Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 6th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
CHINESE ELECTRIC CAR MAKER BYD JUMPS AHEAD OF TESLA IN BATTERY METAL PUSH
– The Warren Buffett-backed car producer is also working on plans to deliver a longer-term advantage over competitors, aiming to become more directly involved in the mining of lithium, the raw material that’s crucial for EV batteries.
– A Chinese media report last week suggested the automaker is dramatically accelerating this strategy by striking a deal to buy six mines in Africa capable of producing enough lithium for more than 27 million EVs. That could be sufficient to cover BYD’s lithium demand for the next 10 years
– EV battery prices are expected to tick up this year for the first time in more than a decade, and broader inflation could delay the point at which electric models are as affordable as conventional cars, according to BloombergNEF.
– Securing sufficient supplies of raw materials is likely to be “the biggest challenge for all automakers for most of this decade,” Seth Goldstein, a Chicago-based equity strategist at Morningstar Research Services, told me last week.
GORDON MURRAY FOLLOWS V12 SUPERCARS WITH PAIR OF ELECTRIC SUVS
– The Gordon Murray Group is developing a pair of mass-market-friendly electric SUVs
– The SUVs will be the first vehicles to ride on a bespoke new EV architecture currently under development at Gordon Murray Design (GMD)
– Giving the first details of the SUVs after accepting Autocar’s Mundy Award for Engineering earlier this month, Gordon Murray promised they would “change the way we think about range anxiety and vehicle dynamics”.
– This suggests that, despite their consumer-friendly billing, the SUVs will follow the same principles as GMA’s supercars: weight saving, tight packaging, aerodynamic efficiency and high manoeuvrability.
– Autocar understands that one will wear a GMA badge when it arrives in its final form, while the other is being developed for an unnamed third-party manufacturer.
– He revealed that GMD was working on a “revolutionary, lightweight, ultra-efficient electric vehicle architecture” that would first underpin “a little SUV with a compact delivery-van derivative”.
– Both SUVs will be built according to Murray’s iStream production method (see below), whereby the battery forms an integral part of the vehicle shell and weight is kept to a minimum with a view to maximising efficiency and affordability.
ENERGICA EXPERIA ‘GREEN TOURER’ IS ELECTRIC ADVENTURE
– It’s likely called a green tourer so that no one is confused by the adventure bike looks. Although not designed to go off-road, the Experia drove straight out of the adventure segment with its fairing, windshield, trio of hard cases, and Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. But the Experia is for getting from place to place on the pavement and in adult comfort.
– Everything about the bike is new, from the tubular steel trellis frame to the battery, motor, and panels. The 22.5-kWh lithium polymer pack provides 19.6 usable kWh, good for a range of 261 miles in the city, 130 miles on the highway, and 160 miles in mixed riding. With the ability to charge at Level 1 and Level 2 chargers, plus Level 3 DC fast-charging stations, the Experia can refill 80% of the battery from empty in 40 minutes using that last option
– Motor output is 80 continuous and 101 peak horsepower, along with 85 pound-feet of torque, motivating the Experia from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds onto an electronically limited 112-mph top speed.
– There are seven riding modes accessed on the five-inch full color cockpit screen
– Pricing starts at $25,880 for the Launch Edition
ELON MUSK AND TESLA HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR EUROPE
– a user asked Musk if he could give an update on the situation in Europe where FSD is still unavailable for legal and regulatory reasons.
– “We are close to the point where offering something for EU regulators to review makes sense,” Musk responded.
– The introduction of FSD in other regions other than North America comes up against several difficulties: new languages, new signs, traffic patterns, right-of-way issues, etc. There are also left-hand markets and right-hand driving (RHD) in some European countries like the U.K.
– Musk’s new announcement backs up one of his Twitter posts from March in which the mogul said Tesla might be introducing FSD to Europe this summer.
– “FSD Beta should be available in Europe for LHD this summer, RHD a few months later. These dates depend on regulatory approval,” he said on March 29.
– Tesla faces a big challenge in Europe. Indeed, legislation in some countries does not allow a vehicle to perform maneuvers alone. It is therefore possible that on the same road connecting two countries, the vehicle goes from legal to illegal.
Original Source : https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article262178157.html
STATES SUE USPS, SAYING THEY IGNORED NEW VEHICLE ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS
– The United States Postal Service (USPS) had a chance to replace a significant portion of its vehicle fleet with electric vehicles (EV) last year. Instead, the agency decided to award the multi-billion dollar contract to Oshkosh Corporation, a company that builds gasoline-powered vehicles for a variety of commercial and military applications.
– Oshkosh says that the vehicle’s four-cylinder gasoline engine will have an average fuel economy of 14 miles per gallon (mpg), falling to 8.6 mpg when the air conditioning is on.
– Only 10 percent of the initial trucks would be electric, which the company has less experience building than other bidders like Workhorse, an EV startup.
– In response to the Oshkosh selection, several states have brought a lawsuit against the agency in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (Case no. 3:22-cv-02583), claiming that it did not conduct a thorough environmental review of its plan to buy the vehicles and didn’t consider viable, more efficient alternatives.
– The USPS released its environmental review a year to the day after announcing the contract.
– the USPS considered three alternatives: 100 percent internal combustion engine vehicles, 100 percent EVs, or do nothing.
– When reached for comment via email, USPS senior public relations representative Kim Frum told Newsweek that that agency complied with all of its obligations under NEPA.
EV CHARGING FIRM ROLLS OUT NEW PLAN WITH Q-PARK
– UK electric vehicle infrastructure firm EB Charging has announced an agreement with parking operator Q-Park that will see it install 100 chargers in the first phase of an Irish expansion.
– 16 Q-Park sites in Ireland is part of a wider deal between the two firms to deploy nearly 600 charging points across 80 sites in the UK and Ireland.
– In April, EB Charging, which began as a startup seven years ago, was acquired by Nasdaq-listed Blink Charging, a Miami-headquartered firm that has over 30,000 charging ports across 18 countries.
F-150 LIGHTNING TOWING TEST SHOWS RANGE WHEN PULLING CAMPER TRAILER
– Nicholas Schmidt, an owner of a Lightning Platinum, has put his new electric truck to the test
– As Schmidt was using an F-150 Lightning Platinum for his test, it’s equipped with all of Ford’s features, including the Tow Technology Package, Extended Range Battery, and Max Trailer Tow Package. This means his all-electric truck is specced for hauling. According to Schmidt, the Airstream camper trailer he hauled was around 6,000 lbs (2,722 kg), packed with gear, and 20 gallons of fresh water. He’s the only occupant of the truck plus the drive was just a flat road without any hills.
– Before Schmidt connected the trailer to the truck, the range was 85 miles (137 kilometers). After entering the measurements of the trailer onto the system, the Lightning automatically recalculated the range to 54 mi (87 km). As for efficiency, he said that he’s seeing 0.8 mi/kWh when the trailer’s connected – around half of the usual 1.5-1.8 mi/kWh he’s getting sans the Airstream camper.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/590117/f150-lightning-range-towing-camper/
CITY TO GIVE FREE E-BIKES TO DELIVERY WORKERS
– Nearly three dozen San Francisco delivery drivers will soon get some relief at the pump.Instead of getting gas rebates, these 35 workers will get a free electric bike through a pilot program run out of San Francisco’s Department of the Environment.
– The idea is to lessen the carbon footprint of the booming food delivery business without financially burdening the low-paid workers doing the delivering. As an added benefit, getting these workers out of their cars and onto bikes should also help reduce traffic and improve street safety.
– App-based delivery drivers working for companies like Doordash, Instacart and Uber Eats will be selected for the program
– Staff at the Department of Environment will collect anonymous vehicle data from program participants and a control group of car-based delivery drivers, looking at routes, pickup and drop-off locations and deadheading time. At the end of the study period in 2024, researchers will compare the costs and emissions from the two modes.
– Vehicle expenses represent a major cost for delivery workers, the study found. Nearly half of delivery drivers’ weekly revenue was eaten up by vehicle expenses,
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What non-car company would make a great electric car?
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT