Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 5th June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
RIVIAN R1T ELECTRIC TRUCK ‘WAY UNDERPRICED,’ BUT ROOM TO IMPROVE
– The Rivian R1T, one of the first electric pickup trucks on the market, is “way underpriced,” according to a manufacturing expert known for his sometimes blunt assessments of electric vehicles from Tesla (TSLA.O) and others.
– The R1T also could use some engineering and production changes to reduce its manufacturing cost, according to Sandy Munro, head of Michigan-based Munro & Associates, which tears down vehicles and advises automakers on how to improve them.
– Munro, a former Ford manufacturing engineer, says the R1T has “buckets of cost reduction opportunity”
– But the R1T, which starts at $67,500, “should be selling for $100,000 — it’s way underpriced for what it is and what it does,” says Munro
– “It’s designed and built quite differently from traditional full-size pickups,” says Ben Lindamood, a Munro director. “The build quality still isn’t as good as vehicles from more established brands, which is not dissimilar from the early Teslas” torn down in Munro’s shop.
2022 MERCEDES-EQ EQB EV STARTS AT $55,550, INCLUDES FREE CHARGING
– The Mercedes-Benz GLB’s electrified twin — the 2022 Mercedes-EQ EQB — is arriving soon with a starting price of $55,550 (all prices include destination charge), the automaker announced. The luxury SUV comes with a standard two-row setup or an optional third row with seating for up to seven.
– The EQB’s all-electric powertrain comes in two variants: the EQB300 with 225 system horsepower and 288 pounds-feet of torque, and the EQB350 with 288 hp and 384 pounds-feet. Both versions use the same 66.5-kilowatt-hour battery pack and get standard all-wheel drive. According to European estimates, the EQB gets a range of approximately 260 miles; the SUV has not yet been rated by the EPA.
– The EQB joins the growing list of EVs that offer free charging. Like its stablemate EQS and EQE sedans, the EQB comes with two years of unlimited 30-minute charging sessions within the Electrify America network
– The base 2022 EQB300 4Matic will start at $55,550 including all the standard features outlined above; the EQB350 will start at $59,100. Shoppers have the choice of two trim upgrades: Exclusive and Pinnacle.
– The 2022 EQB will arrive in dealerships in the summer and also will be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit for qualified shoppers.
PANASONIC DELIVERS FIRST BATCH OF 4680 CELLS TO TESLA
– Panasonic has delivered the first sample cells of the new 4680 format to Tesla. The large round cells were built on a Panasonic pilot line in Japan. The company is still looking for a location for the planned US production.
– According to Kazuo Tadanobu, CEO of Panasonic Energy, prototype production for the 4680 cells began in May on the pilot line at the plant in Wakayama Prefecture, Japan. At an investor day, Tadanobu spoke of a “large-scale prototype production”, but gave no further details about the cells or the volumes currently being produced.
– Mass production of the new cells in Japan is scheduled to start in March 2023, after which they will be moved to North America.
LAMBORGHINI FILES TRADEMARK FOR REVUELTO, COULD BE NAME FOR FUTURE EV
– If there’s one way to catch the names of upcoming cars, the trademark office would be one. Case in point: Lamborghini. In a trademark filing at the European Union Intellectual Property Office, the Italian supercar maker wants to keep the rights to the name “Revuelto.”
– The trademark was filed last May 25, 2022
– nterestingly, “Revuelto” is a Spanish word that translates to scrambled, unruly, and fumbling. As we all know, most names of Lamborghini vehicles come from Spanish – most of them named after legendary bulls.
– What piqued our interest was classes 9 and 12. “Electric batteries for powering electric vehicles” are included in class 9, while electric vehicles and anything powered by electric motors are under class 12, including electric scooters.
FRANCE MAKES IT HARDER TO QUICKLY RESELL NEW ELECTRIC CARS FOR PROFIT
– France has put in place new rules that make it harder to profitably “flip” new electric cars bought with state incentives, including requiring owners to keep the car for a year before they can resell it.
– Under the new French rules, owners must keep their new EV for 12 months instead of six, and must drive a minimum of 6,000 km (3,728 miles). If either of those conditions are not met, the incentive must be reimbursed to the government.
– Used-car prices have soared in recent months, with new cars scarce due to supply chain issues. Full-electric cars have become particularly desirable due to the increase in gasoline and diesel prices driven by the war in Ukraine.
– For example, a search on Reezocar, a Europe-wide online used-car broker, found a number of 2020-21 Tesla Model 3s asking above list price, with 6,000 to 15,000 km.
WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY AND OWN AN EV? – CNET
– S&P Global Mobility predicts that the four states with the most plug-in cars in use today will still be so in 2030: California, Florida, Texas and New York, thanks in part to their large populations.
– What makes the “best place” question interesting is that the next and much bigger wave of EV-curious shoppers will take a hard-nosed look at living with these cars: If they reside in a place where it’s harder to buy, afford, charge or service and repair an electric car, they’ll likely cross the showroom to an efficient gas engine car.
– Beyond public charge locations, a stew of regional home charger incentives, utility rate schemes, local penetration of residential solar and state EV purchase incentives create a stew of EV appetites that is more nuanced than a simple tally of charge locations can reveal.
– The Dallas-Fort Worth metro is predicted to be the country’s fastest growing in terms of plug-in adoption.
ELON MUSK GIVES TESLA SERVICE CENTER AND FSD UPDATE, CALLS THIS MILESTONE ‘A BIG DEAL’
– Musk took time to share a couple of updates on Tesla.
– “Working on Tesla North American service. Goal is 2/3 of cars receive same-day service, no wait,” Musk tweeted.
– Musk also shared an update on Tesla’s FSD Beta.“FSD Beta 10.12.2 now expanding to 100k cars. 10.13 smooths out intersection control, especially long lefts, and starts to handle roads with no map data at all.”
– Tesla ended the first quarter with 673 store and service locations.
– An increase in service locations could help boost interest in Tesla vehicles from those who have favored traditional gas-powered vehicles and know that they can get quick service from local dealerships.
BRITAIN HITS ‘TIPPING POINT’ FOR ELECTRIC CAR OWNERSHIP
– Britain has reached a “tipping point” in the electric car revolution with almost half of all buyers in the UK now seeking to purchase a fully battery-powered vehicle, research has found.
– 49pc of drivers looking to buy a car said they would choose an electric vehicle, a significant leap on 21pc just two years ago. Drivers are increasingly interested in owning electric models owing to a combination of environmental concerns and rising penalties on petrol and diesel cars, a survey by EY revealed.
– The accountancy firm said the speed of the shift was “eye-opening” with manufacturers now needing to make sure they are catching up with demand.
– The EY Mobility Consumer Index surveyed 18,000 people in 18 countries including 1,000 people in the UK.
– In the UK, 46pc of respondents said the penalties on petrol and diesel cars was the main reason to buy an electric car, while 45pc cited environmental concerns. The biggest barriers to getting an electric model were given as upfront costs as well as lack of charging stations and concern over how long a car could travel before needing to recharge.
OCTOPUS ENERGY PARTNERS WITH HOUSING FIRM TO BUILD FIRST EVERY BILL ZERO ENERGY PROPERTIES
– Octopus Energy and ilke Homes have entered into a partnership to roll out the UK’s first homes to guarantee residents zero energy bills.
– The construction of the properties was first announced in February of this year but now it has been revealed that Octopus Energy will be providing a bespoke tariff as part of the project.
– To launch it, initially, two factory-built homes are being installed in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, by ilke Homes.
– They will come equipped with an air source heat pump, solar panels and battery storage technology.The low-carbon technologies will combine to provide free, clean energy around the clock, with Octopus Energy providing a tariff specifically for those living there.
– The two-bedroom semi-detached family homes – being delivered in partnership with Gresham House and SO Resi – form part of a wider 153-home scheme, branded Hope Green.
– 101 of these homes will be zero-carbon in operation
– Solar panels on the roof will generate electricity for the home and its heat pump, which provides all heating and hot water.The homes will also be equipped with battery technology to store any excess green electricity the solar panels generate. By using a battery, the home will be able to store this energy for later use.
– Greg Jackson, founder of Octopus Energy Group, added: “This breakthrough partnership debunks a long-standing myth – that cleaner energy will mean higher bills for consumers. Instead, people living in these homes won’t be paying for energy at all.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 6th June.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT