Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 25th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BMW BRILLIANCE PLANT LYDIA INAUGURATED
– The BMW Group has expanded its production footprint in China with the opening of Plant Lydia in Shenyang, China. This major expansion of the BMW Brilliance Automotive (BBA) production base is a latest example of the BMW iFACTORY strategy
– Plant Lydia is the biggest single investment project in the history of the BMW Group in China. Located in the Tiexi District of Shenyang, the plant has all the four major production processes (press and body shop, paint shop, and assembly) and increases annual production capacity at the Shenyang
production base to 830,000 units
– Plant Lydia is fully flexible to produce up to 100% electric vehicles. The production of the all new BMW i3 – BMW’s first all-electric mid-size sports sedan for the Chinese market – started at Plant Lydia in May.
– The BMW Group has set a goal of reducing carbon emissions through the entire lifecycle per vehicle by 40 percent by 2030 compared to 2019, which includes an 80 percent carbon reduction at the production level. Therefore, the concept of sustainability is also reflected in Plant Lydia.
– By the end of 2025, the BMW Group expects to have delivered more than two million pure electric vehicles worldwide, with one in every four new vehicles sold in China being a pure electric model. By that time, BMW’s “Neue Klasse” models, which represent the next technological leap forward in car development, will also be brought to market. The new plant Lydia and its neighboring plants in Tiexi and Dadong will play an important role in accelerating production of BMW electrified vehicles in China.
Original Source : https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0401453EN/bmw-brilliance-plant-lydia-inaugurated:-digitalization-empowered-vehicle-plant-sets-new-standards-for-future-oriented-vehicle-production
VW CHATTANOOGA OFFICIALS MULL BATTERY OPTIONS AS ELECTRIC VEHICLE ASSEMBLY TO START
– As Volkswagen Chattanooga’s assembly of its first electric SUV is imminent, officials said the automaker is weighing options of how to secure all the batteries it will need in the years ahead.
– The VW official, speaking to journalists at the plant this month, said the Chattanooga factory’s supply is coming from SK Innovation’s new battery factory in Northeast Georgia.
– The South Korean company has more than 1,300 people working at its $2.6 billion Commerce, Georgia, facility and expects to have 3,000 workers on board by the end of 2023. SK has contracts with Volkswagen and Ford for its batteries.
– VW dealers are clamoring for the ID.4 SUV that the Chattanooga plant will start producing this summer.
– Chris Glover, Volkswagen Chattanooga’s president and chief executive, said to journalists that as ID.4 production ramps up, the plant already has put in more than 75,000 hours of training
– a new 223,000-square-foot battery pack assembly facility “the jewel” of the automaker’s EV capacity in Chattanooga. That’s where the battery cells are packaged and made ready for the vehicle assembly line.
That facility has 78 employees working two shifts, along with 89 robots, he said.
– The Chattanooga plant is hiring 1,000 more employees before year’s end to produce the new ID.4 as the company adds a third shift in the biggest hiring surge since the facility started production in 2011.
TESLA SUED BY FORMER EMPLOYEES OVER ‘MASS LAYOFF’
– Former Tesla Inc employees have filed a lawsuit against the U.S. electric car company alleging its decision to carry out a “mass layoff” violated federal law as the company did not provide advance notice of the job cuts.
– According to the suit, more than 500 employees were terminated at the Nevada factory.
– The workers allege the company failed to adhere to federal laws on mass layoffs that require a 60-day notification period under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, according to the lawsuit.
– Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the world’s richest person, said earlier this month he had a “super bad feeling” about the economy and that Tesla needed to cut staff by about 10%, according to an email seen by Reuters.
REPORT: MADE-IN-TEXAS TESLA MODEL Y USABLE BATTERY CAPACITY IS 67.1-67.5 KWH
– The Made-in-Texas (MIT) Tesla Model Y from the Tesla Giga Austin plant is equipped with Tesla’s latest 4680-type cylindrical battery cells, but the pack capacity has not been officially revealed.
– With the first batches already delivered, more and more reports come in with new estimates of the battery capacity.
– results from the Tessie app, which estimates that the usable capacity is 67.1 kWh.
– Unfortunately, the measures still do not allow us to draw any conclusions, because, besides the uncertainty of estimations, Tesla might simply not allow using the entire potential of the 4680-type batteries yet. The question is also what is the total battery capacity – it might be above 70 kWh, assuming a few kWh buffer.
CARMAKER STELLANTIS TO TAKE 8% STAKE IN LITHIUM SUPPLIER VULCAN
– Stellantis will invest 50 million euros ($52 million) to buy a 8% stake in miner Vulcan Energy Resources, becoming its second largest shareholder and extending to 10 years a supply agreement for climate-friendly lithium.
– Vulcan, a German-Australian start-up, is one of a number of companies testing a direct lithium extraction (DLE) method that uses less land and groundwater, making it more sustainable than the most-common open-pit mines and brine evaporation ponds.
– Stellantis Chief Executive Carlos Tavares said on Friday the deal was part of the automaker’s strategy to form strong relationships with partners amid a collective effort to fight global warming and provide clean, safe and affordable transport.
REFRESHED 2023 NISSAN LEAF EV’S NEW PRICE IS JUST AS NICE
– The 2022 Nissan Leaf was priced at $28,375—a figure $4,245 lower than it was in 2021—and the ’23 model sees that MSRP edge up to $28,895
– , great news for those looking for a very affordable electric vehicle where you only need 149 miles of total range, so long as you don’t mind hunting for a CHAdeMO fast charger while out and about.
– The bad news comes from dropping the S Plus trim for the new SV Plus and its 60-kWh battery pack. Stepping up into the larger battery costs $3,520 more than buying the 2022 S Plus trim, as the SV Plus is priced at $36,895.
– a great price for an EV that gets you 212 miles, but that total mileage is starting to seem a little low when compared to a similarly priced Chevrolet Bolt 2LT, which only runs $29,795 but gets over 250 miles on a full charge.
– Nissan scrapes back some points, of course, is in the $7,500 Federal EV tax credit
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-nissan-leaf-ev-price-msrp/
GM ADDS PLUG AND CHARGE TO ULTIUM CHARGE 360 PROGRAM
– General Motors (GM) has announced that it is adding Plug and Charge capabilities to its Ultium Charging 360 network of charge providers across North America and across its line of Bolt, Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq EVs.
– drivers with an EVgo account will be able to utilize the convenience of Plug and Charge before GM expands the technology to additional charging networks across its Ultium Charge 360 family.
– This move expands on a previous collaboration between the two companies that began in 2020, in which EVgo would provide 2,750 fast chargers across the US. In November of 2021, the parties announced an additional 500 DCFCs totaling 3,250 “Ultium ready” chargers through 2025.
– Plug and Charge streamlines the EV charging process for customers. Drivers with an EVgo account, active OnStar connected services and the GM brand app for their vehicle perform a one-time activation of Plug and Charge within the app. Once activated, they can simply plug in the charging cable and energy will start to flow to their vehicle — no additional steps needed.
The kicker in the story is that a GM car owner will be required to subscribe to OnStar in order for the Plug-and-Charge feature to work. According to the Detroit News, the subscription cost for OnStar is $24.99 per month. So for $300 per year, they can Plug-and-Charge. I own a Bolt EV (as well as a Tesla Model 3) but I think I’ll pass.
In the My Chevy app (I’m using Android, but would think it would be on iOS too), then I went to the “Energy” tab (which is on the bottom of the app on my screen. Once you have the energy screen, you tap the elipses (three dots) on the top right and select Public Charging Services.
It shows me two options, EVGo (with Charge by App and Plug and Charge) and ChargePoint (with only Charge by App). I selected EVGo and I think I chose to enable both of those. Then it asked me to activate and I had to log in using my EVGo account info. Once I did that, it shows activated.
GRIDSERVE & MOTO OPEN ANOTHER TWO ELECTRIC SUPER HUBS
– Gridserve and Moto, a British motorway services operator, have opened two new ultra-rapid charging hubs in the UK. Calling these stops Electric Super Hubs, the sites at Moto Severn View and Heston are offering six and eleven High Power Chargers respectively, and form part of a network of hubs.
– Nationally, Moto and Gridserve say they have gone live with six sites this year which feature 53 new high-powered EV charging points in total. The Moto sites with Electric Super Hubs are as follows: Moto Rugby (12 chargers), Moto Swansea (6 chargers), Moto Exeter (12 chargers), Moto Burton in Kendal (6 chargers), Moto Thurrock (12 chargers), and the two new sites, Moto Severn View (6 chargers) and Moto Heston (11 chargers).
ŠKODA BUILDING 100 HIGH POWERED CHARGERS FOR PRAGUE
– Together with Prague and the energy company PRE, ŠKODA AUTO is becoming one of the signatories to the memorandum on cooperation in the construction of charging infrastructure in the capital. In it, all parties committed themselves to building 100 high-performance HPC chargers by the end of 2025
– By the end of 2025, 100 high-performance HPC chargers should be built in the capital city of Prague. In this way, approximately 200 charging points are created, each with a power of at least 150 kW. All will be compatible with both Powerpass and Chargee platforms and will make a significant contribution to meeting the goals of the Prague Climate Plan, which envisages at least 10,000 public charging stations in Prague by 2030
THE AMAZING ELECTRIC CARS OF GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED 2022
– BMW i7The BMW i7 is the latest i model to join the ranks, taking electric into the realms of luxury. The most interesting thing about this car is actually in the back seat, where there’s a 31.3-inch display that folds down from the roof. Powered by Fire TV, it turns the backseat into a mobile cinema.
– Hispano Suiza Carmen
– Polestar 5.
– Rimac Nevera
– Lotus Evija
– Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo
– The Mustang by Charge Cars
– Lotus Eletre
Renault 5 Prototype
– Lucid Air
– Mercedes Vision AMG
– Fisker Ocean
– Rivian R1T
– Kia e-Niro
– Genesis GV60
LIME PILOTS ELECTRIC SCOOTER WITH COMFORT FEATURES AND LONG-DISTANCE CAPABILITIES
– Mobility company Lime has started testing an all-electric scooter with long-distance capabilities and a top speed of 20 mph, which it intends to introduce to its fleet soon.
– The Citra is specifically designed to offer long-distance rides thanks to the comfort it provides of an e-bike and the smoothness of a scooter. The Citra also has a swappable battery that is regularly charged by the company’s operations team. Given that it is specifically designed for comfort, it comes with a phone holder, a button horn, and turn signals. These features facilitate the easy operation of the bike while offering the rider the utmost comfort.
OATLY GOES ELECTRIC WITH NEW MILK TRUCKS
– Green technology is low hanging fruit for companies with a progressive ethos. The latest example is Oatly, the world’s largest oatmilk company, expanding a partnership with leading electric freight company Einride.
– The partnership will bring electric trucks to Oatly’s North American operations after seeing success in Europe for the past two years.
– The pace of Oatly’s adoption of electric, which comes on the heels of successful implementation in Europe, is also noteworthy, emphasizing the value-add the brand sees in being a leader in carbon-free shipping. Oatmilk is inherently less taxing for the planet than traditional dairy operations, a point Oatly displays prominently in its marketing and messaging.
– The company estimates that utilizing a fleet of five trucks in the US will save Oatly an estimated 400,000 kg of CO2 over the next year
– Oatly operates four electric trucks across various routes in the region. In Sweden, Oatly operates 24/7 live transports between its production facilities and warehouse partners.
ARRIVING IN 2024: THE WORLD’S LARGEST HYBRID SHIP
– French shipping company Brittany Ferries has commissioned the world’s largest hybrid ship for its future fleet, the company announced this week, marking another milestone in the industry’s route to decarbonization. The 639-foot Saint-Malo will be operational in 2024 and replace one of their older models on a route from St. Malo, France, to Portsmouth, England. A second hybrid ship will enter the fleet shortly thereafter.
– The Saint-Malo will have a battery with an 11.5 megawatt hour (MWh) capacity, which Brittany Ferries says is about double the size of most hybrid marine vessels on the water today. Wärtsilä, a Finnish technology group, is creating the ship’s hybrid propulsion system that can draw on both liquified natural gas and battery power to run.
– The ships themselves will also be upgradeable; the builder, Stena Roro, plans to leave room on the vessels for renewable updates, such as larger batteries or solar power.
Original Source : https://www.popsci.com/technology/large-hybrid-ship-saint-malo/
DANISH E-FERRY SETS NEW WORLD DISTANCE RECORD
– The pioneering Danish e-ferry Ellen has racked up another record, becoming the world’s longest-range fully-electric ferry by sailing 50 nautical miles (92 kilometers) on a single battery charge.
– In service since 2019, the vessel operates between the Danish islands of Ærø and Fynshav. Designed by Jens Kristensen Consulting Naval Architects and built by the Søby Værft shipyard, the ferry is just under 60 meters long with a breadth of approximately 13 meters. It operates at speeds of 12-12.5 knots, and is capable of carrying 198 passengers in summer months, with this capacity dropping to 147 during winter. It can also carry 31 cars or five trucks on its open deck.
– With a 4.3 MWh capacity battery pack, it is the first electric ferry to have no emergency back-up generator on board.
– The Ellen’s latest record was set after the vessel was showcased at the seventh annual International International Energy Agency (IEA) Global Conference on Energy Efficiency, held this year in Sønderborg, Denmark. The 50 nautical mile record was set on her return from the conference.
NO PETROL, NO CARS: CUBANS SWITCH TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– There is a new sight on the streets of Havana: increasing numbers of electric vehicles whizzing among the old American cars so emblematic of the Cuban capital
– As fuel shortages and US sanctions take their toll, and even though electricity generation can be spotty, Cubans are turning to smaller, cheaper, plug-in alternatives.
– By far the majority of cars in circulation in Cuba are American models from the 1950s—before sanctions started—and compact Ladas from the Soviet era.
– The quadricycle Gonzalez bought, by comparison, can be obtained for between $4,000 and $8,000 and though slower, can get four or five people from Point A to Point B.
– Also increasingly popular are electric motorbikes—of which there are an estimated 40,000 to 50,000 in Cuba—and three-wheelers all the more frequently seen dragging a carriage full of passengers or goods.
– In a once-abandoned Soviet-era truck factory in the central city of Santa Clara, about 100 workers of the company Minerva assemble electric vehicles with parts imported from China or Vietnam. The objective for 2022 is to produce 10,000 electric motorbikes
– At the same time, fuel shortages have worsened since the US reinforced its six-decade-old economic blockade of the communist island in 2019, preventing the arrival of fuel tankers from Venezuela, a Cuban ally.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT