Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 29th August, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
RIVIAN R1S CUSTOMER DELIVERIES ARE NOW UNDERWAY
– The first non-employee Rivian R1S deliveries reportedly took place earlier this week. The hotly anticipated SUV has been in production for several months now, with Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe taking delivery of his way back in December. However, until now only Rivian employees had taken delivery of the vehicle.
– The above R1S was delivered to Rivian Forum member ‘Fletch’, who is based in Pennsylvania. They wrote the following about their first day in the R1S:
– “Having never driven an EV before this afternoon, I’d describe it this way: driving it is like being in a video game that got the physics wrong. The acceleration feels like it shouldn’t be possible (especially in such a big, heavy thing). I put about 100 miles on it after delivery today (delivered with 11 miles on the odometer), on back roads and highways and everything in between.”
– The Rivian R1S currently starts at $78,000. This means the base version will just about meet the new threshold for the $7,500 tax credit, which will come into effect in January.
– Rivian delivered 5,694 vehicles in the first half of 2022. The automaker drastically ramped up production in the first few months of the year and claims it is still on track to deliver 25,000 vehicles in 2022.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/606843/rivian-r1s-customer-deliveries/
GENESIS PRICES ELECTRIFIED G80 AT $80,920, EXPANDS EV AVAILABILITY TO MORE STATES
– Hyundai’s Genesis luxury brand has announced that the Electrified G80 luxury sedan for the U.S. market will start at $80,920 and be offered in a single, very well-equipped configuration.
– The Electrified G80 isn’t a hybrid, as some might suspect from the badge; it’s a fully electric version of the gasoline G80 sedan. It comes with dual 136-kw motors—one each at the front and rear wheels. Its 87.2-kwh battery pack is packaged under the passenger floor. That enables an estimated EPA range of 282 miles, Genesis has said, although this hasn’t yet been confirmed on the EPA’s official site. A heat pump and battery heater should help owners get close to that number year-round.
– The Electrified G80 is the second electric vehicle in the Genesis lineup, and it joins the smaller Genesis GV60 crossover that’s built on the E-GMP modular platform shared with the Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, and other upcoming models.
– The Electrified G80 can take advantage of 800-volt DC fast-charging, and with a 350-kw connector it can charge from 10% to 80% in as little as 22 minutes, according to Genesis. It also includes three years of 30-minute charging sessions at Electrify America stations. Otherwise, its 10.9-kw onboard charger will allow a full charge overnight, and a Vehicle to Load (V2L) function will output up to 3.6 kw to power tools or appliances in a pinch.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1136967_genesis-electrified-g80-price-expands-ev-availability-more-states
THE MARKET IS NOT READY FOR MASS ADOPTION OF EVS, SAYS TOYOTA EXECUTIVE
– Electric vehicles may be witnessing surging demand from consumers in recent times, but a chance of mass adoption of electric vehicles is still not there, believes Toyota Motor North America’s executive vice president Jack Hollis. He believes that there simply isn’t enough consumer demand for the mass adoption of electric vehicles in the United States.
– Hollis said that the market, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, is not ready yet. Also, the price points for electric vehicles are pretty high at present, which is another issue. “I don’t think the market is ready. I don’t think the infrastructure is ready. And even if you were ready to purchase one, and if you could afford it, they’re still too high,” he added.
– Electric vehicles accounted for 5.2 per cent of total new vehicle sales in the first half of 2022, registering a dramatic growth from 2.5 per cent in 2021. The US administration has a goal of 50 per cent of new vehicle sales in the US being for EVs by 2030, which Hollis think is not achievable. “It took 25 years to get to less than 10 per cent (market share) for hybrid — which is affordable, which is done with resources that are available,” he explained.
Original Source : https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/electric-vehicles/the-market-is-not-ready-for-mass-adoption-of-evs-says-toyota-executive-41661668392505.html
HONDA, LG ENERGY SOLUTION TO BUILD $4.4 BILLION BATTERY PLANT IN U.S.
– Honda Motor and LG Energy Solution said Monday they plan to invest $4.4 billion to build a new battery production plant for electric vehicles in the U.S.The announcement marks the latest plans by automakers to invest in American production of battery cells for electric vehicles, as the industry works to to meet stricter regulations and accelerate production of such zero-emissions cars and trucks. Others have included General Motors, Ford Motor, Rivian Automotive and Hyundai Motor.
– Honda and LG Energy said their plant is expected to begin mass production of advanced lithium-ion battery cells by the end of 2025. The facility will be built and operated by a joint venture between the companies, which is expected to be established this year.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/29/honda-lg-energy-solution-to-build-4point4-billion-battery-plant-in-us.html
HONDA’S EV BATTERY PLANT IN U.S. LIKELY WOULDN’T HAPPEN WITHOUT NEW CLIMATE CREDITS
– While Honda is committed to building EVs in North America, it would not be surprising if the just passed Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) played a big role in Honda and LGES inking their battery deal sooner rather than later.
– The IRA, in addition to federal tax credits for the purchase of EVs, also includes incentives for manufacturers to build batteries in the US. The IRA provides $35 per kilowatt hour (KWh) in tax credits to manufacturers for each US-produced battery.
– “The biggest benefit [from the IRA] isn’t actually the EV consumer credits, it’s the $35 per kilowatt hour support for battery production in the country,” Ford (F) CEO Jim Farley said in an interview with Yahoo! Finance during Pebble Beach car week. “We’re bringing the battery production [back here], we could easily have done that in Mexico or some other place, and now there’s a huge financial incentive… It’s a big deal.”
– The amount of money could be staggering. Ford’s new battery plants, located in Kentucky, will produce around 86 gigawatt hours (GWh) annually by 2025. That would equate to slightly over $3 billion in tax credits for Ford, per year.
– Looking at Honda and LGES’s financial incentives, the joint venture has a goal of 40 GWh of annual capacity, which would equate to around $1.4 billion in tax credits alone per year, likely split by both companies.
Original Source : https://money.yahoo.com/hondas-ev-battery-plant-in-us-likely-wouldnt-happen-without-new-climate-credits-164602421.html
FRANCE PREPARES SUBSIDISED ELECTRIC-CAR LEASING PLAN AT $100 PER MONTH | BUSINESS STANDARD NEWS
– France is readying a plan to subsidise electric-car leasing as part of President Emmanuel Macron’s campaign pledge to make them more affordable.
– The scheme will make EVs available for 100 euros ($100) a month
– Macron promised a state-sponsored leasing program for low-income households to counter criticism that even with subsidies, EVs are still out of reach for many.
– The French government offers subsidies of as much as 6,000 euros for the purchase of EVs costing less than 47,000 euros, with possible additional aid under a cash-for-clunkers program for old combustion-engine vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/france-prepares-subsidised-electric-car-leasing-plan-at-100-per-month-122082800942_1.html
ELON MUSK CHECKS ON TESLA GIGA BERLIN PROGRESS DURING A SHORT VISIT
– On Monday evening, Tesla CEO Elon Musk arrived in Germany after speaking at the ONS 2022 Energy Conference in Norway. It was an unofficial visit, and according to local media, Musk was checking the factory and its ability to ramp up production. It was also reported that meetings with representatives of the federal or state government were not scheduled in advance.
– The last time Musk visited the plant was at the end of March 2022, during the grand opening ceremony. About five months have passed since then, and the factory has achieved good results despite delays in ramping up production due to the COVID-19 lockdown in China. At the end of June, Giga Berlin reached a production capacity of 1,000 Model Ys per week and has since increased production significantly. According to unofficial data, the factory will soon reach a production capacity of 2,000 Model Ys per week.
Original Source : https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/elon-musk-checks-out-giga-berlin-progress-during-a-short-visit
WATCH MARRY BARRA SKILLFULLY DODGE QUESTION ABOUT CHALLENGING TESLA OR LEADING IN EVS – AUTOEVOLUTION
– Mary Barra was recently interviewed by Fox Business anchor Liz Claman about EV production and tackling the supply chain. Asked whether she still stands by her pledge to “lead in EVs” by mid-decade, Barra dodged the question. Instead, she said that GM would have “a million units in North America alone” by that time.
– “You were confident enough in January to throw down the gauntlet and say by 2025 we are going to take over Tesla, we are going to beat them at their game and overtake the number one position, does that still stand?” asked Claman during The Claman Countdown show.
– The only answer she got from Barra was nonsense talk about GM’s “strong portfolio,” the “strength of our brands,” and “our ability from a manufacturing perspective.” The only sure thing Barra stated was that “by 2025, we’ll have a million units in North America alone.” This is similar to a slide in GM’s Q2 earnings deck, without specifying how this would help GM become the EV leader.
– Tesla already has 900,000 units of installed capacity in North America as of Q2 2022. This will likely be further boosted by the end of the year after Giga Texas ramps production. And let’s not forget that North America is only half of Tesla’s business.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/watch-marry-barra-skillfully-dodge-question-about-challenging-tesla-or-leading-in-evs-197205.html
CATL PLANS TO LAUNCH CONDENSED MATTER BATTERIES IN 2023 – CNEVPOST
– CATL plans to launch condensed matter batteries, its next generation of battery cells, in 2023, the company’s chief scientist Wu Kai said today at the World New Energy Vehicle Congress.
– Condensed cells have features including high safety, reliability and good cycle life, Wu said, without going into further detail.
On June 25, Robin Zeng, founder and chairman of CATL, said at the Chongqing auto show that in addition to solid-state and semi-solid-state batteries, the company is developing coalescent batteries that people have not heard of.
– condensed battery cells would be a CATL innovation in battery chemistry, although little information is currently available.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/08/28/catl-plans-to-launch-condensed-matter-batteries-in-2023/
NIO ET7 PROTOTYPES SPOTTED TESTING IN POLAND
– This week we found in our inbox photos of two, camouflaged NIO ET7 prototypes, spotted in Szczecin, Poland.
– It’s interesting because Poland has not been mentioned among the initial launch markets for NIO’s flagship, which is coming to Europe in Q4. Maybe it’s just a routine visit to double-check the charging infrastructure in countries nearby to the initial markets, or perhaps NIO is already thinking about a broader expansion?
– Besides Germany, sales are expected to start this year also in Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden. In Norway, NIO already offers the older ES8 model but on a limited scale. According to the official data, about 800 units were registered since July 2021.
– NIO ET7 specs (China, October 2021): 70 kWh battery – more than 500 km (311 miles) of NEDC range 100 kWh battery – more than 700 km (435 miles) of NEDC range 150 kWh battery option in the future will get more than 1,000 km (620 miles) of NEDC range 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.9 seconds dual motor all-wheel drive
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/606825/nio-et7-prototypes-spotted-poland/
THE RISE OF COMMUNITY CHARGING: HOW EV PLUG-SHARING IS HELPING SOOTHE THE COST OF LIVING | EURONEWS
– A growing number of electric vehicle (EV) owners are opting to rent and let charging plugs in an attempt to beat price rises and bring in a bit of extra income.
– While not increasing as much as rapid charging, charging your EV on a public charger or at home has also become more expensive.However, the AA motoring group says that charging EVs from lampposts is 46 per cent cheaper than on-road rapid charging points.
– For a small charge, EV users can use their ‘neighbours’’ charger for a cheaper overall price.One such company is JustPark. In the three months to May, the company saw a 77 per cent increase in the number of community charging bookings it received.
– As well as saving money on taxes and lower costs when using home chargers, users can also programme their chargers to only activate when electricity prices are at their lowest.Graeme Cooper, the National Grid’s head of future markets, says that technology has enabled EV owners with busy lives to outsource worries about when to charge their vehicles and democratised EV ownership.
– Community charging is also helping people to make the switch to EVs even if they don’t have a driveway or a nearby public charging point. Instead, people can connect with nearby users to find regular access to a host charger.
Original Source : https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/08/28/the-rise-of-community-charging-how-ev-plug-sharing-is-helping-soothe-the-cost-of-living
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC UNIVERSE – GLOBAL PUBLIC CHARGING MADE SIMPLE WITH ONE APP AND ONE MAP.
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS