Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 18th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
GM INVESTING $491 MILLION IN INDIANA TO SUPPORT EV PRODUCTION
– General Motors announced today it will invest $491 million at its Marion, Indiana metal stamping operations to prepare the facility to produce a variety of steel and aluminum stamped parts for future products, including electric vehicles, built at multiple GM assembly plants.
– The investment will be used to purchase and install two new press lines, complete press and die upgrades, for renovations and to construct an approximately 6,000-square-foot addition. Work on the facility will begin later this year.
– “Indiana is the number one ranked manufacturing production state in America per capita and ranks in the top three for automotive vehicles,” said Indiana Gov. Eric J. Holcomb.
– First opened in 1956, GM’s Marion Metal Center produces sheet metal parts for multiple GM assembly plants to support production of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles.
GAC-AION REVEALS HYPERCAR BRAND AND FIRST MODEL
– GAC Group, has presented its new premium brand Hyper and its first representative Hyper SSR. The model is an all-electric super sports car with gullwing doors and a maximum output of 913 kW.
– The supercar will be available in two versions. The regular version can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.3 seconds and will be offered at a pre-sale price of just under 1.3 million yuan (around 190,000 euros). The other version, Hyper SSR Ultimate, costs just under 1.7 million yuan (around 240,000 euros) and can sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in 1.9 seconds.
– Hyper SSR will be produced and delivered from October 2023
– The super sports car will have a torque of 12,000 Nm and will be based on a 900-volt platform.
WATCH GAC’S AION V CHARGE FROM 30 TO 80 PERCENT IN 10 MINUTES
– Elliot Richards visited GAC-backed Greater Bay Technology (GBT) in Guangzhou to test its latest extreme fast-charging (XFC) tech that’s claimed to be capable of charging the Aion V compact SUV’s battery from 0 to 80% in just 8 minutes.
– GAC has two types of pouch battery cells compatible with XFC at the moment, 3C and 6C. The former supports 522 amps, 414.4 volts and 480 kilowatts, leading to a claimed 0-80% charging time of 15 minutes and 30-80% in about 10 minutes.
– The latter, which is still under development and set to launch in just a few months, can support 558 amps and 769.6 volts—no word on the charging rate yet. The charging times with the 6C battery will be spectacular: 0-80% in 8 minutes and 30-80% in 5 minutes.
– Fully Charged only got to do a charge test of the 3C battery in the Aion V, but even this lesser tech provided lightning fast charging. Starting with the battery at 29% SoC, the Aion V reached 80% in just 10 minutes, which is really quick. Mind you, the 6C technology has the potential to halve that time.
– it guarantees the battery for 1 million kilometers (621,000 miles) and over 1,600 extreme fast-charging cycles! As Elliott points out, the car will definitely fall apart before the battery.
– After that point, the automaker claims the battery will see only 5 percent degradation,
CHINESE NEV FIRMS ACCELERATE GLOBAL LAYOUT
– Chinese electric-vehicle maker (EV) NIO celebrated the shipment of its first battery swap station from Biatorbagy, Hungary, to Germany on Friday, produced by NIO Power Europe, the company’s first overseas plant.
– NIO said that the facility will support its commitment to installing 1,000 battery swap stations outside China by 2025. In the second half of this year, NIO’s integrated power services and automotive products will be available in Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark, according to a statement from NIO.
– Analysts said that the NEV industrial chain, from upstream to downstream, can be roughly divided into four parts: batteries, including battery materials and battery manufacturing, NEV production and sales, NEV usage, including charging piles and battery swap stations, and recycling.
– From all aspects, Chinese enterprises are in a leading position across the NEV industrial chain, especially EVs, and are accelerating their overseas layout, which will further secure the dominant position
– China produces 75 percent of all lithium batteries and is home to 70 percent of production capacity for cathodes, and 85 percent for anodes, both key components used in batteries.
– Major lithium battery makers in China invested over 439 billion yuan ($63.1 billion) to build new production lines in the first half in 2022, which were expected to generate a production capacity of 1,069 gigawatt-hour
Original Source : https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202209/1275582.shtml
NEW YORK’S ‘DRIVE CLEAN’ REBATE PROGRAM RUNS OUT OF MONEY
– New York State’s “Drive Clean” EV rebate program has run out of money, according to the state agency that runs the rebate program.
This morning, u/fiehlsport posted on r/electricvehicles on Reddit that the “Clean Drive” EV rebate program had contacted him and that he would no longer be recieving the funds he applied for because the program had run out of money. Teslarati reached out to numerous parts of the New York State government and finally confirmed that this is the case.
– The agency confirmed to Teslarati this morning that both the program had run out of money and that customers who recently applied would no longer be receiving the funds they applied for. However, Teslarati was also told that “new funding will be given to the program soon,” said one NYSERDA representative, though no timeline for these added funds was available.
– Even though money may no longer be available currently, the NYSERDA representative assured Teslarati that customers could apply for the rebate later once funds were available. However, due to the program’s structure, customers will have to work with their dealers to apply again in the future, and there is no telling when this will again be available.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/new-york-drive-clean-rebate-bankrupt/
NATIONAL DRIVE ELECTRIC WEEK
– The National Drive Electric Week is venturing across entire North America to promote the use and importance of electric vehicles to the world, focusing on clean energy features for all. The shift to clean energy is hard, and not all are willing to embrace the fact that this is the future of transportation to help save what’s left in this world.
– The event will take place by next week Friday, September 23, and will last for more than a week until Sunday, October 2.
Original Source : https://www.techtimes.com/articles/280700/20220916/national-drive-electric-week-promoting-clean-energy-events-north-america%E2%80%94what.htm
National Drive Electric Week
– National Drive Electric Week, Sep 23-Oct 2, 2022, is a nationwide celebration to raise awareness of the many benefits of all-electric and plug-in hybrid cars, trucks, motorcycles, and more. Are you considering going electric? RSVP for an in-person or online event to learn from owners who have done so!
Original Source : https://driveelectricweek.org/
BOSCH STARTING VOLUME PRODUCTION OF NEW ELECTRIC DRIVE UNIT
Dr. Uwe Gackstatter – President Bosch Powertrain Solutions Division
– We are now starting volume production of a new drive unit for such light commercial vehicles, consisting of an electric motor and an integrated inverter. The inverter controls the #electric motor and provides the connection to the high-voltage #battery . Our engineers have based the design of the electric motor and the inverter on the technology used in the passenger car segment. This not only speeded up the development phase considerably, but also helped cutting costs. In this context, the software is largely responsible for the behavior of the electric drive and can be tailored to customers’ specific requirements. The drive module will roll off the production line in Hildesheim, Germany, the Bosch lead plant for electric drives.
– E-mobility for the last mile: Bosch is starting the volume production of a new electric drive for light commercial vehicles, which will make its debut at the customer Daimler Truck AG. The compact drive module consists of an electric motor as well as an integrated #inverter. The inverter controls the electric motor and provides the connection to the high-voltage #battery. Thanks to new power #semiconductors, the new electric drive has a greater range and improved efficiency. With its flexible construction, it is also now even easier to integrate the drive module into existing and new vehicle models.
CUMMINS TO DEBUT ELECTRIFIED MERITOR POWERTRAINS FOR FIRST TIME SINCE ACQUISITION
– For the first time since finalizing the acquisition of Meritor, Inc. last month, Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) will showcase Meritor’s 17Xe ePowertrain assembled with a Cummins battery system during the IAA Transportation tradeshow in Hannover, Germany. The 17Xe is designed for heavy-duty trucks in the 4×2 and 6×2 segment, with capacity to support 44 tons of gross combined weight, or more in some applications. The assembly also features a lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery pack, a new arrival to Cummins’ battery line-up.
– Cummins is integrating Meritor’s ePowertrain with battery and fuel cell electric drivetrains to meet the growing demand for decarbonized solutions. Cummins’ market-leading suite of clean drivetrain options offers performance and packaging advantages to suit diverse applications across the globe, with significant benefits to heavy- and medium-duty truck and bus work cycles and ranges.
HOUSEBUILDERS ‘LOBBIED AGAINST PLAN FOR ELECTRIC CAR CHARGERS IN NEW HOMES IN ENGLAND’
– Britain’s biggest housebuilders privately lobbied for the government to ditch rules requiring electric car chargers to be installed in every new home in England, documents have revealed.
– The FTSE 100 construction firms Barratt Developments, Berkeley Group and Taylor Wimpey were among the companies who argued against the policy in responses to an official consultation seen by the Guardian. The “blatant lobbying efforts” were criticised by Transport & Environment, a campaign group.
– Swapping cars powered by fossil fuels for zero-emission models is viewed by scientists, environmental campaigners and the government as key to reaching net-zero carbon emissions – alongside increased public and active transport. However, the lack of chargers is seen as a barrier to uptake.
– the housebuilders who responded stated their opposition to the policy, citing cost concerns. They also warned that mandating installation could lock homeowners into obsolete technology, that there could be a risk of electric shocks with some car chargers, and even that the plan could prevent owners from choosing between cars with different plug types used in Asia and Europe.
– Taylor Wimpey warned that the installation of chargers could result in fewer homes being built.
– Berkeley Group said it did not believe chargers would be required at every parking space because people would charge at work
– The housebuilders argued that their responsibilities should end with the laying of “cable routes” into homes
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS