Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 20th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
12.500 PRE-ORDERS FOR THE ID. BUZZ
– Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (VWN) has published an update on the interim status of pre-orders for the ID. Buzz. This has revealed currently around 12,500 pre-orders – of which more than 6,000 reservations are for the ID. Buzz Cargo.
– As VWN boss Carsten Intra told the German automotive publication Automobilwoche, the delivery time for the ID Buzz is currently around half a year. “We are now already at the delivery date at the end of the first quarter, March or April 2023,” he said. The annual production is virtually already sold out beyond this year where production has been picked up again after a delay at the VWN plant in Hanover.
– VWN has been surprised about the high demand, even though there are currently no ID. Buzz at dealers, and none of the customers has seen, touched or driven the vehicle. In Copenhagen, VWN representatives let it slip that although they formally speak of pre-orders, they are already binding orders – and not just reservations for a minimal fee that can be revoked at any time.
– Delivery of the first customer vehicles is scheduled for November.
– 100 ID. Buzz are currently being produced per day in Hanover, a number that should grow to 200 units per day by the end of the year.
– Eventually, up to 130,000 ID. Buzz per year are to be built in Hanover.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/09/19/12-500-pre-orders-for-the-id-buzz/
PREMIERE OF THE MERCEDES-BENZ ECITARO
– The abbreviation is NMC°3: Behind it is a new generation of high-performance batteries for the all-electric low-floor Mercedes-Benz eCitaro urban bus. An exceptional advantage is its enormous capacity which leads to a long range without the need for opportunity charging. In addition, there is the modular design of the battery equipment. The first eCitaro buses with the new battery generation are expected to be delivered before the end of 2022. The eCitaro is celebrating its premiere with NMC°3 batteries at the IAA Transportation 2022 Press Days in Hanover.
– The new generation are also lithium-ion batteries. Precisely formulated around cells with a new, high-energy NMC cathode (NMC: lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide), a liquid electrolyte and an advanced graphite anode. The common abbreviation NMC (nickel, manganese, cobalt) also originates from battery chemistry.
– ultra-compact cylindrical cells with the identifier 21700 (21°mm diameter and 70°mm height) and high-energy cell chemistry are used.
– 600 battery cells are installed within each battery module. They are integrated into the cooling circuit to ensure the battery’s comfortable temperature of around 25 degrees Celsius. Temperature control ensures maximum service life and efficient charging. Nine battery modules combine to form a battery pack with 5400 cells. This works out at a nominal energy of 98°kWh per battery pack.
– Under average conditions, the maximum equipment ensures a reliable range of 220 kilometers for the eCitaro solo bus
– Thanks to its high energy capacity, the eCitaro with new generation batteries is also ideally suited for long routes and subsequent socket charging at the depot. This makes a charging capacity of up to 150 °kW is possible.
Original Source : https://media.daimlertruck.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=52029735&ls=L2VuL2luc3RhbmNlL2tvLnhodG1sP29pZD01MjAyOTczNCZyZWxJZD02MDgyMiZmcm9tT2lkPTUyMDI5NzM0JnJlc3VsdEluZm9UeXBlSWQ9NDA2MjcmZnJvbUluZm9UeXBlSWQ9NDA2MzA!&rs=0
BYD UNVEILS EBUS BLADE PLATFORM
– BYD unveils its ground-breaking new eBus Blade Platform, alongside an upgraded model in its eBus range, and also introduces two exciting zero-emission eTrucks to European customers.
– Two pure-electric trucks, the ETM6 7.5 Tonne urban delivery truck and the ETH8 19 Tonne truck designed for logistics and waste collection, debut the event, alongside BYD’s new upgraded 12m eBus. The vehicles on show feature BYD’s very latest technology for safe, reliable and efficient electric transport, and have been designed with European customers in mind.
– A focal attraction of the stand is the official European reveal of BYD’s new and highly adaptable eBus Blade Platform, incorporating the ultra-safe, and highly durable Blade Battery that is revolutionising battery electric transportation. The rigorously tested Blade Battery passes the punishing demands of the Nail Penetration Test, regarded as the ultimate battery safety test. The Blade’s Battery distinctive CTP (cell to pack) technology significantly improves rigidity compared to traditional structures, giving it superior strength. The space-saving design of the Blade Battery, representing a 50% reduction, is inherent to eBus Blade Platform development, enabling increased battery capacity for a longer driving range, while also reducing chassis weight.
– There are now more than 2.5 million BYD new energy vehicles on the road, worldwide today, of which 90,000 are commercial vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.bydeurope.com/article/434
RENAULT UNVEILS ALL-NEW TRAFIC VAN E-TECH ELECTRIC
– French automaker Renault has joined the number of major car-makers unveiling a new all electric van, with an electric version of the company’s bestselling Renault Trafic Van to join the electric Kangoo debuted more than a decade earlier.
– The new Renault Trafic Van E-Tech Electric was unveiled at the world’s biggest truck show, the IAA Transportation trade show in Hannover, and is based on the ICE model that has sold more than 2.2 million units in more than 50 countries since 1980, and is Europe’s third most-sold light utility vehicle.
– Ford and Daimler have also released electric versions of their popular delivery vans, as VW also offered test drives of its already popular ID.Buzz
– The electric Trafic has a 52kWh battery that provides the electric Trafic with a range of 240 kilometres (WLTP) and the ability to transport 1.1 tonnes. It has a choice of three types of chargers is offered – a single-phase 7kW AC charger, a 22kW AC charger for rapid public charging, and an optional 50kW DC fast charger.
RAM TRUCKS CEO SAYS ELECTRIC PICKUP WILL ‘PUSH PAST’ COMPETITION
– Ram Trucks didn’t reveal any new vehicles at this year’s Detroit auto show, but the enthusiasm that brand CEO Mike Koval Jr. offered in an interview might make you think otherwise.
– that pickup is on its way, with a Ram Revolution Concept truck planned to be shown the night before the LA Auto Show in November, according to Koval. The production version of the full-size Ram electric pickup, which doesn’t yet have a name, is to be unveiled next year.
– Koval assured that the Stellantis brand would “push past” what the competitors, which would include Ford and Chevrolet, have announced and what customers expect in an electric truck’s “core attributes.” Those attributes, hauling and towing, for instance, are key for pickup customers, and Koval said the electric Ram would deliver.
– “More and more truck intenders are open-minded to the idea of electrification in their pickups, but they’re not willing to sacrifice our most core attributes that make a truck a truck, like towing, like hauling, and in the future, range and charge time. In other words, ‘trucks still need to do truck things’ is the message that we’re receiving” through feedback to date,” Koval said.
– The midsize truck market offers the biggest white space opportunity for the brand, Koval said, acknowledging that the Dakota name has a lot of heritage but that it’s too early to say what that concept vehicle might be called.
TESLA MARKS A MILESTONE IN NORWAY: 90,000 CARS SOLD
– Tesla has reached a milestone in Norway. The manufacturer has registered more than 90,000 vehicles in the country with a population of only 5.4 million.
– Lasse Edvardsen/Twitter, which monitors the manufacturer’s sales in the country, reported that Tesla’s 90,000th vehicle was registered on September 17, which summed up the brand’s success in Norway perfectly.
– to date, the manufacturer’s Model Y continues to hold the top spot in sales this year.
TESLA SHANGHAI FACTORY EXPANSION COMPLETED AND UNDERGOING TESTS
– Tesla Inc. finished upgrading production lines at its Shanghai factory on Monday and is testing them until Nov. 30 as it doubles the plant’s annual output to 1 million vehicles. The upgrade took nine months, according to a document filed to the Shanghai government’s environmental information disclosures platform.
– Tesla will lift Model Y output in Shanghai to about 14,000 SUVs a week from about 11,000 pre-pandemic, while Model 3 sedan production will rise to 7,700 units from 5,500
TESLA’S GERMAN BATTERY PLANT AND LAND EXTENSION ON TRACK, MAYOR SAYS
– Tesla (TSLA.O) has confirmed to the mayor of Gruenheide that its plans to operate the battery plant currently under construction in Germany are unchanged, mayor Arne Cristiani told Reuters
– “Tesla put everything reported in the American newspaper into perspective. The plant is still being built,” Cristiani said, referring to a report in the Wall Street Journal last week that Tesla was pausing its plans to make batteries in Germany.
TESLA SUPERCHARGER PRICES ARE GOING UP SIGNIFICANTLY
– Tesla is increasing its Supercharger prices significantly across Europe amid the energy crisis on the continent.
This follows more price increases throughout the year and around the world for Tesla’s charging network. Today, Tesla sent an email to owners in Europe to warn them of another bigger price increase on the Supercharger network.
– Checking my nearest Supercharger open to non-Teslas, which is Wokingham, it would cost a non Tesla 77p per kWh or 67p with membership.
NIO’S TWO FOUNDERS BOTH IN GERMANY AS EV MAKER RAMPS UP EFFORTS IN EUROPE
– NIO’s founder, chairman, and CEO William Li, and co-founder and president Qin Lihong were both in Germany and took a ride in the company’s ES8, according to information shared by a car blogger on Weibo on Sunday.
– Li and Qin’s visit to Germany comes at a time when NIO is ramping up its efforts in Europe.
– NIO first presented the ET7 in Germany last September, and the company said at the time that the ET7 would be its first model to be sold in Germany in 2022, with deliveries expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2022.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/09/19/nio-two-founders-both-in-germany/
EVIATION INKS DEAL FOR 50 ELECTRIC PLANES FOR CARIBBEAN
– Island-hopping in the Caribbean is set to get a whole lot more eco-friendly. Electric plane developer Eviation says it has inked a deal with GlobalX, a regional flight company that operates in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
– Due to be delivered by 2027, the 50 Alice planes will allow GlobalX to offer zero-emissions flights to passengers on short haul routes.
– Specifications for the electric plane described by the company as “targets” include a flight range of 440 nautical miles (814km), and a maximum cruising speed of 250 knots (463km/hr). A payload of 1.133 tonnes, and take-off needs of approximately 800 metres are also specified.
HEART AEROSPACE PRESENTS HYBRID REGIONAL AIRCRAFT
– The Swedish electric aircraft developer Heart Aerospace has presented the ES-30, a hybrid-electric regional aircraft for up to 30 passengers. The ES-30 is to be operational from 2028 and achieve a purely electric range of 200 kilometres. A launch customer is already onboard.
– Heart Aerospace says that with reserve generators, the aircraft’s range should be able to be doubled to 400 kilometres. The new ES-30 (with the 30 passengers in the name) replaces the ES-19, the previously planned concept for 19 passengers.
– Reuters reported that Scandinavian airline SAS is also considering adding an undisclosed number of aircraft for shorter routes in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
– The ES-30 is a shoulder-wing aircraft and is powered by a total of four electric motors. The energy for the electrically driven propellers comes from the battery, the details of which were not revealed.
– The cabin has three seats per row, a small galley and a toilet. In addition, there are the usual stowage compartments for hand luggage in the cabin, but also a large cargo compartment. This should give airlines the usual flexibility of use.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE ‘RANGE WARS’ COULD BOOST V2G POTENTIAL, SAY RIVIAN AND OTHER AUTOMAKERS
– Roughly 300 miles of range is often considered a “tipping point” for customers to make the shift from an internal combustion engine to an EV. GM recently unveiled an electric 2024 Chevy Equinox, a mainstream crossover that can get 300 miles with certain specifications. Rivian, which focuses on trucks and off-road vehicles, offers its R1S with ranges that can exceed 320 miles.
– Despite similar ranges, the Equinox starts at $30,000 and the R1S at $78,000.
– Automakers say they are engaged in a “range war,” adding energy storage capacity in order to win over electric vehicle customers concerned about how far they can drive their car or truck before needing to recharge.
– However, “you can’t just pile on batteries” as the additional storage can quickly add to the vehicle price and weight, Rivian Senior Director of Public Policy Chris Nevers said last week at the Novi Battery Show, outside of Detroit.
BMW DOESN’T THINK YOU NEED MORE THAN 621 MILES OF RANGE FROM AN EV
– The next generation of batteries from BMW will dramatically increase the range of its EVs but the automaker has no plans of selling cars that can travel more than 621 miles (1,000 km) on a single charge.
– “Gen6 batteries will give us 30% or more range than our current Gen5, but we won’t go over 1000 km [620 miles] of range, even though we can,” BMW head of Efficient Dynamics Thomas Albrecht told Autocar. “We don’t think that such a long range is necessary.”
– “With this next generation of battery, we will be much more flexible with how we integrate the cell,” BMW’s head of battery cell development Marie-Therese von Srbik explained. “The whole vehicle is becoming more adaptive towards that.”
– BMW plans to establish no less than six battery plants in Canada, China, Europe, Mexico, and the United States for the new cells. It also expects the new cells to contribute to a drop in production costs of as much as 50 per cent.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS