Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 22nd September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
MITSUBISHI MOTORS’ NEW GENERATION ASX PHEV
– Mitsubishi has premiered the new generation ASX
– RVR or Outlander Sport in some markets
– Based on the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance CMF-B platform, the new ASX is a compact SUV supplied by Renault and developed specifically for the European market
– Manufactured at Renault’s Valladolid plant in Spain
– In select European markets from March 2023.
– The plug-in hybrid (PHEV) model with a 1.6-liter gasoline engine and a 10.5 kWh battery.
NIKOLA BADGER WAS MADE OF FORD F-150 PARTS
– In February 2020, EV startup Nikola revealed its Badger pickup
– Battery electric one and a hydrogen fuel-cell.
– Started taking preorders for the Badger in June 2020, only to announce the cancelation of the project in November that same year after GM backed off a deal to build the Badger for Nikola.
– Nikola had no prototype or manufacturing plan for the pickup at the time it started taking $5,000 reservations
– According to fresh details that emerged from the criminal fraud trial of Nikola founder Trevor Milton. The jury was told that the prototype shown to the world in February 2020 was made partly of components from the Ford F-150 Raptor and a “chopped up” electric Nikola power sports vehicle, which was also in early development at the time.
– Milton risks a maximum prison term of 25 years
LAND ROVER HALEWOOD FACTORY TO BUILD ELECTRIC CARS
– The company has begun the tendering process to upgrade the factory to build cars on the new ‘Native BEV’ Electrified Modular Architecture (EMA)
– Models using the new platform will include replacements for the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport
– good news for the facility’s 3700 employees
– opened in 1963 by Ford, which retains part of the site for building gearboxes and will invest more than £200 million repurposing it
– The platform is “battery agnostic”, meaning it can accept any battery shape and chemistry,
TOP GEAR TESTS ARIEL HIPERCAR
– 1,180 horsepower from its four electric motors and it also has a small jet engine on-board that acts like a range extender.
– Ariel says it wants to get the model’s weight down to 1,499 kg (3,305 pounds)
– it only has a small 56 kWh battery pack. One-charge range is rated at 150 miles (240 km), but thanks to the range extender, the vehicle can travel considerably further.
– for flat-out track driving, the range extender isn’t enough to keep the car on track or an entire day, yet it will still allow for much more track time than had it been a pure EV.
MERCEDES-AMG C 63 S E PERFORMANCE LAUNCH
– Performance hybrid with technology transfer from Formula 1™
– A two-speed electric motor positioned on the rear axle
– The electric powertrain and the high-performance battery with 400 volts are AMG-exclusive, in-house developments.
– being launched simultaneously as a Saloon and as an Estate
– Includes Drift Mode and active rear steering
– electric range of 13 kilometres
– Two electronically controlled AIR PANELS (behind the radiator grille and in the front apron) allow the air to be regulated as required.
– the Saloon and Estate accelerate from a standstill to 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds. Acceleration only ends at an electronically governed 280 km/h
– The electric motor acts directly on the rear axle and can therefore convert its power more directly into propulsion – for that extra boost when moving off, accelerating or overtaking.
– If slip occurs at the rear axle, the drive power of the electric motor is also transferred to the front wheels as needed for more traction. The mechanical connection of the fully variable all-wheel drive makes this possible by means of a propeller shaft and the drive shafts of the front wheels.
– All-electric driving is possible from standstill up to 125 km/h, with the combustion engine always switched off. The mechanical connection to the AMG Performance 4MATIC+ components means that all-wheel drive is always available
– The high-performance battery in the C 63 S E PERFORMANCE offers a capacity of 6.1 kWh, continuous output of 70 kW and a peak output of 150 kW for ten seconds.
– the battery is always within a consistent, optimum operating temperature window averaging 45 degrees Celsius, no matter how often it is charged or discharged.
– Level 3: Maximum energy recovery, making so-called “one-pedal” driving possible as in an all-electric car. Depending on the driving status, more than 100 kW of power can be fed back into the battery.
FORD REVEAL DETAILS OF ELECTRIC TRANSIT
– At the Hannover IAA Transportation event, Ford revealed new features and specifications of its all-new E Transit Custom, a fully electric commercial van, or what the automaker calls a “smartphone on wheels.”
– Ted Cannis, CEO of Ford Pro, and Martin Sander, GM of Ford Europe, spoke about the benefits of the new Ford E-Transit Custom
– Pro Power Onboard delivers 2.3 kW of power, enough for a mobile worksite without needing a separate generator.
– Ford Pro Charging can be scheduled anytime from anywhere to stay charged and ready to go.
– 5G connectivity keeps owners connected while on the move.
– Mobile office features include a tilting steering wheel to place a laptop or to lay flat and use as a desk, and – the electric work van also features a 13-inch touch screen.
– Delivery assist completes replicated tasks such as closing the windows and locking the cab doors to save time.
– The van’s battery has a 74-kilowatt-hour capacity to provide up to 236 miles (380 kilometers) on a charge in the WLTP test. The pack supports DC fast charging at up to 125 kilowatts. The system can also feed 2.3 kW of electricity to tools or other devices needing power.
XPENG OFFICIALLY LAUNCHES G9
– XPeng Motors has officially let its highly anticipated flagship SUV, the G9, go on sale
– The XPeng G9 is the first production model from a local automaker based on the 800 V high-voltage SiC platform, with a peak charging power of 430 kW in its 4C version.
– When using XPeng’s S4 ultra-fast charging pile, the 4C version can achieve a range of 200 km in 5 minutes of charging, and the fastest charging time from 10 percent to 80 percent is only 15 minutes.
– XPeng will continue to advance its ultra-fast charging network with plans to build more than 50 S4 ultra-fast charging stations in core cities in China this year and expects to add more than 500 such stations next year.
Original Source: https://cnevpost.com/2022/09/21/xpeng-officially-launches-g9/
PENDRAGON IN TALKS TO BRING CHINESE EVS TO BRITAIN
– British auto dealer Pendragon Plc is in advanced discussions with BYD Co. to be its UK launch partner as China’s biggest electric-vehicle maker enters the market later this year.
– Talks come as BYD strives to expand its business beyond China and become a global brand. Early in September, the company signed a land-purchase deal in Thailand to construct its first EV plant in Southeast Asia. Elsewhere, BYD is also targeting Cambodia, Denmark, Japan, Sweden and Israel in its push to build presence abroad.
SPARKCHARGE UPDATES ITS MOBILE CHARGING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE
– At a recent event at its headquarters in Somerville, Massachusetts, mobile charging provider SparkCharge unveiled new features for its Currently mobile app, along with updates to its Roadie mobile DC fast charger system.
– The new Roadie V3 Charger delivers charging power levels of 90-125 kW, which the company says can add up to 10 miles of range per minute. Each Roadie V3 Battery can deliver up to 250 miles of range, SparkCharge says. The Roadie V3 Hybrid is a grid-independent version.
– SparkCharge also introduced two updates for its Currently app. Currently Concierge is a mobile on-demand concierge charging service. Currently Connect allows members to give Currently technicians access to a vehicle’s charge port, so they can pop the charge port open and begin charging immediately upon arrival. The mobile app will now be able to capture an EV’s state of charge, identify current mileage, unlock and lock the charging port, and access the vehicle’s GPS.
2035 ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANDATE AS ‘SWEET SPOT’
– California’s choice of 2035 as the deadline to end gasoline-only new car sales was the “sweet spot” that will sharply cut emissions but was also realistic for the industry, the head of the state’s clean air regulator said on Tuesday.
– In August, CARB said it would require all new vehicles sold in California by 2035 to be electric or plug-in hybrid electrics after Governor Gavin Newsom issued a 2020 executive order directing the move. CARB said the rules will reduce smog-causing pollution from light-duty vehicles by 25% by 2037 and result in 9.5 million fewer conventional vehicles sold by 2035. Automakers in 2035 can sell no more than 20% of models as PHEVs.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS