HYUNDAI’S PLANT IN MONTGOMERY ROLLS OUT 1ST ELECTRIC VEHICLE
– The Hyundai plant in Montgomery rolled out its first electric vehicle at a ceremony today.
– The Genesis Electrified GV70 SUV was introduced this morning at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama. The Electrified GV70 is the first Genesis model assembled outside of South Korea.
– Today’s celebration comes 10 months after Hyundai announced that it would build the Electrified GV70 SUV and a hybrid version of the Santa Fe at the Montgomery plant.
GENESIS ELECTRIFIED GV70 FIRST HYUNDAI MOTOR GROUP EV TO EARN TAX CREDIT
– The electric version of Genesis’ 2023 GV70 crossover will be the first Hyundai Motor Group vehicle to qualify for the $7,500 federal EV credit under the Inflation Reduction Act
– the Korean automaker because it was stung by the U.S. government’s changes to the EV tax rules last year
– The Electrified GV70 will be offered in two trims — the Advanced and the Prestige — and will cost $66,975 and $73,775
– crossovers must come in below $80,000 to qualify for the federal credit.
– Also to be determined are the details of the Genesis’ battery sourcing and the supply of the critical minerals needed to produce the battery. Clarification is expected next month from Washington
2023 HYUNDAI IONIQ 6 STARTS AT $42,715
– The Ioniq 6 will be available in three trims (the SE, SEL, and Limited), each with a choice of rear- or all-wheel drive, a 53 kWh or 77.4 kWh battery pack, and rear or dual motors.
– Drivers will also be treated to a battery heater for those colder climates, as well as Hyundai’s 800 volt/350 kWh charging, which the automaker says can charge 10 to 80 percent of the battery in just 18 minutes.
– The base Ioniq 6, the SE, puts out 149 horsepower to rear-motor rear-wheel drive, for 240 miles of range on standard 18-inch wheels.
– $46,615 range is extended to 361 miles. Those who want all-wheel drive will have to drop $50,115 to get it on the Ioniq 6 SE AWD Long Range.
– Ioniq 6’s SEL starts at$48,815
– The all-wheel drive model starts at $57,215, for 320 hp and dual motors with 270 miles of range
RADAR RD6 ELECTRIC PICKUP TRUCK DELIVERIES BEGIN IN CHINA
– Geely Auto Group’s Radar brand held an event in Shenzhen, China, to officially mark the beginning of deliveries of its RD6 flagship pickup truck, which is fully electric.
– The Radar brand first came to be in 2022, so it may be quite surprising to some that production started recently and deliveries are already underway.
– The Radar RD6 features three different battery pack options: 63 kWh, 86 kWh, and 100 kWh.
– All current models have rear-wheel drive and a 200 kW electric motor
– comes standard with vehicle-to-load (V2L) functionality and provides external power via onboard 220-volt outlets.
TESLA SCALES BACK GERMAN BATTERY PLANS, WON OVER BY U.S. INCENTIVES
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has begun assembling batteries in Germany but will focus cell production in the U.S. in light of Inflation Reduction Act tax incentives, a spokesperson said, one of the first firms to declare a strategy shift prompted by the package.
– The U.S. electric-vehicle maker is also preparing to produce cell components such as electrodes, some of which will be sent from its site in Gruenheide in the state of Brandenburg, to the United States, the Tesla spokesperson said on Wednesday.
– Cars produced at the Brandenburg site would in the “near future” contain batteries assembled locally, the spokesperson added.
– Tesla withdrew its application for over 1 billion euros in German state aid for the battery plant in November 2021, and the company’s Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted at that time that “all subsidies should be eliminated”.
– the carmaker still has an open application for regional funding from the Brandenburg government.
– A spokesperson for the German economy ministry said on Wednesday they were “working on clearing up the reasons” behind Tesla’s decision. Brandenburg’s economy ministry said that to its knowledge, the change of course would not impact the number of jobs available at the German site.
TESLA UNDERCUTS AVERAGE U.S. CAR BY ALMOST $5,000 IN EV SHAKEOUT
– By Tom Randall Bloomberg News
– Tesla’s Model 3 sedan now sells for $4,930 less than the average new vehicle sold in the U.S. That’s the cheapest price Tesla has ever had relative to the typical U.S. vehicle, according to a new Bloomberg analysis.
– It’s a similar story for Tesla’s more expensive Model Y sport utility vehicle, which started off the year with a staggering $13,000 price drop. Even before those cuts, it was the third best-selling SUV in the U.S. last year
– At the same time, prices of gasoline-fueled cars have moved in the opposite direction. The average cost of a new vehicle has risen more than $10,000 since the start of the pandemic, to $47,920 in January.
– Tesla’s cheapest vehicle starts at $42,990. That doesn’t include a $7,500 U.S. tax credit for electric vehicles that went into effect in January, which for those who qualify would bring the price down to $35,500 — almost $12,500 less than the average price paid for a new vehicle in the U.S.
– The upfront sticker price, without credits or fuel savings, now sits $800 below the cheapest BMW 3 Series, one of its closest competitors. For an even starker comparison, check out the cost of a three-year lease. The Model 3 now has almost exactly the same monthly payment as an entry-level Toyota Camry LE, when structured with similar lease terms.
– Bloomberg has reported that Tesla is retooling its Model 3 production lines in preparation for a facelift to the five-year-old model.
TESLA MODEL 3 BECOMES A ~$31K CAR WITH CA’S CVRP REBATE
– The Tesla Model 3 is the electric vehicle maker’s most affordable vehicle today, but in California, the all-electric sedan is even more attainable. This is thanks in part to the state’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), which provides an additional rebate for qualified customers.
– Tesla listing the Model 3’s price as $26,790 with potential savings.
– The base Tesla Model 3 has a purchase price of $42,990 before options, but with the $7,500 federal tax credit and the CVRP, the vehicle’s price would practically be $30,990. Tesla also listed an “Estimated 6-year gas savings”
FORD, LG ENERGY SOLUTION ESTABLISH A BATTERY JOINT
– Ford Motor Company, LG Energy Solution and Koç Holding today signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding (MoU) to form a new joint venture subject to final agreement by all the parties to create one of Europe’s largest commercial electric vehicle battery cell facilities near Ankara, Turkey
– The project is on track and expected to break ground later this year. Production is intended to start in 2026 with the three parties committing to at least 25 GWh of annual production capacity, which could potentially expand up to 45 GWh.
– ord and LGES have worked together for more than a decade, with LGES most recently supplying batteries from its plant in Poland for the Ford Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit. Ford Motor Company and Koç Holding enjoy a strong relationship that stretches back almost a century and includes the successful Ford Otosan joint venture, established more than 60 years ago.
– LGES has the largest global battery manufacturing network consisting of its manufacturing facilities in six countries (Korea, U.S., China, Poland, Indonesia, and Canada), with a total annual production capacity of 200GWh.
FORD MUSTANG MACH-E WILL GET LFP BATTERIES THIS YEAR IN EUROPE
– Ford has announced it will start using lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries in its EVs as early as this year.
– The first model to get LFP batteries is the Mustang Mach-E, albeit only in Europe for the time being.
– reports claim it’s CATL.
– The new LFP battery chemistry won’t replace the nickel cobalt manganese (NCM) chemistry as both will be offered in parallel. Ford says this will allow customers to choose an EV “with unique battery performance characteristics most aligned with their needs.”
– LFP batteries will also help it maintain or further reduce EV prices
– LFP battery tech also helps reduce reliance on critical minerals such as nickel and cobalt.
STELLANTIS POSTED A RECORD YEAR DRIVEN BY A 41% RISE IN ELECTRIC VEHICLES SALES
– Stellantis posted record results for 2022.
– a boost in electric vehicles sales in the US and Europe that contributed to the stellar results.
– planning for 100% of passenger car sales in Europe and 50% of passenger car and light-duty truck sales in the US to be electric vehicles by the end of the decade. Starting 2026, all new products hitting the European market will be EVs.
– 41%: Increase in global battery electric vehicle (BEV) sales year-over-year, to 288,000 vehicles in 2022. By the end of the decade, Stellantis is aiming to post global BEV sales of 5 million
– 23: Stellantis’s current BEV portfolio. The company aims to more than double this number to 47 by the end of 2024, and 75 by 2030
– 5: Confirmed locations for gigafactories (three in Europe and two in North America), with Automotive Cells Company, Samsung SDI, and LG Energy Solution. They will contribute to the 400 gigawatt hours of capacity the company estimates it’ll need by 2030
– In 2022, the Fiat New 500 topped the EV sales charts in Italy. It was the third-most sold EV in the 10 major European markets and it was Stellantis’s best-selling BEV in Europe.
– the New 500 became the best-selling full-electric car in Western Europe, dethroning a Tesla model for the first time since the last quarter of 2020
NIO TO LAUNCH CONSTRUCTION OF TWO NEW EV FACTORIES
– Nio plans to start building two production facilities for each of its two planned subsidiaries for more affordable electric cars in March 2023. What’s also new is that one of the brands appears to be primarily for export to Europe.
– This brand will cover the electric car segment with a price range of 100,000 to 200,000 yuan (equivalent to about 13,600 to 27,200 euros at present).
TOYOTA TO START EV PRODUCTION IN U.S. IN 2025
– Toyota Motor will start producing electric vehicles in the U.S. state of Kentucky as early as 2025, Nikkei learned Tuesday, as it tries to capture growing demand for clean-energy cars.
– The Japanese automaker will update an existing factory to make electric models alongside gasoline-fueled autos. It intends to produce 10,000 electric sport utility vehicles monthly by the end of 2025.
– Together with a battery plant slated to open in North Carolina by around 2025, the Kentucky factory will let Toyota make electrics entirely in the U.S., from key components to final assembly.
– Despite being the world’s largest automaker, Toyota produced just 24,000 EVs worldwide under its own and the Lexus brands in 2022, compared with the 1.31 million units sold by Tesla.
SUBWAY ENVISIONS AN OASIS WHERE DINERS CAN PICNIC AND PLAY WHILE CHARGING THEIR CARS
– ‘Subway Oasis’ parks will have charging stations, picnic tables, Wi-Fi, and playgrounds.
– Subway is opening smaller fast-charging EV stations at new or newly remodeled restaurants across the US this year. Once open, EV customers might also get the added perk of receiving Subway discounts while waiting for their cars to charge
MCLAREN PATENTS TRIPLE-MOTOR EV SUPERCAR POWERTRAIN
– Recent McLaren patent filings hint at a triple-motor powertrain for future supercars.
– a rear-axle drive unit consisting of a differential with three electric motors. A primary motor is positioned at the differential’s input, and two more are at the outputs, where the axle shafts exit and connect the diff to the rear wheels. The housing for this mass of motors and gears would be made of aluminum or magnesium to save weight according to the application.
– McLaren claims the three-motor system would allow for finer control of power delivery and regenerative braking by manipulating individual motors. It could also work with hydrogen fuel cells or supercapacitors as well as batteries, according to the application. The same drive unit could be used on the front axle for all-wheel drive, or even in three-wheeled vehicles, McLaren claims.
THE WORLD’S LARGEST BATTERY RECYCLER IS OPENING ITS FIRST US LI-ION RECYCLING FACTORY
– Battery recycling giant Ecobat is building its first lithium-ion battery recycling facility in North America – its third li-ion battery recycling facility globally.
– It has 12 secondary smelting facilities, a primary smelting facility, three lithium-focused facilities, a collection truck fleet, and 65,000 battery collection points.
– The new facility in Casa Grande, Arizona, will initially produce around 10,000 tons of recycled material annually
OWNING AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE IN EUROPE COULD BE CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK, NEW RESEARCH SHOWS
– new research suggests the cost of owning and running an EV in Europe has never been more affordable. They’re now the same price or cheaper in terms of the total cost of ownership (TCO) than petrol or diesel cars, despite the rising prices for fuel and electricity, the data shows.
– Leaseplan, a Dutch automotive lease provider, focused on different categories of cars in 22 European countries, with costs averaged over the first four years of a lease. The researchers say ownership costs such as energy/fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance and depreciation were considered.
– The report says that: “Despite energy price inflation, fuel costs remain significantly lower for electric cars than petrol and diesel cars: fuel costs represent 15% of the total cost of ownership of an EV, while this is 23% and 28% for petrol and diesel drivers.” It added, “EVs in nearly every segment and in nearly every European country are now the same price or cheaper than petrol or diesel cars.”
NUVVE TO PLAY 40MW OF EV CHARGERS AND BATTERY STORAGE INTO NORDIC FREQUENCY MARKETS
– Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) firm Nuvve will use its platform to manage 40MW of EV chargers and battery storage capacity in frequency regulation markets in Norway and Denmark.
– The company has partnered with international service station operator Circle K
– Nuvve will combine EV chargers at 50 Circle K locations and 3-5 stationary battery energy storage system sites. It will use the assets to provide grid services
– Nuvve will control Circle K’s Alpitronic Hyperchargers and the 3-5 storage systems to its GIVe platform and respond to market signals in real-time and make instantaneous micro adjustments to the chargers’ electricity flow, which is how chargers can participate in frequency response services.
OSHKOSH CORPORATION ANNOUNCES FIRST FULLY INTEGRATED, ELECTRIC REFUSE COLLECTION VEHICLE
– Oshkosh Corporation is thinking green with its newest vehicle. The company announced it has engineered and produced North America’s first fully integrated, electric refuse collection vehicle.
– The electrified refuse collector features a drivetrain that includes advanced lithium-ion batteries and a revolutionary electric-axle system. The vehicle will enable a full day’s refuse collection on a single charge with zero emissions. It was designed to minimize environmental impact and reduce noise in communities around the world, while helping customers meet their sustainability initiatives.
HOW CT E-PRIX ORGANISERS PLAN TO COPE IN ENERGY CRISIS
– The City of Cape Town has given event organisers the assurance that there is sufficient electricity for this weekend’s Formula E race.
– e-Movement, the race promotor, has acquired 28 generators as a backup plan, in the event of loadshedding.
– The energy demands for this all-electric racing series are incredibly high, and obvious questions have been raised over how a country experiencing an energy and electricity crisis could possibly be in a position to pull it off.
– According to Banner, the City of Cape Town has made provisions for Stage 6 loadshedding, but there the possibility remains that it could drop to Stage 5, or perhaps even Stage 4, this weekend.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS