Welcome to a new Patreon supporter MICHAEL SHPILT who signed up last Sunday.
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, your trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 9th March it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
2023 MERCEDES-BENZ EQE SUV PRICING REVEALED WITH AN INTRIGUING TWIST
– Summary: The 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE SUV will be available in three powertrain options, with the RWD 350+ model and AWD 350 4Matic priced the same at $79,050. The 500 4Matic offers more performance, with 536 horsepower and a 0-60 mph time of 4.6 seconds, for a cost of $90,650. It includes added features like the AMG Line exterior package, 20-inch wheels, leather upholstery, 10-degree rear-axle steering system, and more. The EQE SUV is set to compete with the BMW iX and Audi E-Tron.
It will be built in Alabama and is the middle model of three fully electric SUVs Mercedes-Benz will have for sale in the U.S., alongside the EQB and EQS SUV models. It is expected to have cells for its battery sourced from the US.
The 350 models fall just below the $80,000 threshold currently set for SUVs and trucks to qualify.
Equipped with a CCS connector that supports over 170 kW, the EQE SUV can recharge from 10% to 80% in 32 minutes. Mercedes plans to offer two years of unlimited 30-minute Electrify America fast-charging sessions in the near future. Additionally, the EQE SUV comes with a 9.6 kW onboard charger, which can fully charge the vehicle on a 240-volt outlet in approximately 9.5 hours.
The vehicle can have an optional air suspension with continuously adjustable damping, which enables the car to increase its ground clearance by up to one inch. Furthermore, the rear-wheel steering system enhances low-speed maneuverability and high-speed stability.
Just don’t tick any options if you want the tax credit!
– Original Source: – Original Source: https://evne.ws/3F9tZzU
TESLA MODEL Y UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR STEERING WHEELS FALLING OFF
– Summary: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is conducting a preliminary investigation into 120,000 of Tesla Model Y due to reports of steering wheels falling off while owners are driving. There have been two reported incidents of this happening, and both vehicles had not had the retaining bolt installed to attach the steering wheel to the steering column. The investigation aims to identify the scope, frequency, and manufacturing processes associated with this condition and could result in a recall of affected products.
2023 NISSAN ARIYA RECALLED BECAUSE STEERING WHEEL MIGHT DETACH
– Summary: Nissan is recalling certain 2023 Nissan Ariya electric SUVs due to the possibility of the steering wheel detaching.
This was discovered after two reports were received from dealers of a loose steering wheel on brand-new Ariya crossovers. An investigation revealed that a technician had either used too little torque for the steering wheel bolt or forgotten to install it. All 418 vehicles in stock were inspected and one additional vehicle was identified with a loose steering wheel. Affected owners will be notified by first-class mail no later than March 30th and the steering wheel bolt will be replaced by dealers, which takes a little under an hour.
Owners are encouraged to check their cars and contact a dealership if the wheel appears loose. The recall covers 1,063 vehicles, with only 0.18% estimated to be affected.
VW MAY PREFER US OVER EASTERN EUROPE FOR BATTERY CELL FACTORY
– Summary: Volkswagen may be looking to build its first battery cell factory in North America due to the potential incentive of up to €10 billion as part of the US Inflation Reduction Act. The company is waiting for a reaction from the EU before deciding to move forward with plans to build a plant in Eastern Europe.
Other European battery manufacturers may also be looking to the US for their next factories due to the potential subsidies.
Northvolt could also prefer the US over Germany for its next battery factory, as it could receive the equivalent of more than €8 billion in subsidies. However, the EU has yet to provide concrete measures to incentivize the construction of factories in Europe.
VW CONFIRMS DEBUT OF 2024 ID.BUZZ LWB U.S.-SPEC VERSION IN JUNE
– Summary: Volkswagen has confirmed that the long-wheelbase version of the ID.Buzz electric van will debut in June in the US for the 2024 model year. It will have seven seats as standard, a larger battery pack than the 77.0-kWh pack available elsewhere, and a single rear-mounted electric motor producing 201 horsepower. An optional dual-motor all-wheel-drive upgrade will be available with 295 horsepower. Further information, including pricing, range estimates, and on-sale date, will be available when the van debuts in June.
For the U.S. it will be the extended wheelbase version, not the smaller 5-seater version currently available in Europe. It is expected to have a battery capacity of 82 kWh and a range of around 200 to 250 miles.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/3l0Jjbj
VINFAST OWNER SETS UP EV RENTAL SERVICE GSM
– Summary: The founder of VinFast has established a rental service for electric cars and scooters in Vietnam. Initially, GSM will offer a fleet of 10,000 electric cars and 100,000 electric scooters, as well as its own all-electric taxi service in Hanoi. The cars will be VinFast vehicles, and the company seeks to promote EVs and create awareness of their convenience, intelligence, and sustainability by offering test drives and other opportunities.
ELECTRIC BICYCLE GIANT BAFANG EXPANDS INTO ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES WITH POWERFUL NEW MOTORS
– Summary: Electric bicycle giant Bafang has announced the formation of T&D, a new brand to expand its influence into the electric motorcycle industry. The company has unveiled its first drivetrains, the FE01 Off-Road Drive System and the LI01 City Commuting Drive System, which offer powerful peak power, torque, and speed. Bafang is emphasizing the environmental aspect of electric motorcycles and the company’s name reflects its commitment to green mobility solutions. The company is hopeful that their drivetrains will result in more affordable electric motorcycles and that they will be available before the end of the year.
The new drivetrains offer up to 60 kW of peak power and 125 Nm of torque and the LI01 system offers a top speed of 80 km/h and a 3.6 kWh battery.
CHALMERS RESEARCHERS REVEAL 500 KW INDUCTION TECHNOLOGY
– Summary: Chalmers University researchers have developed an induction technology with nearly 100% efficiency, capable of charging at 500 kW, which is on par with wired solutions. The technology is nearly ready for commercialization due to the use of high-power semiconductors such as silicon carbide components, which allow for higher voltage, temperature, and switching frequency compared to classic silicon components. Furthermore, the researchers are working with four times higher frequencies than previous wireless charging systems, making induction attractive. They are in contact with two companies leading in SiC technology to further improve the components.
REPUBLICANS AIM TO BLOCK CALIFORNIA’S ‘HEAVY-HANDED’ EV MANDATES – FOX NEWS
– Summary: A group of House Republicans have introduced legislation that would restrict California’s ability to ban traditional gas-powered cars as part of their electric vehicle push. The bill is designed to protect consumer freedom of choice and prevent higher costs. California’s 2035 rule would affect more than 40% of total US car purchases, and the legislation is intended to prevent California from implementing stricter emissions standards than the federal government. The Representatives behind the bill argue that the government should not be allowed to take away consumer choice.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/42bUT4j
TESLA VETERANS CREATE $125K ELECTRIC TRAILER THAT CAN BE TOWED WITHOUT HURTING EV RANGE
– Summary: Two Tesla veterans, Ben Parker and Toby Kraus, have founded a new company called Lightship that has created an electric-assisted camping trailer called the L1. It is designed to be aerodynamic and have an 80 kWh battery on-board, so that it can be towed by an electric vehicle without affecting its range. It also has up to 3 kW of solar power to power its occupants. The trailer is 27 feet long, 8.5 feet wide, and up to 10 feet tall, and can sleep four to six people. It is priced at $125,000, but can be pre-ordered for $5,000 with production set to begin in late 2024.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/3F6wxig
AMID FIRE CONCERN, NYC BANNING SALE OF ELECTRIC BIKES WITHOUT UL-LISTED BATTERIES
– Summary: New York City is banning the sale of electric bicycles, electric scooters and other electric mobility devices that are not UL-certified, in order to reduce the risk of fires caused by lithium-ion batteries. The new law requires electric mobility devices sold in NYC to be certified to the UL 2849 standard, which covers not just the battery in an electric bicycle but also the motor and drivetrain. The move is expected to be beneficial to the e-bike industry, as it will allow the growth of the category while keeping people safe. While lithium-ion battery fires are rare, they have resulted in some significant property damage and fatalities, prompting the new law. This could be a sign of legislation to come in more cities and states, or even at a national level.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/3J3F2Mn
EV TRANSMISSIONS: MORE RATIOS ARE BETTER
– Summary: EV transmissions are much simpler than those used in standard combustion engine vehicles, with fewer components and a simpler powertrain. Electric motors in EVs can provide maximum torque at zero RPM and an extended power band, making them more efficient and allowing for better acceleration without sacrificing range or battery life. Different types of EV transmissions are available, including single-speed, multi-speed, and continuously variable options. Bosch has developed a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that offers up to 4% greater energy savings, and Inmotive has developed a two-speed transmission that provides faster speedups, enhanced gradeability, less motor stress, and ultimately, extended range. These advanced technologies offer significant advantages over single-speed transmissions, and as technology advances, they will likely continue to be applied to maximize range and performance.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/3JnLsqR
WYCLEF JEAN LAUNCHED THE ‘LIGHTEST ELECTRIC SUPERCAR’ THAT CAN GO 0 TO 60 IN 2.3 SEC
– Summary: Wyclef Jean, the Haitian rapper and musician, officially launched the Attucks Apex APO electric supercar at The Amelia in Florida. The APO is the lightest-ever electric supercar on the market, with an ultralow weight of 1200 kg, a top speed of 190 mph, and acceleration from 0-60 mph in 2.3 seconds. It was launched in collaboration with Attucks Futures and Technology, a business founded by Wyclef Jean to promote innovation and sustainability. The APO electric supercar will start at around $350,000 and is set for its official release next year.
He claims is the lightest-ever electric supercar on the market.
– Original Source: https://evne.ws/3L6rcLP
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS