Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 18th January it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
NETHERLANDS: PLUG-IN CAR SALES REACHED 51% SHARE IN DECEMBER 2022
– 15,757 new plug-in cars were registered last month
– The share of rechargeable cars out of the total volume amounted to 51 percent
– The final month of the year was especially good for all-electric cars, which with roughly 13,600 registrations noted a 44 percent market share.
– In 2022, more than 107,000 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in the Netherlands, which is over 12 percent more than in 2021 (over 95,000) and about 35 percent of the total market
– One of the biggest surprises of December was a very high number of Tesla Model Y deliveries, which translated into 2,296 new registrations and first place not only among electric cars but also overall, regardless of the powertrain type.
– the next five positions in December were taken by the Volkswagen Group’s electric cars: Audi Q4 e-tron, Cupra Born, Audi e-tron, Volkswagen ID.5 and Volkswagen ID.4.
– Top 10 in 2022:
Lynk & Co 01 PHEV – 5,847
Skoda Enyaq iV – 5,467
Tesla Model Y – 3,892
Peugeot e-208 – 3,618
Kia Niro EV (e-Niro) – 3,424
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/631777/netherlands-plugin-car-sales-december2022/
CALIFORNIA ACCOUNTED FOR 40% OF U.S. ZERO-EMISSION VEHICLE SALES IN 2022
– 19% of all cars sold in California last year were zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs), accounting for 40% of all ZEV sales including hybrid vehicles in the United States, data showed.
– A database collated by California’s Energy Commission showed on Friday that about 346,000 ZEVs were sold in California in 2022, with Tesla Inc’s (TSLA.O) Model 3 leading the sales charts, as about 95,000 of the electric vehicle was sold in the region.
– Tesla’s Model Y compact SUV came a close second, with about 94,000 cars being sold in the state.
– Californians bought about 51,000 plug-in hybrid electric vehicles last year and about 80,000 electric vehicle chargers were installed in the state in 2022.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/california-accounted-40-us-zero-emission-vehicle-sales-2022-2023-01-23/
2024 CHEVY CORVETTE E-RAY HYBRID REVEALED, CAN OUTRUN A Z06
– the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray, and not only is it electrified, it has performance parts and specifications to rival the mighty Z06.
– The hybrid Corvette’s power comes from a combination of the familiar LT2 V8 in the middle and an electric motor at the front. The V8 powers the rear wheels
– The electric motor makes 160 horsepower and 125 pound-feet of torque and powers the front wheels
– Chevy estimates the E-Ray will get to 60 mph in just 2.5 seconds
– it’s fed by a 1.9-kWh battery that sits between the driver and passenger. The motor up front is also surprisingly compact. Looking at the cargo specs, the E-Ray only loses 0.1 cubic foot of space over the regular Corvette. The E-Ray has a couple of unique modes thanks to the electric bits. It has a Stealth Mode that lets the car start up silently, and the car can run fully electric up to 45 mph, provided there’s enough charge and you don’t floor it too hard. The Charge+ mode makes sure that the battery charge is kept as high as possible to ensure maximum power is always available during longer hot driving sessions
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/17/2024-chevrolet-corvette-eray-hybrid-awd-655-hp-reveal/
FORD IS SCALING DOWN VW PARTNERSHIP FOR EVS
– Ford will reduce its dependence on Volkswagen Group’s EV technology as the U.S. automaker shifts its European lineup to electric-only.
After launching two new all-electric EVs based on VW Group’s MEB electric-only architecture, Ford will use its own technology for future electric cars.
– VW’s MEB platform was a transitional technology for Ford and using it saved the company at least two years of development time, Martin Sanders, Ford’s e-car development manager in Europe, told Automotive News Europe sister publication Automobilwoche.
– Ford is spending $2 billion to convert its factory in Cologne, Germany, to build two MEB-based cars, while ending production of the long-running Fiesta hatchback there. By 2026, Ford plans to sell 600,000 electric vehicles a year in Europe.
The first MEB-based Ford EV will be unveiled in March and will be similar in size to the VW ID4 crossover. Ford describes the second EV as a “sport crossover.” It will go into production next year in Cologne.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ford-scaling-down-vw-partnership-evs
BYD REVEALS DEALERSHIP NETWORK PLANS FOR THE UK
– The first stores in the UK will be opening in the first quarter of 2023, with vehicle sales to follow shortly after. The first confirmed dealer partners include Pendragon, Arnold Clark Automobiles, Lookers Motor Group and LSH Auto Holdings.
– The first BYD vehicle to be launched on the market in the UK will be the BYD Atto 3.
– BYD has also previously announced which vehicles will follow the Atto 3 electric SUV, with plans to release the Tang and Han, although it remains unclear when these model options will follow. A month after announcing their electric vehicle trio, BYD announced plans to also offer its Seal electric sedan, which is to be offered over the course of 2023. There have been reports that BYD is also looking to sell the Dolphin compact EV in Europe
– In Germany alone, BYD wants to sell a six-figure number of electric cars in 2026.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2023/01/17/byd-reveals-dealership-network-plans-for-the-uk/
HERTZ AND UBER EXPAND EV PARTNERSHIP
– European expansion will make up to 25,000 Electric Vehicles (EVs) available to Uber drivers to rent across Europe by 2025 – starting in London with the aim to expand to Paris and Amsterdam
– Builds on the existing partnership with Hertz in North America, where nearly 50,000 drivers to date have benefited through the partnership
– Uber aims to be a zero-emissions platform in London by 2025 and in Europe and North America by 2030
– The European expansion of the partnership will begin in Hertz Europe’s London base in January
Original Source : https://www.uber.com/en-GB/newsroom/hertz-and-uber-expand-ev-deal-to-europe/
ITALVOLT ENTERS COLLABORATION WITH STOREDOT
– Italvolt S.p.A., the company developing Italy’s largest independent battery cell factory, today announces it has entered a strategic collaboration with StoreDot
– Italvolt will license StoreDot’s extreme fast charging technology (XFC) and intellectual property rights to manufacture XFC lithium-ion batteries at its plant in Italy. The collaboration includes an offtake agreement for StoreDot, enabling the purchase of Italvolt’s batteries for its own business and customers, once production is complete.
– StoreDot’s ‘100inX’ product roadmap has an ambition to develop advanced battery cells capable of 100 miles of range in 5 minutes’ charge by 2024
– 100 miles in 2 minutes’ charge by 2032.
– the development of extreme energy density batteries, which deliver greater efficiency, a longer lasting performance, and allow for superfast charging.
– The industrial production of XFC lithium-ion batteries will support Italvolt’s vision of creating a modern automotive industry in Italy which generates highly skilled jobs. Italvolt’s lithium-ion battery production will also contribute to wider goals of green industrialisation in Europe, as the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) and battery storage technology becomes more widespread.
Original Source : https://www.italvolt.com/italvolt-enters-strategic-collaboration-with-storedot-for-extreme-fast-charging-lithium-ion-battery-technology/
STOREDOT EXTREME FAST CHARGING HIGH ENERGY BATTERY CELLS NOW IN TESTING
– its groundbreaking XFC batteries and systems are now being tested by over 15 global automotive brand manufacturers, and that it has additional potential manufacturing partnerships in the pipeline for this year.
– Automotive makers are now conducting real-world testing of StoreDot’s XFC battery technology. These OEMs encompass leading companies headquartered in Europe, Asia and the US. Initial test results confirm that StoreDot’s battery cells that can deliver 100 miles of charge in just five minutes, are on track for mass production readiness for passenger cars by 2024. StoreDot’s 300 Wh/kg EV form factor pouch cells achieve over 1,000 consecutive extreme-fast cycles while exclusively guaranteeing auto makers no battery degradation due to extreme fast charging.
Original Source : https://batteryline.com/expert-news/storedot-extreme-fast-charging-high-energy-battery-cells-now-in-testing-by-over-15-global-automotive-brands/
NEW ELECTRIC SUPER HUB OPENS NEAR STONEHENGE
– Visiting one of Britain’s greatest historical and cultural icons has never been easier, thanks to the installation of a new GRIDSERVE Electric Super Hub in the shadow of Stonehenge.
Located a few minutes down the A303 from the prehistoric monument, Solstice Park now offers eight 350kW-capable High Power chargers
– a new drive-thru Greggs and Taco Bell.
– The Solstice Park site in Wiltshire is also an important location for anyone travelling to the south-west. The A303 is a key route from London to holiday hotspots in Devon and Cornwall, meaning the new Electric Super Hub will provide fast, hassle-free, reliable charging to millions of tourists each year.
– The Electric Super Hub features both eight CCS connectors and four CHAdeMO connectors
– Last year was huge for us, with over 100 High Power Chargers installed across 11 Electric Super Hubs and the second Electric Forecourt® opening in Norwich.
Original Source : https://www.gridserve.com/2023/01/17/stonehenge-goes-electric-with-new-electric-super-hub-at-solstice-park/
NEW GOVERNMENT PLAN TO SAVE EV DRIVERS £1000 PER YEAR
– The UK government has announced a new Electric Vehicle Smart Charging Action Plan, which it says could save customers up to £1000 per year through more intelligent and automated EV charging.
– It’s hoped that smart charging – which allows customers to take advantage of cheap and cleaner electricity when demand is low through scheduling, at night or when more renewable energy is available on the grid – will become the preferred method of long-duration charging method for EV drivers in 2025.
– will increase the number of smart chargers currently available
– will also allow more drivers to make use of vehicle-to-load charging
– will introduce more “smart street lamp posts”,
– government will also improve its awareness campaign surrounding smart charging as part of the plan
– “Today’s plan sets out how we will work with Ofgem and industry to kick-start the market for smart charging, which we’re backing up with £16m in innovation funding.”
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-government-plan-save-ev-drivers-%C2%A31000-year
INSIDE THE INDUSTRY: SHOULD ELECTRIC CARS BE TAXED BY EFFICIENCY?
– by Jim Holder
– As the Government ponders how to tax electric cars, I’m surprised by how little debate is being directed at rewarding efficiency – a glaring omission, considering the industry’s focus (driven in part by customer demand) on prioritising both bigger and higher-riding cars, which in both cases are typically more profitable but more consumptive.
– for now EVs make more sense in renewable-loving Norway than coal-dependent Poland or China; and why the UK, a mid-table performer for CO2 output from its energy generation in European terms, must remain relentlessly focused on investing in renewable energy
– Luxury (and therefore the price) is less the enemy of efficiency than our obsession with SUVs, it seems, although it’s likely that the combination of the two represents the worst-case scenario.
– The premise of taxing less efficient cars has underpinned road tax for ICE cars for many years, and it should do so again into the electric era.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/business-electric-vehicles/inside-industry-should-electric-cars-be-taxed-efficiency
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS