Welcome to a new Patreon Executive Producer TOMER SHAHAF⚡👍
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, your trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 7th August, Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Trying a new thing so you know when to expect a show. We go live at 5pm UK, that’s Midday Eastern. Patreon supporters get the episodes as soon as they’re ready and ad free. You can be like them by clicking here.
Lucid Cuts Prices in Response to Tesla and Tough Market
– Lucid has reduced it’s including a $5,000 reduction on the Air Pure model to $82,400 and a $12,400 decrease on the Touring to $95,000 and Grand Touring to $125,600 (originally $139,000).
– Air Pure offers an EPA-rated range of 410 miles with standard 19-inch wheels or 384 miles with 20-inch wheels.
– Air Touring models deliver 620 hp and 425-mile range, while Grand Touring models can produce up to 1,050 hp and 516 miles of EPA range, thanks to a larger 112-kwh battery pack (compared to 92 kwh).
– Lucid’s 36-month lease prices are also decreasing to $749 a month for the Air Pure, $1,149 a month for the Touring, and $1,399 a month for the Grand Touring.
– The price drop doesn’t apply to the exclusive tri-motor, 1,200-hp Lucid Air Sapphire model, priced at $250,500. It claims performance numbers that outdo the Tesla Model S Plaid.
– The reduction in prices across the Air lineup may increase sales, following a reported production of 2,173 vehicles and delivery of 1,404 vehicles in the second quarter of 2022.
– Following Tesla’s recent cuts the Model S now priced at $88,490 and its Model S Plaid at $108,490.
– Although lower-priced models from various manufacturers are benefitting from a $7,500 federal tax credit under the Inflation Reduction Act, Lucid’s more expensive Air models are not eligible.
– Lucid was among the first automakers to take advantage of a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 that applies to EV leases, irrespective of sticker price or where the vehicle was made.
– Lucid’s recent financial troubles are expected to be highlighted in the company’s second-quarter earnings report on Monday, with a fall in April-June production due to ongoing supply chain problems.
– The rear-wheel-drive Lucid Air Pure Single Motor is priced at $78,900 and will be available starting in September.
– In May last year, Lucid had raised prices as it faced difficulties in getting cars out of its factory and continued losing money. In February, the company announced that it was getting production back on track after missing its 2022 target of making 20,000 vehicles.
CATL Gears Up for Product Launch on August 16, Teases Fast-Charging Tech
– CATL, the Chinese power battery giant, is planning a new product launch event on August 16.
– While CATL has not provided specifics about the product, there are hints that it may be related to fast-charging battery technology.
– The last major unveiling from CATL was the announcement of the Condensed Battery on April 19 during the Shanghai auto show.
– The Condensed Battery is noteworthy for its high safety and energy density, boasting a single cell energy density of up to 500 Wh/kg. Along with the mesh structure, the Condensed Battery also includes innovations in the isolation film, high-energy anode, and a new type of anode.
– CATL is working on developing this battery technology for civilian electric manned programs, even applying aviation-grade standards for safety and quality.
– The Condensed Battery isn’t just for special applications, though. It’s intended to be used in electric vehicles and will have mass production capability within this year.
Japan Gears Up to Speed Up EV Charging on Highways by 2030
– Japan is planning a significant overhaul of electric vehicle (EV) chargers on highways, aiming to more than double their output, requiring them to be boosted to at least 90 kilowatts, more than double the current average of around 40 kW, by 2030.
– In areas with high traffic and heavy demand, the chargers could be as powerful as 150 kW.
– The government ministry will help cover the costs for operators to upgrade their chargers to the 90 kW standard, making the switch financially easier.
– There’s also a plan to improve billing methods. Since accurate ways to measure output volume are not widely used, charging is often priced based on time, causing confusion for users
BYD Hits Milestone with 5 Millionth NEV Set for Production
– BYD announced its 5 millionth new energy vehicle (NEV) is scheduled to roll off the production line on August 9, marking a significant achievement in its accelerating growth.
– The company’s journey to 5 million NEVs has been swift and impressive. It took 13 years for BYD to produce the first million, only one year for the second million, and just six months to reach 3 million.
– Less than nine months after hitting the 3 million mark, the company is ready to celebrate its 5 millionth NEV. BYD entered the auto industry in 2003 and shifted its focus to NEVs in March 2022, abandoning traditional fuel vehicles to concentrate on electric and plug-in hybrid models.
– BYD has an expansive array of vehicle brands such as the Dynasty, Ocean series, DENZA, Yangwang, and Fangchengbao.
– In July 2023, BYD sold 262,161 vehicles, battery electric vehicles made up 51.62% of sales, with plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) accounting for the remaining.
– Overseas sales have been flourishing, with an astonishing 18,169 units sold in July alone. BYD opened a brand experience center in Wuhan on May 20. Spanning five floors and 6,550 square meters, this space showcases various brands, models, technologies, and hosts user activities.
Used Tesla Model 3 Qualifies for $4,000 Tax Credit in the US
– Used Tesla vehicles, including the Model 3, are now eligible for a $4,000 tax credit.
– To qualify for the full credit, individual taxpayers must have an annual income of around $50,000 but no higher than $75,000. The credit is not refundable and cannot be carried over to other tax years. For married couples, the income range is $65,000 to $150,000.
– If you earn too much, you’ll lose the entire credit, and if your income is too low, you’ll only lose part of it.
– The credit will be given when you file your taxes, which might be up to 7 months after purchasing the car. – To be eligible for the credit, you must purchase the car from a licensed dealer or use a specific service like Keysavvy.
– The tax credit will be given only if the car’s manufacturer has submitted the necessary paperwork for the specific make and model, which Tesla has done.
Stellantis Announces Affordable Electric Fiat Panda
– Stellantis is gearing up to launch a low-cost, full-electric vehicle inspired by the Fiat Panda. This new EV model will cost under €25,000 ($27,347) and is scheduled to be revealed in July 2024.
– The company’s objective is to take on rivals such as Renault’s Dacia Spring.
– In addition to this new Fiat model, Stellantis also has plans to introduce a full-electric city car under its French brand, Citroën. The car, known as the e-C3, will be produced in Slovakia to control costs and is set to be priced below €25,000. It will hit the market early next year.
– With Chinese brands entering the European market, the pressure to provide cost-effective electric options is escalating.
Volkswagen’s California T7 Camper to Debut as Plug-in Hybrid in 2024
– Volkswagen’s next-generation California camper will be released with a plug-in hybrid powertrain next year
– Design sketches of the upcoming California were released before the Düsseldorf Caravan Salon trade fair on August 25th, showcasing a pop-out roof and gazebo.
– Unlike the outgoing T6.1 model, the new California is suggested to have two sliding doors. This change would solve a problem for buyers in right-hand drive markets.
– The new California camper will utilize the same plug-in hybrid powertrain as the Multivan, which combines a 148bhp 1.4-liter petrol engine with a 114bhp electric motor.
Ford Tests Chinese EV Zeekr 001 Amidst Plan to Expand Electric Lineup
– Recently, Ford was spotted benchmarking the Zeekr 001, a Chinese EV soon to be available in Europe but not yet sold in the U.S.
– The Zeekr 001 recently received an update, offering an optional massive 140 kWh battery pack with an impressive 641 miles of range.
– The design of Zeekr 001 remains the same since its debut in 2021, featuring unique exterior styling and a modern interior. Inside, there’s a 14.7-inch infotainment screen, 8.8-inch digital gauge cluster, 5.7-inch rear passenger screen, and optional amenities like air suspension, Nappa leather, and three-zone climate control.
– The Zeekr 001 is priced at $43,500 in China. However, the European price for this EV has not yet been disclosed.
Kia UK Hits 50,000 EV Sales with Record Performance in July 2023
– Kia UK achieved a significant milestone by selling 50,000 electric vehicles (EVs) as of July 2023
– July marked a record-breaking month for Kia in the UK with 1,555 fully electric vehicles.
– Kia’s EV history began with the Soul EV in April 2015, later followed by models like the e-Niro, the second-generation Soul EV, and the EV6.
– The EV6 brought innovative design and technology to Kia’s lineup with features like 800V charging capabilities, allowing charging from 10-80% in just 18 minutes at the fastest chargers.
– This year, Kia introduced the seven-seat electric SUV EV9, equipped with a 99.8kWh battery, providing over 300 miles per charge and benefiting from the same 800V charging capabilities as the EV6.
Kia Halts EV9 Reservations in Canada Amid Overwhelming Demand
– Kia has suspended reservations for the EV9 in Canada due to receiving a “notably high” number of pre-orders.
– For the 2024 model year, only 500 EV9s have been allocated to Canada.
– Production of the EV9 will begin in South Korea, with manufacturing also planned at Kia’s West Point Assembly Plant in Georgia starting from 2024.
– The EV9 may be eligible for a $7,500 tax credit in the U.S. starting next year due to the Georgia production.
– In the U.S., the starting price for the EV9 is expected to be around $55,000.
Leaked Video Unveils the Tesla Cybertruck’s Compact Front Trunk
– A leaked video has revealed the front trunkof Tesla’s Cybertruck, relatively small in comparison to what many might have anticipated. There looks much less space than a Ford F-150 Lightning or Chevrolet Silverado EV.
Colorado’s Electric Vehicle Discounts: Up to $26,500 in Savings for Buyers
– Colorado residents may soon qualify for up to $26,500 in discounts when purchasing a new electric vehicle (EV).
– U.S. EV tax credit offers $7,500 but has restrictions based on income, vehicle type, and other factors.
– The CO EV tax credit of $5,000 is available now, with no income restrictions.
– A CO low-cost EV tax credit of $2,500 is set to be available on January 1, 2024, for vehicles costing less than $35,000.
– The CO vehicle exchange program provides a $6,000 discount for new plug-in hybrid or electric vehicles or $4,000 off used ones, starting in August 2023.
– Xcel Energy offers rebates of $5,500 or $3,000 depending on the vehicle type and income, available now.
– The state prefers to encourage EV adoption through incentives rather than bans on gasoline cars, focusing on investing in chargers and purchase incentives.
– The Vehicle Exchange Colorado program encourages low- to medium-income residents to trade aging gas vehicles for EVs, offering point-of-sale discounts.
– The full $7,500 federal rebate applies only to vehicles meeting specific domestic supply chain requirements.
– Colorado’s tax credits are refundable, meaning you get the full amount no matter your state taxes, but the federal credit is non-refundable.
– Some discounts like the basic state and federal tax credits must be claimed during tax filing, while others like Xcel Energy’s rebates and the vehicle exchange program can be applied at the point of sale.
Trump Rouses Opposition to Electric Cars
– Former President Donald Trump criticized both the rise in gas prices AND the push for electric vehicles during his speech at the South Carolina Republican Party’s Silver Elephant Dinner.
– Trump questioned the crowd’s opinion on electric cars, saying, “Does everybody like the idea of all electric and you can drive for one hour?” leading to loud booing from the audience.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM NEVO.IE AND THE NEVO EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTROVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
JAN TORE GJØBY
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
BRENDAN MCCARTHY AT NORTHFORK IRONWORKS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
GARY A HAMMOND
IAN ‘STILL WATERS UK’ BENJAMIN
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS