Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 24th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
KIA EV6 GT ON THE START LINE AT GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
– The Kia EV6 GT starts its weekend of high-speed hillclimbs today at the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed (23-26 June). The all-electric high-performance crossover is tackling the Festival’s famous hillclimb several times throughout this weekend
– It is also Kia’s most powerful production car to date. Based on Kia’s advanced Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), its all-electric dual-motor powertrain delivers 577 bhp (585 PS) and 740 Nm torque. Perfect for Goodwood’s famous hillclimb, these credentials enable the EV6 GT to accelerate from 0-to-62mph in just 3.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 162 mph (260 km/h).
– The car also features a GT button on the steering, activating its ‘GT’ mode. This automatically optimises the vehicle’s e-motors, braking, steering, suspension, e-LSD and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems for their most dynamic settings for a more engaging drive.
Original Source : https://www.kiapressoffice.com/en-gb/releases/1468
TESLA EXPANDS AVAILABILITY OF NEW TEXAS-BUILT MODEL Y AND RAISES THE PRICE
– Tesla has expanded the availability of its new Texas-built Model Y by adding units to new inventory, and it raised the price of the brand-new electric SUV.
– the new Texas-built Model Y Standard starts at $59,990, has a 0-60 mph acceleration in five seconds, and is equipped with a few new features, including a magnetic center console armrest and a parcel shelf.
– Tesla has now started adding the Texas-built Model Y to its new car inventory with a few units popping up at a few locations around the US:
– We also noticed that Tesla has now raised the base price of the new Texas-built Model Y from $59,990 to $61,990.
– all we know about it was through an EPA filing that revealed it has 279 miles of range and an all-wheel-drive powertrain. It is billed as a “Model Y Standard Range AWD.”
TOYOTA, SUBARU SHARES DROP ON “EMBARRASSING” RECALLS OF FIRST EVS
– Toyota Motor shares slipped after it recalled some of its first mass-made all-electric cars, launched two months ago, because of a risk of wheels coming loose, a setback to its ambitions to electrify its model range.
– Toyota, the world’s largest automaker by sales, said on Thursday it would recall 2,700 bZ4X SUVs globally.
– Subaru Corp, in which Toyota has a nearly 20% stake, also said it was recalling about 2,600 units of the Solterra, a related model.
– Japan’s safety regulator said sharp turns and sudden braking could cause a hub bolt to loosen, raising the risk of a wheel coming off the vehicle
– Once a favourite with environmentalists for its popular hybrid Prius model, Toyota has come under fire for not acting quickly enough to phase out gasoline-powered cars and for its lobbying on climate policy.The company has repeatedly pushed back against the criticism, arguing the necessity to offer a variety of powertrains to suit different markets and customers.
– Japan changed a key policy document to show its support for hybrids was on par that for with BEVs after a lawmaker cited the head of Toyota saying automakers could not back a government that rejected the technology popularised by the Prius, Reuters reported on Friday.
THE CITROËN MY AMI BUGGY SOLD OUT IN UNDER 18 MINUTES
– The Citroën My Ami Buggy has sold out, and it only took 17 minutes and 28 seconds. Every single reservation for the tiny Citroën EV was spoken for within minutes, with a limited production run of 50 electric cars.
– A total of 1,800 customers expressed their interest in the My Ami Buggy, and were vying for their chance to own the off-road themed Buggy. Citroën notes the first My Ami reservation came in just shy of 3 minutes after sales went live on the microsite. And 15 minutes later, they were all gone.
– Citroen UK’s managing director Eurig Druce has said previously that there’s “every conceivable chance we could see future versions of My Ami Buggy on sale in the UK” if customer interest is there. Don’t forget it took some lobbying to get the regular Ami to come to the UK, too.
– The most obvious visual cue that you’re looking at the Buggy version is the removal of the Ami’s doors, in favour of metal tubing. A detachable soft-top also features – a nod to the Citroen Mehari – which can be rolled up and stored behind the two seats. The chunky off-road tyres of the concept version have been replaced though, with new 14-inch steel wheels finished in gold taking their place.
– No technical details or prices have been announced, but the model almost certainly uses the same powertrain as the regular Ami, utilising a 5.5kWh battery for a maximum range of 46 miles on a full charge, and a top speed of 28mph.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE MAKER POLESTAR ANNOUNCES CARPLAY SUPPORT
– Volvo-backed electric vehicle maker Polestar today announced that the latest over-the-air update for the Polestar 2 adds CarPlay support, allowing iPhone users to conveniently access commonly used apps from the dashboard, complete with Siri control.
– The addition of CarPlay in the Polestar 2 is interesting given that the vehicle’s infotainment system is powered by Android Automotive, which is a full-stack operating system running directly on the in-vehicle hardware. Android Automotive is not to be confused with Google’s similarly-named CarPlay competitor Android Auto.
– Polestar said the over-the-air software update is rolling out to customers incrementally, and noted that the update is also available for installation at Polestar workshops. It’s unclear when the rollout will be completed.
Original Source : https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/22/polestar-apple-carplay-support/
TUNEIN ANNOUNCES INTEGRATION WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANUFACTURER RIVIAN
– TuneIn partners with electric adventure vehicle manufacturer Rivian, which will integrate TuneIn into models like the R1T – the first fully electric truck to hit the market and 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year – to give drivers access to TuneIn’s full menu of live and on-demand radio, sports, news, music, and podcasts from around the world.
– TuneIn’s existing supported auto partners include Tesla, Volvo, Polestar, Mercedes, JLR, and all Alexa-supported car audio systems.
GERMAN FINANCE MINISTER CALLS FOR ENDING E-CAR SUBSIDIES, CARMAKERS PROTEST
– German finance minister Christian Lindner has called for ending government subsidies for all electric cars. “We simply cannot afford misguided subsidies anymore,” the head of the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) told Welt am Sonntag, according to a Zeit report. “These cars have so far been subsidised over their lifetime with up to 20,000 euros, even for top earners. That is too much. We can save billions there, which we can use more sensibly,” Lindner said, adding he would rather support citizens with a tax reform.
– The Association of International Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (VDIK) said abolishing the subsidies would constitute a “severe breach of trust” given that both carmakers and their clients counted on continued support payments, reports business daily Handelsblatt.
– Germany’s government plans to end subsidies for plug-in hybrids, which have been widely criticised for not being sufficiently environmentally friendly
CATL LAUNCHES CTP 3.0 BATTERY
– CATL released more details on its new module-less battery packs called Qilin, which are expected to be mass produced and come on the market in 2023.
– There are a lot of things to like in this CTP (cell-to-pack) technology.
– The VCTP (volumetric cell to pack) ratio is 72 %, which is the percentage of the total battery pack volume dedicated to the active material that actually stores energy (cells), leaving 28 % of the total volume to the passive material, responsible of assembling and protecting the cells. For comparison, the popular BYD Blade battery had an estimated VCTP ratio of 62,41 % when released.
– CATL will use multiple metal plates between the cells multiplying the heat transfer surface area by 4, making the TMS (Thermal Management System) very fast and efficient in heating or cooling the battery. This will not only enable to heat the battery in just 5 minutes when there are freezing temperatures, but also cool down the battery so it can be charged at a constant 4 C-rate and only take 10 minutes from 10 to 80 %.
– CATL claims that the NCM packs will enable a range of 1.000 km, probably in China Light-Duty Vehicle Test Cycle (CLTC), which is around 782 km in WLTP.
– Imagine an efficient electric car with a 60 kWh LFP battery that can be charged at a constant 240 kW rate, do you really need more battery capacity?
Original Source : https://pushevs.com/2022/06/23/catl-launches-ctp-3-0-battery/
CHINA CONSIDERS EXTENDING ELECTRIC-CAR EV TAX EXEMPTIONS, STATE TV SAYS
– Shares of Chinese automakers jumped after state television reported Wednesday evening that the government may extend tax exemptions on electric-car purchases in a bid to boost the auto sector.
– The central government is considering extending exemptions by about 200 billion yuan ($30 billion), state television reported, citing a State Council meeting chaired by Premier Li Keqiang.
– Policies such as waiving taxes would aim to bolster demand for new energy vehicles and stimulate the used-car market, according to the CCTV report.
– Government subsidies introduced in 2009 to help the EV industry are already being withdrawn and are due to be phased out completely next year. An exemption on the 10% EV-purchase tax is set to expire at the end of 2022.
TESLA DRIVES CHINA EV EXPORT REBOUND; EUROPE ABSORBS BIG CHUNK OF THE SHIPMENTS
– China’s shipments of cars rebounded in May, with electric vehicle exports more than doubling, as COVID-19 lockdowns gradually ended.
– Automakers in China shipped $1.2 billion worth of electric passenger vehicles, up 122 percent from a year earlier and almost triple the level in April, when car factories in Changchun and Shanghai such as those run by Tesla were shuttered or barely open.
– Tesla shipped more than 22,000 cars overseas last month, after exporting only 60 in March and none in April, when it halted assembly due to the lockdown in Shanghai, where its factory is based.
– The biggest market is Europe, which took nearly half of shipments in May and about three-quarters of electric car exports, with much of the rest going to Asia.
– China made up almost 60 percent of global exports of EVs in 2021 and the trend continues in 2022, although Tesla’s new factory in Europe may slow exports from China
COMING SOON: EV AND BATTERY SOLD SEPARATELY
– Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath says automakers may soon split the cost of their EVs from the cost of the batteries — akin to buying a laptop and paying more for a bigger hard drive.
– “You could imagine a scenario where, ‘This is the price of the car, and then here’s the battery price on top of the car,'” Ingenlath tells Axios.
– “The customer has to be aware that, at some point, it doesn’t make much sense to put another 100 km here and another 100 km range there,” Ingenlath says.”We are now in the 1,000 km range. At some point, it gets ridiculous.”
– Bottom line: “We should at some point look at the charging infrastructure and how you charge a car.”
ROME TO CUT DOWN ON ELECTRIC SCOOTERS
– With Rome, the next European capital is planning to reduce the number of electric kick-scooters. After Oslo already reduced the number of electric scooters in the city from almost 25,000 to 8,000, Rome plans to allow only 9,000 of the small electric vehicles in future.
– The current limit of electric scooters in Rome stands at 14,500, but the measures will not stop there: additionally, the city plans to reduce the number of rental companies from seven to three. Also, the rules for electric kick-scooters are to be tightened up.
THIS NEW ABB FACILITY WILL PRODUCE ONE DC FAST CHARGER EVERY 20 MINUTES
– ABB announced the official opening of its new DC fast charger production facility in Valdarno, Italy, which is also the company’s largest.
– The 16,000 m2 ABB E-mobility Centre of Excellence represents an investment of $30 million and will enable the production of a full range of ABB DC charging solutions (including the latest Terra 360) at an unprecedented scale.
– The company says that the new state-of-the-art manufacturing site sets a new benchmark for the sector, producing one DC fast charger every 20 minutes. With seven production lines, the facility will have an output of more than 10,000 DC chargers per year.
– the DC fast charging business is finally hitting a mass scale level, which is highly needed to support mass electrification. With high manufacturing output, manufacturers should be able to lower the unit cost as well as improve quality and reliability.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT