Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, your trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 23rd March it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD SEES $3 BILLION PRETAX LOSS IN ITS EV BUSINESS THIS YEAR
– Summary: Ford expects its electric vehicle business unit to lose $3 billion this year. Ford’s projections for the unit’s three-year losses from 2021-2023 total $6 billion. Starting with first-quarter results, the company will begin reporting by business unit for Model e (electric vehicles), Blue (combustion vehicles) and Pro (commercial vehicles and services). They intend to have the capacity to build 600,000 electric vehicles by the end of 2023 and 2 million by late 2026. Profits from its commercial and traditional internal combustion engine business units will help to offset the losses from EV production. Ford will continue to lose a similar amount every year until it becomes profitable before taxes in late 2026.
TESLA EXPECTS TO LOSE FULL $7500 TAX CREDIT ON ITS CHEAPEST ELECTRIC CAR
– Summary: Tesla expects to lose the full $7,500 federal tax credit on its cheapest electric car, the Model 3 Standard Range, due to its battery cells being sourced from China. The new tax credit program requires battery production in North America and battery material sourcing in countries with free trade agreements with the US in order to get access to up to half of $7,500 credit, but the IRS has yet to release detailed guidance about how those requirements will be accounted for. Tesla’s other Model Y and Model 3 vehicles are expected to retain access to the full tax credit as they use battery cells built by Tesla or Panasonic in the US.
TREASURY GUIDANCE ON ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX CREDIT DUE NEXT WEEK
– Summary: The Biden administration will release proposed guidance next week for the domestic sourcing requirements for electric vehicles to qualify for the Inflation Reduction Act’s clean energy incentives. This guidance was included in the nearly $370 billion in climate change measures in the act, which limits tax credits to EVs made using domestically produced minerals and batteries. The assistance from the Treasury Department is meant to reduce emissions in transportation and protect Americans from spikes in gas prices while strengthening the US supply chain. It also seeks to ensure the US and allies are not reliant on China for critical minerals in the future. Companies have announced tens of billions of dollars in EV and battery manufacturing since the act’s enactment.
SAIC-GM SHOWING OFF THE CADILLAC LYRIQ AT TESLA SUPERCHARGER STATION IN CHINA
– Summary: The Cadillac Lyriq electric crossover has been released in China, and in an attempt to increase public interest, a sales team has been offering free test drives of the Lyriq at a Tesla Supercharger station in Shanghai. Some Tesla owners were unhappy about this move, while others thought it was a smart tactic. The Lyriq is available in RWD and AWD versions with different power outputs and driving ranges.
NEW HYUNDAI IONIQ 6 OWNERS GET ELECTRIFY AMERICA DEAL
– Summary: Hyundai and Volkswagen’s charging subsidiary Electrify America have agreed to provide two years of complimentary charging sessions to first-time owners of the Ioniq 6 EV at Electrify America’s DC fast chargers. The deal also applies to the Kona Electric and Ioniq 5. The Ioniq 6 can charge up to 80% in 18 minutes due to its 800-Volt architecture and has a driving range of up to 361 miles. The deal is meant to provide convenient access to fast charging for long-distance trips.
AUDI Q8 E-TRON SUV REVIEW: MORE RANGE, MORE PUNCH
– Summary: “The biggest uplift to Q8 E-Tron spec if the improved battery range. And it needed it – the old model’s claimed 249-mile WLTP range would have just about been acceptable in 2018, but against today’s 350-plus mile rivals, it was well off the pace. And that was the claimed range – in testing, we were averaging 170 miles in the old E-Tron. To improve the situation, Audi has crammed in more battery capacity. The entry-level 50 model gets an 89kWh battery capacity while the 55 and SQ8 get 106kWh. Maximum claimed range is up to 281 miles for the smaller battery and 343 miles for the larger set-up. Sounds good. Charging hardware has also been uprated, with the 50 getting 150kW fast charging capability and the 55/SQ8 170kW. For both, that means a 10-80% charge in around 30 minutes on costly ultra-rapid chargers and the potential to gain around 76 miles in just 10 minutes. This is needed – these are big batteries. According to the trip computer, it was averaging 2.5-2.7 miles per kWh, which by our reckoning would mean the larger-battery Q8 E-Tron’s range would be well shy of 300 miles. Not impressive for a 106kWh battery pack. This is a useful update of the E-Tron that’s delivered what it set out to do – to bring it back up to class standards. It now offers a competitive claimed range from its enormous battery packs, and the comfort and tech are up there with the best. It’s a lovely place to sit and drive around in, and now handles more sharply – something we’d welcome. On the downside, it’s big, heavy and inefficient, and outdriven by the Jaguar I-Pace and BMW iX. The Q8 E-Tron, though, is a safe bet, and perfectly judged for those who want a luxury electric SUV without shouting about it.”
– Original Source: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/audi/q8-e-tron/
RIVIAN PREPARES OWNERS FOR TESLA SUPERCHARGER USE IN LATEST OTA UPDATE
– Summary: Rivian is releasing a new Over-the-Air update that will allow owners to use Tesla’s Supercharger Network with their Magic Dock. This is part of Tesla’s decision to open select Superchargers to other EV manufacturers to qualify for government funding. Rivian owners can now access the Supercharger locations in the in-car navigation and the Rivian mobile app. Additionally, the update includes a free one-year trial of TuneIn Premium, Plug and Charge functionality, and various other improvements such as fan control in the third row, phone key and key fob proximity unlocking consistency, and improved range loss when a phone key is near the vehicle.
CUPRA TO LAUNCH LARGER PREMIUM EVS FROM 2028
– Summary: Cupra is planning to launch larger premium EVs from 2028, targeting the North American market. These vehicles will be based on the Volkswagen Group’s SSP platform, which is a combination of the MEB and PPE platforms, and will be fully electric. The last internal combustion engine (ICE) car from Cupra will be the Terramar SUV, due in 2024. Cupra is currently testing the brand in North America, and plans to enter the market by 2030, once the brand has achieved 3-4% market share in Europe. Investments to make cars ready for the US market are considerable and are Cupra’s priority before looking for new markets.
REPORT: CATL’S NEW QILIN BATTERY ENTERS SERIES PRODUCTION – INSIDEEVS
– Summary: CATL has begun series production of their new Qilin battery system, which is an upgrade from their previous battery systems. It has the potential to power cars to a range of 622 miles (1,000 km) under the CLTC test cycle, and the Zeekr 009 model is the first to be equipped with it. It has a driving range of 511 miles (822 km) under the CLTC test cycle, and the Zeekr 001 model is promised to offer 622 miles (1,000 km) of range. Other manufacturers such as Aito are also waiting for CATL’s latest battery tech. CATL claims their product is 13% more powerful than the 4680-type battery system, with higher volumetric integration, better thermal efficiency, and faster charging.
TESLA OPENS MORE SUPERCHARGERS IN EUROPE FOR 3RD PARTY USE
– Summary: Tesla has opened many of its Superchargers in Europe for use by other electric car brands. This has increased the number of approved stations significantly, with 69 locations in Germany alone. In the Netherlands, almost all Tesla Superchargers are open for use, with the exception of the recently opened V4 Supercharger. This Supercharger has a longer charging cable to make it easier to charge other electric cars.
TESLA MODEL 3 USED PRICES ARE DOWN MORE THAN $11000
– Summary: The used prices of Tesla’s Model 3 vehicle have dropped by 21.5% since last year’s peak and by more than $11,000 on average. This decrease is due to Tesla offering discounts at the end of the quarter, as well as the new federal EV tax credit. The Model 3 has had the biggest price drop in the last 6 months compared to other used vehicles, and prices are expected to continue to decrease. This is due to the increasing supply of used EVs on the market, as well as the addition of new features like radar on newer vehicles.
– Original Source: https://electrek.co/2023/03/22/tesla-model-3-used-prices-down/
TESLA OFFERS EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT TO SELECT S3XY MODELS
– Summary: Tesla is offering an Extended Service Agreement (ESA) to select S3XY models, extending specific coverage by up to 2 years or 25,000 miles. The agreement covers the repair and replacement of parts needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship, but excludes items such as consumable and maintenance parts, suspension alignment, appearance care, shock absorbers, upholstery wear and tear, and wheels/tires. The ESA can be purchased through the Tesla App or at a Service Center before the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty expires. For more information, please click the link. Prices range from $1,800 to $2,000
AMERICANS ARE FINALLY GETTING ON BOARD WITH E-BIKES
– Summary: This article discusses the increasing popularity of e-bikes as an alternative to electric vehicles in the effort to reduce greenhouse gases and combat climate change. It looks at the proposed Electric Bicycle Incentive Kickstart for the Environment Act and the potential it has to encourage more people to switch from gasoline cars to e-bikes. It also mentions a study from the University of Toronto which suggests that electric vehicles alone are not enough to limit climate change. The article concludes that replacing motor vehicles with e-bikes may be more efficient and less wasteful, and therefore could help to preserve the planet for future generations.
HOW ELECTRIC CARS CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THE UK’S ENERGY SECURITY
– Summary: Claire Miller, director of technology and innovation at Octopus Electric Vehicles, has overseen trials in which Nissan Leaf owners were able to use their vehicles’ batteries to store and return energy to the grid. The potential for electric cars to contribute to the UK’s energy security is enormous, and the data from the trials is being analyzed. If the technology is developed for mass adoption, it could provide 20GW of energy storage equivalent to 31 million solar panels. Miller believes that the infrastructure required to get cars and chargers talking to each other and the grid should be available on a wider scale by the start of next year. She stresses the importance of green technology as part of the solution to the cost of living crisis, and calls for decisive action to change the narrative and highlight the potential benefits for all.
LEVC CELEBRATES PRODUCTION OF ITS 10,000TH VEHICLE IN UK
– Summary: LEVC (London Electric Vehicle Company) has reached a significant milestone of producing its 10,000th vehicle at their facility in Ansty, Coventry, UK. The TX electric taxi is the world’s most advanced and has been sold in multiple global markets. This year marks 200 years since the first Hackney carriage was licensed in London, and 75 years since the first ‘black cab’ as we know it was born. LEVC has seen record-breaking sales of the TX taxi and now represents more than 40% of all black cabs in London. To date, the TX has travelled over 534 million miles and prevented 162,000 tonnes of CO2 from being emitted. Alex Nan, CEO of LEVC, has commented on the milestone and the company’s new strategy which will see them become a leading zero-carbon mobility technology company.
UMICORE GETS GREEN LIGHT FOR VW PARTNERSHIP – RECYCLING TODAY
– Summary: Umicore has received European Union approval for its joint venture with the PowerCo business unit of the Volkswagen Group. The partnership includes efforts in both Europe and Canada and aims to produce cathode active materials and precursor materials from 2025 on, sufficient to meet an annual production capacity capable of powering about 2.2 million electric vehicles. The joint venture will explore refining and battery recycling opportunities to establish a closed-loop business model and the production site and name of the joint venture will be disclosed in due course.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS