Trying a new thing so you know when to expect a show. We go live at 5pm UK, that’s Midday Eastern. Patreon supporters get the episodes as soon as they’re ready and ad free. You can be like them by clicking here.
Welcome to a new Patreon supporter ROB HAMMOND who signed up last Thursday.
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 7th March it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLVO CARS ALL-ELECTRIC SALES CLIMB TO 19% OF ALL SALES IN FEBRUARY
– Summary: Volvo Cars reported record sales of 51,286 cars in February, up 22% compared to the same month last year, with the sales growth being mainly driven by the company’s Recharge line up of fully electric and plug-in hybrid cars. Recharge models accounted for 40% of all Volvo cars sold globally in February, with fully electric car sales increasing by 187% and representing 18.7% of total sales. In the US, Recharge cars accounted for 29% of total sales, whilst in Europe, Recharge cars made up 64% of total sales, with electrics accounting for 31.6%.
– Original Source: https://www.greencarcongress.com/2023/03/20230306-volvocars.html
VOLKSWAGEN TARGETS 200,000 SCOUT EV 4X4S AT NEW US FACTOR
– Summary: Volkswagen’s Scout brand is set to launch an electric 4×4 vehicle in 2026, featuring SUV and pick-up variants. The vehicles will be built in South Carolina in the US, with a projected production of up to 200,000 per year. The 4×4 will possess a strong stance and upright posture reminiscent of classic Scout models, with substantial ground clearance and large off-road tyres. It will be powered by a newly designed EV platform, backed by batteries and electronics from Magna (they’ve got the skills, they build the Merc G-Class after all). VW has denied any involvement between Scout and Ford, despite rumours of a possible technical tie-up. The factory will also make a 4×4 SUV equivalent for Audi
TESLA SLASHES PRICES FOR MODEL S AND MODEL X IN US
– Summary: Tesla has reduced the prices of their Model S sedan and Model X SUV in the U.S. for the second time this year, potentially in an effort to boost sales before the end of the quarter. Model S dropping from $104,990 to $89,990 and the Model X falling from $120,990 to $99,990. This is the fifth time Tesla has reduced prices in the past several months, and CEO Elon Musk discussed the importance of efficient manufacturing and cost cutting at a recent investor day. Neither car is eligible for Federal Tax rebates, but the price cuts are likely to sway potential buyers. Model 3 and Y vehicles do still qualify for the $7,500 federal tax incentive in the U.S. for the rest of the month.
TESLA GIGAFACTORY MEXICO, MORE DETAILS ARE COMING IN
– Summary: Tesla recently announced their plans to build Gigafactory Mexico near Monterrey, Nuevo León. The factory will span 4,200 acres and cost Tesla around $5 billion to build. It is expected to employ 7,000 people directly and create tens of thousands of jobs indirectly. Governor Samuel García confirmed that Tesla plans to start production next year, and Tesla’s head of automotive has said they plan to build at a record pace like their Shanghai factory. This is an exciting project for Tesla as they will be applying the knowledge they have gained from other factories to create the “alien dreadnought” for their new vehicle platform.
– Original Source: https://electrek.co/2023/03/06/tesla-gigafactory-mexico-more-details/
TESLA BREAKS GROUND AT SOUTH TEXAS LITHIUM PLANT
– Summary: Tesla is planning to open a lithium manufacturing plant near Corpus Christi, Texas later this year. The plant will process lithium and other raw materials to produce battery-grade lithium hydroxide for electric vehicle batteries. It will have an annual capacity of 50 gigawatt hours, which could potentially power up to 1 million electric vehicles per year. Tesla has applied and received tax breaks for the proposed $375 million plant, and recently purchased land in Nueces County for the project. Additionally, Tesla has plans to expand its operations in Nevada with a $3.6 billion investment, which has been approved for $330 million in tax breaks. Refining could start by the end of 2024
In a non-official groundbreaking (!), Tesla broke ground on the new lithium plant located 200 miles south of its headquarters in Austin, Texas. This comes as lithium demand has increased due to the rise in electric vehicle sales. The cost of lithium has increased 550% between 2021 and 2022. The new facility will be the first of its kind in North America and will support battery materials processing, refining, and manufacturing. This investment is bringing positive growth to the area, with other businesses investing in the region to support the plant and create more job opportunities.
– Original Source: https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/tesla-lithium-plant-17822542.php
TXDOT TO ADD ELECTRIC VEHICLE LANES TO US 75 THIS YEAR
– Summary: The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDoT) is looking to promote the usage of electric vehicles for transportation by creating EV-friendly lanes on the US 75 highway. The lanes will be open to low-emission vehicles for two hours in the morning and evening, during which time the highway will operate with five general usage lanes. The project is part of an electric vehicle infrastructure plan for the state of Texas that was developed in the spring of 2022, with the goal of providing electric alternative fuel corridors to interstate routes first, followed by urban areas and routes off of the interstate. TxDOT is securing the necessary funds to get the project on the right track.
– Original Source: https://localprofile.com/2023/03/06/txdot-electric-vehicle-lanes-us-75/
PORSCHE, FERRARI PUSH E-FUELS TO THE HEART OF EU ENGINE DEBATE
– Summary: Porsche and Ferrari are pushing for an exception to the EU’s proposed 2035 ban on new internal combustion engine vehicles for synthetic e-fuels. This has reopened debates around the economic and social forces at play in the transition to green tech, as well as the question of how Europe will manage the shift to electric vehicles. Germany and Italy, both home to iconic sports car brands, are leading the push for e-fuels, and Formula 1 has announced plans to switch to synthetic fuels for the 2026 season. E-fuels are essentially renewable electricity converted into a combustible liquid, and can allow for the continuation of lightweight sports cars with roaring engines. However, most automakers are investing heavily in electric cars, and do not want distractions from a potentially costly alternative.
“The 2035 ICE ban was due to take place on March 7, but was indefinitely delayed amid fears that Germany could abstain, which would torpedo the regulation. “I would call it now almost pathetic,” Thomas Ingenlath, CEO of luxury brand Polestar, said in an interview. “The industry and the politicians should finally give that very clear signal about what is the journey ahead”
“The automotive industry’s electrification trend is at this point a kind of runaway train,” Roberto Vavassori, an executive at the Italian brake maker Brembo, said in an interview. “It could be even worse to halt or delay because of the huge amount of carmakers’ investment”
PORSCHE 911 GT2 RS REPORTEDLY GOING HYBRID WITH 919-SOURCED TECH
– Summary: The Porsche 911 GT2 RS is reportedly set to become the most powerful and fastest-accelerating street-legal version of the 911 with a mild-hybrid system made up of an evolution of the 911 Turbo’s 3.8-liter turbocharged flat-six, an electric motor and a small battery pack, sourced from Porsche’s 24 Hours of Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid. Aiming for a total output of over 700 horsepower, the next GT2 RS is expected to debut in 2026 with a price tag of over $300,000 and a weight of no more than 220 pounds heavier than the last-generation car. Additionally, the hybrid system is set to make its way to less powerful and more affordable variants of the 911 before the end of the decade.
– Original Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/06/porsche-911-gt2-rs-hybrid-rumor/
HONDA PLANS EV DIVISION, HINTS AT TESLA-LIKE CHARGING NETWORK
– Summary: Honda is set to jump into the battery-electric vehicle segment with the launch of its first volume EV in 2024, the Prologue SUV, which is being developed on General Motors’ Ultium platform. The automaker also plans to launch EVs based on their own e:Architecture platform in 2026, as well as a line of affordable EVs in 2027 in collaboration with GM. Honda is also developing a new EV brand, Afeela, with Sony, with the first Afeela model set to go into production in 2025. Honda plans to launch 30 EVs globally by 2030, including two sports cars, and will be establishing a standalone business unit to manage all EV efforts. Honda is also considering establishing their own network of charging stations similar to Tesla’s to support EV customers.
– Original Source: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiaGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm1vdG9yYXV0aG9yaXR5LmNvbS9uZXdzLzExMzg5NTFfaG9uZGEtcGxhbnMtZXYtZGl2aXNpb24taGludHMtYXQtdGVzbGEtbGlrZS1jaGFyZ2luZy1uZXR3b3Jr0gEA?oc=5
CAR INDUSTRY EXPECTS ALMOST 500,000 EV SALES THIS YEAR AS DEMAND SPIKES
– Summary: The car industry in the UK is expecting almost 500,000 new hybrid and electric cars to be on the roads this year due to increasing production and sales. February saw a 26.2% increase in new registrations compared to last year, while hybrid electric vehicles saw the most significant growth of all fuel types at a 40% increase. The SMMT is calling for the upcoming budget to address affordability and access to charging for electric vehicles in order to meet the 2030 ban on the sale of new cars powered by petrol and diesel.
BP PULSE OPENS LARGEST CHARGING HUB YET IN THE UK
– Summary: BP Pulse has opened its largest and most powerful EV charging hub in the UK. Located in Kettering, North Northamptonshire, the hub features ten 300 kW chargers with a capacity of 3 megawatts, capable of charging up to 20 vehicles simultaneously (150kW per car). BP is investing up to £18 billion in EV charging infrastructure, including a new charging hub in the West Midlands with 16 chargers and plans to have “hundreds of additional charging hubs” in the UK by 2030. The company is investing heavily in charging infrastructure worldwide, including in the USA with the acquisition of TravelCenters of America and the establishment of a ‘Gigahub’ network.
HAMBURG OPENS LARGEST EV-SHARING HUB WITH 120 CHARGING POINTS
– Summary: Hamburg has opened Europe’s largest EV-sharing hub at its airport, featuring 120 parking spots with charging points. The city also now requires cars with electric license plates to only park in front of charging points. The HVV Switch system, which includes an app for users to view and book mobility services, has 200 charging points distributed across 16 locations and will add charging infrastructure to 20 more locations by the end of 2023. This is part of the city’s efforts to expand public transportation with shared and on-demand offerings.
ANALYSIS: FOXCONN RACES TO BECOME AN EV PLAYER AND THE CLOCK IS TICKING
– Summary: Foxconn, the Taiwanese contract manufacturer that is attempting to replicate its success with the iPhone in the EV market, must quickly find a large client to prove it can make the transition, and it is aggressively pursuing a 5% share of the global EV market by 2025. Foxconn is offering access to U.S. federal incentives and its Mobility in Harmony EV platform to entice customers. It has also acquired the former General Motors plant in Ohio to manufacture EVs and components, which could in theory make 320,000 vehicles a year it is so large, and has hired a former Nissan executive to lead its efforts. However, the company is facing competition from other automakers and suppliers, and must find a large customer to anchor its Ohio plant. Foxconn currently owns a stake in Lordstown Motors and plans to build a vehicle for EV startup Fisker. According to Goldman Sachs, the market for EV outsourcing is expected to reach $36 billion in 2025 and $144 billion in 2030, with 800,000 and 3.2 million EVs respectively.
– Original Source: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiYWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJldXRlcnMuY29tL3RlY2hub2xvZ3kvZm94Y29ubi1yYWNlcy1iZWNvbWUtYW4tZXYtcGxheWVyLWNsb2NrLWlzLXRpY2tpbmctMjAyMy0wMy0wNi_SAQA?oc=5
TAIWAN’S FOXCONN SEEKS COOPERATION WITH INDIA IN CHIPS, ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Summary: Foxconn, an Apple supplier and one of the world’s biggest contract makers of electronics, is looking to expand its operations in India by seeking partners to cooperate in areas such as chips and electric vehicles. During his visit to India, the chairman and CEO of Hon Hai Technology Group (Foxconn), Young Liu, discussed topics related to enhancing India’s tech and innovation ecosystem with the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. The company has already established factories in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, and announced a major investment in Karnataka that is expected to generate over one lakh jobs.
JB STRAUBEL’S REDWOOD MATERIALS SECURES $2 BILLION DOE LOAN
– Summary: JB Straubel’s Redwood Materials has been awarded a $2 billion loan from the Department of Energy’s Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program. The funding will be used to support the construction and expansion of Redwood’s new battery materials campus, which seeks to produce 100 GWh of ultra-thin battery-grade copper foil and cathode active materials from new and recycled feedstocks. The materials will be used to produce more than a million EVs per year from US-made components and will help meet the new stringent critical mineral and battery component requirements of the Inflation Reduction Act.
NIO OFFICIALLY OPENS FIRST EV BATTERY SWAP STATION IN DENMARK
– Summary: NIO, a Chinese EV automaker, has opened its first battery swap station in Denmark in order to provide new NIO drivers in several European countries with battery swap access. This station is centrally located and brings NIO’s total stations in Europe to twelve. NIO has also been expanding to markets outside of China, including Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, and Sweden, and has considered licensing its battery swap technology to other countries. The Denmark station is located near the E20 highway and is in the center of five European countries, providing access to nearly 390,000 chargers through third-party agreements.
– Original Source: https://electrek.co/2023/03/06/nio-first-ev-battery-swap-station-denmark/
XIAOMI ELECTRIC CAR TO START MASS PRODUCTION IN EARLY 2024
– Summary: Xiaomi, the Chinese technology giant, is set to begin mass production of its first electric cars in early 2024. According to company founder Lei Jun, the progress of the production has “exceeded expectations” and the car has successfully completed winter testing. The company has invested over 434 million USD in research and development, and has partnered with Super Soco to produce electric motorcycles.
XPENG OFFICIALLY UNVEILS P7I, FACELIFT OF P7, IN CHINA
– Summary: XPeng has officially unveiled the new P7i in China, a facelift of the company’s flagship sedan. The P7i is equipped with two Nvidia Orin X chips, LIDAR for self driving and has a maximum charging power of 175 kW but won’t move to an 800v system like XPengs flagship
SUV the G9. Deliveries of the P7i in China are expected to begin soon, while deliveries of the new P7 in Europe will begin in June (we get the G9 in September). The P7 is a crucial model for XPeng, contributing 49 percent of the company’s sales in 2022. XPeng is offering big discounts on older P7s to make way for the sedan’s facelift.
– Original Source: https://cnevpost.com/2023/03/06/xpeng-officially-unveils-p7i-in-china/
HYUNDAI TECH CAN AUTOMATICALLY LIFT OR LOWER EVS TO IMPROVE RANGE AND PROTECT THE BATTERIES
– Summary: Hyundai Mobis has developed a new Electric Leveling Control (ELC) technology that can automatically adjust the height of an EV by up to 6 cm depending on the driving environment, such as rough roads, highways, and parking lots. This technology is designed to protect the EV batteries, increase driving range, and make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The ELC uses sensors to determine the optimal ride height and adjusts using an electric hydraulic pump to control it from all four wheels.
GEORGIA THIEVES BUSTED BY COPS WHEN THEY STOPPED TO CHARGE GETAWAY TESLA
– Summary: Two suspects in Georgia were apprehended by police after they were caught charging their getaway vehicle, a Tesla. Officers responded to a dispatch call notifying them of a theft in the area and, after broadcasting the vehicle’s description, discovered the suspects a short ways away. Upon searching the vehicle, officers recovered the stolen gaming systems, multiple guns, and two pounds of suspected marijuana.
ELECTRIFYING OSLO: HOW THE NORWEGIAN CAPI TAL CITY CONTINUES TO REMAIN A PIONEER IN ELECTRIC VEHICLE ADOPTION AND USAGE
– Summary: Oslo has become the “EV capital of the world” with 32% of the city’s car fleet being electric. The city has implemented key policies to encourage electric vehicle adoption, such as free parking and passing through toll roads, as well as making the benefits of EVs more visible to drivers. Meanwhile, the city government is still working on the electrification of regional buses and the maritime sector. The city has also seen a high demand for shared mobility and micro-mobility and is aiming to reduce private car use by 20% by 2025. In the next five years, Oslo hopes to see a bundling of services with a focus on public transportation, public transportation on-demand, and a public bank of battery containers.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS