Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 16th January it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BMW M PERFORMANCE EVS TO USE RADICAL 4WD TECHNOLOGY
– Testing of the first purely electric BMW sports car is under way, with engineers working to preserve the distinctive dynamic character of an M car in the post-combustion era.
– powered by a pioneering quad-motor, four-wheel drive system capable of “extremely precise” power delivery “within milliseconds”.
– Speaking exclusively to Autocar following the recent unveiling of the new BMW M2 Coupé, which is in line to receive similar technology in its next generation, M CEO Frank van Meel hinted that 4WD performance EVs will take the lead from the F90-generation BMW M5 xDrive saloon.
– highlighted that a powered front axle also allows for greater recuperation of energy under deceleration – potentially a huge boon for electric motorsport. Details of exactly how an electric M car will be marked out from its standard counterparts remain secret, but the top-rung BMW iX M60 SUV and upcoming BMW i7 M70 saloon already have outputs in the region of 600bhp and rapid off-the-mark acceleration
BMW CEO DECLARES ITS EVS WILL SOON BE THE INDUSTRY ‘BENCHMARK’
– After previewing some of the technology on its “Neue Klasse” EV platform at CES last week, BMW’s CEO Oliver Zipse is not mixing words when speaking about the German automaker’s future in the EV market. Zipse was as bold to say that BMW’s next wave of EVs will be the industry benchmark in range, charging speeds, and pricing. Forgive us if you’ve heard this one before.
– While this first taste of BMW’s Neue Klasse (“new class”) architecture exists within a concept EV that will more than likely never see an assembly line, the capabilities it represents are ample enough to leave BMW’s CEO Oliver Zipse feeling rather emboldened.
– as they say, “show, don’t tell.”
– BMW had committed $20 million to long-time partner Solid Power to license its solid-state battery technology and implement assembly lines at its own production facilities.
2023 DACIA SPRING EXTREME DEBUTS NOT-SO-EXTREME 64-HORSEPOWER MOTOR
– Dacia has announced the first major update to the Spring small electric car since the model’s launch in 2021 as Europe’s cheapest EV. At the 2023 Brussels Motor Show, the Renault-owned brand has unveiled the Spring Extreme, a more powerful variant featuring a new electric motor and a more SUV-flavored design.
– Spring Extreme is the Electric 65 motor that delivers 48 kilowatts (64 horsepower), a significant increase over the standard Dacia Spring’s 33-kW (44-hp) motor.
– The battery remains the same 26.8-kWh unit and it enables a range of 220 kilometers (136 miles) in the WLTP combined cycle and 305 kilometers (189 miles) in the WLTP City cycle.
– Customers can order the Dacia Spring Extreme in France from January 17, with prices starting at €22,300 ($24,180) – before subsidies
BIDEN BACKS NEVADA LITHIUM MINE WITH $700M LOAN
– A Nevada lithium mine that would be only the second in the U.S. is getting backing from the Biden administration as it seeks to boost the domestic supply of the critical mineral needed to make electric vehicle batteries.
– The Energy Department issued a conditional commitment for up to $700 million for Ioneer’s Rhyolite Ridge Lithium-Boron Project, a prospective supplier to Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. that could produce enough lithium for 370,000 EVs a year. Project partners include mining and metals processing group Sibanye Stillwater Ltd.
– Demand for lithium, which also is used for grid storage and weapons, is projected to exceed current production by 2030. The U.S. relies on international markets for the processing of most raw materials, according to the department.
– While Asia currently dominates the lithium carbonate refining process, the Rhyolite Ridge deposit is one of two known sizeable lithium-boron deposits in the world, the Energy Department said.
RIVIAN VAN PHOTO TOUR: AMAZON DSP DRIVER ON WHAT IT’S LIKE TO DRIVE
– Brandi Monroe is a delivery driver for Kangaroo Direct, an Amazon Delivery Service Partner in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Follow her on a tour of her favorite features in the new electric delivery van.
– Recently, one of the coolest parts of my job has been working with the new vans from Rivian. We’ve had them for a few months so I’ve gotten pretty familiar with all the new features. One of the biggest differences between the new vans and the previous models is that they are electric powered. They’re really quiet compared to the gas-powered vans. There are also a lot of new, techy features that help make work a bit easier and safer—I especially love the air-conditioned seats!
– The screen built into the dash is also one of my favorite parts of the new vans. It shows real-time route information, customer notes, and other delivery details.
– The 360-degree camera shows me everything around the van. It really improves my visibility and reduces the blind spots.
– The door to the cargo area opens automatically when I park the van. The lights inside the van also come on, which is helpful when I’m delivering later in the day.
HOW AUTOCAR VOTED IN CAR OF THE YEAR 2023
– Each jury member, of which I’m one of 58 who voted this year from 22 countries, has 25 points to give. Points must be awarded to at least five cars, and no car can get more than 10 points.
The criteria covers most ways you’d typically assess a car, but “technical innovation and value for money are major factors”.
– Jeep Avenger – 10 points
The one outstanding car on the shortlist. It has a real maturity to the way it drives, and like the very best small cars it doesn’t feel cheap or dwarfed by the traffic. It’s usefully smaller than rivals, which really adds something new to the EV world. No one has yet made a small EV as complete as Jeep. That such a progressive, innovative car comes from Jeep makes it even more remarkable.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/new-cars/how-autocar-voted-car-year-2023
JEEP AVENGER REVIEW
– At 4.08 metres in length, the Avenger is pitched at the heart of the booming supermini SUV segment – competing against the likes of the Ford Puma and Renault Captur
– 51kWh (usable) battery that is good for a 249-mile range, and can charge at up to 100kW
– The Avenger gets a pair of 10.25in screens, one for the driver display and the other for infotainment that supports full Android Auto and Apple CarPlay wireless connectivity.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/jeep/avenger
2023 VAUXHALL MOKKA ELECTRIC GETS AN IMPROVED 252-MILE RANGE
– Not only has Vauxhall changed the name of its Mokka-e to Mokka Electric, but it has also given the small SUV a new powertrain, which boosts range and adds some extra performance. The revised Mokka Electric will go on sale in March this year
– Offerings from Vauxhall’s sister brands within the Stellantis group include the Citroen e-C4 and Peugeot e-2008 – both of which fail to match the Mokka Electric’s increased 252-mile range. Jeep’s upcoming Avenger will use the same battery as the Mokka and offer two miles more range.
– That battery itself is now a 54kWh unit – replacing the old 50kWh pack. The extra capacity allows for an improvement of 43 miles over the old car, but also comes with a more potent electric motor.
– We expect a modest uplift over the outgoing car’s £36,335 asking price
MATT FARAH CLAIMS VINFAST OFFERED HIM $10,000 TO DRIVE THE VF8 AND VF9 IN VIETNAM
– Vinfast is hoping to make a big splash in America this year with the VF8 and the VF9. Part of getting its name out there is with reviews from automotive media but YouTuber Matt Farah says the company took that a step too far when it offered him $10,000 to come to drive its new cars in Vietnam.
– Vinfast models began arriving in the USA in December with disappointing range estimates. On top of that, they’re priced right alongside cars that have a lot more range and legacy brand power behind them. In an effort to sway buyers, Vinfast invited a number of journalists and influencers to Vietnam last year to test pre-production models.
– According to Matt Farah, the automaker sent him a message promising $10,000 in addition to paying for travel expenses and lodging on a private island. “I said of course not, that sounds f***ing shady,” says Farah of his reaction. The story came up during one of his podcasts as he’s discussing a piece over on Jalopnik that highlighted just how strange of a press launch Vinfast put on.
– “Matt Farah was contacted in March of last year by a company called Blue C, which was an agency VinFast was working with on an influencer outreach program for the New York International Auto Show, not the Vingroup Elite Vietnam Tour. The outreach conducted by the agency was specific to influencers only and not journalists.
As Mr. Farah maintains both earned and paid media platforms, he was identified as an automotive influencer and not as a journalist. At that time, he was asked if he would be interested in providing content about VinFast on his social platform. He would be paid a commensurate rate for his time and expenses as well as for the amount of published content in accord with customary influencer rates.
FIRST PROTERRA POWERED COMMERCIAL EV BATTERY PRODUCED AT NEW POWERED 1 BATTERY FACTORY
– Proterra today announced that the company has produced the first Proterra Powered EV battery at its new Powered 1 battery manufacturing plant located in Greer, South Carolina.
– Proterra is expected to begin deliveries to customers of Proterra Powered™ battery systems from the new battery factory in the first quarter of 2023. In addition, Powered 1 has started production of drivetrains and other ancillary systems incorporated into electric medium- and heavy-duty electric vehicles and equipment, such as high voltage junction boxes.
– “At full scale, we believe Powered 1 will be the largest battery manufacturing facility in the United States dedicated exclusively to electric commercial vehicles and we’re poised to meet the incredible opportunities that lie ahead for zero-emission transportation.”
– Proterra’s first purpose-built, high-volume battery production plant in the Eastern United States with multiple gigawatt hours of annual production capacity planned at the facility.
RENAULT’S FULLY ELECTRIC E-TECH RANGE : REMEMBER HOW MUCH YOU LOVED ELECTRIC CARS
– In 2019, Renault launched the E-Tech label, which brings together the brand’s full hybrid, plug-in hybrid and all‑electric technologies.
– The Mégane E-Tech Electric, on sale since last year, and the All-New Kangoo E-Tech Electric, on sale as of this year, will be joined by three new electric vehicles – electric versions of the Scénic, the Renault 5 and the Renault 4 – by 2025.
– Renault’s new TV advertisement presents its current and future all-electric E-Tech range, showcasing currently available passenger and light-commercial vehicles, as well as future models represented by show cars, including the 4EVER Trophy concept car, the Renault 5 Prototype and the Renault Scénic Vision.
– The ad shows the vehicles driving around a miniature track, drawing a parallel between the toy electric cars that children play with and the somewhat larger electric cars that make adults enjoy driving once more.
– The idea behind the ad was to transport viewers back to their childhood and remind them they always had a soft spot for electric cars.
Original Source : https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=299298
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS