Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 14th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
GERMANY: PLUG-IN CAR SALES RETURNED TO GROWTH IN AUGUST 2022
– Good news comes from Germany, where car sales rebounded a bit after several months of decline.
– Plug-in electric cars also returned to growth after five months in the red. Last month, 56,725 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in Germany, which is 6% more than a year ago. The market share increased slightly to 28.5%
– Both all-electric and plug-in hybrid car sales are up, although for PHEVs it’s just under 1% (after 10 consecutive months of decline), while BEVs maintain a double-digit result.
– So far this year, more than 415,000 new passenger plug-in cars were registered in Germany: BEVs: 228,084 – up 12% at 13.9% market share PHEVs: 187,311 – down 14% at 11.4% market share
– The top all-electric models year-to-date: Fiat 500 electric – 14,975 Tesla Model Y – 12,709 Tesla Model 3 – 12,023 Volkswagen ID.4/ID.5 – 10,229 Hyundai Kona Electric – 9,577 Opel Corsa-e – 8,978 Volkswagen ID.3 – 8,956 BMW i3 – 8,039 Skoda Enyaq iV – 7,701 Volkswagen e-up! – 7,700 Audi e-tron – 7,384 Hyundai Ioniq 5 – 7,220 Renault ZOE – 7,145 MINI Cooper SE – 7,098
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/609965/germany-plugin-car-sales-august2022/
2023 PEUGEOT E-308 REVEALED WITH 250 MILES OF RANGE AND 154 BHP
– Peugeot is living up to the promise it made a while back about launching a purely electric 308 by introducing the compact car without a combustion engine. The E-308 rides on the same platform as the ICE model and therefore largely carries over the design inside and out.
– the Peugeot E-308 relies on a new-generation battery with a usable capacity of 51 kWh. Operating at 400 volts, the battery has a new chemical composition with 80 percent nickel, 10 percent manganese, and 10 percent cobalt. Fully charged, it has enough juice for more than 400 kilometres (nearly 250 miles) of range in the WLTP cycle.
– Peugeot has added a “Brake” driving mode that accentuates deceleration when the driver releases the accelerator pedal to enhance energy recovery. Charging from the maximum supported 100 kW, it’ll take less than 25 minutes to go from 20 to 80 percent.
– Available in hatchback and wagon body styles, the E-308 uses a newly developed electric motor producing 154 bhp
– Peugeot claims the E-308 SW is the first electric wagon from a European manufacturer.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/609931/2023-peugeot-e-308-reveal/
HONDA PLANS TO INTRODUCE 10 OR MORE ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES
– Honda Motor Co plans to launch more than ten electric motorcycle models globally in the next three years, claimed the Japanese auto major on Tuesday. The automaker claimed that it aims to ramp up the sales of electric motorcycles in an attempt to achieve carbon neutrality for motorcycles by the 2040s.
– he motorcycle giant that dominates the global market has been facing challenges in shifting to electric. Motorcycles are wildly popular in developing countries, where consumers are price sensitive. Honda claims that the shift to electric means the vehicles will become heavier, and prices will increase substantially. This will eventually raise the barrier to entry for developing market consumers.
– Honda also said in a statement that it aims to sell one million electric motorcycles every year within the next five years. The automaker also plans to sell 3.5 million electric motorcycles every year by 2030, which means around 15 per cent of its total sales.
ZERO DSR/X LAUNCHED AS LONG-RANGE ELECTRIC ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLE
– Zero Motorcycles has just unveiled its latest electric motorcycle, the Zero DSR/X. The new electric adventure bike builds upon the same platform used in the SR/F and SR/S, but with some major updates designed to make this the company’s most capable electric motorcycle yet.
– The announcement comes as part of the release of Zero’s 2023 model year lineup, where the headliner is certainly the company’s newest bike.
– The DSR/X takes the same basic platform from the SR/F and SR/S, stretches and reinforces it, then increases the battery capacity and motor torque among a number of other small tweaks.
– In order to avoid moving to chain drive, Zero increased the Gates belt width from 20mm to 25mm and used a higher strength core, resulting in a belt drive that was over twice as strong as on the SR/F and SR/S. The drive also makes use of Gates’ Mudport technology, which helps clear debris from the belt pulley and is critical for off-road riding.
– The Z-Force 17.3 kWh battery offers a city range of 180 miles (290 km) and a highway range of 85 miles (137 km).
– Charging is accomplished by a 6.6 kW onboard Level 2 AC charger that can refill the battery from 0-80% in just two hours. Upgrading to the higher power charger option will cut that charge time in half to just one hour on a Level 2 charger.
NEW ATTACK CAN UNLOCK AND START A TESLA MODEL Y IN SECONDS, SAY RESEARCHERS
– elaborate challenge system that protects its cars from conventional methods for attacking the remote unlock system. But now, one researcher has discovered a sophisticated relay attack that would allow someone with physical access to a Tesla Model Y to unlock and steal it in a matter of seconds.
– One thief needs to be near the car and the other near the car owner, who has an NFC keycard or mobile phone with a Tesla virtual key in their pocket or purse.
– attackers can steal a Tesla Model Y as long as they can position themselves within about two inches of the owner’s NFC card or mobile phone with a Tesla virtual key on it — for example, while in someone’s pocket or purse as they walk down the street, stand in line at Starbucks, or sit at a restaurant.
– Until last year, drivers who used the NFC card to unlock their Tesla had to place the NFC card on the console between the front seats in order to shift it into gear and drive. But a software update last year eliminated that additional step. Now, drivers can operate the car just by stepping on the brake pedal within two minutes after unlocking the car.
– The attack Rodriguez devised can be prevented if car owners enable the PIN-to-drive function
– “To fix this issue is really hard without changing the hardware of the car — in this case the NFC reader and software that’s in the vehicle,”
COST OF MAKING A TESLA DOWN 57% FROM 2017
– The cost of making a Tesla car is now $36,000, down markedly from $84,000 in 2017, said Martin Viecha, Tesla’s vice president of investor relations, at a Goldman Sachs tech conference
– The cost savings, according to the company, did not come from cheaper battery prices but from better vehicle design, which simplified manufacturing, and new factory design.
– As new factories ramp up, they should be able to make cars for less than $36,000, which should boost Tesla’s profitability
Tesla Exec Lays Out Next 5 Years at Invite-Only Conference
– Tesla executive Martin Viecha just took investors through the company’s next 5 years, explaining which trends and metrics matter most
– He said the industry will ultimately grow as fast as battery supply. This will impact areas such as the building of cells and battery packs, but also battery design and the mining and refining of lithium, nickel and other raw materials.
– During 120 years of the automotive industry, he argued there’s only been 2 major revolutions in manufacturing. One was the Ford Model T and the other was Toyota’s cheaper production approach in the 1970s, he explained. “EV architecture is so different from internal combustion engine, it allows for a third revolution in automotive manufacturing,” Viecha said.
ONE GEMINI ARCHITECTURE WILL USE ANODE-FREE CELLS TO REACH 600 MILES OF RANGE
– The Our Next Energy (ONE) founder later disclosed that its Gemini architecture would be hybrid, with LFP cells and NMC cells with more manganese. This is not the only difference they have compared to normal NMC cells: they are also anode-free and have an energy density of 1,007 Wh/l.
– If you have no idea what that energy density means, it is almost twice as much as regular NMC batteries present nowadays, with around 580 Wh/l. Being anode-free usually means that the cells work with lithium metal. In other words, the lithium-ions cross the separator and turn into a lithium layer that plays the role of the anode. When the battery is charged, this lithium goes back to the cathode. ONE did not confirm if that was the case.
– According to the battery startup, anode-free batteries usually don’t last long, which makes them unsuitable for automotive use. That’s because lithium metal batteries have a massive problem with dendrites.
– For now, ONE just revealed the energy density of these new cells and that they are 240A prismatic units that will be installed in a BMW iX by the end of the year.
CHARGED EVS | CIRCONTROL SUPPLIES 400 KW CHARGING STATIONS TO NEW MADRID CHARGING HUB
– Spanish EV charger manufacturer Circontrol has launched its first 400 kW DC fast charger, the Raption 400. The company will install several of these at a new urban charging hub in the center of Madrid. As far as we’re aware, 350 kW chargers are the highest-power car chargers in widespread use, so this would appear to be something of a milestone.
– The new Canalejas 360 charging hub, located in an indoor car park near the Plaza de Canalejas, consists of twelve DC fast chargers: four 400 kW units; four 200 kW machines; and four 50 kW rigs. It was recently inaugurated in a ceremony attended by the Mayor of Madrid and other dignitaries.
– In 2021, Circontrol launched several new fast charging products: the eVolve Rapid range, the Raption 150 Compact, and the Raption 350 HPC. The company also offers a “fast multi-charging system,” which provides centralized power in order to reduce installation costs.
US, MEXICO TO COOPERATE ON SEMICONDUCTORS, ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Mexico and the United States plan to take advantage of the Biden administration’s massive investment in semiconductor production to push the integration of their supply chains and cooperate on expanding the production of electric vehicles through Mexico’s nationalized lithium industry, officials from both countries said Monday
– Both efforts seek to eat into Asia’s advantage in semiconductors and batteries needed for electric vehicles and promote North American production.
– The dialogue, which was launched by then-Vice President Biden in 2013, resumed last year in Washington after stopping during the Trump administration.
– The global shortage of semiconductors has slashed into production of autos, household appliances and other goods, fueling high inflation. Biden appeared at the future site of a massive Intel plant in Ohio on Friday.
THOMAS ULBRICH TO TAKE OVER ‘NEW MOBILITY’ DEPARTMENT AT VW
– The core brand VW Passenger Cars is reorganising its board departments. The future fields of electromobility and digitalisation are to be combined in the ‘New Mobility’ department – under the leadership of the current board member for development, Thomas Ulbrich.
– Ulbrich is to take care of both the ID. models and the Trinity project, which is important for VW as a technical flagship. In addition, as the new board member for ‘New Mobility’, Ulbrich is to ensure close cooperation between the Cariad software division and the development division of the VW passenger car brand, according to the report.
– Ulbrich will relinquish responsibility for overall development, including the combustion engine and hybrid models, and concentrate – once again – on the brand’s electric models. Ulbrich was previously VW brand board member for electric mobility, which at the time referred to the development of the first ID. models and their production in Zwickau. When the board came to the conclusion that electromobility was the “new normal”, the special board department was eliminated and integrated into the existing structures for development and production.
– the problems with the Cariad software unit have taken on greater proportions than was known for a long time – even model launches such as the electric Porsche Macan are said to have been postponed due to a lack of finished software. With the development of the unit cell, the comprehensive SSP electric platform and digitalisation including autonomous driving functions, further complex projects are in the pipeline.
MAGNA INVESTS $77M IN YULU; CREATES BATTERY-SWAPPING SERVICE COMPANY
– Magna is expanding into the fast-growing micromobility market by investing $77 million in Yulu, India’s largest electrified shared mobility provider, and creating a battery-swapping service company.
– Yulu deploys shareable, low-speed, electric two-wheelers to facilitate accessible, sustainable urban mobility in India.
– Magna will serve as the exclusive battery-swapping provider for Yulu’s customers and manage the future buildup of the infrastructure required for millions of swaps per week.
– The company currently has approximately 10,000 electric powered two-wheelers in service and operations in Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai. Yulu is targeting an additional 15 cities in the next 18 months, with potential to expand beyond India in the future.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/09/20220913-yulu.html
PRODUCTION AT PROPOSED GIGAFACTORY PUT ON HOLD UNTIL 2025 – NEWS – THE CHEMICAL ENGINEER
– BRITISHVOLT, a startup which says it intends to “create a world-class battery cell ecosystem” and help build a domestic electric car industry at its £3.8bn (US$4.4bn) “gigafactory” in Northumbria, will now not deliver batteries for another three years due to soaring energy costs, its co-founder has said.
– Set up just three years ago on the site of an old coal-power plant in Blyth, BritishVolt has won backing from mining company Glencore, Ashtead, and Scorpio Group. It has also received a rumoured £100m from the UK Government through its Automotive Transformation Fund (ATF) which helped secure a long-term partnership and £1.7bn in private fundin
– Once up and running, the plant will produce enough cells for more than 300,000 electric vehicle battery packs per year
– Both Aston Martin and Lotus have forged strategic partnerships with BritishVolt, but so far no final supply agreements with any carmakers have been made.
– But, according to The Guardian, leaked internal documents suggest that the situation is far from straightforward as the plant has been put on “life support” to cut spending. “Work on BritishVolt’s 95-ha site near Blyth…has been severely limited until February to minimise spending as it focuses on unlocking its next round of funding and critical power supply infrastructure,” the newspaper said.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS