Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 12th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
2022 PARIS AUTO SHOW: RENAULT 4 ELECTRIC CAR TO DEBUT
– Renault plans a full slate of launches and product reveals at this year’s Paris auto show, led by the Renault 4 concept, a retro-inspired small full-electric vehicle that will go into production by 2025.
– The Renault 4 will be a “reinterpretation” of the original model, a rugged five-door hatchback that was in continuous production from the 1960s to the early 1990s, the automaker said Friday in a news release.
– The car — potentially named the 4ever — is likely to go into production as a small SUV, a companion model to the coming Renault 5 small EV hatchback, which also draws on the original model.
– Alpine plans three full-electric models – including a small “hot hatch” related to the Renault 5 and an SUV.
– In addition to Renault Group, brands that have committed to appear include Stellantis brands DS, Jeep and Peugeot, and the new Chinese entrants Great Wall and BYD.
– It runs Oct. 17-23.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/paris-auto-show/2022-paris-auto-show-renault-4-electric-car-debut
SVOLT BUILDS ADDITIONAL BATTERY CELL FACTORY IN BRANDENBURG, GERMANY FOR EUROPEAN MARKET
– Lauchhammer in Brandenburg is the second announced SVOLT production site for battery cells in Germany.
– The Lauchhammer site is available at short notice as a so-called brownfield project. Vestas, a manufacturer of wind turbines, had only recently ceased production of rotor blades there. SVOLT has taken over the plant including buildings and infrastructure from the previous owner at the end of August
– SVOLT is steadily expanding its global network of production sites as well as research and development locations. Battery factories are currently being established around the globe that will be among the most modern and sustainable in the world.
China’s SVOLT picks same German state as Tesla for second battery cell plant
– The planned site in Lauchhammer would have a capacity of 16 gigawatt hours (GWh) per year
– SVOLT in 2020 announced investments of up to 2 billion euros ($2.01 billion) to build a cell production facility as well as a module and pack factory in the south-western German state of Saarland with a planned production capacity of 24 GWh.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/chinas-svolt-picks-same-german-state-tesla-second-battery-cell-plant-2022-09-09/
LIMITED BATTERY SUPPLY FORCES GM TO CUT HUMMER EV PRODUCTION TO BUILD MORE CADILLAC LYRIQS
– GMC Hummer EV production was throttled to allow the building of more Cadillac Lyriq electric crossovers.
– Both EVs use GM’s Ultium technology, which includes the Ultium li-ion cells and the Ultium drive units. GMC Hummer production started in October 2021 but was slow to ramp.
– According to GM Authority, the GMC Hummer production was slowly rising to a maximum of 400 units in May 2022. From there, it was severely slashed to only 50 units in July. At the same time, Cadillac Lyriq production started in March.
– It appears that GM chose to build more Cadillacs instead of GM Hummer EVs. This leads us to believe that GM makes more money selling the Cadillac Lyriq (although it has a smaller price) than it makes on the GMC Hummer EV.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/limited-battery-supply-forces-gm-to-cut-hummer-ev-production-to-build-more-cadillac-lyriqs-198342.html
NISSAN STARTS EUROPEAN PRODUCTION OF ALL-NEW, FULLY ELECTRIC TOWNSTAR
– Nissan announced the start of production of its all-new and 100% electric Townstar EV model to be sold across select European markets.
– The Townstar EV builds on the success of the e-NV200.
– Built on a shared CMF-C platform, the new vehicle will be manufactured at the Alliance centre of excellence for small vans in Maubeuge, France.
– the Townstar EV’s 45kWh battery can accept AC charging (11 kW or 22 kW) or DC quick charging (CCS format). The latter of which enables users to charge the battery from 15% to 80% in as little as 37 minutes.
Original Source : https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-e11d37d8bc8e9480bf881865af056600-nissan-starts-european-production-of-all-new-fully-electric-townstar
TESLA TO BUILD A 164-STALL SUPERCHARGER IN CALIFORNIA
– Tesla will build a 164-stall Supercharger station in California, the largest known to date. The project will include stalls that will offer charging for electric vehicles of all brands.
– As EV adoption has grown, new legislation and funding has been proposed, and one such funding program is the California Energy Commission’s Clean Transportation Program Rural Electric Vehicle Charging. Its main goal is to improve access to charging in underserved rural communities in California. One of the conditions for successful receipt of the grant was the presence of at least 50% of the connectors that meet the CCS standard.
– Tesla submitted four applications and received the maximum funding for all of them. Tesla projects have been approved for expansion and three of four locations will break the record for the world’s largest Supercharger station.
– The new site will be in Coalinga, which is already home to the 98-stall station at Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant. According to the documents, Tesla has planned 164 stalls there
Original Source : https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-is-going-to-build-a-164-stall-supercharger-the-largest-known-to-date
HYUNDAI EXEC: IONIQ 5 N WILL BE “MUCH FASTER” THAN I30 N
– The Ioniq 5 N will launch in 2023 and will be by far the most powerful car Hyundai has ever made.
– Hyundai executive and former head of the N performance division, Albert Biermann
– when asked about an exact power figure Biermann remained coy: “It’s not finalized, it could be 580, 600, 620 horsepower [427kW, 441kW, 456kW]. It’s a lot.”
– Mr. Biermann also mentioned how handling and driver enjoyment are more important than 0-60 times and power output. Furthermore, he talked about artificial noises and their importance in enthusiast EVs. “Faster doesn’t matter. It’s about grin, heartbeat. The question is how much fun is it? How big is your grin? When I joined the company we talked a lot about cutting noise, now we talk about adding sound to electric cars to give the driver a nice feeling, some excitement. As for the ‘popcorn’ sounds, it is hard to mimic a dynamic explosion in a combustion system using only audio speakers inside the cabin. Sound is important, of course, but it’s not the whole game.”
– The Ioniq 5 N should have very similar specs to the chassis-sharing Kia EV6 GT. This means AWD, a 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds and around 580 hp.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/609604/hyundai-ioniq-n-much-faster/
AUDI PREPS RS Q E-TRON E2 FOR MOROCCO AND DAKAR
– Audi is getting ready for the next big events of 2023, and this means a redesigned prototype of the range-extended EV.
– The RS Q e-tron E2, as it is known, is getting ready for the 2022 Morocco Rally as well as the 2023 Dakar Rally
– The range-extended EV will once again be powered by a high-voltage battery, with energy produced by internal combustion engine and a generator, with two motors at each axle. But this time, Audi will tackle the issue of short-term surpluses of power in instances where the wheels left the ground as the vehicle jumped or drove over uneven terrain. In 2022, the FIA penalized Audi in these instances at the threshold of 2 kilojoules of excess energy.
– Audi will actually turn down the air conditioning system even though the RS Q e-tron E2 will face uncomfortable temperatures once again in Morocco and Saudi Arabia. But that’s only because during the previous season, the the air conditioning system was working so aggressively that it could cause the coolant to freeze when running at maximum output.
Original Source : https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a41117688/audi-rs-q-e-tron-e2-electric-rally-morocco-dakar/
WORLD PREMIERE OF NEXT GENERATION FUSO ECANTER TAKES PLACE IN JAPAN
– The world launch of the Next Generation eCanter – produced by Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation – has taken place in Japan. Significantly, the new truck now comes with a modular battery concept, meaning a variety of ranges are up for grabs.
– Operators can choose between one, two or three batteries. The eCanter with one battery with a rated capacity of 41 kWh can drive approximately 80 km on one charge. eCanters with two batteries can be driven for approximately 140 km, and those with three can complete around 200 km.
– An eAxle has been adopted in the Next Generation eCanter, integrating the motor with the rear axle and allowing for a more compact drivetrain structure. In addition to the current 7.5-tonne GVM model, the new vehicle comes in weight classes ranging from 5 to 8 tonnes for Japanese customers, and starts from a 4 tonne truck for overseas models
Original Source : https://fleet.ie/world-premiere-of-next-generation-fuso-ecanter-takes-place-in-japan/
COMMERCIAL EV STARTUP HARBINGER CLAIMS IT CAN ERASE THE UP-FRONT COST PREMIUM VS. GAS OR DIESEL
– There’s a new commercial EV startup on the block. It’s called Harbinger, and claims to have an EV platform for medium-duty trucks that will erase the up-front cost premium over current gasoline and diesel trucks.
The platform incorporates an “eAxle” that combines the motor, gearbox, and inverter in one unit, a modular battery pack, and streamlined chassis architecture, Harbinger said in a press release.
– The liquid-cooled battery pack is scalable in 35-kilowatt-hour increments, and includes an 800-volt electrical architecture that allows for “one-hour DC fast-charging capability,” according to Harbinger. The startup claims the powertrain is designed for a 20-year, 450,000-mile operating lifespan.
– The chassis incorporates steer-by-wire and brake-by-wire systems, as well as independent front suspension that reduces the front overhang, improving driver visibility and the vehicle’s maneuverability, the startup claims. These components also contribute to a fairly low floor height of 28 inches.
MOROCCO TO SCALE UP ELECTRIC CAR PRODUCTION OVER NEXT TWO YEARS
– Morocco is set to double its production of electric cars in the course of the upcoming two years, according to the Moroccan minister for trade and industry.
– The country’s electric car production is set to reach 100,000 units annually in the span of two to three years, double the current production input
– Car manufacturing is the second-largest exporting sector in the North African country.
– Transitioning into electric car production is emerging as a necessity to remain competitive in the future international market.
– The country is currently working to reach an annual car production target of 1 million units. In addition, Morocco plans to boost the national production of car parts to limit its dependence on imported car parts. Morocco is presenting itself as a promising destination for electric car manufacturers, given its vast reserves of cobalt, a key component in the manufacturing of electric car batteries.
Original Source : https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2022/09/351254/morocco-to-scale-up-electric-car-production-over-next-two-years
V2X SUISSE PROJECT LAUNCHES WITH V2G-READY HONDA E CARS
– The previously announced V2X Suisse pilot project just got the go-ahead in Bern. Over one year, seven companies, including Honda, will investigate how shared electric cars may increase grid stability and close electricity gaps across Switzerland.
– Car-sharing company Mobility is in the lead and is providing 50 Honda E cars at 40 locations across Switzerland. The partners say this is the first test that includes stations in rural and urban areas.
– In terms of technology, EVTEC has supplied DC wall boxes with 10 kW power, offered under Honda with a ‘PowerManager’ label. EVTEC also developed a new column with two CCS plugs at 10 kW for the project. If only one charging point is in use, an EV can bidirectionally charge there with up to 20 kW.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/09/07/v2x-suisse-project-launches-with-v2g-ready-honda-e-cars/
SAN FRANCISCO PASSES ORDINANCE FAST-TRACKING NEW EV CHARGING STATIONS
– The San Francisco Board of Supervisors amended the city planning code this week to make installing new electric vehicle charging stations easier. The ordinance, sponsored by Mayor London Breed and six supervisors, was passed unanimously at the Tuesday board meeting in efforts to expedite the expansion of public EV charging stations.
– But as EV charging stations are not explicitly mentioned in the city’s planning code, the Planning Department and EV service providers were using policies meant for gas stations and auto service centers to approve charging stations on a case-by-case basis.
– An estimated 47 percent of San Francisco’s greenhouse gas emissions come from transportation, with private vehicles making up a vast majority of that number, according to the city’s latest greenhouse gas emission inventory.
– The ordinance mentioned building “fast-charging plazas” in the city to meet demand, which would “mimic the gas station experience” that most drivers are familiar with. It suggests a correlation between more public charging stations and higher EV adoption rates.
– With EV charging locations now listed under the “automotive retail” land-use category, gas stations and parking lots can now be converted into charging plazas.
Original Source : https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/san-francisco-ev-charging-stations-ordinance/
PENNSYLVANIA GIVES MILLIONS TO BOOST EV ADOPTION
– Pennsylvania is aiming to give a boost to electric vehicles with a wave of new funding.
The Wolf Administration is putting $3.4 million toward building electric vehicle charging stations across the state.
The money, awarded through the Driving PA Forward program, comes from a 2018 settlement related to the Volkswagen emissions scandal.
– Grants will be used to install 54 fast chargers in 12 counties
– The projects, which will be built mainly in travel plazas along high-traffic areas, will help create electric vehicle corridors across the state, meaning charging stations will be available every 50 miles.
Original Source : https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2022/09/12/pennsylvania-gives-millions-to-boost-ev-adoption/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS