Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 11th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
GLOBAL PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CAR SALES INCREASED 38% IN APRIL 2022
– Global passenger plug-in electric car sales increased in April, but the growth continues to slow down due to various factors, including parts supply constraints and COVID-19 lockdown in China.
– 542,732 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in April, which is 38% more than a year ago. Market share amounted to about 10.2%, including 7% for all-electric cars
– So far this year, more than 2.5 million new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered globally, compared to almost 6.5 million in the twelve months of 2021.
– The top selling models in April were the Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV (27,181), BYD Song PHEV (20,181) and Tesla Model Y (18,948), followed by the Tesla Model 3 (15,071)
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/590184/global-plugin-electric-car-sales-april2022/
VOLKSWAGEN LOOKS TO BUILD NEW EV FACILITIES IN THE U.S., EXEC SAYS
– Volkswagen is “actively” looking to establish new assembly and battery facilities in the U.S., Volkswagen of America CEO Scott Keogh told CNBC on Wednesday.
– Keogh declined to discuss potential locations for such operations. The German automaker’s electrification efforts are currently based in Tennessee, including localized production of the VW ID.4 crossover EV, which is set to begin later this year.
– Such facilities, whether new or expansions, would mean a significant decision and likely billions of dollars in new U.S. investment for VW, which currently has North American assembly plants in Tennessee and Mexico.
– Keogh’s comments followed the grand opening of the German automaker’s new $22 million electric vehicle battery lab, which is located near its sole American assembly plant in Chattanooga. It’s part of a $7.1 billion commitment to boost its EV efforts in North America.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/08/volkswagen-looks-to-build-new-ev-facilities-in-the-us-exec-says.html
LIGHTYEAR SAYS ITS $263,000 SOLAR-POWERED CAR WILL GO INTO PRODUCTION LATER THIS YEAR
– EV startup Lightyear revealed its first solar-powered electric vehicle, dubbed Lightyear 0, at an event this week in the Netherlands. The vehicle, which Lightyear describes as production-ready, has 388 miles of range, 44 miles of which are derived from solar power alone.
– The Lightyear 0 is the product of six years of research and development from its engineering team. That said, it doesn’t look too dissimilar from the sleek sedan prototype first revealed by the company in 2019. The specs are a little more down to earth: 388 miles versus the prototype’s 450 miles
– The Lightyear 0 features five square meters (53.8 square feet) of “patented, double curve solar arrays,” allowing the vehicle to charge itself when it’s driving around or just sitting in the sun.
– a daily commute of just under 35km (21 miles) could conceivably drive for months without having to plug the vehicle in for recharging.
– The Lightyear 0 features a 60kWh battery pack with four electric motors that supply 174 horsepower
– The 10.1-inch center touchscreen runs on Android Automotive, which is Google’s native operating system that’s also found in a bunch of Volvo and Polestar vehicles.
– The company even has a manufacturing partner in Finnish contract manufacturer Valmet Automotive. These are not insignificant milestones.
– Lightyear says it will only make 946 units, with each selling for €250,000 (about $263,262 USD).
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/23162615/lightyear-solar-car-ev-range-specs-price
FACT SHEET: BIDEN-HARRIS ADMINISTRATION PROPOSES NEW STANDARDS FOR CHARGING
– Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is announcing new steps to meet President Biden’s goal to build out the first-ever national network of 500,000 electric vehicle chargers along America’s highways and in communities, a key piece of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
– The Department of Transportation, in partnership with the Department of Energy, is proposing new standards to make charging electric vehicles (EVs) a convenient, reliable, and affordable for all Americans, including when driving long distances. Without strong standards, chargers would be less reliable, may not work for all cars, or lack common payment methods. The new standards will ensure everyone can use the network –no matter what car you drive or which state you charge in.
– Secured historic investments in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law – $7.5 billion for EV charging infrastructure and more than $7 billion for the critical minerals supply chains necessary for batteries, components, materials, and recycling.
– United automakers and autoworkers around an ambitious target for 50% of new vehicles sold in 2030 to be electric.
– Activated the purchasing power of the federal government to procure 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles by 2027 and all vehicles by 2035.
– The Joint Office of Energy and Transportation announced the formation of a new Federal Advisory Committee called the EV Working Group that will be a key advisory body to “make recommendations regarding the development, adoption, and integration of light-, medium-, and heavy-duty electric vehicles into the transportation and energy systems of the United States,” including on infrastructure topics. The 25 members will be selected in the coming months.
Original Source : https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/06/09/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-proposes-new-standards-for-national-electric-vehicle-charging-network/
NORTH CAROLINA’S PLAN TO BAN FREE EV CHARGING IS AN ENVIRONMENTAL DISGRACE
– While the US federal government is moving towards standardizing fast-charging infrastructure and installing the first national network of chargers on highways, North Carolina might be going in the opposite direction.
– Titled “Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations,” the proposal wants to remove free charging stations in North Carolina and ban EV charging on government property. That’s unless free gas and diesel fuel stations have “equitable” availability.
– First off, the bill wants businesses (restaurants etc.) with free charging stations to print at the bottom of every receipt how much of the customer’s bill goes towards subsidizing charging — whether the customers make use of the service or not.
– But even if there is a way, it doesn’t really matter. How is providing free EV charging any different from spending on ads, or offering free WiFi? They all come from the same operating budget that aims to attract as many customers as possible.
– Secondly, the bill aims to prohibit the use of public funds (from the state and the local governments) for free EV charging on public land unless fossil fuels are also provided for free.
– To put it in a nutshell, the bill’s provisions are clear: no more free EV chargers just because.
Original Source : https://thenextweb.com/news/north-carolina-ban-free-ev-charging-is-environmental-disgrace
NORTH CAROLINA BILL SEEKS TO END THE SCOURGE OF FREE EV CHARGERS
– Although some publications feel the “bill aims for ‘equity’ in fueling vehicles for free,” to us it feels ridiculous to point out how ridiculous this bill is and how many workarounds there would be for private businesses to skirt its directives. If the sponsors simply didn’t want the state to subsidize charging, OK. But to attempt to try businesses in the court of public opinion and also financially penalize the state is regrettable. The state’s average commercial electricity rate is 8.7 cents per kilowatt-hour. Refilling the 98.8 kWh gross capacity of that Mach-E’s extended pack would cost the state almost $8.70, less than two gallons of North Carolina diesel in the current market.
– We allege the state is at war with itself because elsewhere in the North Carolina state legislature, politicians sponsored a bill to punish anyone who blocks an EV charger, including unplugged EVs, other reps touted the commercial opportunities in charging station manufacturing, and the state has been talking up how it will prepare for the needs of EV infrastructure.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/08/north-carolina-legislature-house-bill-1049-free-ev-charging/
TESLA STARTS 2022 MODEL Y CUSTOMER DELIVERIES FROM GIGA TEXAS [VIDEO]
– Tesla has kicked off the 2022 Model Y’s customer deliveries from Gigafactory Texas. One of the first customers to receive a Model Y from Giga Texas shared a review of his new vehicle with the public.
– The Texas-made Model Y had a Dual Motor badge at the back. The owner also showed the Model Y shelf at the back of the car and the carpet, which reportedly goes up higher in Texas-built vehicles compared to those made in Tesla’s Fremont Factory.
– The new Model Y owner observed that his vehicle showed no indications that it was a Standard vehicle. The Model Y’s window sticker also showed no signs that it was a Standard vehicle. It simply stated that the Model Y was an All-Wheel Drive variant.
The sticker showed that the Model Y’s price was $39,990 with an additional charge of $1,000 for the tow hitch. Interestingly enough, it also showed a $20,000 charge for All-Wheel Drive.
– . It had an EPA range of 279 miles (449 km). The Model Y’s battery structure was not indicated.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-4680-gigafactory-texas-customer-delivery-video/
TESLA OFFERS NEW VARIANT TO CUSTOMERS OUTSIDE OF TEXAS – DRIVE TESLA
– With the start of deliveries, Tesla has also started offering the new variant to customers outside of Texas for the first time. A few weeks ago the automaker sent emails to customers with existing reservations for the Long Range variant, offering to have an accelerated delivery within weeks if they switched to the new AWD variant.
– The offer was only made to customers in Austin and other areas near the factory. That offer is now being made to customers as far away as Florida, as Drive Tesla reader Aaron received a text message today asking if he would like to take delivery “within weeks with the latest configuration built at Gigafactory Texas.”
Original Source : https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y/tesla-begins-4680-model-y-deliveries/
SUPERCHARGER TEST OF TESLA’S NEW 4680 BATTERY IN A MODEL Y
– Electrek spotted a video from YouTube that shows the new vehicle testing at a Supercharger. Luckily, the owner got the vehicle down to 9% to show the true potential, as these vehicles charge faster the closer the battery is to empty.
– The vehicle was able to go from 9% charge to 50% charge in 12 minutes at Tesla’s fastest V3 Supercharger. This equates to around 114 miles of EPA estimated range in 12 minutes, compared with the pack’s full charge of an EPA estimated 279 miles.
To get to 80%, it took 34 minutes, or approximately 198 miles gained in 34 minutes.
Original Source : https://www.benzinga.com/tech/22/06/27650875/supercharger-test-of-teslas-new-4680-battery-model-y-shows-fast-charging-speeds
REFRESHED MODEL Y REVEALED TO HAVE A SMALL 50KWH BATTERY PACK
– Tesla doesn’t mention the battery pack size of the refreshed Model Y anywhere on the vehicle however, on the Tesla app the vehicle is branded as “50D”.
– If you happen to be unfamiliar, before Tesla switched to naming its vehicles “Standard Range” “Long Range” & “Performance”, the EV maker used to name them using some combination of the letter “P”, “D”, and the size of the battery pack.
– This makes the new Model Y, the Tesla with the smallest battery pack. The small size of the battery pack might be disappointing for some people however when you take into consideration the refreshed Model Y is able to get 279 miles of EPA range from such a small battery pack, then the vehicle becomes extremely impressive.
– In comparison, other vehicles in the Model Y’s segment such as the Mustang Mach E, Mercedes EQC, and Audi Etron all have EPA ranges (at least in their standard models) below 250miles but, with a battery pack ranging between 70 to 82 KWh respectively.
– This makes the new Model Y significantly more efficient than any electric vehicle we have seen on the road. It also validates Tesla’s Battery Day pronouncement that the new 4680 cells and structural battery pack increase range by a whopping 54%.
– If Tesla was to come out with a Model Y variant, with 400 plus mile range, under 3 seconds acceleration, and priced cheaper than the current Model Y, then demand will shift entirely to the new vehicle.
Original Source : https://www.torquenews.com/11826/tesla-s-4680-cells-prove-revolutionary-refreshed-model-y-revealed-have-50kwh-battery-pack
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What non-car company would make a great electric car?
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT