Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 28th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
JAPAN PUSHES TO REMOVE ZERO-EMISSION VEHICLE TARGET FROM G7 STATEMENT
– Japan is pushing to remove a target for zero-emission vehicles from a G7 communique expected this week, according to a proposed draft seen by Reuters, a move that would water down language on climate change from the leaders’ summit in Germany.
– Reuters reported last week that Toyota Motor Corp’s (7203.T) head lobbied the Japanese government to make clear it supported hybrid vehicles as much as zero-emission battery electrics.
– Japan has proposed removing a reference to a “collective goal of at least 50% zero-emission vehicles by 2030”, according to a draft of the communique reviewed by Reuters.
– It was not clear whether the proposed changes would be in the final version of the communique, which is due to be released at the end of the summit on Tuesday.
– Japan had pushed to remove a goal for all new car and van sales in G7 countries to be “zero emission vehicles” by 2035, in the G7 climate ministers’ communique in late May, according to sources familiar with the discussions and a draft communique seen by Reuters.
– Reuters reported last week that Toyota Motor Corp’s (7203.T) head lobbied the Japanese government to make clear it supported hybrid vehicles, which burn fossil fuels, as much as zero-emission battery electrics
FORD WON’T LET YOU BUY YOUR LEASED EV WHEN THE CONTRACT ENDS
– Ford has made a change to its lease policy that will prevent people leasing the F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, and E-Transit EVs from choosing to purchase the vehicle at the end of the contract. The customers will need to return the vehicle, at which time they can either lease a new vehicle or simply return the car.
– The reason, a Ford spokesperson told Car and Driver, is the desire to keep EVs “in the Ford network longer” to maintain control over battery recycling and materials.
– It’s worth noting that other automakers in the recent past have limited customers’ ability to sell their lease to others outside the brand, in a move to keep their stock to themselves as the used-car market continues to be tight and prices go up.
2024 CHEVY SILVERADO EV GETS STEERING WHEEL-MOUNTED GEAR SELECTOR
– The majority of GM pickup trucks use a column-mounted gear select lever, while some of its other vehicles have a row of buttons in place of a traditional gear selector. The Chevy Silverado EV uses neither of these solutions, however, instead opting to use a short gear selector stalk mounted to the steering wheel.
– Pull towards the wheel and then up to select D
Pull towards the wheel and then down to select R
Pull towards the wheel to select N
Press the button at the tip of the selector to engage P
– GM said in April that it had received 140,000 reservation orders for the Chevy Silverado EV, which includes orders for consumer-focused models like the RST First Edition, as well as the WT fleet model. Production of the truck will begin early next year at the GM Factory Zero plant in Michigan, with deliveries of the WT set to commence that spring.
LG ELECTRONICS TO GO INTO ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING BUSINESS
– LG Electronics announced on June 26 that it will join the electric vehicle charging solution business by jointly acquiring a 100 percent stake in AppleMango Co., a Korean electric vehicle charger company, with GS Energy and GS Neotek.
– Established in 2019, AppleMango has source technologies for electric vehicle chargers that can meet various demands of homes and commercial spaces. It has secured proprietary technology for the design of a slim-type fast charger.
– Major Korean companies, including Lotte and SK, are also rushing into the electric vehicle charging business, which is expected to grow rapidly as demand for eco-friendly vehicles are on the uptick.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=95314
TESLA MODEL S PLAID: DETAILED PAINT QUALITY ANALYSIS
– Kyle took the Model S Plaid to Clear Detailing in Windsor, Colorado, to connect with Coleton Guerin, the company’s sole owner and head detailer. Guerin provides a full evaluation of the new Plaid’s paint job.
– Coleton finds a few minor marks, some residue, and small defects, but nothing that stands out. He notes that he’s been doing this for years, and he’s seen many new cars. That said, this particular Model S doesn’t show any obvious concerns, which is somewhat surprising since its gloss black paint typically shows every imperfection. Kyle also notes that there are no real obvious panel gap issues either. Coleton shares that his own personal Tesla Model 3 also came from the factory in pretty impressive condition.
– While they find that the paint is within an acceptable range of thickness, and pretty consistent across the car’s panels, there’s an area on the hood at the passenger side that’s strangely inconsistent, and Coleton doesn’t have a good explanation for it, though it’s similarly inconsistent on his Model 3, which shows thicker measurements than the Model S.
TESLA PRODUCING MODEL Y LONG RANGE IN TEXAS: TWO PRODUCTION LINES?
– The Tesla Model Y Long Range is the cheapest Model Y shown on the automaker’s website, with a starting price of $65,990. That gets you all-wheel drive, 330 miles of EPA-estimated range, and a sub-5-second zero-to-60-mph time.
– Meanwhile, the new Model Y Standard Range also comes standard with all-wheel drive. It seems Tesla is currently only offering it to existing reservation holders who live near the Austin factory. It started at $59,990 at launch, though reports now suggest the price has increased to $61,990. The version has 279 miles of electric driving range.
– According to several reports shared by Drive Tesla Canada, Tesla has already notified various customers that their Model Y Long Range is being prepped for delivery, and the VINs are specific to the new factory in Austin.
– several of the reservation holders have reported that they weren’t offered the opportunity to switch to a “4680 Model Y.” Instead, they’re simply going to receive the Model Y they originally ordered, though it seems it will come from the Texas factory rather than Fremont
– We have no way of knowing for sure that the Texas-built Model Y Long Range uses 2170 battery cells. However, we assume Tesla isn’t using the new 4680 cells and structural pack in this version of the Model Y.
TESLA CANCELS MODEL Y PERFORMANCE DELIVERIES IN GERMANY OVER DEFECTS
– Tesla Model Y Performance (MYP) reservation holders in Germany received notice that their deliveries were canceled or delayed due to defects in some vehicles.
Reservation holders from Germany started reporting Model Y Performance cancellations on Saturday, June 25, through the TFF Forum. Model Y Performance delivery cancellations began on Saturday. Tesla is expected to inform more reservation holders of delivery cancellations this week.
– Tesla rescheduled most of the canceled Model Y Performance deliveries for mid-July. However, some MYP reservation holders received new delivery dates that stretched out later into the year between August to November 2022.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-berlin-model-y-deliveries-defect/
WILLIAMS ADVANCED ENGINEERING SHOWCASES HIGH PERFORMANCE BATTERY
– Williams Advanced Engineering (WAE) will showcase its industry-leading high performance battery technology at The Battery Show Europe from 28-30 June, in Stuttgart.
– Visitors to the WAE stand in Hall 8, stand F50, will have the opportunity to examine an example of the company’s innovative Adaptive Multi-Chem advanced battery pack, together with the Triumph Motorcycles TE-1 prototype demonstrator.
– Triumph’s first zero emission prototype demonstrator motorcycle – the battery pack for which delivers a peak power of 130kW and continuous power of 90kW, with a capacity of 15kWh – will also be on display.
– The 360-volt system also enables a fast-charging time of under 20mins (0-80%).
BEIJING DANGLES CASH TO DRIVE NEW-ENERGY VEHICLE SALES
– China’s capital city is offering subsidies for purchases of new-energy vehicles to replace old cars, the latest attempt by local authorities to boost consumption in a slowing economy.
– The financial aid provided by the city of Beijing ranges from 8,000 yuan ($1,196) to 10,000 yuan for qualified buyers who scrap or resell cars owned for more than a year, among other conditions, the local commerce bureau said in a statement Sunday.
– The capital city’s move follows similar measures announced by Shanghai late last month that also involved raising a cap on car ownership and cutting a purchase tax for some passenger vehicles.
BATTERY-SWAP SECTOR RAMPS UP AS NEV OWNERS SEEK ALTERNATIVE
– A growing number of companies are moving into the battery swapping segment with new models and services. The companies vow to offer electric car owners a quicker and easier way to dispel their anxiety over mileage restrictions
– Dozens of models, from carmakers including Nio, BAIC and FAW, are now capable of battery swapping.
– The architecture adopts a unified battery that offers different packs ranging from 50 kilowatt-hours to 100 kWh.
– Nio, a New York-listed EV startup, has built more than 900 stations for battery swapping vehicles.
– Nio plans to set up more than 1,300 battery-swap stations by the end of this year and add 600 more stations annually between 2022-25 in China, it said.
Unlike Nio, BAIC’s battery swapping models are mostly taxis. They spend time on the road so charging is not an optimum choice, the carmaker said.
– Chinese battery giant CATL is exploring the market as well. Last week, its battery swapping service, called Evogo, became available in Hefei, Anhui province.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT