Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 16th August, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
NETHERLANDS: SKODA ENYAQ IV TOPS PLUG-IN CAR SALES CHART IN JULY 2022
– Passenger car sales in the Netherlands continue to decrease. In July, the number of new registrations decreased by 18% year-over-year. It seems that only all-electric cars are still able to maintain some positive results, as plug-in hybrids are also in the red.
– last month 6,766 new plug-ins were registered, which is roughly 1% more than a year ago. The tiny increase is a result of two trends – expanding BEVs (up by 13% year-over-year) and shrinking PHEVs (down 19%).
– Overall, plug-in cars accounted for some 31% of the market (including 22% for BEVs). New plug-in car registrations: BEVs: 4,759 and 22% share PHEVs: 2,007 and 9% share Total: 6,766 and 31% share
– Top 10 last month: Skoda Enyaq iV – 539 Kia EV6 – 366 Citroën e-C4 – 312 Hyundai Ioniq 5 – 262 Peugeot e-208 – 260
– Top 10 year-to-date: Skoda Enyaq iV – 3,249 Lynk & Co 01 PHEV – 2,484 Peugeot e-208 – 2,221 Volvo XC40 PHEV (est.) – 2,004 Kia Niro EV (e-Niro) – 1,936 Kia EV6 – 1,830 Audi Q4 e-tron – 1,646 Citroën e-C4 – 1,481 Fiat 500 electric – 1,430 Peugeot e-2008 – 1,121
NEW ALL-ELECTRIC MAXUS T90EV PICK-UP GOES ON SALE IN UK | AUTO EXPRESS
– While the pick-up truck market has been slow to adopt pure-electric powertrains, there will be a sudden influx from manufacturers in the coming years from the likes of Ford, Volkswagen and potentially Tesla, but beating them all to the punch in the UK is the Maxus T90EV from China.The T90EV is now available to order from £49,950 excluding VAT and first deliveries of the should commence in the first quarter of 2023. Chinese company, SAIC Motor, owns Maxus and the firm has been steadily building a reputation in the UK with its van models.
– For the electric version the T90EV removes all of the standard truck’s running gear and replaces it with an 88.5kWh battery that’s located under the chassis. Power comes from a rear-mounted 201bhp electric motor, meaning the T90EV is rear-wheel drive. The low-slung battery under the chassis means ground clearance will be limited, so off-road driving – and wading especially – might be a challenge.
– Charging time for the T90EV is 45 mins if you want to go from 20 to 80 per cent using its maximum 80kW charge speed. Maxus says the maximum range is 220 miles.
IS CHINESE ELECTRIC CAR WHIZ KID NIO ABOUT TO OPEN A FACTORY IN THE U.S.A.? – SUPCHINA
– Shanghai-based electric car brand NIO 蔚来汽车 is recruiting manufacturing-related staff in the United States
– The move has raised a flurry of speculation that NIO intends to open a factory in America, but the company has offered no further disclosure. NIO laid out the desired skills and experience that candidates should possess in job descriptions that mention experience in blueprint planning, design of original equipment manufacturing facilities, auto manufacturing in industrial parks, as well as knowledge of different American state policies on electric vehicles (EVs), design standards, and approval processes.
– the plant reportedly will assemble cars from either completely knocked down (CKD) or semi-knocked down (SKD) kits; i.e., the components will be delivered in parts, or partially put together in parts. The kits will presumably be manufactured in China.
– In 2021, the company began selling vehicles in Norway. In February this year, CEO William Li (李斌 Lǐ Bīn) announced that NIO will be providing services in over 25 countries and regions by 2025. The huge screen behind him displayed a world map with several regions highlighted, including North America.
– NIO already has a presence on the West Coast of the United States, with 153 employees working in product and software development, 47 employees working in general administration, and five employees working in manufacturing in North America as of 2021, as per the annual report of the firm.
NIO’S ET7 ELECTRIC SEDAN IS ON ITS WAY TO EUROPE · TECHNODE
– Nio began shipping the first batch of its ET7 models to Europe on Monday, with the vehicles expected to go on sale later this year in Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. The Chinese electric vehicle maker has handed over 9,385 units of its first production sedan to domestic customers as of July since delivery began in late March. The model’s price starts at RMB 458,000 ($66,734), and the model is intended to compete with BMW’s 5 Series sedans. The company entered the European market late last year by selling its first sports utility vehicle model, the ES8, in Norway through a direct-sales store and online channels.
– NIO ET7 set sail in Europe, and will be open for booking and delivery in Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, providing more European users with a complete service system and enjoying a pleasant lifestyle.
Original Source : https://m.weibo.cn/status/4805216622611633
XPENG SHOWS OFF ULTRA-FAST CHARGING CAPABLE OF ADDING 210 KM RANGE IN 5 MINUTES – DRIVE TESLA
– XPeng just put their G9 SUV up for pre-sale, but the company is now showing off one of the fastest chargers on the planet. As per CnEVPost, the company had a small presentation outlining the new S4 supercharger and plans for deployment.
– The supercharger has a peak power rate of 400 kW, with a maximum power rate of 480 kW.
– At the same time, it can deliver a maximum current of 670 amps.
These numbers mean that the S4 charger can provide 210 km range in just 5 minutes.
– As per XPeng CEO He Xiaopeng, the plan for the company is to ensure all of their vehicles can take advantage of the new S4 supercharger.
Including the G9 SUV and refresh models.
– The company also announced that the first S4 ultra-fast charger was already up and running.
This brings the total number of XPeng chargers to 1,000, covering 337 cities in China.
EVGO ORDERS 1,000 ULTRA-FAST CHARGING FROM DELTA ELECTRONICS
– EVgo announced a new supply agreement with Delta Electronics, which will become a strategic partner related to DC fast charging equipment. According to the company, Delta will supply EVgo with 1,000 ultra-fast chargers (power output of up to 350 kW), which is expected to mitigate supply chain risk and support fast charging deployment targets in the US.
– It’s a quite substantial deal considering that as of the end of the second quarter, EVgo network had more than 850 charging sites (and a few thousand chargers), located in over 60 metropolitan areas across more than 30 states. At the time, the network had roughly 444,000 customer accounts.
– Delta Electronics is a Taiwanese electronics manufacturing company, engaged in the EV charging business for more than a decade. During that time, Delta chargers gained a reputation for high reliability, which is a good sign for the project.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/604358/evgo-1000-fast-charging-delta/
MAHINDRA AND VOLKSWAGEN EXPLORE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE
– Mahindra today showcased their new electric SUV family at the Mahindra Born EV vision unveil event in Banbury, United Kingdom. The electric SUVs will be launched on the all new INGLO platform architecture and envisaged to be equipped with MEB components including the electric drivetrain, the battery system and Volkswagen’s unified cell. The Term Sheet covers all major commercial and technical terms along with a path to the potential localization of the battery system. The final supply agreement will be negotiated in a continued constructive and legally compliant way by the end of 2022.
– Regarding the next step towards a possible strategic alliance for India, both companies agree to explore further potential areas of collaboration in the field of e-mobility, including vehicle projects, the localization of battery cell manufacturing and charging and energy solutions for the electric ecosystem in India.
EVERY LITTLE HELPS: TESCO GOES ELECTRIC WITH RENAULT TRUCKS | TRUCKING
– Tesco’s latest fleet additions are electric with Renault Trucks suppling an 18-tonne E-Tech D Wide.
The truck is Tesco’s first electric model at that payload, thereby adding to the supermarket’s green credentials.
In addition, the company is set to welcome more zero-emission trucks in the coming weeks.
For now, though, the E-Tech D-Wide EV will be delivering to more than 400 Greater London Stores from its Dagenham base.
– The 18-tonner features many elements that need to be powered by the truck’s batteries.
– The unit has been built to Tesco’s specification, which includes a rear shutter door and 1500kg column tail lift.
Powered by 265kWh, 600V lithium-ion batteries the truck delivers maximum power of 496hp peak.
MG MOTOR OPENS FOR PRE-ORDERS OF THE MG4 – ELECTRIVE.COM
– Pre-orders for the MG4 Electric are now open across Europe. According to the manufacturer, the first 1,000 reservations of the MG4 Electric that lead to binding purchases are guaranteed to be delivered before the end of 2022.
– At the end of June, the SAIC brand gave more details about its MG4 Electric compact electric car for European markets, and a few days ago also the first prices for Great Britain. There, the MG4 starts at 25,995 pounds, which currently equals about 30,800 euros. The variant with the 64 kWh battery costs at least 28,495 pounds (33,860 euros).
– In the current announcement, the company does announce that the car can be reserved and that the first 1,000 units will be delivered this year, as mentioned. However, the press release does not state exactly when and at what price binding orders will be possible. At least, the product page offers a choice between the two battery variants and the seven paint colours. So it seems that MG will launch the MG4 in several variants right from the start and not just a launch model with fixed batteries and paint finishes.
DARTZ FREZE FROGGY BEACHSTAR IS TINY EV CONVERTIBLE | AUTOCAR
– Latvian firm Dartz has unveiled a convertible version of the Freze Nikrob city car – which it claims to be the “cheapest EV in the EU” – dubbed the Freze Froggy Beachstar.
– It also takes on a blockier silhouette than the Nikrob, with more angular bumpers and a reworked front end featuring a new quadruple-headlight design.
– Effectively a rebodied version of Chinese company Wuling’s Hongguang Mini EV Cabrio, the Froggy is expected to be offered with a 27bhp electric motor enabling a top speed of 62mph – much greater than the Citroën Ami’s 28mph limit.
– The Hongguang Mini EV Cabrio has a range of 105 miles, but the removal of the rear seats from the Nikrob – which is based on the regular Hongguang Mini EV – means additional batteries can be added to the boot to boost range.
– Dartz has targeted the Froggy Beachstar at the premium market, aiming to “make the cheapest EV in the EU market visually affordable for tycoons”. As such, it’s expected to be significantly costlier than the €13,000 (£10,986) Nikrob.
– Dartz has also confirmed a targa-top version – yet to be named – and a buggy version dubbed the Freze Mojo EV.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGE S.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS