Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 19th January it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
ALL-NEW KONA EV ARRIVES
– Hyundai Motor Company today revealed details about its new generation KONA subcompact SUV for Korea, with information about the global model coming in March. The upscaled model is available in multiple powertrain variants, including all-electric (EV), hybrid electric (HEV) and internal combustion engine (ICE) with sporty N Line versions of each.
– started with the EV model — an unconventional approach for car design that reflects Hyundai Motor’s accelerated electrification strategy.
– the front and rear Seamless Horizon Lamps give the new model a harmonious and unique appearance
– The EV variant is further differentiated by its Pixelated Seamless Horizon Lamps
– 60 mm longer wheelbase length, 77 mm longer leg room and 11 mm higher headroom in the second-row seats, compared to the previous generation. The second-row shoulder room is 1,402 mm, also the largest in its class, providing the best habitability in ‘living space’ for passengers. KONA’s slim and rigid seats, which are only 85 mm thick, also add more living space for the second-row passengers.
– The 12.3-inch integrated dual screen display
– KONA’s maintenance and system updates are easier than ever with electronic control technology through Over-the-Air (OTA) software updates.
– The customizable smart power tailgate opening is an added convenience for customers. Drivers can select the opening height and speed of the tailgate on the infotainment system screen
– KONA can be locked, unlocked and started through the Digital Key 2 Touch, using near-field communication (NFC) on smart phones or smart watches, which assures a high level of security.
Original Source : https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/news/CONT0000000000073391
NEW 2023 HYUNDAI KONA GETS EV OPTION AND SPORTY N LINE TRIM
– it is likely to use a 64.8kWh battery, allowing for 285 miles of range and a 43-minute charge time from 10-80%
– With the gear shifter also migrated upward to the steering column, the firm has managed to create additional front storage space around the centre console. Foldable second-row seats give way to 723 litres of boot space.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2023-hyundai-kona-gets-ev-option-and-sporty-n-line-trim
SHELL IS BUYING EV CHARGING COMPANY VOLTA FOR $169 MILLION
– Oil and gas company Shell is buying electric vehicle charging operator Volta for $169 million through a subsidiary.
– “While the EV infrastructure market opportunity is potentially enormous, Volta’s ability to capture it independently, in challenging market conditions and with ongoing capital constraints, was limited,” Volta interim CEO Vince Cubbage said in a statement. “Both Volta and Shell have a demonstrated ability to meet the changing needs of customers, and this acquisition will bring that experience together to provide the options that are needed as more drivers choose electric.”
– The company has more than 3,000 charging stations across the U.S. and a handful in Europe, typically at grocery stores and malls. For a few years, its DC fast charging stations were free to use for up to 30 minutes, with advertising and sponsorships helping to cover the costs. However, it shifted its DC fast chargers to a paid model last year. Volta’s more than 2,000 L2 chargers are still free to use. After the deal closes, “there will be no immediate change in driver experience,” the companies said.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/18/shell-ev-charging-volta-acquisition
XPENG SPARKS PRICE WAR IN CHINA
– Xpeng has slashed the prices of some of its models in a bid to lure mainland motorists amid an increasingly cutthroat battle with the likes of Tesla in the premium EV market.
– The move by the Guangzhou-based carmaker to lower prices by as much as 13 per cent
– It reduced the prices of its P5 and P7 saloons as well as its G3i sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), by 10 to 13 per cent, saying the lower prices were made possible by its efforts to slash production costs.
– The move, coming hot on the heels of Tesla’s and Huawei’s price cuts earlier this month, have heightened expectations of a price war
– The price tag has become more important as consumers are reluctant to spend money on big-ticket items like cars amid a slowing economy.
– “A cutthroat market is forcing some players to offer price cuts to attract customers because more Chinese drivers are shunning expensive electric cars and turning to value-for-money products manufactured by domestic companies like BYD,” said Chen Xiao, CEO of Shanghai Yacheng Culture, a marketing and branding company.
Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3207131/tesla-challenger-xpeng-sparks-all-out-price-war-chinas-cut-throat-premium-electric-car-sector-steep
VOLKSWAGEN ID BUZZ BECOMES A CAMPER IN GERMANY
– Volkswagen has announced that it will surely offer a factory camper option for the newly released ID Buzz, although not for another few years. Until it does, other small specialized companies will offer their version, like Bavaria-based Alpin Camper, which just revealed its Buzz camper at a major tourism and leisure consumer show in Germany.
– It’s surely the first of many such camper conversions for the ID Buzz, but it really looks the part, especially inside as it features a completely custom rear compartment. There’s also a pop-up roof tent that allows people to actually stand up inside the bus.
– The small sitting area inside is also a bed and opposite there’s a kitchenette equipped with everything you’d expect to find in a modern camper
– peeking through the window into the front compartment, it looks like the vehicle has the Cargo model’s dark grey seats and dashboard.
– When Volkswagen gets around to turning the Buzz into a camper, though, it is believed it will use the long-wheelbase version
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/631991/volkswagen-id-buzz-alpin-camper-germany/
NIO TO LAUNCH ET5 SHOOTING BRAKE VARIANT IN EUROPE IN JUNE OR JULY, SAYS PRESIDENT
– NIO (NYSE: NIO) will launch the shooting brake variant of its electric sedan, the ET5, in the middle of this year to tap into a sizeable market in Europe.
– The shooting brake variant of the ET5 will debut in Europe, where the model has been developed for European consumers
– The ET5 is the cheapest in the NIO product array, with a starting price of RMB 328,000 ($48,500). The model sold 7,594 units in China in December, placing it 7th in the ranking of high-end sedans with a starting price above RMB 300,000, according to a list published by the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) on January 11.
– the shooting brake is a niche market in China. However, the unexpected success of the Zeekr 001, the first model of Geely’s Zeekr brand, has made such models increasingly popular.
In the full year 2022, Zeekr delivered 71,941 Zeekr 001s
– CEO William Li said in a conference call after the company announced its third-quarter earnings on November 10 that NIO would launch five models by the first half of 2023 and would have a total of eight available models by June.
All three of NIO’s models based on the NT 1.0 platform are expected to transition to the NT 2.0 platform for a better intelligent cockpit and greater assisted driving capabilities.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2023/01/18/nio-to-launch-et5-shooting-brake-in-europe-june-or-july/
CIRCLE K CHOOSES DRIIVZ TO POWER EV CHARGING GROWTH IN
– Driivz, the leading end-to-end smart EV charging and energy management software platform, today announced that global convenience store and energy station chain Circle K has migrated its network of more than 600 public EV charging stations in Europe and North America onto the Driivz platform. The Driivz solution includes integrated software modules for EV charging operations optimization, asset management, user and driver management, EV billing and analytics. The solution also includes Driivz smart energy management solution for monitoring, managing and optimizing energy consumption across multi-charger sites, campuses, fleet depots and home charging.
– Support for cross-border payments, multiple currencies and tariffs, complex reconciliations and international roaming were essential requirements for Circle K’s business in both Europe and North America. Among the key deciding factors were Driivz’s maturity on core charging services, the flexibility of their platform, the competence of their people and their vision of the future.
– . Innovative technologies such as self-healing algorithms to address up to 80% of charger issues automatically and sophisticated energy management also figured strongly in the selection of the Driivz platform.
Original Source : https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2023/01/18/2590715/0/en/Circle-K-Chooses-Driivz-to-Power-EV-Charging-Growth-in-Europe-and-North-America.html
CANDELA C-8 USES POLESTAR BATTERIES LONGEST RANGE ELECTRIC BOAT
– Swedish boatmaker Candela partnered with Polestar to make an electric boat that the company claims will have the longest range in the world. The Candela C-8 will have a range of up to 57 nautical miles, or 65 miles, at a cruising speed of 22 knots, or 25 miles per hour. Candela says the C-8’s performance puts it on par with powerboats using internal combustion engines, and it’s all thanks to a combination of hydrofoils, efficient motors and batteries sourced from Polestar.
– it’ll have the same 69 kWh capacity and DC charging technology as that of the EV.
– And that’s where the C-8’s lightweight carbon fiber hull and hydrofoils help greatly, allowing the electric boat to use 80 percent less energy than conventional boats despite toting a heavy battery. The aft hydrofoil wing is attached to a “C-POD,” which is what Candela calls its electric direct-drive motors.
– The C-Pod in the C8 outputs 75 kW (100 hp) when taking off, but once the C8 is hovering over the face of the water, output drops to 23 kW (30 hp) to conserve energy. The pod motor then sips electricity from the Polestar battery at cruising speed to achieve its relatively long range of 57 nautical miles per charge.
– The company cites fleet data from Europe that claims 95 percent of day trips are less than 50 nautical miles.
– More DC chargers are popping up along coastlines in Europe and North America, with Candela adding that “…You can go from Sweden to Finland in one day, or along the entire French Riviera in a few hours.”
– the C-8 Daycruiser will start at $395,000, while the C-8 T-Top starts at $409,500, and C-8 Hard Top starts at $412,700. Deliveries are expected to begin in the early summer of 2024.
Original Source : https://jalopnik.com/the-candela-c-8-borrows-the-polestar-2s-batteries-to-ac-1850001531
NEW BATTERY PASSPORT LETS FLEETS COMPARE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF EV BATTERIES
– Fleet procurement teams that include ESG criteria in their vehicle tenders will soon be able to access an independent Battery Passport that scores the environmental and ethical impact of electric vehicle batteries. The Global Battery Alliance (GBA) unveiled the Battery Passport today (18 January) at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting in Davos.
– The alliance intends the passport to provide vehicle buyers with a whole life assessment of EV batteries, including the ability to identify the best and worst in class.
– Audi and Tesla each published a proof of concept Battery Passport for one of their own EV batteries. The draft passports reveal the materials used, where they were sourced, the greenhouse gases emitted during their production and manufacture, and cover child labour and human rights implications, too.
– The GBA is a not-for-profit organisation that brings together over 130 manufacturers, mining organisations, NGOs, environmental groups, academics and governments that have united to drive change across the battery value chain. The alliance says batteries hold the key to unlocking the energy transition to net zero transport, but acknowledges that batteries are also material- and resource-intensive, with inevitable social and environmental impacts throughout the value chain.
– The Battery Passport will create a transparent record of all the constituent parts in a battery, enabling eco-focused businesses to verify that their fleet purchasing decisions comply with corporate ESG commitments. These include issues of child labour and human rights violations
– To create its Battery Passport proof of concept, EV leader Tesla collected environmental and social data points on its cobalt supply chain, a vital ingredient of EV batteries.
Original Source : https://www.globalfleet.com/en/new-energies/europe/features/new-battery-passport-lets-fleets-compare-environmental-impact-ev-batteries
THIS NEW RV WITH AN EV GARAGE MAKES OFF-GRID LIVING LUXURIOUS
– Imagine experiencing a new way of extended camping, where you get to take your all-electric SUV for a ride during the day, then return to your RV and enjoy all the creature comforts of contemporary living, without having to worry one bit about running out of power. And knowing that your enjoyment isn’t having a negative impact on the environment.
– A new semi-trailer built by Space Craft MFG is meant to bring that vision to life. Designed for a customer who wanted to spend as much time as possible off-grid, while also feeling at home inside his RV, this model combines a luxury interior setup with an unusually large solar array, and a li-ion battery system provided by Volta.
Top that with the capability of supplying enough fresh water, and you’ve got a mobile home that claims to easily stay off-grid for several weeks.
Numbers speak for themselves: 108 kWh of storage ensured by the li-ion system (Volta says it’s the largest one it has ever installed on a towable), a 10,000W array of solar panels that easily slides out, and 485 gallons (1,835 liters) of fresh water storage. All of that fitted onto a 54-foot (16.4 meters) trailer.
– the solar panels can gather up to 50 kWh in one day, which can then be used to keep up the battery levels, or for the EV.
– the trailer was specifically designed to include a versatile 2in1 bedroom/garage that can carry and charge a Volvo XC40 electric SUV.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-new-rv-with-an-ev-garage-makes-off-grid-living-luxurious-208623.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS