Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 1st July, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
MERCEDES-BENZ OUTLINES NEXT GEN ELECTRIC-CAR PRODUCTION PLANS
– Mercedes-Benz AG outlined plans for producing its next generation of electric vehicles, moving past a critical crossroads with German labor unions as the carmaker phases out some models in its shift to all-luxury.
– The production plan will see its Sindelfingen, Stuttgart, factory produce vehicles based on the electric architecture being developed for its high-performance AMG division, the company said Wednesday. That factory already produces the EQS, the electric version of its flagship S-Class model.
– Plants in Bremen and Kecskemet, Hungary, will produce vehicles based on the company’s mid-range luxury electric platform: all-electric versions of the C-Class, E-Class and similar models.
– The company aims to have battery-powered models in all its segments this year, a staging post for its ambition to only sell electric cars by 2030.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-29/mercedes-benz-lays-out-its-german-factories-electric-future
PRODUCTION OF THE BMW I3 COMES TO A CLOSE WITH HOMERUN EDITION.
– The serial production of the BMW i3 is now to come
to an end, some eight and a half years after it was launched.
– For the BMW Group Plant Leipzig, the farewell to the BMW i3 is linked
to the start of a new chapter in electric mobility. In a seamless
transition, further e-drive components will be manufactured there with
immediate effect in addition to producing high-voltage battery
modules, which is already being done since May 2021. And already next
year, the next generation of the MINI Countryman will be manufactured
at the same location – with a fully electric drive
– The BMW i3 ends its production run with an impressive homerun. Just a
few days ago, the 250,000 unit of the compact e-vehicle was produced
in Leipzig. This makes the BMW i3 the world’s most successful electric
vehicle in the premium compact segment. And contrary to what might be
expected for a model that is being phased out, its popularity did not
wane as it matured.
– The BMW i3’s high-voltage battery has undergone continuous
development since its market launch, doubling its storage capacity
while retaining the same installation space. With a cell capacity of
120 ampere hours (Ah) and a gross energy content of 42.2 kilowatt
hours (kWh), it now enables ranges of up to 307 kilometres (BMW i3)
according to WLTP.
– On its home stretch, the BMW i3 once again showcases the elegant and
extravagant side of its character that has already been the subject of
several limited special models. The BMW i3s HomeRun Edition, was
treated to a Frozen paint finish from BMW Individual for the first
time. This premiere is associated with a maximum of exclusivity: Only
ten units of the BMW i3s HomeRun Edition have been produced.
Original Source : https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0401920EN/the-electric-pioneer-on-the-home-stretch:-production-of-the-bmw-i3-comes-to-a-close-with-an-anniversary-and-the-exclusive-homerun-edition?language=en
EV BATTERIES PLANT IN DOUBT OVER US INFLATION, SAYS LGES
– The wilting US economy has forced South Korea’s LG Energy Solution (LGES) to take another look at its plan to build an electric vehicle (EV) battery factory in Arizona. The company said no decisions have been made on the $1.3 billion plan, which was unveiled in March.
– Tesla, General Motors and Volkswagen among its customers.
– LGES is also planning to make EV batteries for GM at new plants in the US states of Ohio, Tennessee and Michigan and seeks to expand its existing factory in Michigan.
– Analysts attributed the review of the Arizona investment to elevated US inflation, running at its highest level in more than four decades, which could lead to rising costs for materials, construction, as well as labour.
Original Source : https://www.asiafinancial.com/south-koreas-lges-says-inflation-puts-us-battery-plant-in-doubt
CITROËN LAUNCHES Ë-C4 X CROSSOVER IN THE Ë-C4 SERIES
– Citroën has unveiled the ë-C4 X, a crossover offshoot of its ë-C4 compact model. In most European markets, the French brand will offer only the all-electric ë-C4 X,
– Citroën is relying on the combination of a 100 kW electric motor and a 50 kWh battery familiar from many other electric models from the Stellantis Group, which should allow a WLTP range of up to 360 kilometres in the ë-C4 X
– With the ë-C4 X, which Citroën now also calls a crossover by name, the French still bring the sedan into the concept: At 4.60 meters, the ë-C4 X towers over the familiar ë-C4 by a full 24 centimetres. The wheelbase, however, is the same at 2.67 meters.
– In the ë-C4 X, there is a much smaller opening like that of a notchback sedan. At 510 litres, the cargo compartment is also significantly larger than in the ë-C4 (380 litres).
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/06/29/citroen-launches-e-c4-x-electric-crossover-in-the-e-c4-series/
GENESIS ELECTRIFIED G80 LAUNCHED AS THE KOREAN COMPANY’S MERCEDES EQE RIVAL
– The world of executive electric sedans has just become bigger in the United Kingdom, where Genesis is now accepting orders for the Electrified G80.
– Available exclusively in a single trim level, named the Luxury, it has a recommended retail price of £65,000 (equal to $79,506). Customers can further specify it with various packages, including the Innovation, Convenience, Comfort Seat, Executive, Bio Nappa Leather Seat, Vehicle to Load, and the solar roof.
– Electrified G80 has a 321-mile (517-km) range on the WLTP cycle. The 87.2 kWh battery pack can be charged from 10 to 80% in just 21 minutes at a 350 kW connection.
– the 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system is included, and so is the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/genesis-electrified-g80-launched-as-the-korean-company-s-mercedes-eqe-rival-192426.html
NORTH DAKOTA TO USE $26 MILLION TO BUILD ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS ACROSS THE STATE
– North Dakota will use nearly $26 million in federal funding over the next several years to build a network of charging stations for electric vehicles around the state.North Dakota Department of Transportation officials say the first phase of the plan is to build chargers no more than 50 miles apart and less than a mile off exits along Interstates 94 and 29, the Bismarck Tribune reported.
– The federal program guides states on how to set up the charging stations so that they function the same across the country and are easy to find and pay for.
– North Dakota has just several hundred electric vehicles and is among the last states in the nation to install fast-charging stations.
Original Source : https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-dakota-use-26-million-build-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-across-state
WHY IS TOYOTA BENCHMARKING TWO RIVIAN R1T ELECTRIC TRUCKS?
– Toyota has vowed to launch 15 new EVs by 2025 and one of these will be an electric pickup, which would explain why the automaker was recently caught testing a pair of Rivian R1Ts.
– One of the trucks – the blue one – was spotted by our spies leaving Toyota’s Michigan Technical Center in Ann Arbor with Texas manufacturer plates on, while the other – the black vehicle – was seen with Michigan manufacturer plates driving both inside the Toyota compound, as well as on public roads, strongly suggesting that it was being tested by Toyota.
– We have yet to receive any photos of possible Toyota electric pickup mules, though. They probably already exist, but it seems to be too early for them to be testing out on public roads. However, given the fact that Toyota is already benchmarking rival pickups, this is strong indication that the project is well underway.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/595148/toyota-benchmarks-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup/
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CURBSIDE CHARGING IS COMING TO SEATTLE NEIGHBORHOODS
– Seattle City Light is on a mission to make owning an electric vehicle more equitable by bringing curbside charging stations to neighborhood streets. Research from the US Department of Energy shows up to 90% of charging happens at home. But some homes don’t have driveways or garages in Seattle’s Central District or Queen Anne neighborhoods.
– Homeowners and landlords who either own an electric vehicle or plan to own one in the next 12 months can submit a request for one of 30 curbside charging stations. The city plans to install the level two stations early next year. Submissions have been open since June 1. The city said they have received more than 300 requests.
– While installation won’t cost the public anything, the charging fee will be .20 cents per kilowatt
Original Source : https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/electric-vehicle-curbside-charging-is-coming-to-seattle-neighborhoods-heres-why-it-matters/ar-AAZ0Myb
VW: EV BATTERY OUTPUT BIGGER CHALLENGE THAN EU COMBUSTION ENGINE BAN
– The EU deal to phase out combustion engine cars in just over 12 years is challenging, but a more daunting obstacle will be making enough batteries to power the electric cars needed as a result, a senior Volkswagen executive said on Wednesday.
– The comment was made after European Union countries clinched deals on proposed laws to combat climate change early on Wednesday, including one requiring new cars sold in the bloc to emit zero CO2 from 2035
– “It’s a challenging goal. We think it’s doable,” VW Chief Financial Officer Arno Antlitz told Reuters in an interview at the Reuters Automotive Europe conference on Wednesday.
– “The most challenging topic is not ramping up the car plants. The most challenging topic will be ramping up the battery supply chain.”
– Stellantis Chief Executive Officer Carlos Tavares said last month he expects a shortage of EV batteries will hit the auto industry in 2024-2025 as manufacturers try to ramp up EV sales while still building new battery factories.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-battery-output-bigger-challenge-than-eu-combustion-engine-ban-says-vw-2022-06-29/
STELLANTIS’ FRENCH DIESEL ENGINE PLANT TO GET EV MOTOR BOOST
– Stellantis said on Wednesday it will speed up electric motor production at its factory in Tremery, France, long the world’s largest diesel engine plant, to account for 50% of the facility’s capacity by 2024.
– In 2021, diesel accounted for 67% of production at this plant in northeastern France. By 2024, diesel engines will make up only 30% of installed capacity. Gasoline engines, also used for hybrid electric vehicles, will make up 20% of capacity.
– Stellantis plans production capacity of 200,000 motors at Tremery by the end of 2021 and more than 1 million in 2024.
Original Source : https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/06/30/autos-stellantis-electric
SWISS PLAN TAX ON EVS TO HELP FINANCE ROADS | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– Switzerland plans a new tax on vehicles powered by electricity and other alternative sources of energy to help plug a gap in financing for road building and maintenance as revenue from traditional fuel taxes declines, the government said.
– The government asked the transport ministry to come up with a proposal by the end of the year to make road financing more sustainable.
– The new tax will consist of a fixed amount per kilometer driven and vehicle category, the government said, but it was still figuring out how to levy the tax, which is planned to take effect from 2030.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/swiss-plan-tax-evs-help-finance-roads
NC STATE COMPUTER MODEL PLOTS BEST LOCATIONS FOR EV CHARGERS
– researchers at North Carolina State University have created a computer model that identifies places where drivers will need to recharge and aligns them with places that can actually supply enough electricity to handle the demand.
– Transportation officials worry about how to design, build and maintain roads and traffic. The ideal charging locations would be where cars can get to easily — like grocery stores and places right off-highway.
– “The best locations for a charging facility and for a power system are not the same,” said Asya Atik, a transportation engineer and one of the authors of the N.C. State report. Other studies have tended to consider the problem from just one point of view — either the most convenient locations for people driving cars, or where can the grid supply enough power to recharge a steady stream of vehicles.
– The N.C. State model generates locations with the lowest building cost for both transportation and electricity networks.
– Detours for cheaper charging fees could change electricity and traffic flow.
– The model mimics drivers’ behavior by ensuring that electric car users travel as quickly as possible. By considering the best interests of both networks and drivers, even before actually building out the stations, the computer model balances the needs of all of the players.
Original Source : https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article262796578.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT