Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 23rd June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD SELECTS PLANT IN SPAIN TO BUILD ‘BREAKTHROUGH’ EVS
– Ford Motor Co’s electric vehicle plans are not just limited to the U.S. In Europe, Ford is also gearing up to build more electric models for the local market.
– The automaker announced on Wednesday that it selected its assembly plant in Valencia, Spain as the site where it will assemble “breakthrough” electric and connected vehicles built on a next-generation EV architecture. Ford says its new EV architecture will be a critical component of its all-electric future in Europe. The Valencia plant could begin producing electric and connected vehicles beginning later this decade.
– In addition to the new EV plant in Spain, Ford is also moving forward with a $2 billion investment to retool its Cologne, Germany factory to begin producing electric passenger vehicles. Ford plans to make Germany the headquarters of its European EV business and the site of its first electric vehicle production in Germany. Ford’s state-of-the-art Cologne Electrification Center will start vehicle production in 2023.
ELECTRIC SUPERVAN DEBUT
– Ford Performance-developed versions of market-leading Ford commercial vehicles are set to take the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed by storm
– the all-new Ford Pro Electric SuperVan – the company’s first all-electric SuperVan – will be revealed for the first time.
– The new SuperVan, which will be on display at the event’s main paddock between hillclimb runs, has been developed to showcase the extremes of performance and productivity-accelerating connectivity made possible by a new generation of electric Ford Pro products. Ford will reveal further details surrounding the new all-electric demonstrator – the latest in a legendary series of crowd-thrilling, high-performance SuperVans stretching back more than 50 years – on June 23.
XPENG HALTS P5 RESERVATIONS IN EUROPE, CITING EXPORT TIMELINE ISSUES
– XPeng announced that it has suspended all P5 reservations and pre-orders in four European countries and will shift its focus to the P7 sedan, citing foreseeable export timeline issues.
– This setback regarding the P5 does not affect its long-term strategy in Europe or its intention to establish a local presence in the countries where it currently operates, an XPeng spokesperson told CnEVPost, adding that the automaker is shifting to encouraging European consumers to book the P7 sedan.
– “As we are all aware, the global supply chain issues have been impacting the automotive industry for many months. Many auto brands had to adjust their production and delivery timeline — as well as pricing — in order to mitigate these challenges and uncertainty,” said the XPeng spokesperson.
“We expect some of these challenges will persist. Our latest assessment is that the previously indicated delivery time for the P5 in Europe may no longer be achievable, as a result of some of these challenges,” the spokesperson said.
– XPeng launched its strategy to enter overseas markets in 2020, with Norway as the first stop, and opened direct stores in Sweden, the Netherlands, and Denmark in February this year.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE RAW MATERIAL COSTS DOUBLED DURING PANDEMIC
– Raw material costs for electric vehicles more than doubled during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new report Wednesday by AlixPartners, forcing automakers from General Motors and Tesla to start-ups like Lucid and Rivian to significantly raise prices on new vehicles.
– Average raw material costs for an EV totaled $8,255 per vehicle as of May, up 144% from $3,381 per vehicle in March 2020, led by materials such as cobalt, nickel and lithium – all essential for the production of batteries used to power electric cars and trucks. EV-specific costs have increased to $4,500 from roughly $2,000 in the past two years, according to AlixPartners.
– Ford Motor CFO John Lawler last week said rising commodity costs have wiped out the profit it initially expected to make on its electric Mustang Mach-E. While the vehicle was profitable when it was first launched in late 2020, he said that’s no longer the case.
VISION EQXX BREAKS OWN EFFICIENCY RECORD ON 1,202 KM SUMMER ROAD TRIP
– The Mercedes-Benz VISION EQXX beats its own efficiency record in real-world driving with another 1,000 km+ journey on a single battery charge. Following its record-breaking maiden drive from Stuttgart to Cassis (France) in April, the research vehicle set the bar even higher, with a 1,202-kilometre road trip from Stuttgart to Silverstone in the UK.
– After negotiating an autobahn closure and demanding cross-country diversion near Stuttgart, the VISION EQXX crossed the French border near Strasbourg then cruised across northern France at highway speeds to Calais, where it boarded the Eurotunnel. Continuing its journey in the UK, it took the M25 around London then stopped off at Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix in Brackley.
– The VISION EQXX then carried on to Silverstone, where it was welcomed by special guest driver Nyck de Vries.
– The Dutchman, who races for the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team, opted not to go easy on the research vehicle, taking it up to its maximum speed limit of 140 km/h on the iconic British race track. Making the most of the occasion, he completed 11 laps, using the last of the charge on the pit lane. Throughout the road trip, the VISION EQXX took advantage of its innovative thermal management system to achieve an average consumption of 8.3 kWh/100 km in the face of heavy traffic and summer temperatures.
– The exceptional efficiency of the electric drive unit means it generates only minimal waste heat. This helps keep the thermal management system extremely small and lightweight. The carefully engineered interaction of aero-shutters, coolant valves and pumps ensures the electric drive unit maintains the most efficient temperature balance at minimum energy cost. It encompasses a combination of innovative air-flow management and a cooling plate installed in the vehicle floor, enabling it to take advantage of the air flowing along the underside of the VISION EQXX. This is the most aerodynamically efficient way of keeping the electric drive unit cool under normal conditions, allowing an increase in range of around two percent in the most aerodynamic mode.
– Following a brief recharge, the VISION EQXX continued on its way to HPP headquarters in Brixworth 33 kilometres away for an overnight stop, refresh and full recharge in preparation for its next outing this weekend at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Original Source : https://mercedes-benz-media.co.uk/en-gb/releases/1489
POLESTAR 5 ELECTRIC 4-DOOR GT TO DEBUT NEW ELECTRIC POWERTRAIN
– Polestar is showing a development prototype of the Polestar 5 in public for the first time at the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed (23-26 June). Polestar 5 is a high-performance electric 4-door GT with proper sports car credentials, and the production evolution of the Precept concept car first shown in 2020.
– The UK team has taken the opportunity of working with a new mechanical platform to design and develop a unique bonded aluminium chassis, a prime factor in delivering the vehicle dynamics signature to create a driving experience that is as desirable as the design.
– In Sweden, development of a new top-of-the-line electric powertrain is ongoing. A new rear electric motor will provide superior output, along with 800-Volt architecture. Combined with a high-output front electric motor, the complete dual motor powertrain aims to deliver 650 kW (884 hp)
– Polestar 5 will run up the iconic Goodwood hill twice daily during the event in the “First Glance” group. The car is planned for launch in 2024 and is the third of three new EVs expected to be launched by Polestar in the coming three years, following the Polestar 3 and Polestar 4 electric SUVs.
Original Source : https://media.polestar.com/global/en/media/pressreleases/654288
ELETRE, EMIRA, EVIJA: ULTIMATE THREE-CAR GARAGE FROM LOTUS
– One of the world’s most eagerly anticipated performance cars, the Lotus Eletre hyper-SUV, will make its world debut in public later this week at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
– Goodwood also marks the public premiere of the ultimate three-car garage from Lotus, as the Eletre will be joined on stage by the beautiful Emira sports car and the pioneering Evija hypercar – a whole new generation of Lotus performance road cars. And creating a four-car family will be the Emira GT4
– The Emira GT4 will be in the thick of the action on the iconic Goodwood Hill Climb on Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday, as will the Emira and Evija. And look out for Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button, who will be behind the wheel and on the Lotus stand at selected times during the event.
– The Eletre is 4WD, has a battery capacity that’s over 100kWh and with power range from 600hp to 900hp. A 350kW charger will deliver a 400km (248 miles) range in just 20 minutes. The car’s target maximum WLTP driving range is circa 600km (373 miles). It also comes with the ability as standard to accept 22kW AC charging which, where available, reduces the time plugged in.
THE NEW MG5 EV DEBUTS AT GOODWOOD
– MG Motor UK has announced its attendance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where it will offer visitors the chance to be among the first to see the new MG5 EV.
– First seen on the all new ZS EV launched in November 2021, the new MG5 EV will also come equipped with Vehicle-To-Load (V2L) capability, meaning users can power other electric devices using the energy stored in the battery, such as e-bikes, portable heaters or camping equipment.
– The new MG5 EV has also received interior design and technology upgrades, including a 10.25’’ widescreen infotainment system with upgraded software, and is now capable of supporting iSMART connected car functionality through MG’s dedicated smartphone app.
HONDA STARTS CONSTRUCTION OF ANOTHER ELECTRIC CAR PLANT IN CHINA
– The Chinese joint venture GAC Honda has started construction of a new electric car plant in Guangzhou, Guangdong province. In addition, GAC Honda’s electric SUV e:NP1 has gone on sale in China.
– the plant will have an annual capacity for 120,000 electric cars and is scheduled to start production in 2024. However, the start of construction in June is later than planned: China Automobil News had reported in August 2021 that construction was to start in October.
– but it will only be electric cars. Honda, through its joint ventures with GAC and Dongfeng, plans to bring ten e-models to market by 2027.
– GAC Honda will have a production capacity of 890,000 vehicles in 2024; together with the 840,000 units of Dongfeng Honda, the Japanese manufacturer will have a total of 1.73 million vehicles in China. This sum already includes the pure electric car plant that Honda announced together with joint venture partner Dongfeng at the beginning of this year. It should also be possible to build up to 120,000 electric cars per year in Wuhan from 2024.
NISSAN TO SUPPLY FORMULA E GEN3 POWERTRAINS TO MCLAREN RACING
– Nissan and McLaren Racing announced today a multi-year technical collaboration, which will commence at the beginning of the 2022/23 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship season.
– With McLaren Racing confirming its participation in the sport from Season 9 of the all-electric series, the partnership will see the Japanese automaker supply its Nissan EV powertrain technology to the famous British team for the entirety of the Formula E Gen3 era.
– This new agreement with McLaren is in addition to Nissan’s direct involvement in the highly anticipated Gen3 homologation of the sport.
NEW ELECTRIC RENAULT MEGANE E-TECH PRICED AT £35,995 IN UK
– Renault’s new Megane E-Tech electric SUV is now available to order with prices starting at just under £36,000. The first customer examples of the family car, which is a rival to the Peugeot e-2008 and Citroen e-C4 and has a range of up to 280 miles on a single charge, are due to arrive in the UK later this year.
– The newcomer will be offered in a choice of three different trim levels, with the £35,995 starting price paying for the entry-level Equilibre model. That comes with 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights and black fabric upholstery, as well as air conditioning, a heated steering wheel and heated front seats.
– The range is topped, meanwhile, by a special Launch Edition variant that’s exclusive to the UK. That too gets 20-inch alloy wheels and a “gold F1 blade” in the bumpers, as well as a Harman Kardon sound system and a 3D “around-view” manoeuvring camera system.
– 215 bhp electric motor with a 60 kWh battery that offers a range of up to 280 miles on a single charge. The battery can be recharged at up to 130 kW – fast enough to add up to 186 miles of driving range in 30 minutes
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/593219/renault-megane-electric-price-uk/
VOLKSWAGEN ANHUI SEES FIRST BODY-IN-WHITE VEHICLE ROLL OFF LINE
– The first body-in-white (BIW) vehicle rolled off the production line at Volkswagen Group’s MEB factory in Hefei city, the capital of Anhui province, marking major progress in the trial production of the first new energy vehicle (NEV) model manufactured by the factory, according to Volkswagen (Anhui) Automotive Company Limited (“Volkswagen Anhui”).
– The Hefei-based plant features a designed production capacity of 350,000 vehicles annually when facilities become fully operational, expecting to see the first mass-produced vehicle roll off the assembly line this year and start volume production in the second half of 2023.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70020682.html
FORGET RANGE ANXIETY: STUDY SUGGESTS NON-EV DRIVERS UNDERESTIMATE CAPABILITIES
– Between longer-range EVs and increased charging infrastructure, the reasons for range anxiety are decreasing. But not everyone believes that, according to a new University of Geneva study.
– Published in the journal Nature Energy, the study of 2,000 drivers in the United States and Germany found that many drivers chronically underestimate EVs’ ability to meet their daily needs.
About 30% of respondents mistakenly believed an EV battery pack lacked the capacity to cover their daily-driving habits, according to the study.
– Researchers found that 90% of trips could be completed in vehicles with 200 kilometers (124 miles) of range—well within the capabilities of most current EVs. Even a base Nissan Leaf with the smaller 40-kwh battery pack boasts an EPA-rated 149-mile range, while the Chevrolet Bolt EV has 259 miles of range. And these aren’t exactly high-end models.
– MIT researchers even declared range anxiety overblown in 2016. Yet it seems a different kind of psychological barrier may be emerging.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT