Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 11th September, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BMW TO USE ROUND BATTERY CELLS FROM 2025
– BMW Group to use innovative round BMW battery cells in NEUE KLASSE from 2025
BMW is to launch a new era of e-mobility from 2025 with the models of its NEUE KLASSE – using newly-developed round battery cells optimised for the new architecture for the first time.
“The newly-developed sixth generation of our lithium-ion cells will bring a huge leap in technology that will increase energy density by more than 20 percent, improve charging speed by up to 30 percent and enhance range by up to 30 percent. To meet our long-term needs, we will be building battery cell factories with our partners, each with an annual capacity of up to 20 GWh, at six locations in key markets for us: two in China, two in Europe and two in USMCA,”
– Based on current market assumptions, costs can be reduced by up to 50 percent, compared to the current fifth generation. The BMW Group has set itself the goal of bringing manufacturing costs for fully-electric models down to the same level as vehicles with state-of-the-art combustion-engine technology.
The new BMW round cells come with a standard diameter of 46 millimetres and two different heights. Compared to the prismatic cells of the fifth BMW battery cell generation, the nickel content in the sixth-generation BMW round cells is higher on the cathode side, while the cobalt content is reduced. On the anode side, the silicon content will be increased. As a result, the cell’s volumetric energy density will improve by more than 20 percent.
The battery, drive train and charging technology in the NEUE KLASSE will also have a higher voltage of 800 volts. Among other things, this will optimise how energy is supplied to direct current high-power charging stations, which can achieve a much higher charging capacity with a current of up to 500 amperes – thus reducing the time it takes to charge the vehicle from 10 to 80 percent by up to 30 percent.
Original Source : https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/united-kingdom/article/detail/T0403568EN_GB/more-performance-co2-reduced-production-significantly-lower-costs:-bmw-group-to-use-innovative-round-bmw-battery-cells-in-neue-klasse-from-2025
BMW CONFIRMS USE OF ROUND-BATTERY CELLS FOR NEW CLASS
– Eve Energy announced that it would create a 50 GWh factory in Chengdu at the time but did not specify which cell format. Eve Energy already has the appropriate knowledge for the cells, as the company is the production partner for the extremely fast-charging 4680 cells of the Israeli battery developer StoreDot.
– Samsung SDI has also announced plans for a production plant for 46XX cells with heights between 40 and 60 millimetres. Whether the South Korean company are the third partner in the alliance and where precisely the plants of all BMW suppliers will be built cannot be said with certainty without official statements so far.
NIO SO FAR DEPLOYS OVER 1,100 BATTERY SWAP STATIONS
– IO announced on Sept. 10 it had so far deployed 1,103 battery swap stations across China, of which the significant 1,100th one was launched on the same day.
– Aside from the battery swapping facility, NIO’s power replenishment network in China has also encompassed 1,004 supercharging stations, 5,367 superchargers, 877 destination charging stations, and 5,470 destination charging piles.
– As of Sept. 10, 2022, NIO’s users have conducted more than 12 million battery swaps cumulatively, said the startup. Currently, more than 30,000 battery swaps can be fulfilled at NIO Power Swap stations per day.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/new_energy/70021241.html
TESLA GIGAFACTORY NEVADA OUTPUT REVEALED
– Tesla has revealed the output Powerwall, Megapacks, vehicle motors, and batteries of Gigafactory Nevada as new leadership is taking over the factory.
– Chris Lister, vice president of Gigafactory operations, was in charge of operations at Gigafactory Nevada, but he left Tesla this summer.
– Now Hrushikesh “Hrushi” Sagar, senior director of vehicle operations and manufacturing engineering, is taking over his responsibilities, along with leading Fremont Factory, and held a meeting with Gigafactory Nevada employees this week to discuss the direction of the plant.
– CNBC obtained a recording of the meeting during which the leadership shared some rare data about Tesla’s output at the factory.
- Gigafactory Nevada produced 283,473 drivetrains during the second quarter of 2022.
- the factory needs to maintain “a steady output of 8,800 high voltage battery packs per week” just to feed Fremont
- a capacity to produce 42 giant Megapack per week
- it produced 37,600 Powerwalls in the second quarter, but it is now capable of producing over 6,500 Powerwalls per week
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/09/09/tesla-gigafactory-nevada-output-revealed/
TESLA IS TRYING TO SHAVE $5,000 OFF ITS MODEL Y BATTERY COSTS
– You may recall that the EV maker purchased Maxwell Technologies in 2019 with the goal of improving its in-house battery tech. Maxwell developed what’s called a dry-coat process for manufacturing battery electrodes that could help Tesla eliminate several steps that its current wet-coat process requires. The result would be battery manufacturing that’s cheaper, faster, and has less of a negative environmental impact, explained the Reuters article. Between the dry-coat process and increasing the size of its battery cells, Tesla believes it can reduce the cost of a Model Y battery pack to between $5,000 to $5,500 — nearly half of the cost of the prior version of the Model Y battery pack.
– The dry-coat process appears to only be applicable for the 4680 packs. And while the Model Y is the only Tesla model that’s currently using the larger battery packs, they could eventually be used in other Tesla vehicles as well.
TESLA EVALUATING LITHIUM REFINERY IN TEXAS FOR ELECTRIC CAR BATTERIES
– Tesla is evaluating the feasibility of a lithium hydroxide refining facility on the gulf coast of Texas.
– Tesla said the plant would be focused on the development of “battery-grade lithium hydroxide” and be “the first of its kind in North America,” according to a letter to the Texas Comptroller’s Office.
– If Tesla’s application is approved, construction could begin in the fourth quarter of 2022, the company said. The project will reach “commercial operations” by the fourth quarter of 2024.
– The price of lithium is up 120% this year, according to an tracking index from Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.
– Tesla’s move is also likely a bid to diversify the supply of its lithium and battery production. China controls more than half of the world’s lithium processing and refining, and the United States just 1%.
CATL, BYD CONTINUE TO DOMINATE CHINA’S POWER BATTERY MARKET IN AUGUST
– CATL and BYD continued to dominate the lion’s share of China’s power battery installed base in August, although both of their shares declined from July.
– China’s power battery installed base in August was 27.8 GWh, up 121.0 percent year-on-year and 14.7 percent from July, according to data released Friday by the China Automotive Battery Innovation Alliance
– CATL continued to rank first with 12.99 GWh of installed base, or a 46.79 percent share. BYD remained in second place with 6.08 GWh, or 21.91 percent share.
CITROËN IMPROVES SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY ON AMI
– Citroën has introduced the ‘My Ami Play’ tool to Ami 100% ëlectric to improve smartphone connectivity onboard the revolutionary urban mobility solution.
– Already, Citroën Ami customers can connect their phone to Ami via the DAT@AMI dongle, allowing them to access key vehicle information, such as charge level, via the My Citroën app. Now, through ‘My Ami Play’ and ‘Citroën Switch’, owners can access more features such as navigation or internet radio, and make calls via Bluetooth®, with the smartphone doubling as an infotainment screen.
– ‘Citroën Switch’ is a new steering wheel control unit that connects to the smartphone via Bluetooth®, with drivers able to access their phone through the steering wheel without taking their eyes off the road. The driver has the choice of positioning the ‘Citroën Switch’ wherever they choose on the steering wheel or throughout the cabin, to ensure ease of use. The smartphone can be placed in the holder on the dashboard which then functions as Ami’s infotainment screen.
FLAGSHIP SWEDE EMBRACES THE ELECTRIC ERA FOR NEW XC90
– Recent patent filings have unearthed Volvo’s next XC90 flagship SUV, and it appears the large Swede will embrace the electron revolution with open arms. Reports suggest it will carry either the EXC90 or Embla name and be sold alongside a facelifted version of the XC90, as there’s still strong demand for hybrid models in North America and China.
– There’s no mistaking its EV fundamentals, with a suggestive grille panel flanked by a pair of Thor’s Hammer headlamps and corner vent inlays. From the side, it looks like a stretched XC60 wearing Polestar sheet metal with finely tailored shoulder lines and crisp fenders.
– The interior dimensions of the large three-row crossover will grow, reflecting its new EV-based underpinnings. Curiously, the interior’s patent images included below also depict a horizontally themed dashboard with a huge portrait-style infotainment screen, but they don’t show any instrument cluster ahead of the driver. Instead, critical driver information could come from a steering column-mounted display or an augmented-reality head-up display system.
– Powering the third generation EXC90 will be single and dual-motor options, with anticipated output in the 400-455 hp ballpark. Electron storage will likely come in the form of a 100kWh lithium-ion battery pack tethered with an 800-volt architecture, enabling competitive DC fast-charging and a driving range of over 372 miles (600 km).
– Reports indicate that the large crossover will ride upon the automaker’s Scalable Product Architecture (SPA2) that underpins the upcoming Polestar 3. It will also embed Nvidia Drive-powered autonomous driver-assist capabilities with the inclusion of LiDAR technology in tandem with highly advanced sensors.
NEW ARIEL HIPERCAR REVEALED
– the Ariel Hipercar has been launched officially in all its 1180bhp glory. Hipercar stands for HIgh PERformance CArbon Reduction and now Ariel is able to share more detail of its first EV that has required close collaboration with a number of British based companies, including Cosworth.
– A compact road car, it will weigh from 1445kg, is powered by four 295bhp motors fitted to each wheel, will have an EV range of 150 miles and the option of a range-extender in the shape of a catalytic generator, a compact micro-turbine running on whatever fuel is appropriate/acceptable
– It’s quite the challenge for Ariel, which each year makes around 25 motorbikes and 100 Atoms and Nomads, cars with the bare minimum of features. Yet behind the scenes Ariel has been working on Hipercar since 2014.
– Ariel had to commit to a system and chose 800V, which was a big gamble as no one was at that level.
– Its chassis is a bonded aluminium tub, laser cut and CNC folded with removable front and rear subframes, which incorporate billet machined and anodised aluminium interfaces. Within this sits the sealed 62.2kWh lithium ion battery pack, itself wrapped in a ‘HyLight’ multi-material battery casing.
– A liquid cooling system has been patented to manage the Hipercar’s battery temperature during track use. The system feeds refrigerated – or heated – water-glycol coolant directly to every cell pack, monitored by sensors.
Original Source : https://www.evo.co.uk/ariel/205185/new-ariel-hipercar-revealed
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS