Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 15th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BIDEN’S ECONOMIC PLAN DRIVES AMERICA’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANUFACTURING BOOM
– Since President Biden took office, companies have announced investments of more than $36 billion in electric vehicle manufacturing and $48 billion in batteries right here in the United States.
– Honda and LG Energy Solution announced a $4.4 billion joint venture in a to-be-announced location in the U.S.
– Ford Motor Company announced it will invest $3.7 billion in assembly plants in Michigan, Ohio and Missouri and create 6200 jobs.
– Panasonic announced a $4 billion plant in De Soto, Kansas that will create 4,000 jobs. Panasonic is also reportedly evaluating a similar investment in an additional new battery factory.
– Vinfast announced a more than $5 billion investment in building electric vehicles and batteries in North Carolina that will create 13,000 jobs.
– Hyundai announced a $5.5 billion investment to build electric vehicles and batteries near Savannah, Georgia
– Department of Energy announced a $2.5 billion loan in July 2022 to General Motors for battery manufacturing facilities in Ohio, Tennessee, and Michigan.
– Samsung SDI America is investing $3.1 billion in Kokomo, Indiana to build batteries in a joint venture with Stellantis.
– Piedmont Lithium announced a $582 million investment to establish a lithium hydroxide processing, refining, and manufacturing facility in Southeast Tennessee.
– ABB is announcing a new EV charging manufacturing facility in Columbia, South Carolina capable of producing up to 10,000 chargers per year.
– GM, in a partnership with Delta Electronics and EVgo will invest $750 million in EV charging infrastructure, including at Pilot and Flying J truck stops and gas stations.
– Lincoln Electric, a longstanding domestic manufacturer of electric equipment, announced a new line of DC fast chargers in Cleveland, Ohio on August 29th.
– the Department of Transportation issued a proposal in August that would, if finalized, require federally-funded EV chargers to be built in the United States starting in January 2023 and have more than 55% domestic content by January 2024. Unlike in the past, Build America, Buy America waivers will not foreclose American manufacturing, but send clear market signals, creating an incentive for firms to invest in America and create good jobs in our communities.
BIDEN HOPS INTO CORVETTE, DECLARES DETROIT ‘BACK’ AT EV-FOCUSED AUTO SHOW
– President Joe Biden took a victory lap on Wednesday at the Detroit auto show as he highlighted automakers’ electric-vehicle push, including billions of dollars in investments in battery plants, on the back of new government support.
– Self-declared “car guy” Biden climbed into a silver electric Cadillac SUV and an orange Corvette, glad-handed with the industry’s union workers and declared the city, the birthplace of the auto industry, was making a comeback.
– Detroit’s auto show is the largest in North America and a key stop on Democrat Biden’s stepped-up midterm election travel agenda, as he showcases new laws to fund infrastructure and give consumers grants to buy EVs.
– The president was introduced by local auto union worker Ryan Buchalski, who said the president was “kicking ass for the working class.”Advertisement · Scroll to continueBiden announced the approval of the first $900 million in U.S. funding to build EV charging stations in 35 states, part of a $1 trillion infrastructure law approved last November.
FORD ASKS DEALERS TO INVEST IN EVS AS IT CHASES TESLA-LIKE PROFIT
– Ford Motor is asking its nearly 3,000 dealers to invest upward of $1 million in upgrades to sell all-electric vehicles, as the automaker attempts to cut overhead costs and boost profits at its retailers to better align with EV-leader Tesla.
– Ford is offering its dealers the option to become “EV-certified” under one of two programs — with investments of $500,000 or $1.2 million. Dealers in the higher tier, which carries upfront costs of $900,000, will receive “elite” certification and be allocated more EVs, executives said.
– Dealers have until Oct. 31 to make a decision and until the end of the year to make the investments.
– It’s an effort to elevate Ford dealers as the company seeks to grow sales across its traditional and commercial businesses as well as EVs. Tesla and other electric vehicle startups sell directly to consumers without franchised dealers.
– Ford’s plans to sell EVs have been a point of contention since the company split off its all-electric vehicle business earlier this year into a separate division known as Model e. Farley said the automaker and its dealers needed to lower costs, increase profits, and deliver better, more consistent customer sales experiences.
– About 90% of the upfront investment costs are expected to be for installation of EV chargers, including DC fast chargers that can cost $300,000 or more, according to Gjaja. Only a few dozen of Ford’s 2,991 dealers currently have the high-speed chargers, he said.
– Aside from the investments, dealers who opt into selling EVs will need to abide by five standards to stay within good standing: clear and non-negotiable pricing; charging investment; employee training; and improved vehicle purchasing and ownership experience for customer, both digitally and in-person.
– Dealers who opt out of selling EVs this year will in 2027 have a second chance to opt in
2024 RENAULT 5 EV MULE SPOTTED FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME
– Renault is not afraid to play the history card and resurrect iconic designs from its past, and few of the automaker’s offerings are as well known around the world as the 5, known in the US as the Renault LeCar. The French automaker has now decided to revive the R5 name, as well as some of its most important design cues, and use them on its very important new electric city car.
– It certainly looks like a sporty and almost premium offering, which is where Renault may choose to position this model, since it will have other cheaper electric city cars on offer.
– The automaker still has time to develop the model since it is not expected to arrive before 2024, when it won’t actually replace the current Zoe model, and it most likely won’t be Renault’s smallest electric offering either. Rumors suggest that a hot Alpine version of the Renault 5 is planned with 215 horsepower, although still just a single motor driving the front wheels, like the standard car.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/610354/2024-renault-5-ev-mule-spy-photos/
SAIC LAUNCHES MG MULAN WITH STARTING PRICE OF $18,620 IN CHINA
– SAIC on Tuesday launched the compact crossover MG Mulan, the automaker’s electric vehicle (EV) for the global market that will be available not only to Chinese consumers but also for export to dozens of other countries.
– The EV is available in China in four options, three of which are rear-wheel drive single-motor models and one is a four-wheel drive dual-motor model.
The single-motor version of the model has an electric motor with a maximum power of 150 kW
– Its dual-motor version has a maximum power of 315 kW and a peak torque of 600 Nm and can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds.
– The MG Mulan’s battery pack was jointly developed by SAIC and CATL and is offered in two options: a lithium iron phosphate battery with a capacity of 51 kWh and a ternary lithium battery with a capacity of 64 kWh.
– The MG Mulan will be named MG4 Electric in overseas markets and will be offered in Germany in three versions priced at 31,990 euros, 35,990 euros and 37,990 euros.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/09/14/saic-launches-mg-mulan-in-china/
TEVVA FIRST SERIES PRODUCTION ELECTRIC TRUCK ROLLS OFF ASSEMBLY LINE IN BRITISH MANUFACTURING MILESTONE
– Tevva has completed the assembly of its first series production battery electric truck, the 7.5 tonne Tevva Truck, as the company reached another pivotal milestone in its journey
– The vehicle rolled off the assembly line in Tilbury, Essex
– The 7.5 tonne battery electric truck is the first in a series of commercial vehicles from Tevva, including its 7.5 & 12 tonne tonne hydrogen electric truck, as well as 19 tonne model of the dual-energy vehicle concept vehicle being unveiled at IAA Transportation next week in Hanover.
– The 7.5 tonne battery electric truck model offers a range of up to 180km (110miles)
VOLVO PARENT GEELY REVEALS 600KW EV CHARGING TECHNOLOGY
– Volvo’s parent company Geely has unveiled 600kW supercharging technology that it says can add 300km of electric vehicle driving range in just five minutes.
The unveiling follows last week’s news that Volvo-backed startup, StoreDot, revealed fast charging prototype battery technology that can add 100 miles of range in 5 minutes.
Currently, only the 01 EV from Geely’s electric-only brand Zeekr is purported to be able to charge at this speed, thanks to its use of CATL’s latest Qilin ultra-long range battery.
– In August 2022, XPeng Motors demonstrated 210 km of range being added in 5 minutes to their upcoming luxury G9 SUV. This was using their new 480 kW superchargers that are currently being deployed at new sites.
VOLKSWAGEN MAKES WAY FOR NEXT EV MODEL BY DROPPING A GAS CAR FROM LINEUP
– Volkswagen is making way for an all-electric vehicle to move into its lineup by removing a gas car from production as early as 2024.
The German automaker is reportedly preparing to eliminate the Arteon, a sedan expected to be removed from Volkswagen’s lineup in the next two to three years, a report from Automotive News suggests. The Arteon will instead be replaced by the ID. Aero, a vehicle Volkswagen is calling its “ID.family flagship.”
– Volkswagen said the ID. Aero will be sold globally but will first start in China. Volkswagen will launch the vehicle in Europe and then the United States, hopefully by the time 2023 comes to a close.
– The Arteon has been a vehicle that hasn’t been a strong point of VW’s gas-powered sedan lineup. According to Kelley Blue Book, the vehicle sat alongside the more popular Passat,
– The ID. Aero, upon its release, will be Volkswagen’s third all-electric vehicle on the ID. platform that will be available for sale in the United States. The ID.4, which has been toward the top of crossover EV sales globally, will be followed by the reincarnation of the VW microbus in the form of the ID. Buzz. The ID. Aero will follow.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen-ev-model-replaces-gas-arteon/
OPEL TO REINTRODUCE GSE SUB-BRAND FOR DYNAMIC MODELS
– pel is reviving and redefining GSe as a new range-topping sub-brand. Unlike in the past when the label was the abbreviation of “Grand Sport Einspritzung” (Grand Sport Injection) as on the Commodore GS/E and the Monza GSE, it will have a new meaning going forward.
– In future, the label GSe will not only signify dynamic, fun to drive cars but also stand for ‘Grand Sport electric’
– GSe line-up will be “Autobahn proof” thanks to extensive testing on German motorways.
– Every Opel model will be electrified by 2024, and the customer already has the choice between 12 electrified models today, from plug-in hybrids such as the Grandland and the Astra to all-electric battery-electric vehicles from the Corsa-e small car to the Zafira-e Life “lounge on wheels”, and from the Combo-e Cargo to the Movano-e van.
TESLA MEGAPACK UPDATE ADDS INTERESTING SPECS
– Tesla has updated the Megapack and managed to squeeze a lot more energy in a single battery system for large-scale energy storage projects.
– Tesla has recently updated its Megapack configurator (hat tip to u/space_s3x) to now list 3.9 MWh capacity. That’s about 50% more energy capacity in a single Megapack, but the battery system is now 6-ft longer and 60% heavier at 83,996 lbs.
– Earlier this year, Tesla updated Megapack pricing., which changes depending on how many Megapacks you order, but for a single-pack project, Tesla was charging $1,537,910.
Now with the updated bigger Megapack, Tesla has increased the price to $2,414,070 for a project with a single Megapack.
– On a per kWh basis, Tesla went from $591 to $622 with the bigger Megapack that has more energy capacity.
The price goes down considerably for a bigger project. For example, a 10-Megapack project costs $19,235,700. With 38.5 MWh of capacity, the price per kWh goes down to $500.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/09/14/tesla-megapack-update-specs-price/
TERAWATT, A BUILDER OF COMMERCIAL EV CHARGING HUBS, RAISES MORE THAN $1 BILLION IN FUNDING
– TeraWatt Infrastructure designs, operates and owns charging centers for commercial EV fleets
– Now the company has raised more than $1 billion of institutional capital from investors including Vision Ridge Partners, Keyframe Capital and Cyrus Capital.
– TeraWatt’s strategy is to acquire properties in strategic locations for truck fleets, and to develop the energy and charging infrastructure necessary to operate at scale. TeraWatt’s Charging Centers are designed to offer reservable space and high charging power levels at optimal locations.
UFODRIVE OPENS IN FRANKFURT AIRPORT – RENTAL OPERATIONS
– UFODrive, an emobility provider in Europe, announces opening a new ‘UFOBay’ at Frankfurt Airport’s Terminal 1. Customers can rent one of the company’s EVs anytime via an app.
– Frankfurt Airport is the company’s first major international airport hub location in Germany and third location overall in the country, with existing locations in Hamburg and Berlin. The company’s vehicles are equipped with a CCS system, which means that they can charge at any charge point across Germany with pre-paid cards, providing free charging for customers.
– UFODrive’s fleet of EVs are available in nine countries and 21 locations globally, with further expansion planned for the U.S. and Europe this year. Earlier this year, the company received a $19 million Series A financing round, co-led by Hertz and Certares, in partnership with Knighthead Capital Management, with participation from existing investors.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS