Thank you to a new Patreon Producer STEW CHAMBERS
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, your trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 16th October, Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to. We go live at 5pm UK, that’s Midday Eastern. Patreon supporters get the episodes as soon as they’re ready and ad free. You can be like them by clicking here.
Tesla Kicks Off Model Y Deliveries in China
– Tesla has initiated deliveries for the updated Model Y crossover in China.
– Although the new Model Y is rolling out, the revamped Model 3 sedan is still waiting to begin its delivery phase.
– The Model Y, which holds the title for the world’s top-selling electric SUV, keeps evolving to cater to market demands.
– Tesla unveiled the refreshed Model Y in China on October 1. Despite the changes, the starting price remains at 263,900 yuan ($36,120).
– Chinese consumers can pick from three Model Y variants:
– Basic Model Y with rear-wheel drive
– Model Y Long Range featuring dual-motor all-wheel drive
– Model Y Performance also sporting dual-motor all-wheel drive.
– Enhancements to the base Model Y have led to increased range and quicker acceleration, and the Model Y Long Range also enjoys an extended range.
– The upgraded Model Y now boasts multi-colored ambient lighting, a refreshed dashboard trim, and sleek 19-inch wheels.
Tesla’s New Feature Predicts Supercharger Stall Availability
– Tesla is introducing a feature to forecast the availability of Supercharger stalls upon a vehicle’s arrival at the station.
– This capability was discovered in the 2023.38 Tesla software update by the software tracker, Not a Tesla App. The feature will estimate the number of Supercharger stalls available when you reach and show any potential wait time.
– To make these predictions, Tesla considers the travel duration to the Supercharger for you and other Tesla cars, helping project the charger’s availability upon your arrival.
– Inputting a Supercharger location in a Tesla vehicle’s navigation system is beneficial for drivers. It not only readies the battery pack for rapid charging but also gives Tesla data about how many vehicles are heading to that specific Supercharger and their expected time of arrival.
– The release of this feature coincides with Tesla’s move to open its Supercharger network to vehicles of other brands. This could complicate predictions since Tesla lacks access to similar data for non-Tesla electric vehicles.
EVgo Expands Fast-Charging Network in US with 150 New Units
– EVgo secured $12.7 million from various funders in California, Colorado, and Pennsylvania for fast-charger expansion.
– A significant portion, over $4.3 million, comes from the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program.
– NEVI’s contribution split: Colorado’s $1.5 million for 14 charging stalls and Pennsylvania’s $2.8 million for 18 charging stalls.
– In California, EVgo was awarded an additional $4.3 million through the Fast and Available Charging for All Californians (FAST) grant.
– A notable past investment for EVgo was the $13.8 million from NEVI to establish 20 fast-charging locations in Ohio.
Ola’s S1 Pro Gen 2 Electric Scooter Hits Indian Roads
– Ola Electric has started delivering its latest offering, the S1 Pro Gen 2.
– The updated scooter is powered by an 11kW motor, showing a marked improvement from the previous 8.5kW motor.
– The scooter houses a 4kWh battery pack.
– On a full charge, it promises a range of 180km.
– The scooter can reach a maximum speed of 120kmph.
– Technological advancements include a 7.0-inch touchscreen that supports navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, and is also capable of receiving over-the-air software updates.
Ford’s F-150 Lightning Crew Faces Temporary Layoffs
– Ford Motor Co. announced the temporary layoff of around 700 workers involved in the production of the all-electric Ford F-150 Lightning.
– The decision is unrelated to the 2023 UAW (United Auto Workers) strike, as clarified by Ford to the Detroit Free Press.
– Starting from Monday, the “C” crew of the F-150 Lightning team has been asked not to show up for work.
– Following this, various crews will take turns to go on layoffs, extending over several weeks.
France’s EV Market Surge: One in Five Opt for Electric in Sept 2023
– Last month witnessed a remarkable 45,872 new plug-in electric car registrations in France, marking a 35% increase compared to the previous year. This amounted to nearly 30% of the total market share.
– This spike is not just a flash in the pan; it’s an impressive leap from the slightly over 24% market share held by plug-in electric cars just a year prior.
– Delving deeper, solely electric passenger car registrations soared past the 30,000 mark, seeing a 34% year-on-year surge. This translates to an astounding 19.6% market share, meaning one out of every five new cars purchased in France is electric.
– Not trailing far behind, plug-in hybrids also saw significant growth, with a 35% year-on-year increase. With 15,699 units finding new homes, these hybrids secured a commendable 10.2% market slice, nearing an all-time high.
– Cumulatively, 2023 has been a bullish year for the French EV market, with over 341,000 new plug-in electric vehicles getting registered.
– Zooming into the nitty-gritty, Tesla’s Model Y clinched the title of the most registered battery electric vehicle (BEV) in France for the period.
UK MG Electric Car Sales Surpass £1bn in 2022
– MG Motors reports its UK sales exceeded £1bn in 2022, positioning the brand favorably amidst the electric vehicle transition.
– Owned by SAIC Motor Corp, a Chinese enterprise, MG’s sales volumes saw an impressive jump, doubling primarily due to the increased appetite for their electric and hybrid models.
– The firm witnessed a significant rise in its pre-tax profits for 2022, accumulating £54.2m, a stark contrast to the previous year’s £4.3m.
– A bit of history: MG Rover, once the UK’s last domestically-owned major car manufacturer, faced bankruptcy in 2005.
– China’s leading car producer, SAIC, acquired a significant portion of MG, with the remainder going to Nanjing Automobile Group. By 2007, the two entities merged.
– MG ZS, one of the more affordable electric vehicles in the UK market, clinched a spot among the top five preferred cars last month as per the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) data.
Nearly Half of New Cars in Netherlands are Plugins
– In September, the Netherlands reported that 47% of their new car sales consisted of plugin vehicles.
– Out of these, 34% were fully electric models.
– Estimates for the entirety of 2023 suggest that plugin cars might account for nearly 50% of all sales, potentially hovering around the 47% mark.
– This strong trend indicates that the Netherlands might complete its transition to electric vehicles (EVs) before the decade concludes.
– Last month, Tesla’s Model Y topped the overall car sales chart in the Netherlands. It saw double the sales of its closest competitor, the VW Polo.
Nio’s ET5 Touring Hits European Roads
– Nio has initiated deliveries of the ET5 Touring in Europe, marking its launch that took place four months prior.
– Delivery events for the ET5 Touring have been conducted in Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Norway, as shared by Nio on its Chinese social media channels.
– For the 75-kWh ET5 Touring variant, the price tag is set at 59,500 euros ($62,600), which includes the battery. For those eyeing the 100-kWh long-distance version, it’s priced at 68,500 euros.
– Opting for the Battery as a Service (BaaS) model when purchasing the ET5 Touring presents considerable savings for customers. In Germany, the 75-kWh model sees a price reduction of €12,000, while the 100-kWh variant enjoys a €21,000 discount.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM NEVO.IE AND THE NEVO EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTROVERSE GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
JAN TORE GJØBY
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
BRENDAN MCCARTHY AT NORTHFORK IRONWORKS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
GARY A HAMMOND
IAN ‘STILL WATERS UK’ BENJAMIN
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS