Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 5th July, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BYD SURPASSES TESLA TO RANK TOP IN GLOBAL EV SALES IN H1
– Chinese electric vehicle (EV) maker BYD sold 641,400 new energy vehicles in the first half of 2022, up 315% year-on-year, according to the company’s report released on June 3. BYD continues to maintain its leading position in the domestic EV market, and has surpassed Tesla to become the leading EV company by sales.
– According to Tesla’s production and delivery report for the second quarter of 2022, the U.S. EV maker delivered 564,000 vehicles globally in the first half of this year, an increase of 46% compared with 386,200 vehicles in the first half of 2021.
– BYD previously revealed in its investor conference call that its sales target of new energy vehicles in 2022 may be between 1.1 million units and 1.2 million units, including 600,000 pure electric vehicles and 500,000 to 600,000 plug-in hybrid vehicles.
– By contrast, Tesla’s global delivery volume decreased by 18% compared with the first quarter, and there is still a gap of 4% from Elon Musk’s “50% delivery growth rate”, which means that Tesla will face great delivery pressure in the second half of the year.
ILLINOIS INTRODUCES REBATE PROGRAMME FOR EVS
– In the USA, a new rebate programme for EVs opened in Illinois on 1 July. Anyone who buys an electric vehicle (car, truck or van) can apply for a $4,000 rebate from the state for their purchase. For electric motorcycles there is also a $1,500 rebate, but not for electric mopeds.
– Exluded from the rebates are also vehicles such as pure- or plug-in hybrinds (HEV and PHEV). The rebates were created under the Climate and Equitable Jobs Act (CEJA), which was passed by the General Assembly and signed by Governor Pritzker in autumn 2021.
US: BMW NOTICEABLY INCREASED BEV SALES IN Q2 2022: OVER 1,000 IX SOLD
– The BMW Group (BMW and MINI) is experiencing some difficult times in the US right now, as its vehicle deliveries decreased 20.6% year-over-year in Q2, to 84,036.
– In terms of all-electric car sales, we can see a noticeable increase in Q2, thanks to the all-new BMW iX and BMW i4, which entered the market in March.
– The company does not say the exact number of BEV sales, but the BMW iX noted 1,081 units during the period, which alone is two times more than the retired BMW i3 a year ago.
– unfortunately the i4 is counted together with conventional 4 Series models
– since launch, 1,428 BMW iX and “more than 1,100 BMW i4 Gran Coupe” were sold. That’s roughly 2,600 total in the first half of the year – a big increase over 851 BMW i3 a year ago.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/595816/us-bmw-bev-sales-q2-2022/
SILVERADO EV RESERVATION HOLDERS TO USE IT AS DAILY DRIVER
– The Chevy Silverado EV introduces a brand-new all-electric variant to the legendary Chevy Silverado lineup, offering a cutting-edge EV powertrain plus all the impressive capability expected. Interestingly, GM is now saying that the overwhelming majority of Chevy Silverado EV reservation holders plan to use their battery-powered pickup as their daily driver.
– Citing information collected in a survey conducted by GM Research, GM says that a whopping 95 percent of Chevy Silverado EV reservation holders will use the pickup for daily driving duties. Additionally, GM states that 87 percent of survey respondents decided to reserve a Chevy Silverado EV because they wanted an all-electric vehicle that could also meet their “truck needs” with regard to towing and trailering, while 72 percent of survey respondents said they wanted an EV that could go off-roading.
AMAZON IS USING ELECTRIC CARGO BIKES
– Amazon has launched its first “micromobility hub” in the UK with the aim to swap “thousands” of polluting delivery trucks with electric cargo bikes — and, in some cases, walking. The project is intended to help Amazon achieve its climate goals to have 50 percent of its deliveries be carbon neutral by 2030.
– Starting in the London borough of Hackney, the company says that it will deliver 1 million packages a year using walking and electric cargo bikes, in addition to deliveries that are made with electric vans. Delivery workers on foot and e-bikes will help displace “thousands” of traditional van trips, Amazon said.
– FedEx also uses e-bikes in London (that emissions charge!), while Domino’s partnered with Rad Power Bikes to deliver pizza in a couple of cities. UPS is used cargo bikes in Seattle. German delivery company DPD wants to use these mini-trucks that are actually e-bikes in disguise. In New York City, e-bikes are almost exclusively used by food delivery workers.
CATL WILL LAUNCH A 10 C-RATE EV BATTERY
– CATL basically announced the death of the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) powertrains.
– In its recent presentation of the Qilin battery CATL promised the ability to charge from 10 to 80 % in just 10 minutes, this represents a 4 C-rate charge. However, in its official website, CATL is now promising a much better charging rate.
– What do you think about charging 80 % of an electric car’s battery in just 5 minutes? This is what CATL is now announcing.
– This is roughly a 10 C-rate and definitely aimed for 800-volt systems. The best we have seen until now was the impressive 6 C-rate charging capability of the GAC Aion.
– I think that Huawei and Changan will be the first customers of this super-fast charging technology from CATL, with the introduction of the CHN platform.
Original Source : https://pushevs.com/2022/07/04/catl-will-launch-a-10-c-rate-ev-battery/
JAPANESE AUTOMAKERS IN HIGH GEAR TO BOOST EV SALES
– Japanese automakers’ drive to tap the potentially lucrative electric vehicle market has swung into full gear as they are eager not to miss out on the global shift to electrification.
– But with no clear outlook on how much the Japanese market will expand after falling far behind the U.S., European and Chinese markets, they are struggling to find a path to success in “an era where no one knows the right answer,” as one senior Toyota Motor official put it.
– Japanese industry leader Toyota released the bZ4X electric SUV, its first mass-produced EV model, in Japan. The bZ4X is available only under a subscription system, reflecting Toyota’s aim of alleviating drivers’ concerns, primarily over battery degradation, by setting fixed monthly fees including maintenance expenses.
– Terminal values for EVs, which indicate their future value, tend to be assessed relatively low
– The factor has been singled out as a psychological impediment to new EV purchases and thus as a roadblock to wider use of EVs in Japan.
– “We should take on risks regarding trade-in prices, a major source of worry for drivers, and battery degradation,” said Shinya Kotera, president of Kinto Corp., which operates subscription services for Toyota models.
NEW MG4 EV CONFIRMED FOR SEPTEMBER DEBUT
– MG has revealed the first images of its all-new MG4 EV, ahead of the launch in September.
Initially available with battery capacities from 51kWh to 64kWh, the MG4 EV will be capable of between 218-281 miles range on the WLTP cycle.
– The manufacturer has also revealed its new integrated battery structure has a height of 110mm, which it says will enhance roadholding and driver engagement.
– The new MSP has been designed to maximise battery efficiency, with concerted efforts to further reduce weight and allow scalable range and performance for a wide variety of customer requirements, offering enhanced interior space and luggage capacity.
Original Source : https://theenergyst.com/new-mg4-ev-confirmed-for-september-debut/
ELECTRIC CARS SOLD IN UK PASSES HALF A MILLION DESPITE SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES
– The number of electric cars sold in the UK has surpassed half a million, according to analysis that underlines the rapid growth in demand despite supply chain problems caused by the pandemic and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
– The UK reached the milestone in June and the number of electric cars in the country is likely to overtake France later this year, according to Matthias Schmidt, a Berlin-based automotive analyst.
– The number of electric cars on the UK’s roads has soared from fewer than 100,000 in 2019 as carmakers have started to produce them in large volumes to meet tightening regulations on carbon dioxide emissions, and impending bans on petrol and diesel cars that will come in by 2035 in the UK and EU.
– pure electric cars account for about 1.2% of the 40.5m cars on British roads
– A fifth of the electric cars on British roads were made by Tesla
EXETER ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING POINTS REMOVED
– The plan to install 16 rapid charging machines on streets around Exeter was supposed to put “Exeter on the map with the UK’s most sustainable cities”.
– The project has been funded by Innovate UK and the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles, part of the Department for Transport.
– Some charging points were put in place in 2021 but workmen were seen removing some of the points in early June 2022.
– In response to questions from the BBC, Rapid Charging Devon issued a statement which said some of the rapid chargers were “not working as consistently as we would like”.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-61911605
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT