Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 25th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Matthias Schmidt on Twitter: “ #Porsche has now delivered more pure electric Taycan models in their own domestic German market in the past three years (>10K) – since launch – than #Tesla delivered of its Model S during the past 10 years (9.3K).
Original Source : https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1540809843912613889
PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CARS IN EUROPE ON TRACK FOR ONE IN FOUR CARS SOLD
– For the 11th consecutive month, the registration of new plug-in electric passenger cars across Western Europe continued to account for over 20% of the total market.
– The new data in from Schmidt Automotive Research means Europe is on track to finish 2022 with an EV market share above 25%, counting full battery electric vehicles (BEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV).
– The total number of plug-in passenger cars registered over the first five months of 2022 reached 878,000 units, up on the 777,700 recorded during the same period in 2021 – made up of 500,000 purely-electric BEVs with the remainder PHEVs.
– a “pull-forward in sales is potentially inflating the German plug-in market this year” which accounts for 28% of the total West European plug-in market, due to the fact that purchase subsidies are expected to be cut in 2023.
– Volkswagen says it has an order backlog of 300,000 BEVs for the West European region and is gearing up for a significant push during the second half of the year once the company’s Hanover and Emden plants begin to ease the pressure on orders for the ID.Buzz and ID.4.
EV PRICE HIKES? NOT FOR CADILLAC LYRIQ
– Cadillac has opened orders for the 2024 model year of its all-electric Lyriq SUV. That means the door is now closed for getting the debut 2023 car that the brand expects to begin delivering to buyers in the coming weeks. Executives said no price hike will be associated with the new model, even as rivals Tesla, Rivian and others have recently announced dramatic increases due to the rising cost of producing electric vehicles.
– Cadillac is set to deliver the first batch of vehicles to Lyriq buyers by early July. Initial deliveries will consist of the 340-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive Lyriq Debut Edition. Those models retailed for $59,990 (including the destination charge) when preorders opened in May.
– Soon after, the automaker will build the standard 2023 Lyriq (the Luxury trim) priced from $62,990, followed by the 500-horsepower, all-wheel-drive 2023 Lyriq for an additional $2,000.
– The launch of the Lyriq was moved forward by nine months from its original launch date, said Kristin Lewis, marketing manager for the Lyriq. The accelerated timeline means 2023 Lyriq models will miss out on some features, such as a head-up display, that will otherwise be available on 2024 models. The hands-free driving assist feature known as Super Cruise is also missing
– Rear-drive models will be priced from about $60,000 including destination, while all-wheel-drive models cost about $64,000 to start
TESLA PUTS 8 SUPERCHARGER STATIONS INTO OPERATION IN CHINESE MAINLAND
– Tesla put eight new Supercharger stations into operation in the Chinese mainland in May, including 30 V3 Superchargers covering eight cities, according to information the company announced today.
– To date, Tesla has opened more than 1,100 Supercharger stations in the Chinese mainland, including more than 8,600 Superchargers.
– It also has more than 700 destination charging stations in the Chinese mainland, offering more than 1,800 charging piles.
TESLA ENHANCED AUTOPILOT AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES AND CHINA
– Tesla Enhanced Autopilot is available in the United States and China.
– In the United States, Enhanced Autopilot costs $6,000. Meanwhile, in China, Enhanced Autopilot costs RMB ¥32,000 ($4,779). The features included in Enhanced Autopilot are Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon.
– Following the release of Enhanced Autopilot in New Zealand and Australia, Elon Musk hinted that Tesla would consider re-releasing Enhanced Autopilot in other countries.
– Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD) costs $12,000 and offers all the functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot plus traffic Light and Stop Sign Control.
WITH IN-WHEEL MOTORS, LIGHTYEAR CLAIMS MOST EFFICIENT PRODUCTION POWERTRAIN IN THE WORLD
– The Lightyear 0 solar-assisted electric car will use in-wheel motors from Slovenia’s Elaphe as part of what Lightyear claims will be the most efficient powertrain in any production car.
– Lightyear announced the partnership with Elaphe earlier this month, claiming in a press release that the two companies work together to achieve “world-class efficiencies” from Elaphe’s motor design. Lightyear is far from the only company aiming to use in-wheel motors, but most others consider them beneficial because they free up space within a vehicle’s footprint.
– Lightyear aims to “leapfrog the grid” by both maximizing efficiency and equipping its vehicles with onboard solar panels that can help with charging. In cloudy climates, with an average commute of roughly 20 miles per day, the Lightyear 0 can go up to two months without plugging in, Lightyear claims.
– Starting at the equivalent of $263,000, the Lightyear 0 will be built in Finland by Valmet Automotive, with motors supplied from Elaphe’s facilities in Slovenia. European deliveries are scheduled to start in November, but Lightyear hasn’t confirmed plans to expand to other markets.
GENESIS GV70 MAKES ITS EUROPEAN DEBUT AT GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED 2022
– The eagerly anticipated Electrified GV70 is the third electric car to be launched by the brand this year, following on from the GV60 and Electrified G80, and was unveiled on the Genesis stand at the world famous British automotive event today
– As with our other SUV models, it retains exceptional versatility and usability, as well as unrivalled comfort and driving pleasure. As the third new electric car from Genesis to be launched in Europe in under a year, Electrified GV70 is further evidence of the brand’s bold ambitions for the region”.
– Electrified GV70 can be viewed by visitors on the Genesis stand, where it’s joined by the brand’s range of vehicles, including the Electrified G80, GV80 SUV, G70 Shooting Brake, and GV60.
BRIGHTON WELCOMES ELECTRIC VEHICLE RALLY FROM LONDON
– DOZENS of innovative electric vehicles will line the seafront this weekend, as the London to Brighton rally gets underway.
– More than 75 different modes of electric transport will make the trip from Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens in London tomorrow, arriving in Madeira Drive later in the day.
– Ther event tomorrow will see solar-powered cars, self-builds, and even an electric plane following the route to the city.
– It is the second time the electric vehicle rally has been held, after last year’s event was an “unprecedented success”.
– “The aim of the event is to demonstrate and celebrate the rapid development of electric vehicles and renewable energy technology and have a fun day in the process.
– There will be interactive stands, live music, and displays from leading electric vehicle companies, as well as a test track.
HOW EVS ARE THE NEW FRONTIER OF CHINA’S RURAL ECONOMY
– In June 2022, China announced a broad campaign in which 26 automakers will create incentives for people in rural China to buy electric vehicles (EVs). Car manufacturers will be encouraged to work on sales incentive programmes, in collaboration with e-commerce platforms, to generate offline car sales in rural areas and lower-tier cities.
– To put all these into context, China views the EV development as strategically important to transform its automobile industry. First of all, car ownership in big cities in China already reached a saturation point and thus needs a breakthrough.
– Rural populations are especially sensitive to the price tag of new energy cars. In fact, millions of low-speed “mini electric cars” are already sold in China each year, which can cost as little as $1,500. They mostly run on cheap lead-acid batteries, instead of much pricier lithium battery, and they don’t need drivers’ licence for people to operate.
– China has by far the largest number of publicly available charging poles, but the existing stations are concentrated in the top-tier cities.
– The dilemma is that greater access to charging stations will help accelerate the adoption of new energy vehicles in rural areas, but building charging stations currently is unprofitable until more of the rural population buys them.
– As part of the country’s rural revitalization efforts, China expects to equip all counties with charging stations and all villages with charging poles.
WAIT TIMES FOR LUXURY EVS STRETCH TO 18 MONTHS IN SINGAPORE
– After waiting for almost a year, Lim Swee Hoe was ecstatic when his $340,000 Porsche Taycan finally arrived in Singapore last month.“It was definitely worth the wait,” said the 56-year-old managing director, his eyes twinkling with pride at the white electric vehicle parked in the garage of his semi-detached home.
– Electric vehicles accounted for 8.4% of all new car registrations in the first five months of the year — double the level for all of 2021 and 20 times higher than 2020. But just as a government push has seen demand for cleaner cars finally take off, global supply chain snarls are lengthening wait times and threatening to push prices even higher.
– Across Southeast Asia, countries are gearing up for mass electrification, from Thailand’s government trying to slow the sale of gas guzzling cars, to Indonesia planning a slew of incentives for electric-car manufacturers and drivers.
– Singapore is expected to lead the region in new EVs as a percentage of all vehicle sales, with at least one-third of all cars sold on the island forecast to be electric by 2030
DTE EVENT PUTS CUSTOMERS BEHIND WHEEL OF EVS
– In addition to the Hummer, a Chevrolet Bolt, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford F-150 Lightning, Polestar 2, Volkswagen ID. 4, Rivian R1T and two Teslas, the Model Y and S, were available for drives along a route that circled through Corktown and back to the headquarters building off Bagley.
– DTE told customers about the event through email, inviting them to sign up for time slots over two days, Saturday and Sunday, but into Saturday afternoon, there had been a number of no-shows, so getting to drive wasn’t an issue. The company said 320 people signed up.
– The initial high demand for slots, however — about 450 people tried to sign up for this weekend — prompted DTE to plan an additional event for July 23.
– Milena Marku, manager of EV strategy and programs at DTE, said the EV ride and drive program launched in 2019 but had to be put on hold because of COVID-19. This weekend’s Detroit event marks the first rides for the program this year.
– The estimate for charging overnight on the DTE rate plan geared toward EV users equates to less than $1 per gallon of gas, according to the company. For regular unleaded gasoline, the average price per gallon as of Saturday was $5.07 in Michigan and $4.91 nationwide, according to AAA.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT