Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 15th January it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
POLESTAR EXEC GOES AFTER TOYOTA FOR ITS ANTI-EV STRATEGY
– Fredricka Klaren, an executive responsible for sustainability at Polestar, has a clear look at what the future should bring, and she shared some words with the media about Polestar’s role in it. Klaren also has strong opinions about what other companies should be doing, and she used Toyota as an example of what not to do.
– We must stop burning fossil fuels. Toyota believes that its hybrids are proving more successful at reducing emissions, likely because they’re more efficient than standard gas-powered cars, and the automaker sells loads of them. However, no matter how you present the facts, there’s no denying that those loads of hybrid vehicles across the globe are spewing harmful tailpipe emissions.
– Klaren went on to emphasize that there are only seven years remaining before global warming hits 1.5 degrees. She targeted Toyota, saying that its hybrid vehicle technology is simply not enough. The Polestar executive shared: “To me, you’re still putting gasoline in the car, so don’t focus on that technology at all. If you keep focussing [and] having that in your business plan, you’re not going to level up in the way you need to do in terms of this new technology.”
PORSCHE, GOOGLE IN TALKS OVER GOOGLE APPS ACCESS
– Porsche is considering fully integrating Google software into its car cockpit, a source close to the company said on Thursday, marking a shift in strategy for the newly listed carmaker.
– would enable Porsche customers access to Google applications like Google Maps and Google Assistant without needing to connect the car to an Android phone.
– Porsche had previously been reluctant to use Google software because Google asked for too much data to be shared, according to Manager Magazin
– Carmakers including General Motors, Renault, Nissan and Ford use embedded Google technology in their vehicles via a Google Automotive Services (GAS) package
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/12/porsche-google-talks-app-acess/
CITROEN E-C4 X REVIEW (2023)
– The new Citroën ë-C4 X is as straightforward a proposition as its name suggests. The ‘ë’ is because it’s electric only, the ‘C4’ because it’s based on the Citroen C4 hatchback and the ‘X’ because there’s more besides: a rakish, fastback-style rear end with a saloon boot.
– It’s longer than the C4, at 4.6 metres rather than 4.36 metres, but has the same 2.67m wheelbase, so everything new is hanging out the rear. It’s very much a saloon version of the hatch, and it’s the longest car made on the Stellantis CMP architecture, meant for smaller cars.
– In Europe, there’s only one powertrain option: a 50kWh battery pack giving a combined test cycle range of 222 miles and which can be charged at rates of up to 100kW, plus a 134bhp front-mounted motor driving the front wheels.
– The ë-C4 X is on sale from £31,995 to £35,495, and it will land here in the spring.
– You will probably have heard about Citroën’s Progressive Hydraulic Cushions, a suspension component that smooths out bumps in certain damping phases
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/citroen/e-c4-x
POWERCO SECURES LAND FOR VOLKSWAGEN’S NEXT BATTERY FACTORY
– Volkswagen’s plans for a battery cell factory in Spain have entered the next phase by purchasing a plot of land. PowerCo, the Group’s battery division, has signed the papers and was ready to invest €63 mn to buy 130 hectares in Sagunt, near Valencia.
– PowerCo CEO Frank Blome announced the deal first on LinkedIn.
– PowerCo aims for 40 GWh capacity per year
– PowerCo will begin construction this quarter, with production to kick off in 2026.
– Sagunt will thus become the second “gigafactory” in the Volkswagen Group network, next to the identical battery plant in Salzgitter, Germany. The plant in Skellefteå will be overseen by Northvolt in Sweden.
– The Pamplona plant will build the VW ID.2 X crossover variant and the offshoot for Skoda, called Elroq. These new models correspond to the current VW T-Cross and Skoda Kamiq. The Group targets entry prices of all these small electric cars between 20,000 to 25,000 euros.
EVGO LAUNCHES “EVGO RENEW”
– today announced EVgo ReNew™, an enhanced and comprehensive maintenance program designed to ensure stations across EVgo’s charging network meet its quality and technology standards. Through the program, EVgo plans to replace, upgrade, or in some cases retire, hundreds of stations over the coming year with the goals of enhancing charger availability and building range confidence for EV drivers of all types.
– EVgo ReNew is comprised of six core pillars that outline EVgo’s approach to reliability: Prevention, Diagnostics, Rapid Response, Analysis, Resilience, and Continuous Customer Service. This effort includes ramping up in-person preventative health checks of chargers; improving system monitoring, diagnostic, and recovery tools; replacing legacy equipment; and retiring problematic chargers if replacement or upgrade is impractical. EVgo ReNew builds on EVgo’s existing charger maintenance efforts, which include 24/7 monitoring and preventative health checks at charging stations,
– Where possible, EVgo will install new chargers with power levels up to 350kW.
– Through the first three quarters of 2022, EVgo upgraded, replaced or removed 125 charging stalls and is actively working with partners and site hosts to evaluate upgrading, replacing, or removing hundreds of additional charging stalls in 2023.
JAY LENO LIKES THE RIVIAN R1T, BUT HERE HE IS DRIVING THE R1S TOGETHER WITH RJ SCARINGE
– Instead of presenting the many cool things about the all-electric pickup truck and SUV, the two decided to skip the deep dive into the Rivian universe. They talked about the transition the automotive world is going through and what it may mean for future generations. There are a couple of things worth remembering.
– Jay Leno drove the R1T for approximately a week
– While the pickup truck and the SUV look fairly similar, it’s worth noting that the R1S has a shorter wheelbase, third-row seating, and no gear tunnel.
– the dual-motor layout is being rushed in 2023, even though it was planned for 2024. Customers who wanted a motor for each wheel and the largest battery option possible (quad-motor layout and the max pack) won’t be able to have it any longer – they either get the two-motor version with the bigger battery or pay more for the quad-motor vehicle with the standard energy storage unit.
– RJ Scaringe argues all internal combustion engine vehicles will be replaced by zero-tailpipe emission cars during the next couple of decades.
SECOND LIFE ENERGY STORAGE FIRMS ANTICIPATING EV BATTERY BOOM
– The boom in electric vehicles is set to see hundreds of GWh of used EV batteries hit the market over the 2030s, which can then be given a ‘second life’ in stationary energy storage.
– The shortage of lithium-ion battery cells continues to hamper the stationary energy storage system (ESS) industry, and the mismatch in supply and demand does not look like going away anytime soon. That means the value proposition of repurposing used electric vehicle (EV) batteries into ESS units is as clear as day.
– Moment Energy has a project pipeline of over 20MWh projects but, like BatteryLoop, could deploy 100MWh based on its battery volumes if it had enough manufacturing capacity, CEO Edward Chiang says.
– Evyon has raised over €10 million to-date and has secured access to 40MWh of battery modules for delivery to customers during 2023
– The second life market looks set to boom in the coming years as EV uptake grows. But it is still taking shape so it will be fascinating to see what roles OEMs, battery recycling firms and system integrators carve out for themselves in the space.
TESLA OWNER TRIES FREE SPACEX STARLINK INTERNET SERVICE AT SUPERCHARGE
– A Tesla owner tried the free SpaceX Starlink Internet service offered at a Tesla Supercharger station in California. “Starlink found at the Hawthorne Supercharger,” @JustStarman captioned a pair of photographs featuring a squared Starlink antenna installed at the station. The Supercharger station is located next to a Target shopping center on 2700 W 120 Street. They said that Starlink has “great speeds.” He performed an online speed test and Starlink generated download speed of 134.12Mbps (Megabits per second).
– SpaceX currently operates approximately 3,300 internet-beaming Starlink satellites in Low Earth Orbit that provide high-speed internet service to over one million customers globally. The company also started to beam internet to vehicles in motion, such as RV’s, airplanes, trains, and cruise ships. SpaceX already operates the world’s largest satellite constellation but it is not done launching satellites, the constellation will have at least 12,000 Starlink satellites that will be deployed within the next five years.
Original Source : https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/starlink-tesla
HUAWEI AITO SLASHES PRICES TO COMPETE WITH TESLA – GIZMOCHINA
– A new price reduction of up to 30,000 yuan ($4,470) has been announced by Huawei-powered Chinese automaker AITO in response to Tesla
– The AITO M5 EV rear-wheel drive basic version will now cost 259,800 yuan, down 28,800 yuan ($4,172), according to the specifics of the price drop. The price of the M5 EV four-wheel drive performance version will drop to 289,800 yuan ($4,470), a reduction of 30,000 yuan. These price cuts have brought the M5 EV’s price into line with that of the rear-drive Tesla Model Y. Furthermore, the luxury M7 version’s price is now comparable to that of the Model Y with a lengthy battery life.
OVER HALF OF LINCOLN DEALERS OPT INTO FORD’S EV PROGRAM
– Ford gave its dealers, including Lincoln, an ultimatum to either buy in and go all-in on selling electric vehicles or wait until 2027 as part of its voluntary Model-e EV program. Although a little over half of Lincoln dealers opted in, they account for the great majority of the brand’s sales.
– According to a new report from Automotive News, 59% of them have joined Ford’s “epic journey” to invest up to $900,000 to sell EVs. Of Lincoln’s 600 US dealers, 356 are opting in, including all standalone dealerships. A spokesperson from the company told Automotive News:
This gives Lincoln a robust network of retailers who have agreed to take the necessary steps to prepare for our brand’s transition towards electrification and better serve our EV clients.
– , the 356 Lincoln dealers account for 88% of the brand’s sales volume, with about 90% of them located in the nation’s top 130 luxury markets.
– $900,000 investment results in two DC fast chargers and seven level 2 chargers. Dealerships that include both Ford and Lincoln are required to invest in both programs
HERE’S EVERY NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE MODEL FOR SALE IN THE U.S. FOR 2023
– Shoppers looking for zero-emissions driving now have an expansive list of vehicles to choose from, with a wide variety of body styles and several different price points. To make it easy on you, we’ve compiled them all in one place and listed them in order of their combined MPGe ratings from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
– GMC Hummer EV — 47 MPGe
– Rivian R1S — 71 MPGe
– Rivian R1T — 73 MPGe
– Audi e-tron Sportback — 78 MPGe
– Audi e-tron — 79 MPGe
– Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo — 80 MPGe
– Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo — 80 MPGe
– Audi e-tron GT — 82 MPGe
– Porsche Taycan — 83 MPGe
– Jaguar I-Pace — 85 MPGe (tie)
– Mercedes EQS SUV — 85 MPGe (tie)
– Volvo XC40 Recharge — 85 MPGe (tie)
– BMW iX — 86 MPGe
– Volvo C40 Recharge — 87 MPGe
– BMW i7 — 89 MPGe (tie)
– Cadillac Lyriq — 89 MPGe (tie)
– Mazda MX-30 — 92 MPGe
– Audi Q4 e-tron Sportback — 95 MPGe (tie)
– Genesis GV60 — 95 MPGe (tie)
– Genesis Electrified G80 — 97 MPGe
– Ford Mustang Mach-E — 101 MPGe
– Tesla Model X — 102 MPGe
– Audi Q4 e-tron — 103 MPGe (tie)
– Mercedes EQS — 103 MPGe (tie)
– Nissan Ariya — 103 MPGe (tie)
– Subaru Solterra — 104 MPGe
– Polestar 2 — 107 MPGe (tie)
– Volkswagen ID.4 — 107 MPGe (tie)
– BMW i4 — 109 MPGe
– Mini Hardtop Cooper SE — 110 MPGe
– Nissan Leaf — 111 MPGe
– Kia Niro EV — 113 MPGe
– Hyundai Ioniq 5 — 114 MPGe
– Chevrolet Bolt EUV — 115 MPGe
– Kia EV6 — 117 MPGe
– Toyota bZ4X — 119 MPGe
– Chevrolet Bolt EV — 120 MPGe (tie)
– Hyundai Kona Electric — 120 MPGe (tie)
– Tesla Model S — 120 MPGe (tie)
– Tesla Model Y — 123 MPGe
– Tesla Model 3 — 132 MPGe
– Lucid Air — 140 MPGe
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g32463239/new-ev-models-us/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
LEASEPLAN ELECTRIC MOMENTS – PROVIDING ALL THE TOOLS AND GUIDANCE EV DRIVERS NEED
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVOREALESTATE
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAN FROM EMOBILITYNORWAY
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS