Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 4th July, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
ELECTRIFYING LUXURY: PRODUCTION LAUNCH OF THE NEW BMW 7 SERIES IN DINGOLFING
– The first series-produced vehicles of the new BMW 7 Series have today rolled off the production lines of BMW Group Plant Dingolfing. The BMW i7, especially, marks the next step in the BMW Group’s electromobility campaign for the luxury segment, which Dingolfing has come to symbolise.
– By the end of 2022, one in four BMWs leaving Dingolfing is already expected to incorporate an electric drive, rising to approx. 50 percent of the plant’s total output by the middle of this decade, according to current plans.
– The e-drive components of the BMW i7 – specifically the high-voltage battery and highly integrated electric drive – are also made in Dingolfing. Like those of the BMW iX, BMW i4 and BMW iX3, they are manufactured nearby, in the BMW Group Competence Centre for e-Drive Production.
VOLVO CARS TO BUILD $1.3 BILLION EV PLANT IN SLOVAKIA
– Volvo Car AB plans to build a 1.2 billion euro ($1.3 billion) electric-vehicle factory in Slovakia, the company said Friday.
– The new plant will be able to produce 250,000 electric cars per year, part of the company’s goal of reaching annual sales of 1.2 million cars by 2025 and switching its entire lineup to battery-powered vehicles by the end of the decade.
– The investment also opens the possibility to build a battery plant nearby to feed directly into the EV production facility
– Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with equipment and production lines installed the following year. Series production of electric cars is scheduled to start in 2026. The plant should create around 3,300 new jobs.
OUR 2022 RIVIAN R1T HAS A SECRET SOFTWARE MODE, AND WE ACCESSED IT
– Accessing the R1T’s secret service mode is a lot easier than the up-down-right-right-up cheat codes of our youth. First, tap on the three-dot icon on the bottom bar of the Rivian’s infotainment system. Then tap on the top black bar five times. After that, tap on the three-dot icon again and a new R (Ride) icon will appear. Tap that new icon, and the screen will show a quote by John Muir. Now, tap on the screen a few more times and the Rivian will ask for a PIN code. Can you guess what the code is? We can. It’s 7433 (Ride).
– After some hunting around, we found the Dashboards tab to be the useful one for R1T drivers to dig around in for data. There are tons of signals you can monitor, and we had to make some educated keyword guesses in the Rivian’s search bar to see what we could find and add to the big screen. We tried “torque,” “pack,” “SOE” (State of Energy), “BMS” (Battery Management System), and “lifetime,” and found a few datapoints that were interesting to see.
RIVIAN ‘PET COMFORT’ MODE ADDED IN FREE OTA SOFTWARE UPDATE
– Back in April Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe teased that a pet mode would be coming soon to their R1 vehicles. This week the automaker followed through and deployed ‘Pet Comfort’ through a free over-the-air (OTA) software update.
– According to a support page set up for the new feature, Pet Comfort works just like Tesla’s Dog Mode, although based on the name and the images Rivian uses to showcase the feature, they expect you to use it for more than just your dog.
– Owners simply have to press a small paw icon in the main climate screen before they exit the vehicle and their Rivian will maintain a temperature of between 68°F and 74°F, depending on how you set it up. If you don’t set a temperature, the cabin will kept at a comfortable 72°F while you’re gone.
TESLA DELIVERS 254,695 CARS IN Q2 2022
– Tesla has just released its Q2 2022 production and delivery report, so the numbers are now in. See how Tesla fared this quarter right here.
– At 254,695 global deliveries of the Model Y, Model 3, Model S and Model X combined, Tesla beat expectations, which was at around 257,000 to 270,000 units. The previous record was set by Tesla in Q1 2022 at 310,048 cars sold.
– For Q2 2022, Tesla lists Model 3/Y deliveries at 238,533. Meanwhile, the combined Model S and Model X deliveries hit just 16,162.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/594873/tesla-q2-2022-deliveries/
TEXAS-MADE TESLA MODEL Y WITH 4680 BATTERY CHARGES 0-97% IN UNDER 1 HOUR
– A Texas-made Tesla Model Y with 4680 battery cells has been able to complete a charging session from 0% to 97% in 52 minutes.
Tesla advocate Ryan Levenson of The Kilowatts, who maintains several electric vehicles that he rents out on Turo, recently took delivery of a Texas-made Dual Motor Model Y. The vehicle is equipped with the company’s highly-anticipated 4680 battery cells
– He actually drove the Texas-made Model Y until its battery showed 0 miles of range. Posts on social media indicated that the vehicle drove 3 miles beyond its “0 mile” point with seemingly no impact on acceleration.
– The Model Y was plugged in at 12:25 a.m. with 0 miles of range remaining, and by 1:17 a.m., the Texas-made crossover was unplugged with 270 miles of range. It should be noted that the Dual Motor Model Y from Texas is listed with a range of 279 miles per charge on a full battery.
GERMAN ROAD TRAFFIC AGENCY SAYS 59,000 TESLA VEHICLES HAVE SOFTWARE GLITCH
– July 3 (Reuters) – Germany’s road traffic agency said it was recalling Tesla (TSLA.O) models Y and 3 because of a fault in the automatic emergency call system that affects 59,000 vehicles globally.
– The KBA watchdog said on its website dated June 29 that a software flaw was causing a breakdown of the eCall, which is designed to automatically contact emergency responders in the event of a serious accident.
– KBA said 59,129 vehicles were affected globally but did not specify how many of those were registered in Germany.
ELON MUSK HALTS TESLA ASSEMBLY LINE IN STRUGGLING BERLIN PLANT FOR 2 WEEKS OVER PRODUCTION PROBLEMS
– Tesla will mothball production for two weeks at its new factory in Germany only a few months after assembly lines roared to life.
– German tabloid Bild reported on Monday the factory has been struggling with a trio of persistent problems: longer-than-anticipated manufacturing time, a lack of skilled workers, and quality assurance issues that require expensive reworking on vehicles that have already rolled off the assembly line.
– Last month the plant managed to achieve 1,000 vehicles built per week, only about a tenth of what the factory can produce once it hits full capacity. It began manufacturing in late March after receiving final regulatory approval.
TESLA CAN NOW SCAN FOR POTHOLES AND ADJUST VEHICLE SUSPENSION TO AVOID DAMAGE
– Tesla’s latest software update includes a cool-sounding feature that could prevent a lot of underbody damage — and perhaps some driver damage too, Electrek reports. According to release notes, the update (2022.20) will enable Tesla vehicles to scan the road ahead of potholes and adjust the suspension to account for rough roads.
– Tesla owners can activate the new feature by selecting “Comfort” under the Adaptive Suspension Damping setting. But the new feature may be dependent on where the vehicle is being driven — meaning it may not be available for every pothole and road crack. “This adjustment may occur at various locations, subject to availability, as the vehicle downloads rough road map data generated by Tesla cars,” the release notes state according to Not a Tesla App.
– Notably, the software update is not applicable to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving, meaning the vehicle won’t try to steer around or avoid road damage.
VOLKSWAGEN LAUNCH ELECTRIFICATION-AS-A-SERVICE (EAAS) FOR FLEETS
– Volkswagen Financial Services have launched the new ‘Electrification-as-a-Service’ (EaaS) in Europe to support the decarbonisation of large fleets. Customers benefit from a range of consulting and implementation from a single source across national borders.
– Partners for the modules include services Volkswagen Group has been building for some time, such as Elli for energy and charging solutions or MHP Management- und IT-Beratung GmbH by Porsche Consulting) for IT services. Volkswagen Financial Services and Volkswagen Group Fleet International handle all matters relating to vehicle procurement and full-service leasing.
UNDER-$5,000 CHINESE EV HITS SPEED BUMP AFTER PRICE HIKE
– China’s top-selling budget electric vehicle has lost momentum after a cost-driven price increase in a market saturated with new entrants.
– The Hongguang Mini EV took the country by storm when it was released in July 2020 by the joint venture SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile.
– Sales of the Hongguang Mini took off especially in rural lower-tier cities. The car outperformed Tesla’s Model 3 and other rivals to become the bestselling new energy vehicle for 20 consecutive months through May 2022, according to Wuling.
– About 25,000 Hongguang Minis were sold in April, according to the China Passenger Car Association. Sales volume declined 6% compared with a year earlier, marking model’s first year-on-year decline. A 2% drop followed in May.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT