Trying a new thing this week so people know when to expect a show. We go live at 5pm UK, that’s Midday Eastern. Patreon supporters get the episodes as soon as they’re ready. You can be like them by clicking here.
Welcome to a new Patreon supporter Bob Riedlinger.
Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 24th February it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN’S NEXT-GEN ID.3 EV SHOWS ITS FACE IN NEW TEASER VIDEO
– Summary: Volkswagen is teasing their second generation ID.3 electric vehicle model, which will have an updated design, a deceptively spacious interior, decent range options, and a low center of gravity. The ID.3 quickly became one of the top-selling EVs in Europe and entered the Chinese EV market in 2021. The automaker plans to release a new, second-generation ID.3 on March 1, 2023 with a sharpened exterior design, improved tech and software, and more sustainable materials. Powertrain details are still unknown, but the ID.3 Life will start at €43,995 (about $46,000). German customers who pre-configured models will receive their EVs in the fourth quarter of 2023.
TESLA INSTALLS AND TESTS FIRST MAGIC DOCK ON SUPERCHARGER IN NEW YORK
– Summary: Tesla has installed and is currently testing the first Magic Dock at a Supercharger in Verona, New York, as part of their plan to open their Supercharger network to other electric vehicles (EVs). The Magic Dock includes a CCS adapter that can be unlocked for non-Tesla EVs, but can still be used for Tesla owners as the NACS connector is still available. The signs at the station provide instructions for non-Tesla EVs to download the Tesla app and create an account to charge their vehicle. The Magic Dock is still not available for use yet.
Tesla engineers were also on-site testing the Magic Dock with a Rivian R1T, although they declined to confirm or deny what they were doing when asked by the Redditor. However the signs that have been installed alongside each Supercharger don’t exactly hide what the new device does – “Scan for instructions to charge a non-Tesla.”
BMW I4 EDRIVE35 NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS IN THE UK
– Summary: The BMW i4 eDrive35 is now available for ordering in the UK with prices starting at £49,995. It has a single rear-mounted electric motor that produces 282 horsepower and accelerates from 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds. The battery pack has 66 kWh of usable capacity and a WLTP-rated range of 299 miles. Standard features include LED headlights, 18 inch wheels, a black Senstatec/cloth interior, and heated front seats. The M Sport package adds aerodynamic visuals, BMW’s Shadowline black exterior trim, aerodynamic wheels, an M Sport steering wheel, and an Alcantara/Sensatec interior with blue contrasting accents. The i4 eDrive35 is suitable for city-dwellers as it has enough power and a lower cost of entry than other models, making it a great value electric sports sedan.
– Original Source: https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/02/23/bmw-i4-edrive35-uk/
LORDSTOWN HALTS PRODUCTION, SHIPMENTS OF ENDURANCE ELECTRIC TRUCKS TO ADDRESS QUALITY ISSUES
– Summary: Lordstown Motors announced Thursday that it is suspending production and deliveries of its Endurance electric pickup truck in order to address quality and performance issues with certain components. The company will also voluntarily recall 19 vehicles due to a potential issue with electrical connections that could cause a loss of propulsion while driving. Shares of Lordstown have dropped significantly from their all-time high, and the company is providing a more detailed update on their earnings call on March 6. The recall and production problems add to a long list of issues the company has faced since going public.
ELECTRIC CAR FEATURING SODIUM ION BATTERY UNVEILED
– Summary: Chinese scientists have unveiled an electric vehicle powered by a sodium ion battery, called the Hua Xianzi (flower fairy), which has a total energy capacity of 25 kilowatt hours and can drive up to 250 kilometers per charge. Sodium ion batteries offer cost, safety and sustainability advantages compared to lithium-ion batteries, and could provide a viable alternative due to the scarcity and cost of lithium. Li Shujun, general manager of HiNa Battery, said the company will facilitate the application of the sodium ion battery in electric vehicles and electricity storage infrastructures.
“The more permissive Chinese driving test cycle says the small four-door should be able to do 155 mi (250 km) on a full charge in city traffic. The best thing about it, however, is that it’s allegedly losing only 10% of its capacity at -4 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees Celsius) and doesn’t need any kind of preconditioning to function normally.
“The battery installed in the car has an energy density of 120 Wh/kg. To put this figure better into perspective, the first [lithium iron phosphate](https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-s-new-lfp-battery-truly-shines-in-sub-zero-temperatures-looks-like-a-winner-178846.html) (LFP) Tesla used in the Model 3 back in 2020 had an energy density of 125 Wh/kg. After three years, it increased to almost 300 Wh/kg which indicates progress is possible.”
– Original Source: https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202302/23/WS63f76b55a31057c47ebb0873.html
MKBHD CALL OUT STATE OF CHARGING
– Summary: Marques Brownlee, a YouTube star with 16 million subscribers, recently made a video highlighting one of the biggest drawbacks of EV’s: the lack of an easy-to-use charging infrastructure. Brownlee found that even at a mall charging station, the process of charging was confusing and difficult. .
Brownlee pointed out that the charging infrastructure is “just as important to the electric car experience as the car itself.”
“Imagine explaining to your parents, your grandparents, or anyone who’s not super adept with technology especially, that instead of going to a gas station, they need to make sure they find a working charger with the right adapter and all this — it might take longer, it might be a slower charger, it might be broken.”
“There’s been versions of this before, where people are actually, genuinely mad, like ‘I don’t think the electric car thing is for me,’” Brownlee remarked, adding that there are countless examples that keep bringing this to light.
SURGE IN ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS IN SPAIN AS COUNTRY MEETS EU’S TOP FIVE LIST
– Summary: Spain has recently made the EU’s top five list for the most public electric car chargers, with 34,380 charging points installed across the country. This is a positive step for Spain’s green energy transition, although the country still has a long way to go to reach its goal of 100,000 chargers by 2023. The data also highlights an access gap between countries like Germany and the Netherlands, which account for 42% of the EU’s total chargers.
RIVIAN LAUNCHES NEW PRODUCTION LINE TO AID MANUFACTURING RAMP
– Summary: Rivian has launched a new production line dedicated to producing “Enduro” motors for the Dual-Motor AWD R1 vehicles, in order to address concerns about their ability to ramp up production. The new drive unit produces 600 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque, allowing the R1T to accelerate to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and tow up to 11,000 pounds. An optional “Enhanced Dual-Motor AWD” is available for additional power, though it does not match the performance of the quad-motor variant. The Rivian R1T and R1S with the new dual-motor system are expected to begin deliveries this year.
Ramping production of our new Enduro drive unit for our Dual-Motor R1 vehicles! [pic.twitter.com/Ez1Y0QRkZY](https://t.co/Ez1Y0QRkZY)
— RJ Scaringe (@RJScaringe)
“For everyday driving and adventures, dual-motor is highly capable,” says Rivian’s Director of Vehicle Testing. “If you want to go way off-road with ease – or simply want maximum performance and control – then Quad is for you.”
– Original Source: https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-launches-new-enduro-production-line/
GEELY UNVEILS NEW ELECTRIC CAR BRAND TO TAKE ON TESLA, BYD
– Summary: Geely Holding Group Co. has unveiled a new line of high-end electric cars called the Galaxy, which will include seven models over the next two years. It also has an existing line of electric vehicles called Zeekr, which sold more than 70,000 units in 2022. Geely is planning a U.S. IPO for Zeekr later this year and is also working on improved hybrid engines and autonomous driving technology. Geely is the fourth-largest carmaker in China by market share, behind BYD, SAIC Motor Corp. and Tesla. Its overall car shipments have been below forecasts, with 1.43 million last year.
FORD TAKING NEARLY 2,000-HP ELECTRIC SUPERVAN 4 AT 2023 PIKES PEAK
– Summary: Ford has announced that the all-electric SuperVan 4 will take part in the 101st Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC) in 2023, driven by Romain Dumas, a three-time Le Mans winner and PPIHC record holder in 2018. The SuperVan 4 is powered by an ultra high-performance 50kWh battery and features a lightweight carbon composite body, FIA specification roll cage, and adjustable regenerative braking. Ford Performance and EV and R&D specialists STARD have entered into a five-year partnership and the SuperVan flaunted its nearly 2,000 horsepower at Goodwood. The PPIHC is set to take place on June 25, 2023 and Ford Performance will reveal more details as the motorsport event approaches.
– Original Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/654154/ford-supervan-2023-pikes-peak/
SWARCO & CONNECTED ROLL OUT CHARGING IN THE UK
– Summary: Swarco Smart Charging and Connected Energy have partnered to accelerate the roll out of EV charging in the UK. Swarco Smart Charging will provide EV charging hardware with Connected Energy’s E-Stor system, which utilizes 24 second-life EV batteries from Renault Kangoos to provide onsite energy storage. The E-Stor system is able to store excess energy from renewable sources and provide energy for EV charging, even during demand spikes. The two companies have been collaborating since 2017, with the E-Stor system being able to deliver energy up to 300kW and able to charge 20 cars for two hours at a rate of 7kW.
– Original Source: https://www.electrive.com/2023/02/23/swarco-connected-roll-out-charging-in-the-uk/
DODGE UPDATES DAYTONA EV ‘EXHAUST.’ HERE’S HOW IT SOUNDS
– Summary: Dodge revealed a simulated exhaust sound system for their upcoming all-electric muscle cars at the Chicago auto show. Called the Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust, the system produces a 126-decibel “exhaust” noise. The latest iteration of the sound is more realistic to a V8 engine and will not be properly judged until heard in person. CEO Tim Kuniskis stated they had changed the sound of the car 1000 times and they would continue to do so over the next two years until the cars go on sale in 2024.
MARELLI POWERS THE NEW MASERATI GRANTURISMO FOLGORE
– Summary: Marelli has been selected to contribute key technologies to the new Maserati GranTurismo Folgore, the first full-electric car from Maserati. The vehicle features a total installed power of 1200 HP, thanks to one of Marelli’s most compact e-motor solutions. The e-motors were developed and produced in-house by Marelli at their Modugno plant in Italy, in a record time to market. Additional contributions from Marelli include full LED headlamps, an Adaptive Driving Beam Matrix system, and a Telematic Control Unit. The e-Powertrain system of the Maserati GranTurismo Folgore is based on 800V Marelli’s electric motors, with high power density and torque of 1350 Nm. Marelli has also recently won a global contract to supply Battery Management Systems for electric vehicles to a major carmaker.
MEET THE MADMAN BUILDING A 900-HP DUAL TESLA MOTOR EV-CONVERTED ESCAPE
– Summary: Robert Dunn, also known as ‘Aging Wheels’ on YouTube, is undertaking the ambitious task of converting a Ford Escape into an electric vehicle powered by two Tesla large drive units, producing a combined 900 horsepower. The project involves multiple iterations of mounting components, including angle iron, sheet steel, a plasma cutter and a MIG welder, as well as using battery packs from Chrysler Pacifica PHEVs and hardware from AEM’s electric vehicle division. Despite the complexity of the project, Dunn hopes it will help others in their own conversion processes.
NEW STUDY REVEALS CATASTROPHIC HEALTH IMPACTS OF PETROL AND DIESEL CARS
– Summary: This new study from Melbourne University reveals that there could be more than 11,000 premature deaths in adults each year in Australia as a result of traffic pollution from petrol and diesel cars. In addition, it could be causing 12,000 cardiovascular hospitalisations, 66,000 active asthma cases, and almost 7,000 respiratory hospitalisations per year. Various international studies have found the same shocking public health impacts and have highlighted the importance of transitioning away from petrol and diesel cars. Solutions to this problem include implementing fuel efficiency standards, increasing electric vehicle uptake, and promoting walking, cycling, and public transport. All levels of government must work together to tackle this issue in order to ensure that cities can have clean air.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS