Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 15th August, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
OLA’S ELECTRIC CAR COULD ARRIVE ON AUGUST 15
– Ola Electric is expected to unveil its first electric car at 2PM on August 15, CEO Bhavish Aggarwal has hinted to.
– Ola is planning to launch an electric car in India soon. Ola Electric CEO Bhavish Aggarwal has been sharing teaser videos of the company’s upcoming electric vehicle via his official Twitter account. In one of such posts on the micro-blogging platform, Aggarwal wrote that the company would make an important announcement at 2PM on August 15, 2022. Accompanying the post is a short video that shows a red-coloured car.
– In a separate teaser video earlier this week, the Ola Electric CEO wrote — “Can’t wait to share all the stuff we’ve been working on this year! See you at 2pm on 15th August!!,” hinting towards the launch of a new electric vehicle.
Original Source : https://www.bgr.in/automobile/olas-electric-car-could-arrive-on-august-15-hints-ceo-bhavish-aggarwal-1310002/
SUZUKI’S FIRST ELECTRIC SUV COULD BE BASED ON A TOYOTA – DRIVE
– Japanese small-car specialist Suzuki has reaffirmed its commitment to launching its first high-volume electric car by 2025, which could share its key ingredients with a future Toyota electric small SUV.
– While Suzuki has already announced the timeline for its move into electric vehicles (EVs), the company has now committed to a ¥150 billion ($AU1.6B) investment into an EV manufacturing facility in India within three years. Details of Suzuki’s first EV are yet to be announced, however the company previewed a future model in the form of a battery-powered concept in early 2020, called the Futuro-E – which shares at least some resemblance to a recent Toyota concept, which could be badged BZ3X in production.
– While some overseas reports have suggested Suzuki will adopt a version of the Toyota BZ4X/Subaru Solterra twins, Suzuki’s Futuro-E concept’s smaller dimensions, sloping roofline, and distinctive C-shaped LED headlight theme appear to be similar to a future Toyota ‘BZ3X’.
Original Source : https://www.drive.com.au/news/suzukis-first-electric-suv-could-be-based-on-the-toyota-bz3x/
BRABUS MERCEDES EQS 450 PUMPS UP RANGE, NOT POWER | AUTOBLOG
– he German tuner whipped up a new body kit for the battery-electric Mercedes-Benz EQS 450 focusing on range instead of power. The sedan’s stock 355 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque don’t change. Brabus said the range estimates of 380 to 457 miles on the European WLTP cycle are improved by up to 7% at speeds between 60 and 87 miles per hour, though. Given a lengthy highway run, that could mean a healthy extension to between 407 and 489 miles of range.
– The extra distance, courtesy of a coefficient of drag reduced by the same percentage, makes the EQS about as slippery as the GM EV1 and Volkswagen XL1 on the Autobahn.
– The improvements come via a bodykit including a new front spoiler and new side intakes, wind deflectors on the wheel arches, a new decklid spoiler, and a reshaped rear diffuser. Brabus engineers also programmed the sedan’s air suspension to drop 0.6 inch in front and 0.8 inch in back, and bolted on a set of Brabus’ 22-inch Monoblok wheels wrapped in 255/35 tires ahead and 295/30 tires in back.
– Brabus charges €173,890 ($178,378 U.S.) for its version
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/14/brabus-mercedes-eqs-450-range/
CHINESE AUTOMAKERS SET SIGHTS ON GERMAN MARKET – CHINADAILY.COM.CN
– Great Wall Motors said last week it will start to deliver vehicles in the European country in the fourth quarter this year.
One is a plug-in hybrid under its premium brand Wey and the other is an electric sedan under the Ora marque, said the carmaker.
– The company entered into a strategic partnership last week with Emil Frey, the largest car dealer group in Europe, to help distribute vehicles, beginning in Germany.
– Wolfgang Kopplin, a member of Emil Frey Group’s management team, told reporters that he was impressed by the technical maturity and quality of GWM’s products when the two companies first discussed the possibility of cooperation in early 2020.
– New York-listed Chinese electric vehicle startup Nio is expanding its presence in Germany later this year as well. It entered the European market in 2021, with Norway as its first stop.
The startup is building a power product plant in Hungary, which is expected to be operational in September, to help facilitate its expansion in Europe.
– The plant, covering an area of about 10,000 square meters, will serve as a production, service and R&D center for Nio’s power products including battery-swapping stations in Europe.
– Data from Berlin-based Schmidt Automotive Research shows that 16 percent of the 1.2 million EVs sold in Western Europe in 2021 were imported from China.
It expects the number of Chinese brands selling EVs in Europe to reach double digits this year alone.
Original Source : http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202208/15/WS62f9a1c6a310fd2b29e72278.html
THE SIX CHINESE ELECTRIC CARS THAT WILL SHAKE UP THE FRENCH MARKET – OI CANADIAN
– Technologically competitive, cheaper, truly ambitious… Chinese electric cars are coming. Chinese manufacturers have been worrying the industry for years, they are suddenly here. We have selected six cars that will mark the French market.
– The Ora Funky Cat, from the Great Wall group, which we came across in Norway, is a 100% electric city car that adopts a retro design with soft lines on the outside and two large googly eyes with matrix LED technology as headlights. It is a very serious alternative to the Peugeot e-208, the Renault Zoé or even the future MG4.
– In March 2022, Xpeng (Xiaopeng Motors) opened its first orders for its P5 sedan in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands. It will have a very short lifespan, XPeng is finally counting on the P7 to break into Europe.
– The new XPeng P7 is a Chinese sedan designed to attract customers interested in the Tesla Model 3. Although the P7 is, in reality, halfway between the Model 3 and the Model S. But considering the prices, it is an adversary for the Model 3.
– MG is already very present in France, and the latest announcement is the MG4. The MG 4 (MG MG4) has opened its order book, it is the very first model in the range to be based on the new MSP (Modular Scalable Platform) platform developed by SAIC.
– The Chinese compact starts with a 51 kWh battery, allowing it to travel 350 km according to the WLTP cycle, according to the manufacturer, while the power is displayed at 170 horsepower. A 2ᵉ version will also be offered, with a 65 kWh battery offering a range of 450 km for a power of 204 horsepower. It then rivals the 220 version of the Mégane E-Tech, with its 60 kWh battery.
– Same approach as many new car manufacturers, Nio has decided to land in Norway to market the ET7 sedan and the ES8 SUV. Note that Nio is often talked about. The Chinese brand offers the exchange of batteries in a few minutes in dedicated stations.
– The ET7 is in a way the standard bearer of the brand in Europe, since it is a large electric sedan which is positioned as a rival of the famous Tesla Model S.
– AIWAYS U6
Finally, let’s finish with the category that sells best in France: an SUV. This is not the Aiways U5, which is already available, but the U6. It is an SUV with a coupe profile, with a 160 kW front engine, and three battery capacities: 63, 72 and 88 kWh. With estimated autonomy, in the CLTC cycle, between 450 and 600 km (WLTP).
– Then there is BYD (“Build your Dreams”), currently the largest electric car manufacturer in the world. It could start with the recently unveiled BYD Seal, an electric car in the format of the Tesla Model 3 and with a range of around 500 kilometers.
– It is an electric sedan which obviously aims to compete head-on with the Tesla Model 3, which currently remains the best-selling trendy model in Europe.
Original Source : https://oicanadian.com/the-six-chinese-electric-cars-that-will-shake-up-the-french-market/
CATL BUILDING EUR 7.3 BLN FACTORY IN DEBRECEN – BBJ
– Mercedes-Benz Group AG will join China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL) in building a battery factory in Debrecen with an investment of EUR 7.3 billion (USD 7.6 billion), according to Bloomberg.
– The plant will have capacity of 100 gigawatt hours, enough to power more than 1 million cars, and will run on renewable energy, according to CATL, the world’s largest electric vehicle battery producer.
In Debrecen (225 km east of Budapest), the facility will be in close proximity to customers BMW AG, Stellantis NV and Volkswagen AG, CATL said.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade state secretary Levente Magyar said the plant built on the 21-hectare site would create around 9,000 jobs.
Original Source : https://bbj.hu/business/industry/manufacturing/catl-building-eur-7-3-bln-factory-in-debrecen
MERCEDES-BENZ EXPANDS BATTERY SUPPLY PARTNERSHIP WITH CATL: NEW PRODUCTION SITE IN HUNGARY
– Mercedes-Benz is taking another step to scale up development and production of next-generation high-performance battery cells and modules on its path to an all-electric future. The new CATL plant in Debrecen, Hungary will supply battery cells for European production sites in Germany and Hungary.
– The new factory in Hungary expands a partnership between Mercedes-Benz and CATL which was first announced in August 2020 and marks the next milestone in a local-for-local purchasing strategy. Mercedes-Benz has chosen CATL, a global leader of new energy innovative technologies, to expand its global procurement of battery cells, as the world’s most valuable luxury automotive brand plans to build more than 200 Gigawatt Hours in battery capacity by the end of the decade.
– The plant will provide battery cells for the next generation Mercedes-Benz models. The Stuttgart-based luxury car maker with the three-pointed star is thereby enforcing its “Electric Only” strategy with advanced, CO₂ neutrally produced battery cells, modules and systems supplied by CATL. For the first time, the CO₂ neutral battery cell production for the latest Mercedes-Benz models was audited and certified by third party companies DEKRA and SGS. In line with this strategy, the new CATL plant in Hungary will also produce battery cells for Mercedes-Benz CO₂ neutrally.
– Mercedes-Benz relies on a modular, highly standardised battery kit that allows the integration of battery cells and modules from different development partners through uniformly designed components and interfaces. CATL will provide these battery cells for the EV production at the European production sites of Mercedes-Benz in Germany and Hungary.
Original Source : https://group.mercedes-benz.com/innovation/digitalisation/industry-4-0/article-2.html
AUDI’S ULTRA-FAST ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS GO LIVE IN SA
– The first 150kW DC ultra-fast charging stations for electric vehicles (EV) have gone live in SA.Installed by Audi in partnership with GridCars, they are the most powerful charge points in the country and will enable EVs to be charged to about 340km of driving range in about 30 minutes.
– They are available to all South African EV drivers, regardless of model or brand ownership. These publicly accessible charging stations can be located on the GridCars live online map.
– The four ultra-fast chargers are part of an installation of 33 new EV chargers across the country by Audi SA and GridCars. The other chargers range in capacity from 22kW (AC) to 80kW (DC).
Original Source : https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/life/motoring/2022-08-15-audis-ultra-fast-electric-vehicle-chargers-go-live-in-sa/
UP, UP AND AWAY: EVEN HOT AIR BALLOONS ARE GOING ELECTRIC | MOVE ELECTRIC
– If the idea of floating around the sky in a hot air balloon entirely at the mercy of the wind doesn’t appeal, then FlyDoo’s steerable balloon with electrically powered propeller could be the answer.
Chiefly for use at low altitudes, the propeller and motor are attached to the side of the balloon basket where they provide low-speed manoeuvring such as circling or steering assistance during a descent. Owing to the high drag and poor aerodynamics of a balloon, what FlyDoo calls the Vectored Thust Unit (VTU) cannot be used for cruising.
– “It is purely for manoeuvring but offers balloonists a new level of freedom,” says Leandro Corradini, founder and CEO of FlyDoo.
– Corradini also set out to give balloonists greater freedom of manoeuvrability, which is how he came to design the VTU. Based around a 10kW brushless electric motor manufactured by Rotex Electric, it features a 140cm composite propeller and including the battery and attachments, weighs 25kg. Its safe flying speed is 10kph.
Original Source : https://www.moveelectric.com/e-world/and-away-even-hot-air-balloons-are-going-electric
87 MPH INMOTION V13 CHALLENGER ELECTRIC UNICYCLE LAUNCHED
– The InMotion V13 Challenger electric unicycle has just been unveiled, touting its maximum speed as the “fastest in the world” among other leading high-power electric unicycles.
– The electric unicycle market is an often overlooked niche of the larger world of micromobility vehicles.
These personal electric vehicles are designed to offer fast and stable electric transportation while remaining convenient to carry along or store at the rider’s destination instead of locking outdoors like a bicycle.
– The InMotion V13 Challenger is the latest in a long line of increasingly powerful electric unicycles from InMotion. The powerful motor requires a large capacity battery, and the V13 delivers with a 3,024 Wh battery pack.
The V13 operates with an extremely high system voltage of 126V. That higher operating voltage helps it achieve its 4,500W (6 hp) power output. And believe it or not, that’s just the continuous power rating. The peak power output is a mind-melting 10,000W (13.3 hp).
– All of that power doesn’t come cheap though, with the InMotion V13 expected to retail for $4,600. Pre-order customers can enjoy a hefty discount, dropping the price to $3,999.
Oh yeah, and speaking of hefty – this is a porky wheel at 50 kg (110 lb). Don’t expect to single arm carry this one very far.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/08/14/inmotion-unveils-fastest-in-the-world-87-mph-v13-challenger-electric-unicycle/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGE S.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS