Trying a new thing this week so people know when to expect a show. We go live at 5pm UK, that’s Midday Eastern. Patreon supporters get the episodes as soon as they’re ready and ad free. You can be like them by clicking here.
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 26th February it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD EXTENDS F-150 LIGHTNING PRODUCTION PAUSE
– Summary: Ford has announced that they are extending the production pause of the F-150 Lightning for another week and will also be holding all shipments for the same period of time. Ford has identified an issue with battery cells provided by supplier SK and has suspended production of the F-150 Lightning until March 3, 2023. Ford has agreed with SK’s recommended changes and SK has started building battery cells again in Commerce, Georgia. Ford’s full statement is that it will take time for SK to ensure they are back to building high-quality cells and to deliver them to the Lightning production line. Ford has not issued a stop sale of F-150 Lightning units, but did issue a temporary halt on production and a stop-shipment of units until it can confirm its vehicles are unaffected by the cell issue.
NEW 2023 FORD ELECTRIC CROSSOVER TO BE REVEALED ON 21 MARCH
– Summary: Ford will be revealing their long-awaited, American-flavoured electric crossover on 21 March. Martin Sander, Ford’s European passenger car boss, posted on his personal Linkedin profile and confirmed the reveal date, suggesting the car may be called the Explorer. Autocar has reported that Ford plans to revive more historic names for their new cars, but no details have been given. In a brief video, Ford of Europe design chief Amko Leenarts revealed the two-tone alloy wheels, which hint at a rugged, urban character.
TESLA RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE (RHD) VEHICLES SPOTTED WAITING FOR SHIPMENT AT SHANGHAI PORT
– Summary: Tesla China is allocating resources to domestic market this quarter, and drone flyovers at Shanghai port have revealed that a large number of Tesla vehicles are waiting for shipment abroad, many of which are right-hand-drive (RHD) Model 3 units. These units may be the last batch of pre-upgrade RHD Model 3 that Giga Shanghai is exporting, and the upgrades are expected to bring revisions to the exterior, powertrain performance and infotainment system. The upgraded Model 3’s design will also be changed to make production easier and more cost-effective.
Tesla China is reportedly pausing production at its Gigafactory Shanghai facility until the end of February in order to implement upgrades. These upgrades are believed to be related to the upcoming “Project Highland” Model 3 updates, which include a revamped infotainment system, exterior updates, powertrain performance improvements, and a simplified manufacturing process. It is speculated that the upgrades may be a step towards the full “Project Highland” rollout, which is expected to occur in Q3 2023.
– Original Source: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-rhd-vehicles-shanghai-port-video/
MEASUREMENT CANADA APPROVES PER KWH BILLING
– Summary: Measurement Canada has approved per kWh billing at Level 3+ charging stations across Canada, allowing electric vehicle owners to be billed for the amount of electricity they use, rather than the amount of time they are plugged in. This update will be easy for Tesla to implement, as they can bill owners through their existing infrastructure and in-car display. The change is expected to take place shortly, and Tesla’s pricing structure will be updated accordingly.
AUDI’S REQUEST TO INVALIDATE NIO ES8 AND ES6 TRADEMARKS IN EUROPE REJECTED
– Summary: The European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) has ruled that NIO’s ES8 and ES6 trademarks do not create a likelihood of confusion with Audi’s S8 and S6 trademarks, and has rejected Audi’s request for invalidation. This follows a ruling from a German court in January which had supported Audi’s request. NIO has appealed the ruling and has not yet started selling the ES6 or ES8 in Germany. NIO changed the name of its ES7 model to EL7 in Europe in order to avoid affecting the interests of customers in Europe due to the lawsuit.
NEW MERCEDES GLB AND EQB SPOTTED: PRICE, SPECS AND RELEASE DATE
– Summary: The Mercedes GLB and EQB are getting a mid-life refresh, with tweaked styling and updated infotainment likely. The GLB is expected to have a revised front grille and LED lights, while the EQB has similar headlights to the current car but a different rear-end design. The interior is expected to be in line with the recently facelifted Mercedes A-Class, with dual 10.25-inch screens and improved voice commands. The reveal is expected towards the end of 2023, with pricing likely to be a bit more than the current cars.
THE 2025 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGLIO WILL BE A FULLY ELECTRIC 1,000BHP SUPER-SALOON
– Summary: The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, set to be released in 2025, will be a fully electric super-saloon with a maximum power output of 1,000bhp. It will use the Stellantis Group STLA Large platform and have a range of up to 500 miles. The design of the car will be distinct from other cars on the same platform, with the aim of providing ‘electroleggera’ handling and agility. A larger electric car is also planned for 2027, as well as an ultra-glam coupe, which is currently being designed with input from customers. The coupe will have a choice of both petrol and electric powertrains, making it Alfa Romeo’s final combustion car.
FLORIDA LAWMAKER SUGGESTS LIMITING ELECTRIC VEHICLES DURING HURRICANE EVACUATIONS
– Summary: Florida Senator Jonathan Martin raised a concern that electric vehicles could become roadblocks if they run out of power on highways crowded with fleeing residents during an evacuation. The Florida Department of Transportation is set to move forward this year with distributing federal money to add more charging stations near evacuation routes. The Department of Transportation’s preference is to find ways to help electric vehicle owners, such as deploying portable chargers, during evacuations. The number of electric vehicles registered in Florida has increased 87% from September 2021 to December 2022, but still only make up 1% of the vehicles in the state. By 2040, the share of electric vehicles is expected to increase to between 10-35%.
US DEVELOPERS FINISH SOLAR CARPORT AT RECREATIONAL VEHICLE RESORT IN CALIFORNIA
– Summary: US developers DSD Renewables and Black Bear Energy have completed a 1.5 MW solar project in Menifee, California at the Wilderness Lakes campground. The facility is expected to generate 2.4 million kWh of energy per year, meeting about 50% of the campground’s total energy use. California Senator Josh Becker has introduced SB 49, a bill to provide tax incentives for the construction of solar carports in the state, and estimates suggest that these carports could meet up to one-third of California’s total electricity demand. Incentives for solar carports already exist in some US states, and in late 2022, France passed a law making solar carports mandatory for parking lots greater than 1,500 square meters.
ONE OF THE US’S FIRST SOLAR PEAKER PLANTS JUST BROKE GROUND
– Summary: The Vikings Energy Farm, one of the first solar peaker plants in the US, has broken ground in Holtville, California. It will be powered by First Solar thin film Cadmium Telluride PV solar modules and a Tesla Megapack battery energy storage system, which can store over 3MWh of energy, enough to power 3,600 homes for an hour. The unique 1:1 configuration of 137 MW of solar and 150 MW/600 MWh of battery energy storage will allow it to shift daytime solar production to late afternoon and evening hours. Once online, the project will provide renewable energy to San Diego Community Power and help reduce the need for fossil fuel-fired peaker plants.
– Original Source: https://electrek.co/2023/02/24/us-solar-peaker-plant/
SONO SION SOLAR CAR PROJECT GOES DARK, THOUGH FIRM SEEKS TO SELL IT
– Summary: Sono Motors announced that it is terminating its Sion passenger car program and instead focusing on its solar solutions. The company is attempting to sell the program, which was scheduled to start production in 2023 with a claimed price of $25,000, including EU incentives. Sono has raised over $600,000 and has 23 customers for its solar technology. The company made 18 vehicles as part of a series-validation program and has 45,000 reservations, 12,000 pre-orders, and 9,800 partially paid preorders. However, they are facing financial difficulties and other solar-car projects have also encountered difficulties.
HYBRID CARS ARE STILL INCREDIBLY POPULAR, BUT ARE THEY GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
– Summary: Hybrid cars, such as the Prius, have remained a popular choice among car buyers for their fuel saving and carbon footprint reduction. However, environmentalists argue they are an obstruction in the fight against climate change and favor all-electric vehicles. Hybrids are flying off dealership lots, with many more options in virtually every segment, including SUVs and sporty cars. There is a debate between companies, advocates and government regulators as to whether hybrids are helping or hurting in the fight against climate change, with Toyota continuing to make the environmental case for them. Regulatory policies may soon focus on EVs and plug-in hybrids, leaving conventional hybrids behind.
FIRST BIG U.S. EV-BATTERY PLANT OFFERS LESSONS AS INDUSTRY SPRINGS UP
– Summary: Panasonic, the partner of Tesla, has warned newcomers of the electric vehicle battery industry that it takes time to become profitable. The U.S. government’s Inflation Reduction Act requires 50% of the electric vehicle battery to be made in the U.S. in order to receive a federal discount, which is proving to be a challenge. Panasonic started building the first large-scale EV-battery plant in the U.S. in 2015, and has been struggling to reach profitability since then.
THINKING ABOUT AN ELECTRIC CAR? LEASING MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A GOOD IDEA
What are the benefits of leasing an electric car versus purchasing one?
What incentives are available to those who lease an electric car?
What are the potential risks associated with leasing an electric vehicle?
Leasing an electric vehicle (EV) may be an attractive option for car buyers, as it allows them to experience the benefits of driving electric without committing to an expensive purchase. Leasing also eliminates the worry of potential depreciation of the vehicle, and there are tax credit opportunities for commercial leasing. Automakers may be incentivized to offer lower cost EV leases to attract customers, and when the lease is up, the car can still be sold for a reasonable profit.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS