Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 9th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BYD TO SUPPLY BATTERIES TO TESLA, EXEC CONFIRMS
– There have been many rumors over the past year that BYD (OTCMKTS: BYDDY, HKG: 1211) will supply batteries to Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), but they have not been confirmed until today.
– BYD will soon supply batteries to Tesla, said Lian Yubo, the company’s executive vice president and president of its automotive engineering research institute, in an interview with Kui Yingchun, host of state-owned media CGTN, according to a video of the interview released today.
– Tesla is a very successful company no matter what, BYD respects Tesla and we admire Tesla.
We are good friends with Elon Musk, and we will soon supply him with batteries. We are friends.
It (Tesla) has a high starting point and adopts a high-profile strategy, including in the US capital market.
It first launched the Model S and Model X, shaping itself into a high-end brand, giving young people the feeling that it is the representative of fashion, innovation and technology.
Some of our domestic new car makers are actually also learning from it (Tesla), and it is an example for us to learn from.
– Currently Tesla’s only power cell supplier in China is Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL, SHE: 300750), which has a battery module assembly plant near Giga Shanghai.
– Earlier this year, there were further rumors on Chinese social media that Tesla had officially placed orders with BYD’s battery manufacturing unit FinDreams Battery for blade batteries for 204,000 units per year.
BYD BECOMES THIRD MOST VALUABLE AUTOMAKER GLOBALLY
– Chinese electric vehicle maker BYD has a market capitalization of more than $128 billion as of June 8, 2022, making it the world’s third most valuable automaker by market cap, according to CompaniesMarketCap statistics.
– The company has set another record month of sales and production in May, with both figures surpassing 100,000.
– According to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, last month, sales of BYD new energy vehicles rose 148.28 percent year-on-year to 114,943. During the first five months, BYD sold 512,363 units of NEV cars, surging 161.85 percent on a yearly basis.
BYD AUTO TO LAUNCH IN NEW ZEALAND
– BYD Auto will launch in New Zealand in Q3 this year.
Both its launch model and comprehensive national dealer network will be introduced in the coming weeks.
– The first of the competitively priced vehicles BYD Auto New Zealand will introduce is the all-electric ATTO 3, open for presales next month.
The mid-sized crossover SUV ATTO 3 will include two versions, with cruising ranges of 320kms and 420kms respectively, according to WLTP conditions. In 2023, two new BEV models will join the line-up with a further two models – a mix of battery-electric and plug-in hybrid electrics – to launch in 2024.
Original Source : https://www.driven.co.nz/news/byd-auto-to-launch-in-new-zealand/
TESLA MODEL Y TOUCHES DOWN AT LAST! AUSTRALIAN LAUNCH IMMINENT FOR HOTLY ANTICIPATED EV!
– A truck moving several examples of the Tesla Model Y has been spotted in Australia in the surest sign yet that an Australian launch is imminent for one of the country’s most hotly anticipated EVs.
– It means the Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and even the Tesla Model 3 will soon have a some new competition, with the Model Y now seemingly rapidly approaching its launch date.
– In good news for the many EV fanatics refreshing the Tesla ordering page, what appears to be a fleet of demonstrator vehicles was spotted on the Hume Highway by an eagle-eyed driver, before being posted to public Tesla Facebook groups.
– Interestingly, the Tesla website briefly opened orders for the Model Y in April in what was believed to be an accident as the model quickly disappeared from the ordering section of the site.Still, we know from that error that the Model Y was intended to arrive initially in a two-trim line-up, with the Rear Drive model starting at $65,500 (before on-road costs), and a Performance variant that begins at $90,900. Whether those prices hold true for the actual launch remains to be seen.
UBER’S NEW INCENTIVE FOR THOUSANDS OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE DRIVERS
– Uber is slashing service fees by 50 per cent for 2,500 drivers who use electric vehicles over the next three years.
– The rideshare platform announced the $26 million private sector investment in Australia’s electric-vehicle market on Wednesday, as part of its global commitment to reach net zero emissions by 2040.
– Uber is offering a 50 per cent service fee reduction for a limited number of Australian drivers using electric cars until mid-2025.
– Drivers could save up to $3,500 a year before any savings on fuel costs, it estimates.
– The incentive is restricted to the first 2,500 drivers who already drive a battery-electric car using the Uber app or new drivers with electric cars.
2022 MG4 REVEALED IN CHINA AS MG MULAN
– MG is expanding its all-electric line-up this year with the new MG4, and these latest images show us how it’ll look. It has been revealed in China as the Mulan by MG’s parent company SAIC, and we expect the European version to look almost identical.
– The brand has previously said the MG4 will have its full UK unveiling towards the end of 2022. Images of the Mulan sibling confirm that it will be a larger family hatchback than the brand’s MG3 supermini.
– G has already said the MG4 will be 4.3 metres long, putting it into competition with family hatchbacks such as the Volkswagen Golf. And given the all-electric powertrain, the MG4 will be a rival for cars such as the Citroen e-C4, upcoming Peugeot e-308, and Volkswagen ID.3, albeit with a more budget-friendly ethos.
– At the rear, meanwhile, a new full-width LED tail-light bar curls around the tailgate, similar to the design used on the Kia EV6. There’s also a large roof spoiler that’s split in the middle.
– rear-wheel drive, just like the Cupra Born and its sister car the Volkswagen ID.3.
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/357426/2022-mg4-revealed-china-mg-mulan
MG CYBERSTER: ELECTRIC SUCCESSOR TO TF CONVERTIBLE LEAKED
– The Cyberster roadster will arrive before 2024 as an affordable halo car for MG, and its final design has been outed in a series of patent filings from parent company SAIC Motor.
– The two-seat electric sports car was previewed as an outlandish concept in 2021, which company bosses said was given the green light for production after receiving more than 5000 expressions of interest from potential buyers.
– These latest images show just how far the design has come since that concept and indicate that the Cyberster – which will essentially serve as an electric rival to the likes of the Mazda MX-5 – is nearly ready for an official unveiling.
– It still looks to be a two-seater, however, and has donned some sort of folding rood for production, rather than sticking with the concept’s open-cockpit arrangement, but the prominent streamliners running from the headrests to the trailing edge of the boot lid are gone.
– The concept was said to be based on a bespoke EV architecture, offering a range of 497 miles and a 0-62mph time of less than 3.0sec, and as a spearhead for MG’s new youth-focused Cyber brand,
VW’S CUPRA TO LAUNCH THREE ELECTRIC MODELS BY 2025
– Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) Spanish brand CUPRA will launch three electric models by 2025, including what would be its first fully electric vehicle to be made in Spain, CUPRA said on Tuesday.
– CUPRA, which has close ties to VW’s other Spanish brand SEAT and focuses on high-margin sports vehicles, unveiled its new models at an event outside Barcelona.
– The Terramar model will be its first electrified sport-utility vehicle. It will be available in 2024 either with an internal combustion engine or as a plug-in hybrid. It will be produced at Audi’s Gyor plant in Hungary.
– The Tavascan is an electric concept car expected to be launched in 2024. Its production details have not yet been announced.
– In 2025, CUPRA will launch its UrbanRebel electric model. Production is planned at SEAT’s Martorell Barcelona plant
MERCEDES-BENZ EQV CAMPER VAN BY TONKE
– The era of e-campers is coming and Dutch RV specialist Tonke is joining the ranks with a new electric camper van that it has based on the Mercedes-Benz EQV 300.
– . In 2019, the automaker introduced the EQV, a battery-electric van with over 200 miles (321 kilometers) of range. That configuration has given Tonke a new platform to build an all-electric camper van, and it’s pretty neat.
– Tonke offers the Mercedes EQV in two configurations: Touring and Adventure.
– It has a two-burner induction stovetop, a sink, and a 36-liter fridge. The kitchen is movable and can slide out for outdoor cooking. Those looking for the dinette table will find it integrated into the kitchen, which works with the swivel front seats. Additional sleeping space is available with the optional roof-mounted pop-up tent, and Tonke adds an additional 100-amp-hour battery to avoid powering the camper off the 90-kW vehicle battery.
Original Source : https://mercedes-world.com/eq/mercedes-benz-eqv-tonke
SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT PLEDGES £30 MILLION FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLE PUSH
– The Scottish Government will provide more than £30m this year to support a move to electric vehicles. Some £28m will be on offer as part of the Low Carbon Transport Loan scheme, which provides up to £28,000 in interest-free loans for a new electric car or £10,000 for an electric bike or scooter.
– Similar loans of up to £30,000 and £5,000 are available for second hand cars and bikes respectively.
FISKER CONFIRMS: OCEAN DUE TO LAUNCH IN 2022, NEW FEATURE REVEALED
– Fisker CEO Henrik Fisker provided some updates at the company’s recent 2022 shareholder’s meeting, during which he confirmed that, despite auto industry delays, the Ocean is still coming to market this year.
– While many automakers are still pointing to the chip shortage and general supply chain concerns, Fisker is confident the Ocean will be on time. He went so far as to say he doesn’t expect that the company will face any delays.
– Fisker, once again, points to its long-term contract with Magna International, the company chosen to produce the Ocean, as the primary reason it’s on schedule. The CEO relays his excitement to shareholders, claiming that Magna is set to produce a product that’s “out of this world.”
THOUSANDS PETITION TOYOTA TO CEASE ANTI-EV LOBBYING EFFORTS
– It’s an open secret that, even as automakers announce ambitious plans for new EV models, and air EV ads featuring smiling grandparents, the companies actively fight against the kind of government regulations that are forcing them to produce EVs in the first place.
– Corporate watchdog SumOfUs recently delivered a petition to Toyota signed by more than 110,000 members, including 10,000 Toyota drivers, demanding that the carmaker stop “lobbying to prevent electric vehicle mandates and clean air laws.”
– “Toyota is working harder than any other auto company to prevent this progress and slow down the shift to electric mobility, and plans for only 14% of its total production to be EV by the end of the decade,” SumOfUs tells us. “According to this [InfluenceMap] report, Toyota is therefore planning to miss its Paris Agreement commitments.”
– More than 500 of the Toyota customers who signed the petition included personal messages for Toyota.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What non-car company would make a great electric car?
Email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT