Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 21st June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
MEET THE FIRST BUYER OF THE F-150 LIGHTNING
– Nick Schmidt was at home when he got the call he had been waiting on for months.
– Schmidt had ordered the electric version of Ford’s F-150 as soon as it was announced in May of last year. And more than a year later, his F-150 Lightning was finally ready to be picked up.
– It was a big moment for Schmidt, but maybe an even bigger one for Ford. This wasn’t just any F-150 Lightning – it was the very first one to be delivered to an actual buyer.
– When Schmidt first climbed into his new F-150 Lightning, it felt familiar right away: It had the same look and feel of his gas-powered F-150.
– Schmidt isn’t new to pickup trucks – he lives on a family farm in Standish, Michigan, a town of about 1,500 residents.
– His family owns all kinds of pickup trucks – Ford F-150s, 250s
– Schmidt, though, was familiar with electric cars. He works in clean energy and already owns a Tesla, but he had been waiting for an electric truck to replace his beloved gas-powered F-150.
– He says the Lightning is just as powerful and dependable as his conventional F-150. He’s already used it to haul dirt and lumber around, as well as to tow his Airstream.
Original Source : https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1104920656/ford-electric-f150-lightning-electric-vehicles-automakers?t=1655890021194
2023 HYUNDAI IONIQ 6 TO DEBUT ON 14 JULY
– The next big thing on the EV scene from Hyundai is called the Ioniq 6. The zero-emissions saloon was teased earlier this month and a new report indicates it will make its global debut on 14 July this year during the Busan Motor Show. The information doesn’t come from the automaker itself but from TheKoreanCarBlog
– The Ioniq 6 was supposed to debut in March or April but last-minute changes to some of its components forced Hyundai to delay the launch. Word on the street is Hyundai Chairman Chung Eui-sun personally asked for the tweaks to be made before the electric saloon is ready to hit the market. The changes reportedly include modifications to the front and rear bumper for a more aerodynamically-optimised shape and extra range at a single charge. In the United States
– Internally known as the project CE, the Ioniq 6 will follow a design philosophy inspired by the Prophecy concept from 2020. The automaker describes it as an “Electrified Streamliner”
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/592881/2023-hyundai-ioniq-6-debut-rumours/
GOING ELECTRIC COULD MEAN CHEAPER PARKING FROM NEXT YEAR
– The owners of electric cars and hydrogen-powered cars could pay lower parking fees from 2023 to stimulate clean car use,
– Amsterdam is currently the most expensive place to park, charging up to €568 a year in the city centre, while towns like IJsselstein in Utrecht and Valkenburg in Limburg have free parking, with a permit.
– Reducing parking tariffs for clean cars will be ‘an extra tool for local councils to combat pollution and cut down on traffic noise in their town or village,’
– The measure does not apply to hybrid cars or fuel-efficient cars
– 300,000 out of the Dutch fleet of nine million cars are considered emission free.
Original Source : https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/06/going-electric-could-mean-cheaper-parking-from-next-year/
VW TARGETS ANNUAL OUTPUT OF 130,000 ID. BUZZ EVS FROM HANOVER
– As production of the ID. Buzz and ID. Buzz Cargo started earlier this month at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ flagship plant in Hanover, Germany, the automaker has released some interesting manufacturing numbers.
– Over the course of this year, the company plans to increase the factory’s daily production from 810 vehicles to a total of 900 (ID. Buzz, ID. Buzz Cargo, Multivan and T6.1 combined), with the goal of producing a total of around 15,000 ID. Buzz models in 2022. In the future, there are plans to build up to 130,000 units per year at VWCV’s main plant.
– With the start of ID. Buzz series production, the VWCV plant in Hanover is now the fourth German production site for vehicles of the ID. family, after Zwickau, Dresden and Emden.
– VW says around 4,000 employees at the Hanover plant trained to produce the ID. Buzz while also assembling Multivan and T6.1 vans—all three vehicles based on three different platforms are partly manufactured on the same line.
– The first deliveries of ID. Buzz and ID. Buzz Cargo vehicles to customers in Europe will take place this autumn.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/593161/vw-targets-annual-output-130000-id-buzz-evs-hanover/
VOLVO ENERGY INVEST MILLIONS INTO BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE COMPANY
– Volvo Energy is investing close to SEK 50 million ($4.91 million) for a 10% stake in the UK-based second-life battery energy storage company Connected Energy.
– Volvo Energy says this investment aims to facilitate the scaling-up of second-life battery energy storage systems and further secure circular business opportunities for the forthcoming ramp-up in Volvo Group’s second-life battery returns.
– By repurposing the batteries, Volvo will obtain the full value from them – from a climate, environment, and business perspective
Original Source : https://www.environmentalleader.com/2022/06/volvo-energy-invest-millions-into-battery-energy-storage-company/
NORWAY CONSIDERS CUTTING EV ADVANTAGES
– The Norwegian public road administration ‘Statens vegvesen’ has put the removal of some advantages for electric cars in road traffic into play. The considerations are part of a plan to reduce car traffic in Norway as a whole.
– the authority outlines how car traffic as a whole can be further reduced by removing preferences for e-cars. After all, it says, the benefits for electric cars are one of the reasons why public transport use is still low compared to the years before the Covid 19 pandemic.
– according to the proposal are the right to drive electric cars on bus and taxi lanes and the toll benefits for e-cars. Specifically, the toll (currently 50 per cent of the price of internal combustion cars for electric cars) is to be increased to 70 per cent, according to the authority. From 2025, all types of drives are then to pay the same amount – provided that only emission-free new cars are registered then.
– Norway’s government announced in its supplementary budget that it would abolish the VAT exemption for electric cars costing more than 500,000 kroner (equivalent to just under 49,000 euros at present) as of 1 January 2023.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/06/20/norway-considers-cutting-ev-advantages/
ABB POSTPONES PLANNED IPO OF E-MOBILITY BUSINESS
– ABB Ltd. said Monday that it has postponed the listing of its e-mobility business due to tough market conditions.
– The Swiss technology company said its plans to proceed with the initial public offering in the second quarter had been challenged by recent market conditions.
– “Consequently, ABB is monitoring market conditions and is fully committed to proceed with a listing of the business on the SIX Swiss Exchange as and when market conditions are constructive,” it said.
Original Source : https://www.morningstar.com/news/dow-jones/202206201064/abb-postpones-planned-ipo-of-e-mobility-business
CHINA’S BYD OUTSELLS TOP FOUR EV RIVALS COMBINED THIS YEAR
– China’s electric vehicle maker BYD is growing sales at such a furious pace that it is closing on FAW-Volkswagen to become the top carmaker in the country.
– grew sales by almost 257% year-on-year in May to 113,768 units as the nation’s shift away from combustion engine vehicles accelerated.
– BYD’s sales surged almost 350% to more than half a million during the first five months, more than its top four EV rivals – GAIC-GM-Wuling, Tesla, Chery, and GAIC – combined.
– Its Song model dominated the list of top 10 SUVs of all types, outselling Tesla’s Model Y in the same period.
– While legacy car makers are still burdened with the transition from internal combustion engines to batteries, BYD is benefitting from its singular focus on EVs. In April, the company retired its ICE product lines after selling minuscule numbers.
– BYD has withstood the production disruptions due to Covid lockdowns better than its rivals because it can ride on its supply chain
– Meanwhile, BYD has embarked on a fresh spree to build battery plants and is in talks to sell some components to rivals like Tesla
Original Source : https://www.asiafinancial.com/chinas-byd-outsells-top-four-ev-rivals-combined-this-year
NIO TO LAUNCH A NEW MASS-MARKET
– NIO aims to launch a new EV brand offering even more affordable vehicles to better compete against the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y in the China market, said CEO and chairman William Bin Li,
– The sub-brand will have an annual capacity of 500,000 electric vehicles a year.
– The new brand’s models would be priced between 200,000 yuan ($29,840) and 300,000 yuan ($44,750), which is around 10% cheaper than Tesla’s Model 3 in China. The vehicles will also have swappable battery packs
– NIO’s new mass-market EV brand would provide the models that take on Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y in China, but will be around 10% cheaper with swappable battery packs. Deliveries of vehicles under NIO’s new mass-market brand would begin in the second half of 2024, according to Gasgoo.
– The vehicles will be built on NIO’s new NT3.0 electric vehicle platform
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5471/EV-Startup-NIO-to-Launch-a-New-Mass-Market-Brand-to-Rival-Tesla-with-an-Annual-Capacity-of-500000-Vehicles-a-Year
NIO’S 2022 ES8, ES6 AND EC6 OPEN FOR ORDER IN CHINA
– NIO’s 2022 ES8, ES6, and EC6 are officially open for ordering today, after they were announced at last week’s ES7 launch event.
– Configurators for the three NT 1.0 platform-based SUVs are now available in the NIO app, and interested Chinese consumers can already start choosing the options according to their preferences.
– For individual consumers who purchase these three SUVs now and have them delivered within 2022, they will continue to receive a purchase subsidy of RMB 11,340 for the 75-kWh pack and RMB 12,600 for the 100-kWh.
– Under current Chinese policy, models priced above RMB 300,000 are not eligible for the national purchase subsidy, but battery swap-enabled models such as the NIO vehicles are not subject to this restriction.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/06/20/nios-2022-es8-es6-and-ec6-open-for-order-in-china-deliveries-expected-to-begin-in-august/
CHINESE EV MAKER NIO TO MANUFACTURE BATTERY SWAP STATIONS IN EUROPE
– Nio has announced that the company will be coming up with a manufacturing plant in Europe where it will be producing battery swap stations for the overseas market.
– The key reason behind the move is that the company wants to avoid exporting costs from China. Nio will be manufacturing Battery Swap Stations (BSS) and Charging Piles in Europe
– The CEO also said that Nio wants to achieve 1,300 Battery Swap Stations across the world by the end of 2022 and a manufacturing plant in Europe is important for this.
Original Source : https://www.saurenergy.com/ev-storage/chinese-ev-maker-nio-to-manufacture-battery-swap-stations-in-europe
GASGOO DAILY: ORA GOOD CAT GT 401KM TRIM HITS MARKET
– ORA’s 2022 Good Cat GT 401km range trim hit the market on June 17th. The model comes in four new interior theme colors and a more urban-appropriate configuration. The model is priced at RM149,000 ($22,245).
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/m/70020652.html
TESLA LIFTS PRICE ON MODEL Y LONG RANGE IN CHINA
– Tesla raised the price of the Model Y Long Range trim in China, in line with the EV maker’s significant price lift in the US issued a few days earlier.
– Model Y Long Range trim saw an RMB19,000 ($2,840) hike in price, resulting in a current price of RMB394,900 ($58,960). On the other hand, the price of the Model Y Long Range was boosted from $62,990 to $65,990 in the US.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70020645.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
QOTW is taking a break for a while.
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT