Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 30th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
EU GOVERNMENTS TAKE HISTORIC DECISION TO END SALE OF POLLUTING CARS
– It’s game over for the internal combustion engine in Europe, green group Transport & Environment (T&E) has said, after EU governments agreed to end sales of polluting cars and vans by 2035.
– The deal reached by Environment Ministers this morning makes the switch to zero-emissions vehicles a foregone conclusion after the European Parliament voted for it earlier this month.
– Julia Poliscanova, senior director for vehicles and emobility at T&E, said: “European governments have taken the historic decision to end the sale of polluting cars. Transport is the largest source of emissions and cars are the biggest part of the problem.
– While ministers agreed that manufacturers should not receive credits towards their CO2 targets for cars powered by e-fuels, they said the Commission should submit new proposals to allow their use in the future. Cars powered by e-fuels emit significantly more CO2 than battery electric vehicles over their lifecycle and pump out as much toxic NOx emissions as petrol vehicles.
EU COUNTRIES UPHOLD CO2 PLAN THAT PHASES OUT COMBUSTION CARS BY 2035
– European Union countries endorsed a push to eliminate carbon emissions from new cars by 2035, effectively heralding the end of the internal combustion engine era.
– Environment ministers struck a deal on the proposal after Italy, home to Ferrari and Lamborghini, gave up demands for a five-year delay in the EU’s plan for automakers to clean up their fleet.
– With EU lawmakers already in favor of giving up fossil fuels in the auto industry, it’s highly likely that most car companies will have to shift to producing electric models in little more than a decade.
– Italy had sought a 90 percent reduction in automakers’ emissions by 2035, the year that the European Commission has targeted a full cut, as well as a longer exemption for small automakers.
It won some concessions on derogation for niche manufacturers — like Lamborghini — who will be spared interim targets until the end of 2035, from 2029
BIDEN-HARRIS ADMINISTRATION CATALYZES MORE THAN $700 MILLION IN EV CHARGING
– Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is highlighting how President Biden’s leadership on electric vehicles is catalyzing more than $700 million in investments from the private sector that will increase our domestic capacity to manufacture more than 250,000 new electric vehicle (EV) chargers each year
– The historic private investments will follow the $7.5 billion from President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to build a national network of EV chargers, enabling convenient and uniform charging at home, work, and across the country.
– Today’s announcements demonstrate how the President is catalyzing private investment to boost our domestic manufacturing capacity, enabling America to create a national network of chargers and create thousands of new high-quality, union jobs building, installing, and maintaining it.
Original Source : https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/06/28/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-catalyzes-more-than-700-million-in-private-sector-commitments-to-make-ev-charging-more-affordable-and-accessible/
VW AND SIEMENS INVEST $450 MILLION IN ELECTRIFY AMERICA
– Volkswagen and Siemens announced that they raised $450 million for Electrify America to accelerate its deployment of charging infrastructure in the US.
– The company was created as part of VW’s $2 billion deal with the US government to compensate for the Dieselgate scandal. VW had to create an entity to invest the money in electric vehicle charging infrastructure and other programs to help accelerate EV adoption.
– Electrify America LLC, the largest open ultra-fast electric vehicle charging network in North America, announced today it has raised $450 million of equity investments into the company at a post-money valuation of $2.45 billion.
– VW invested in the round, but the company has taken outside money for the first time with Siemens investing an undisclosed amount
– With our recent investment, we confirm our commitment to keep growing in the Charging and Energy business. We are supporting eMobility in North America to more than double Electrify America’s charging infrastructure to 1,800 sites and 10,000 ultra-fast chargers by 2026. Siemens’ investment validates our electrification strategy to provide charging and energy solutions nationwide, and the company is a significant strategic technology and electrification partner for us on this route.
2023 CADILLAC LYRIQ FIRST DRIVE REVIEW: THE NEW AMERICAN LUXURY SONGBOOK
– Cadillac was once one of the most iconic automakers in the US. Heralded in popular song through the 20th century, it was the definition of American luxury.
– The introduction of this first EV marks the end of combustion cars for Cadillac. It is leading the battery-powered way for the brands of General Motors and planning to stop selling vehicles with internal combustion engines completely by 2030.
– Its notable performance numbers – 312 miles of range, sub-six-second zero-to-sixty, 190-kilowatt max charge rate – along with the luxury touches and experience seem like a strong value for a starting price of $62,990.
– the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq is engineered to be a quiet place. An active noise canceling system enlists six microphones (to capture what occupants can hear) and accelerometers on the front suspension (to capture the current road noise to cancel) to keep outside noise and road vibration at bay, enhanced with the car’s natural good aerodynamics and acoustic laminated glass. The system worked surprisingly well while driving on a noisy grooved concrete section of the highway. What would have been an annoying drone in most vehicles was hardly noticeable in Lyriq.
– The expansive glass roof with power sunshade adds an airy and spacious feel. The floating, curved LED 33.0-inch screen that flows from the driver’s side of the dash across the center to the passenger compartment, is quick to respond, bright, and detailed.
– The Lyriq is the first Cadillac with a five-link suspension at all four corners (short-long arms in front, independent at the back), and aided by passive-plus premium dampers all the way around, road irregularities practically disappear.
– ith the 102-kilowatt-hour (usable) battery, this rear-wheel-drive version with 340 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque is rated by the EPA for 312 miles on a charge. An all-wheel-drive variant will be added later this year with 500 horsepower
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/reviews/594677/2023-cadillac-lyriq-first-drive/
AUTOCAR EXCLUSIVE: JAGUAR TO RETURN IN 2025 WITH TRIO OF ELECTRIC SPORTS SUVS
– Jaguar is planning a trio of “jaw-dropping” electric sports crossovers to burst through the £100,000 barrier and take the brand into Bentley territory from 2025.
– The new two-tier, three-model line-up promises to dramatically recast Jaguar as a 50,000-60,000-per-year manufacturer of exclusive, electric, aluminium-rich cars
– These will be based on a single platform, named Panthera, utilise closely related mechanical packages and be made in Solihull.
– It will come in three-door and five-door bodies, positioned as separate models, with an entry price of around £80,000-£90,000.
– Jaguar’s progress on EVs is currently being made more difficult by hold-ups and shortages in the supply chain.
– JLR seems to have suffered more than most from the global scarcity of semiconductors.
– The new platform will be jointly developed by JLR engineers and automotive supply giant Magna, which builds the Jaguar I-Pace.
– Jaguar is also likely to try to source batteries from a UK-based supplier, with some press reports suggesting that it might team up with Envision AESC.
AIWAYS U5 ELECTRIC SUV TO LAUNCH IN UK NEXT YEAR
– A new electric car brand is coming to the UK market, called Aiways. The Chinese manufacturer will launch its U5 SUV in the second half of 2023, taking aim at the likes of the Skoda Enyaq and Volkswagen ID.4.
– A spokesperson from Aiways said, “we are planning to expand to RHD markets from mid/end of next year, but no dates can be given at this time. We would start with the UK and then look at other markets after that.”
– Aiways also claims that the U5 will offer over 250 miles of range on a single charge, while the 63kWh battery will be able to charge from 30 to 80 per cent in 27 minutes.
BYD ATTO 3 TEST DRIVES IMMINENT AS DELIVERY AGREEMENT LOCKED IN
– Electric car importer EV Direct will shortly commence test drives of the right-hand-drive BYD Atto 3, it said in an announcement confirming it has also locked in a dealer and delivery agreement with national network Eagers Automotive
– The Atto 3 is currently the most affordable new electric vehicle in Australia, and first deliveries are set to commence in the third quarter of 2022.
– Priced from $44,381 before on-roads for a Standard Range version and $47,381 for an Extended Range, BYD also confirmed that it has taken more than 3,000 orders for the Atto 3.
VOLTA TRUCKS COMPLETES FIRST CUSTOMER EVALUATION OF THE FULL-ELECTRIC VOLTA ZERO
– Volta Trucks has completed its first customer driving evaluation and feedback sessions of the Volta Zero Design Verification prototype. The review gave customers their first experience of the zero-tailpipe emission medium-duty truck designed for urban logistics, providing a real-world understanding of the vehicle’s performance, world-first driver-centric cab and innovative safety features.
– These Production Verification prototypes will be loaned to customers for extended periods later in 2022, enabling them to understand how full-electric medium-duty trucks will integrate into their operations. Production of the first customer-specification vehicles is still on track to start in early 2023.
NIO HAS PROVIDED OVER 9.7 MILLION BATTERY SWAPS IN PAST FOUR YEARS
– NIO today announced the cumulative number of services provided by NIO Power, as the energy service system celebrates its fourth anniversary.
– As of June 28, NIO had 997 battery swap stations worldwide, providing more than 9.7 million cumulative battery swap services to customers, the company said today on its mobile app.
– NIO currently has 996 battery swap stations in China, 254 of which are located along highways
– On June 28, 2018, the NIO Power one-click power-up service was opened,
CHINESE BATTERY MAKER GOTION TO LOCATE A THIRD OF ITS PRODUCTION ABROAD BY 2025
– Chinese battery maker Gotion High Tech Co(002074.SZ) said it plans to locate one-third of its production capacity outside China by 2025 to meet the growing demand from overseas electric vehicle (EV) makers and energy storage household clients.
– The company, based in Hefei in Anhui province, said in a statement on Tuesday that it plans to build a total battery production capacity of 300 gigawatt hours (GWh) in three years, reiterating a goal it first announced last year. In 2021, Gotion produced 16 GWh.
– 100 GWh of its planned total capacity would be located overseas.
– Gotion’s move also follows that of its Chinese competitor CATL (300750.SZ), the world’s largest battery giant, which aims to start cell production at its German plant by the end of the year.
– Gotion, which counts Volkswagen as its largest single investor, said it will start building its first overseas battery plant in Gottingen, Germany by the end of this year and aims to start production earliest next September.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT