Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 27th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new Patreon supporter Roger3592
MCMURTRY ELECTRIC RACER BREAKS GOODWOOD HILLCLIMB RECORD
– The innovative McMurtry Spéirling, a 200mph electric single-seater that looks a little bit like the Batmobile, has shattered the Goodwood Hillclimb record. Designed and built in Gloucestershire, the radical machine uses two underbody fans that literally suck it to the road, allowing it to corner faster than rivals.
– In its second appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the McMurtry Spéirling was entered into the timed Sunday Shootout event to race against the clock on the challenging 1.16-mile course – with plenty of speculation if it could eclipse the record of 39.16 seconds set by Romain Dumas in the electric Volkswagen ID R.
– during the Sunday Shootout Chilton steered the McMurtry up the hill in a remarkable 39.08 seconds. For some context, Chilton crossed the line travelling at a frankly ridiculous average speed of 149.1mph.
– Keen to maximise the Spéirling’s efficiency, McMurtry saw underbody fans not only as a way to boost the car’s grip levels in corners but to reduce weight and drag by dispensing with the need for a heavy rear wing, the way downforce is traditionally generated.
– To save energy they could also be switched off on straights sections of track where downforce is not required, whereas a wing would remain in place. Removing the wing would also allow the Spéirling to be more aerodynamic, helping to boost its performance and driving range.
– a lightweight carbonfibre body and an enclosed cockpit, can sprint from 0-186mph in less than nine seconds, exceed 200mph and operate at GT3 levels for 30 minutes.
MCMURTRY SPIERLING: GOODWOOD HILLCLIMB RECORD HOLDER TO HIT THE ROAD
– The McMurtry Spierling is more than just power however. The tiny proportions of just 1.1 metres tall, 3.5 metres long and 1.7 metres wide, coupled with a carbon-fibre body, give it a sub 1,000kg kerbweight. The advanced fan car aerodynamics produce 2,000kg of downforce, allowing it to put all that power down efficiently, while the lack of weight means McMurtry is aiming for over 300 miles of range on a charge.
– McMurtry has also claimed it has plans for the Spierling to become a road-legal car. The firm says it is “perhaps the wildest electric car to ever wear number plates”. We imagine the production numbers will be limited and that the price tag will rival the most expensive hypercars on sale. The aggressive aero may be toned down for road versions, however.
VOLKSWAGEN UNVEILS ID. AERO CONCEPT
Volkswagen Group unveiled its ID. AERO concept in China on Monday — slated to serve as the inspiration behind the automaker’s flagship EV, and first-ever global all-electric sedan, next year.
A version of the Volkswagen ID. AERO concept will go into production for the Chinese market in the second half of 2023. The automaker hasn’t announced a price but said the sedan will deliver an estimated range of up to 385 miles based on the European WLTP test cycle.
The car is geared toward China’s fastest-growing segment: young, first-time car buyers. As such, the ID. AERO’s sporty silhouette flaunts a wide body and coupe-style rear three-quarter design and a hair-raising drag co-efficient of .23.
Volkswagen also designed the ID. AERO to cater to this segment’s desire for luxury on a mass market budget, using high-end headlights, LED taillight clusters and a high-gloss black roof to create a luxury feel.
Volkswagen has previewed its long-awaited Tesla Model 3 rival with a sleek, low-slung concept called the ID Aero.
Based on Volkswagen’s MEB platform, the new four-door model is planned to go on sale in China during the second half of 2023, with production initially set to take place at Volkswagen joint venture partners FAW (First Automobile Works) and SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) in the cities of Changchun and Shanghai respectively.
Autocar has been told the ID Aero will take the ID 6 saloon name in production, positioning it alongside the Chinese-market-only Volkswagen ID 6 SUV at the head of the ID line-up.
Dimensionally, it is longer than the existing 4767mm-long Passat. The wheelbase, meanwhile, is said to stretch to close to 3000mm.
To make way for production of the ID Aero in Emden, Volkswagen plans to relocate production of the next-generation Passat to a Skoda-run factory in Kvasiny, Czech Republic, where it will be produced alongside the next Skoda Superb.
VOLKSWAGEN HALTS ID. BUZZ PRODUCTION IN HANOVER
– Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has halted ID.Buzz production in Hanover for initially one week. There are quality problems with the battery. According to information from electrive, the battery cell is from a new supplier, so only the Hanover plant is affected and no other MEB plants.
– As local paper Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung writes, some cell modules seem to fall short of the target performance. The result is voltage drops, which reduce the vehicle’s range and may also negatively impact the service life. The company confirmed that they had found deficiencies during quality checks by the supplier, but provided no further details.
– Since the start of production earlier this month, VW Commercial Vehicles manufactured about 500 ID.Buzz vehicles but has not yet delivered to customers. The supplier of the battery cells was already working on the problem, VWCV said.
– A spokesperson for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles confirmed to electrive.net that only the ID. Buzz is affected – although other MEB models in the ID.3, ID.4 and ID.5 series with a battery with 77 kWh of usable energy content are also on offer. “It is a new battery cell from a different supplier that is currently only used in the ID.Buzz,” the spokesperson said. “Therefore, only the production in Hanover is affected, but not other locations.”
$12,500 FEDERAL EV TAX CREDIT PROPOSAL REPORTEDLY DROPPED
– The current $7,500 federal tax credit for electric vehicles is supposed to make electric cars more affordable for consumers. Last year, President Joe Biden and congressional Democrats looked to increase the amount consumers could receive to purchase an EV with the Build Back Better legislation. Under the plan, the amount would go from $7,500 to $12,500.
– Bloomberg spoke with Senator Joe Manchin who confirmed that the proposed federal tax credit for electric vehicles has disappeared. “It’s gone,” Manchin said in an interview.
– Not only was Manchin opposed to the proposal, but Toyota, Honda, and Tesla all voiced their opposition to the proposal.
– As Bloomberg reports, Manchin openly criticized the proposal, claiming that it was “ludicrous.” The Senator believes the $12,500 federal tax credit would subsidize a product that has an extensive waiting list. Instead, Manchin wants to incentive hydrogen vehicles.
– While the $12,500 federal tax credit proposal is gone for good, at least for now, consumers can still receive the $7,500 tax credit on electric cars.
EXCLUSIVE: AFTER PRESSURE FROM TOYOTA CHIEF, JAPAN EMPHASIZED SUPPORT FOR HYBRIDS
– Toyota Motor Corp’s (7203.T) chief lobbied the Japanese government to make clear it supported hybrid vehicles as much as battery electrics or face losing the auto industry’s support, a senior lawmaker told a ruling party meeting.
– The lobbying by Akio Toyoda, president of Toyota and chairman of the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) industry group, comes as the automaker has faced increased scrutiny from green investors who say it has been slow to embrace battery-electric vehicles and pressed governments to slow a transition to them
– Akira Amari, a former industry minister and a veteran member of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), requested changes to the government’s annual economic policy roadmap at a June 3 meeting, saying he had spoken with Toyoda a day earlier
– The final version of the document included a reference to “so-called electric-powered vehicles” and appeared to put fossil-fuel burning hybrids on equal footing with zero-emission battery vehicles
– “I spoke with Chairman Toyoda yesterday and he said that JAMA cannot endorse a government that rejects hybrids,” Amari told the policy meeting of LDP lawmakers, according to the notes and audio.
– Use of synthetic fuel, such as from hydrogen, would make hybrids “100% clean energy” cars and the policy document should make that explicit, Amari said.
– “If we don’t say that hybrids are included in the category of electric vehicles, that won’t look good,” he said, adding that a reference to electric-powered vehicles should be changed to “so-called electric-powered vehicles”.
– A Toyota spokesperson referred Reuters to JAMA.
– Energy and climate think-tank InfluenceMap has rated Toyota the worst among major automakers for its lobbying record on climate policy, which includes public statements and interaction with governments.
TOYOTA CEO LEANS ON JAPAN TO SOFTEN EV PUSH AS IT RECALLS ONLY EV ON SALE
– Japan’s government has specifically eyed a ban by 2035 on new sales of ICE-powered cars, in line with the goals of the European Union and the state of California. Toyoda was already on the record opposing that potential ban and in 2020 told the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) that, “the current business model of the car industry is going to collapse” if legislators phased out gasoline cars too rapidly.
REDUCING AIR POLLUTION IMPORTANT FOR HEALTHY BRAIN DEVELOPMENT IN CHILDREN
– A new study finds that having a portable air cleaner in the home can reduce the negative impacts of air pollution on brain development in children.
– Simon Fraser University researchers collaborated with U.S. and Mongolian scientists to study the benefits of using air filters to reduce exposure to air pollution during pregnancy, and assessed the impact on children’s intelligence.
– The women were less than 18 weeks into their pregnancies and non-smokers who had not previously used air filtering devices in their homes. They were randomly assigned to either the control or intervention group. The intervention group was provided with one or two HEPA filter air cleaners and encouraged to run the air cleaners continuously for the duration of their pregnancies.
– The researchers later measured the children’s full-scale intelligence quotient (FSIQ) at four years of age
– children born to mothers who had used the air cleaners had an average FSIQ that was 2.8-points higher than the group that did not use an air cleaner during pregnancy.
– “These results, combined with evidence from previous studies, strongly implicate air pollution as a threat to brain development,” says Ryan Allen, professor of environmental health in SFU’s Faculty of Health Sciences. “But the good news is that reducing exposure had clear benefits.”
– Children in the intervention group also had significantly greater average verbal comprehension index scores, which is consistent with results from previous observational studies. The research suggests that a child’s verbal skills may be particularly sensitive to air pollution exposure.
GEPLANTES EU-VERBOT FÜR VERBRENNER: KOALITION SUCHT AUTO-KOMPROMISS
– The traffic light coalition is negotiating a compromise on the planned EU-wide phase-out of the internal combustion engine from 2035. Representatives of the responsible ministries are currently working on a deal so that the federal government can approve the plan in Brussels, but at the same time the FDP can record a political success.
– According to a plan by the EU Commission, the core of which has also been approved by the European Parliament, from 2035 onwards only cars that no longer emit CO₂ will be registered in the entire EU.
– According to SPIEGEL information, a compromise proposal from a green ministry that is currently being negotiated is that, as planned, combustion engines will no longer be permitted after 2035. For all cars with internal combustion engines that are then still registered and drive, a certain admixture quota of synthetic fuels could be examined.
– The FDP has long been promoting so-called e-fuels, i.e. synthetic fuels produced with the help of electricity that are not obtained from fossil oil.
– For the Greens it would be painful because e-fuels are comparatively inefficient, you need much more electricity for the same distance compared to an electric motor.
– If the Greens in the coalition are not ready for a reasonable compromise, Germany must abstain from the EU.
AUDI BOSS DEFIES GERMAN GOVERNMENT OVER COMBUSTION STANCE
– it was with some surprise – and relief, for many enthusiasts – that German officials announced their rejection of the 2035 ban this week. One might’ve thought that Germany’s leading automakers wouldn’t mind some more time to fully electrify their lineups, but Audi’s CEO seems to think otherwise.
– Markus Duesmann is clearly not on the same page as German Finance Minister Christian Lindner. Instead, Duesmann seems to think the 2035 combustion ban is a good thing and that Audi is on track to electrify its fleet by this date.
– “Our plan for phasing out combustion engine technology is in place,” said Duesmann. “From 2026, Audi will only launch all-electric vehicles on the market.”
– Duesmann stressed that “an accelerated energy transition, a much faster expansion of the charging infrastructure and a sufficient supply of battery cells was necessary.” He emphasized that the transition to electromobility was “important.”
LABOR DISCOUNT PLAN TO BRING DOWN COST OF ELECTRIC CARS TO TAKE EFFECT ON JULY 1
– Some electric vehicle models should become cheaper from July 1, with the Albanese government confirming it will honour a promise to provide exemptions from certain federal taxes from the start of that month.
– The Driven has confirmed that the Albanese government intends to fulfil its promised “Electric Vehicle Discount” policy, which will provide exemptions to certain import tariffs and fringe benefits taxes, with effect from 1 July 2022.
– The import tariff levies a 5 per cent tax on cars brought to Australia from overseas manufacturers, adding thousands to the cost of a new vehicle.
– The import tariff exemption won’t benefit all electric vehicle models, as car imports from several countries are already exempt under free-trade agreements, but it should help cut the cost of vehicles imported from Japan, South Korea and most of Europe.
– The fringe benefits tax applies to vehicles provided by employers for their employees’ personal use and attracts a 47 per cent tax rate on the financial benefit of the arrangement.
Labor said that the fringe benefits tax exemption could cut the effective cost of electric vehicles by as much as $12,000 – and should have flow-on benefits for the second-hand EV market.
TESLA PARTNERS WITH CALIFORNIA UTILITY ON VIRTUAL POWER PLANT
– Tesla and California utility PG&E launched a new program that will pay eligible Powerwall owners to send extra electricity to the grid when it’s vulnerable to blackouts. Working together, the Powerwalls create a “virtual power plant” that can help keep the lights on during emergencies or energy shortages.
– By signing up, Powerwall owners will receive $2 for every additional kilowatt-hour they feed to the grid during designated “events” when the grid is under a lot of stress. That includes any time the California grid operator, CAISO, issues an energy alert, warning or emergency.
– Tesla started a similar beta program with PG&E and a couple of other utilities last July, but that was a voluntary program with no payouts. Now, with a monetary incentive to entice participants, the program could grow large enough to become a significant backup energy source in California — and a clean one at that.
NORWAY: TESLA MODEL Y ENTERED A HIGHER SALES GEAR IN JUNE
– After two slower months, Tesla is making a big splash in Norway this month with high volume deliveries of the Model Y.
– close to 2,000 new Tesla Model Y were already registered so far this month (as of June 25), which is almost two times more than the number of Volkswagen ID.4 registrations.
– the trio of Volkswagen ID.4 (1,016), Skoda Enyaq iV (799) and Audi Q4 e-tron (328) noted a total of 2,143 units so far this month. That’s more than the Tesla Model Y.
– The Tesla Model 3 noted just 14 units. The top six for the period of January 1 – June 25 are: Tesla Model Y – 5,607 Volkswagen ID.4 – 4,174 Skoda Enyaq iV – 2,896 Hyundai Ioniq 5 – 2,722 BMW iX – 2,614 Audi Q4 e-tron – 2,587
NO HYBRIDS FROM BMW CONFIRMED IN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
– BMW’s Vice President of Customer, Brand, and Sales says there is no plan for the German firm to pursue hybrid motorcycles, instead focusing on internal combustion and electrification.
– “The hybrid solution has always been an important step, but it has always been an in-between step,” Dr Alexander Wehr told MCN. “We can see on the car side that the trend is towards fully electric.
– “On motorcycles there is no upside of a hybrid drivetrain, if you can have an electric drivetrain,” the BMW man continued. “We will keep pursuing both internal combustion engines and electric, and they both fit very well – not only to scooters but to motorcycles.”
Original Source : https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2022/june/no-hybrids-bmw/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT