Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 17th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
UBER NOW OFFERS EV RIDES IN 25 CITIES
– Uber has expanded its Comfort Electric service “nationwide” to 24 US cities, letting users request rides in all-electric vehicles like the Tesla Model 3, Polestar 2 and Ford Mustang Mach-E. It also expanded to Vancouver in British Columbia, which has the highest sales rate of zero-emission vehicles in North America.
– Comfort Electric launched last May in several cities as part of the Uber Comfort service. That allows riders to request extra legroom and other high-end features for a 20-40 percent premium over Uber X trips. It’s separate from the Uber Green service, which gives drivers an extra fee for electrified vehicles. Uber Green allows both EVs and hybrids, though, while Comfort Electric is limited to EVs.
– The expansion looks like a small step in Uber’s goal of becoming a zero-emissions platform in the US and Canada by 2030. It has promised to spend $800 million to help drivers transition to all-electric vehicles by 2025. California will require ride-hailing services to be all-electric by 2030, and other states like New York also plan to ban sales of gas-burning cars.
CHINA HAS 10.99 MILLION NEW ENERGY VEHICLES RUNNING ON ROADS BY AUG. 2022
– By the end of August 2022, there have been 10.99 million new energy vehicles running on roads in China, representing a 65% leap compared to the year-ago level, according to a speech today delivered by Liu Zhao, vice-minister of China’s Ministry of Public Security (“MPS”), at the opening ceremony of the 2022 World Intelligent Connected Vehicles Conference (“WICV”).
– For the first eight months of 2022, around 3.22 million NEVs were newly registered in the world’s largest auto market, doubling over the prior-year period, said Mr. Liu.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70021293.html
CHINESE ENVOY WARNS US NOT TO CUT CHINA OUT OF EV SUPPLY CHAIN
– Chinese Ambassador Qin Gang had a message for the U.S. about its plan to establish a domestic EV supply chain: “Don’t.” Okay, so the Chinese envoy’s message was more diplomatic and detailed than that, but it was basically a warning to the U.S. against cutting China out of its EV supply chain altogether.
– Because if the U.S. goes ahead with its plan, it would end up hurting both country’s interests, as Bloomberg reports. China claims these interests are “intertwined,” and upsetting the established order of the global supply chain would damage both the U.S. and Chinese economies.
– During an interview at this year’s Detroit auto show — otherwise known as the North American International Auto Show — the ambassador went on to say:To decouple with China means to disconnect from the world’s largest market as well as the biggest opportunity, […] the industry chain has been relatively well established over past years, and there would be no winner if anybody wanted to intervene or even destroy [that.] The electric vehicle value chain, or specifically the supply chain, is very globalized.
– That’s the basis of the Inflation Reduction Act as it applies to EVs: electric cars from American companies depend on globalized supply and production, and the U.S. wants that to become localized supply and production.
– The Chinese ambassador says cutting China off will end up cutting the U.S. out of the Chinese car market, and vice versa. American carmakers like GM, Ford and Tesla could lose access to the biggest auto market in the world.
– Bloomberg reports there wasn’t a single Chinese company at the Detroit auto show.
– Compare that to the upcoming Paris Motor Show, which Chinese carmakers BYD and Great Wall Motor plan to attend, and it starts to look like China isn’t really interested in selling its EVs in the U.S.
CHINA GETS ITS OWN HUMMER EV-LIKE VEHICLE THAT CAN CRAB WALK
– China’s Dongfeng has just launched two new vehicles under its rugged Mengshi brand and even though they don’t look like the GMC Hummer EV, they were pretty clearly inspired by the same concept. The M-Terrain and M-Terrain S are currently branded as concepts, but they are expected to go on sale sometime in 2023.
– Both are very big vehicles, measuring 5.2 meters (17 feet) in length and weighing the same 3.5 tons (7,700 pounds). That’s about one foot shorter than the Hummer EV and about 600 kg (1,363 pounds) lighter, but they promise to pack a similar punch with an available quad-motor setup that would give them 1,070 horsepower, enabling a sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.2 seconds.
– According to CarNewsChina, the vehicles will go into production in 2023 for the Chinese market
– Dongfeng, which also makes an actual electric Hummer clone, says the platform that underpins both vehicles makes them very capable off-road and thanks to rear-wheel steering also makes them more maneuverable in any situation.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/609187/china-dongfeng-mengshi-m-terrain-ev/
AUDI: POPULARITY OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES IS CREATING A CHALLENGE
– Beginning in 2026, every new Audi introduces will be fully electric, and in 2033, Audi will gradually phase out the production of the last internal combustion engine models.
– And with the arrival of the Q4 e-tron models, Audi said it now offers more fully electric vehicle models in the U.S. compared with any other automaker–including Tesla
– “We don’t have enough cars in the country yet, so our biggest challenge right now is to fulfill the demand to get more cars in the country. We’ve seen some improvement in the supply chain, but it will remain challenging.”
– “The unfortunate timing is that this is coinciding right when we see this incredible growth in demand for electric vehicles,”
– “We’d love it if we could sell a lot more, but I think Audi positioned itself very well to create this demand for our product, so that’s a really big success story. I think we’re all excited about what that means for the future for the brand.”
GM TO RUN CHEVROLET ELECTRIC VEHICLE TV ADS DURING SUNDAY FOOTBALL
– General Motors will begin running what it calls an “aggressive and significant” advertising campaign of Chevrolet’s upcoming full electric vehicle lineup, including its current Bolt and Bolt EUV vehicles, as the brand looks to capture a broad consumer base and bring all of its nearly 3,000 U.S. dealerships on board to sell EVs.
– The ad campaign, called “EVs for everyone, everywhere,” will debut Sunday during the 1 p.m. NFL football game on Fox and later during NFL Sunday Night Football on NBC
– The campaign highlights the breadth of EVs that will comprise Chevy’s lineup: 2024 Silverado EV, 2024 Blazer EV and 2024 Equinox EV, all due to market next year. It will feature the already available 2023 Bolt EV and Bolt EUV to show that there is an EV for everyone at a wide ranges of prices
– Earlier this month, Chevrolet revealed the 2024 Equinox EV, a compact SUV that is expected to start at about $30,000 and compete in one of America’s bestselling vehicle segments when sales begin next fall. It will offer up to 300 miles of range on a charge in front-wheel-drive trim. The AWD models will be able to go 280 miles, according to GM estimates based on the EPA test cycle.With electric versions of the Silverado pickup and the Blazer midsize SUV also going on sale in 2023, Chevrolet will offer EVs in the country’s three biggest segments
CALIFORNIA GOV. GAVIN NEWSOM SIGNS “SWEEPING” NEW CLIMATE CHANGE MEASURES
– California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) signed “some of the nation’s most aggressive climate measures in history” to combat human-caused climate change into law on Friday.
– The legislative package “complements” the $54 billion in climate funding included in the state’s budget earlier this year, Newsom’s office said. The new laws come as the state nears the end of a harsh summer that brought record-breaking heat that tested its power grid and contributed to major wildfires.
– The laws also require the state to stop contributing carbon dioxide to the atmosphere by 2045, which will require it to slash emissions by 85%.
– California finalized a plan last month to ban the sale of gas-powered vehicles starting in 2035 as part of a major push toward electric vehicle adoption.
Original Source : https://www.axios.com/2022/09/16/california-gov-newsom-climate-measures
QUANTUM SENSORS ACCURATELY PREDICT ELECTRIC VEHICLE RANGE CAPACITY
– Scientists at the Tokyo Institute of Technology have pioneered a cutting-edge technique using diamond quantum sensors that accurately estimates electric vehicle range.
– A current drawback of some electric vehicles (EVs) is the inaccuracy of their battery charge, which can be wrong by as much as 10%. Japanese researchers now look to have innovated a groundbreaking solution to this problem, developing a diamond quantum sensor-based detection technique that can precisely quantify electric vehicle range.
– Battery currents of EVs can typically reach hundreds of amperes; however, commercial sensors that detect these currents cannot measure small changes in the current at milliampere levels. This can result in electric vehicle battery range inaccuracies of up to 10%
– To overcome these limitations, Tokyo Institute of Technology researchers have developed a diamond quantum sensor-based detection technique that can estimate electric vehicle battery charge with 99% accuracy.
– researchers tested for Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Cycle (WLTC) driving – the standard test for energy consumption in electric vehicles. The quantum sensors accurately traced the charge and discharge current from -50 A to 130 A and a battery charge estimation accuracy within 1%.
ORLEN GERMANY EXPANDS E-MOBILITY PORTFOLIO
– Orlen Germany has announced plans to expand its electromobility offering. The company will increase the number of fast charging points in its existing filling station network and build dedicated charging sites over the next few years.
– All of the brand’s e-mobility offerings will in future be marketed under the name “Orlen Charge”. The firm has allocated €100 million in investment volume to these plans. Orlen’s strategy is to respond to the rapid growth of the e-mobility market in Germany across its near 600 star and Orlen fuel retail sites.
– . The first step involves the construction of 868 fast charging points.
Original Source : https://www.petrolplaza.com/news/30845
SAIC’S NEW EV TO HELP CHINA BECOME LEADING VEHICLE EXPORT POWER
– Ships loaded with 10,000 MG4 electric vehicles left Shanghai’s Haitong port for Europe on Tuesday, marking China’s largest single shipment of EVs bound for overseas markets.
– In the fourth quarter, the hatchback is expected to be sold in around 20 major nations on the continent. By 2023, it will be available in some 80 countries around the world, said SAIC
– The MG4 EV is the first model that SAIC built using its dedicated electric platform. It was the result of SAIC’s Chinese and British teams and was developed based on new car quality standards in different countries.
– vehicle exports between January and August hit a record 1.82 million units, up 52.8 percent year-on-year, with over 340,000 being new electric vehicles.
– China will overtake Germany this year in vehicle exports as Chinese companies are at the fore of the industry’s new trends like electrification and connectivity.
– Now with the arrival of the MG4 EV, SAIC said Europe will become the first overseas market where its annual sales will reach 100,000 units this year.
DACIA MANIFESTO CONCEPT IS FEATHERWEIGHT ALL-TERRAIN BUGGY
– Dacia has previewed a whole series of new features it hopes to offer on its future models on a bold new concept car that’s set to star at next month’s Paris motor show.
– The Dacia Manifesto concept is a rugged off-road buggy, similar in size and style to the Ariel Nomad. While the two-seater is not a direct preview for any future model, it is a statement of intent of how the brand sees itself evolving, as well as a technological showcase for the brand in what it calls a “lab for ideas” – hence the Manifesto name.
– The new concept car coincides with a new brand mission for Dacia to switch from being “simple and affordable to more appealing and desirable, with cars chosen as people want them”,
– The Manifesto is also a response to Dacia’s growing appeal among those who enjoy outdoor pursuits and active lifestyles.
It has no windows, doors or even a windscreen, and Dacia claims it is excellent to drive off-road thanks to four-wheel drive, large wheels and tyres, a raised ride height and “a body built to withstand the toughest terrain”.
– The car is completely waterproof, allowing the interior to be hosed out when it gets dirty. The seat coverings are also removable, and once removed they can be used as sleeping bags.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS