TESLA CYBERTRUCK LAUNCH EVENT TIMINGS ANNOUNCED
– Martin Viecha, Head of Investor Relations at Tesla, confirmed the Tesla Cybertruck Delivery Event will commence around 1 p.m. Central Time (CT).
– The event timing translates to 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) and 11 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST), accommodating viewers across the U.S.
– In Europe, the event will be accessible at a convenient time of 8 p.m. Central European Time.
– Tesla’s Product Design Director, Javier Verdura, revealed earlier that only 10 Cybertrucks would be delivered during this event.
BYD HONORS LATE MENTOR CHARLIE MUNGER
– BYD has paid homage to Charlie Munger, Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, acknowledging his instrumental role in securing Warren Buffett’s investment in the company.
– Munger passed away at 99 on November 28 in California.
– His recognition of BYD in 2008 led to Berkshire Hathaway becoming a major shareholder in the Chinese new energy vehicle (NEV) manufacturer.
TESLA TRIUMPHS IN SWEDISH LEGAL BATTLE FOR CAR PLATES
– Tesla achieved an initial legal victory against Swedish authorities, securing an interim court order to obtain car registration plates.
– The legal conflict involved Tesla suing both the Swedish Transport Agency and national postal service, PostNord, due to their refusal to deliver plates amidst a labor dispute.
– A court in Norrköping mandated the Transport Agency to permit Tesla to directly collect plates from its offices within seven days.
– The dispute stems from Tesla mechanics striking in Sweden, with postal workers showing solidarity by halting the delivery of Tesla’s registration plates and spare parts.
– Tesla’s lawsuit sought direct possession of the plates for their vehicles. Additionally, Tesla is suing PostNord, demanding the release of all parcels addressed to the company.
– The strike’s impact intensified when a parts manufacturing factory for Tesla in Sweden halted production in solidarity. Sympathy actions like these, while legal in Sweden, differ from practices in countries like Germany.
– The Swedish Transport Agency, bound by contract to PostNord for mail delivery, claimed it couldn’t use alternative delivery services.
– Tesla accused the Transport Agency and PostNord of discriminatory and damaging actions, terming them an “attack” on Tesla’s operations in Sweden.
– Tesla’s lawsuit also argues that PostNord’s refusal to deliver violates constitutional obligations for essential mail delivery.
TESLA EXPANDS CHARGER ACCESS TO NON-TESLA EVS IN CHINA
– Tesla has broadened access to its charging network in China, allowing various non-Tesla electric vehicle (EV) models to use its facilities. This expansion follows a pilot program initiated in April.
– Over 350 Tesla Supercharger stations and more than 260 destination charging stations in mainland China are now available to other EV brands.
– The Tesla charging network in China is now compatible with 38 models from 30 different brands.
FIAT 500E: A BUDGET-FRIENDLY EV ENTERING THE US MARKET
– The Fiat 500e is set to re-enter the US market as an economically priced electric vehicle, with a starting price below $33,000.
– Fiat’s sales in the US have been modest, with only 145 vehicles sold between July and September, and a total of 427 cars this year, marking a 46% decrease from 2022.
– The suggested retail price for the 500e is $32,500, making it one of the most competitively priced EVs available.
– Already a popular choice in Europe, Fiat aims to replicate the 500e’s success in the American market.
NISSAN’S NEW EUROPEAN EV LINEUP
– Nissan announces plans to manufacture an electric successor to the Leaf and electrified versions of the Juke and Qashqai crossovers in the UK, targeting the European market.
– Production for these new electric vehicles will take place at Nissan’s Sunderland factory, a major production hub for the company in Europe.
– Detailed information on these models, including their names, specifications, and launch dates, will be disclosed in the future.
– The new electric vehicles will replace current models in Nissan’s lineup, though it is not confirmed if the existing model names will be retained.
– The Qashqai, particularly popular in the UK where it was the top-selling vehicle in 2022, is one of the models slated for electrification.
LOTUS UNVEILS ADVANCED EV CHARGING SOLUTIONS
– Lotus introduces a comprehensive range of electric vehicle (EV) charging solutions, including an ultra-fast 450 kW DC charger, a power cabinet, and a multi-vehicle charging unit.
– The new Liquid-Cooled All-in-One DC Charger offers rapid charging capabilities up to 450 kW, significantly reducing charging times. For instance, it can add around 88.5 miles (142 km) of range to the Lotus Eletre R in approximately 5 minutes.
– Charging efficiency is further demonstrated with the ability to achieve a 10% to 80% battery charge in just 20 minutes. Using a 350 kW Rapid Charger, a 5-minute charge can extend the range by 74 miles (120 km).
– The Liquid-Cooled Power Cabinet is designed for high-demand locations like motorway rest stops. It boasts an exceptional power output of up to 480 kW, optimizing efficiency and minimizing charging time.
– The Liquid-Cooled Charging Unit, when used alongside the Power Cabinet, is capable of charging up to four vehicles simultaneously. Its maximum current output of 600 Amp caters to various charging needs, whether it’s a quick top-up or a longer charge for extended drives.
– These charging solutions are scheduled for deployment across most European countries and the Middle East in the second quarter of 2024.
ENHANCED RANGE FOR 2024 VOLKSWAGEN ID.4
– Volkswagen’s 2024 ID.4 model, equipped with an 82-kilowatt-hour battery, promises increased power and extended driving range.
– A significant update includes a new 210 kilowatt rear drive unit, replacing the older 150-kW version, leading to improved efficiency and power without altering the battery size.
– While full specifications have not been fully disclosed, the EPA has listed the new 2024 Volkswagen ID.4.
– The rear-wheel drive ID.4 Pro variant now boasts an EPA Combined range of 291 miles, marking a 16-mile or 5.8% increase from its predecessor.
RIVIAN INTRODUCES R1T ELECTRIC TRUCK LEASING IN SELECT U.S. STATES
– Rivian Automotive has initiated a leasing program for its R1T electric pickup truck, now available in 14 U.S. states.
– States where leasing is offered include Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington.
– Lessees can benefit from the $7,500 federal tax credit applicable to electric vehicle purchases, potentially increasing consumer interest.
– Earlier this month, Rivian increased its annual production forecast by 2,000 vehicles, aiming for a total of 54,000 units, buoyed by strong demand.
VICTORIA TO REFUND EV ROAD TAX AFTER HIGH COURT RULING
– Victorian electric vehicle (EV) owners will receive refunds for a tax deemed unconstitutional, totaling millions of dollars.
– The High Court found the Victorian government’s EV tax invalid, as states lack authority to impose excise taxes on consumption.
– State Treasurer Tim Pallas acknowledged the obligation to reimburse the funds collected through this tax.
– Approximately $7 million was raised from the EV tax since its implementation in mid-2021.
– The process of identifying eligible recipients and executing refunds is expected to take several months.
FORD AND PG&E LAUNCH V2H CHARGING PILOT WITH F-150 LIGHTNING
– Ford collaborates with Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) on a Vehicle-To-Home (V2H) pilot program in California, focusing on the interaction of electric vehicles with electrical distribution systems.
– The initiative, referred to as Vehicle-to-Everything by PG&E, aims to integrate electric vehicles more closely with home and grid systems.
– The pilot involves the use of Ford F-150 Lightning electric trucks to test the V2H technology in real-world scenarios.
– Phase 1 of the pilot will evaluate the use of the F-150 Lightning for home power backup during outages, leveraging bi-directional charging capabilities.
– Future phases will explore using the electric trucks to reduce grid power consumption during high-demand periods.
– The program is available to up to 1,000 residential customers, offering a minimum incentive of $2,500 for enrollment, plus additional rewards up to $2,175 based on participation.
IMPACT OF COLD WEATHER ON EV RANGE: RECURRENT’S FINDINGS
– Recurrent’s annual winter range report reveals that cold temperatures can reduce the range of electric vehicles (EVs) by 16-46%, varying by brand, model, and year.
– The study involved analysis of 17 popular EV brands under freezing conditions, utilizing data from over 10,000 vehicles and numerous on-board device readings.
– Audi’s e-tron showed the least range loss, with only a 16% decrease, while the Volkswagen ID.4 experienced a significant 46% reduction in optimal range during cold weather.
– The report assures that this range loss in freezing temperatures is temporary and does not cause long-term battery damage.
– Heat pump technology, used for cabin heating and cooling, plays a crucial role in minimizing range loss in EVs.
– Recommendations to mitigate winter range loss include:
– Preconditioning the car while it’s still charging to use less energy.
– Lowering the cabin heater after the car warms up and utilizing heated seats and steering wheels for more efficient heating.
– Keeping the EV plugged in with a maximum charge setting of 70-80%, allowing the car to use external power for heating instead of draining the battery.
KIA CHINA LAUNCHES FIRST EV5 ELECTRIC SUV
– Kia China’s first EV5 all-electric SUV has successfully come off the production line.
– This milestone event, announced by Yang Honghai, Chief Operating Officer of Kia China, occurred in Yancheng city, Jiangsu province.
– The production of the EV5 marks the beginning of its global sales, showcasing Kia’s entry into the innovative electric vehicle market.
AAA SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS EV BUYING TRENDS AND CONCERNS
– One in four U.S. adults consider purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) as their next vehicle, consistent with 2022 trends.
– Key motivations for potential EV buyers include fuel cost savings (76%) and environmental concerns (60%).
– Millennials show a higher likelihood (31%) of opting for an EV compared to Generation X (21%) and Baby Boomers (18%).
– Among those inclined to buy an EV, 58% prefer a new vehicle, 26% would consider a used one, and 16% are undecided.
– The main barriers to EV adoption are cost concerns (59%), inadequate charging infrastructure (56%), battery replacement or repair costs (55%), and range anxiety (53%).
– Additionally, 40% of consumers express concerns about the impact of cold weather on EV battery range.
NIO AND GEELY FORGE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP FOR BATTERY SWAP NETWORK
– Nio forms a strategic alliance with Chinese automotive giant Geely Holding Group to expand its battery swap system.
– This collaboration marks Nio’s second major partnership in this area, following its tie-up with Changan Automobile.
– The Nio-Geely partnership will focus on developing battery swap standard systems for both private and commercial vehicles, an aspect not covered in the Changan agreement.
– The two companies plan to enhance the battery swap network by jointly investing, constructing, sharing, and operating both existing and new swap sites.
– Nio’s first battery swap station was established in Shenzhen on May 20, 2018.
– As of now, Nio operates 2,163 battery swap stations across China and has completed approximately 33 million battery swap services.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM NEVO.IE AND THE NEVO EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTROVERSE GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
JAN TORE GJØBY
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
BRENDAN MCCARTHY AT NORTHFORK IRONWORKS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
GARY A HAMMOND
IAN ‘STILL WATERS UK’ BENJAMIN
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS