Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 3rd June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
POLESTAR 2 BST EDITION 270: A SHARPER PERFORMANCE EV WITH 476 HP
– Just 270 examples of the Polestar 2 BST Edition 270 will be built, with up to 47 earmarked for shipment to the US. It hints that the US market may not be the primary focus for Polestar right now, with less than 20% of the total production headed stateside.
– The special edition is based on the existing Polestar 2 in its dual-motor Performance Pack trim, as reviewed by The Drive last year. According to Polestar, there are a full 166 “notable and tangible” upgrades have been made to improve handling and performance.
– The motors and battery have been tuned for greater power output and improved responsiveness.
– Ride height has been lowered by 25 mm (~1 inch), providing a more aggressive stance and improved handling. Special Öhlins racing-spec adjustable dampers have also been fitted,
– The BST Edition 270 cars will be built on the regular Polestar 2 production line, before making a visit to the Polestar Production center for modification to spec.
– Pricing for the Polestar 2 BST Edition 270 starts at $75,500 MSRP,
2022 FORD F-150 LIGHTNING IS EVEN QUICKER THAN EXPECTED
– It’s hard to imagine anyone not being blown away by the heroic shove of the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning’s two electric motors making a combined 580 horsepower and 775 pound-feet of torque. Nail the throttle from rest and 60 mph arrives in 4.0 seconds flat, on its way to a 12.7-second quarter-mile at 107 mph, just before it hits its 110-mph governed top speed.
– Our test vehicle was a top-trim Platinum that includes the larger, 131.0-kWh battery pack
– The performance of this first electric F-150 positively dominates any other in Ford’s truck lineup, including the Raptor, by more than a second in either metric. Even a Mach-E GT is no quicker in the quarter-mile. And a Mustang Mach 1 would have to be exceptionally well driven to open up the narrowest of gaps in the quarter.
– in our 30–50-mph and 50–70-mph passing tests, the Lightning essentially ties the Rivian (0.1 second quicker in the former, and 0.1 second slower in the latter).
– ntil now, we never thought we’d be impressed by the mass of anything this heavy. But, in light of the Hummer EV’s 9000-pound curb weight, the Lightning is practically a Miata.
VOLKSWAGEN AERO B ELECTRIC SEDAN SPIED AGAIN SHOWING MORE DETAILS
– Currently known as the Aero B, the sedan has been seen by our spies on several occasions now, every time posing as an ICE sedan, something like a Jetta or Passat, bearing light but surprisingly effective camouflage that doesn’t really give us a great look at its fascias
– It is more interesting from the side than most current VW sedans, thanks to its clearly defined flanks and a subtle Coke bottle-like profile that makes it both elegant and sporty. And it needs to be an elegant yet sober car because it will basically serve as an electric Passat alternative.
– we believe Volkswagen will bring this model to Europe and North America to have its own Tesla Model 3, Polestar 2 or an Hyundai Ioniq 6 rival – it’s a big segment that it isn’t currently covering on western markets.
PORSCHE MACAN EV SPIED SHOWING STYLING DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TRIM LEVELS
– he cluster has three circular gauges with the speedometer in the middle. The display on the left is currently for the tyre pressures, but the details aren’t showing up. The one on the right has an error message, which is common to see on an unfinished development vehicle like this one.
– The driver grips a three-spoke steering wheel. There are multifunction controls are each horizontal section. A circular drive mode selector is on the lower right.
– At the back, the Macan EV has an active spoiler on the hatchback below the window. Porsche continues to fit fake exhaust pipes to the bumper, but they aren’t fooling anyone.
FORD INVESTS $1.5 BILLION IN BUILDING AN “ALL-NEW COMMERCIAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE” IN OHIO
– Ford announced today a new $1.5 billion investment in building an “all-new commercial electric vehicle” in Ohio.
– The announcement did include a brand new investment in the production of a new commercial electric vehicle:
– $1.5 billion investment and 1,800 union jobs at Ohio Assembly Plant to assemble an all-new EV commercial vehicle starting mid-decade, along with an additional 90 jobs and $100 million investment between Lima Engine and Sharonville Transmission plants.
– The automaker also announced a $95 million investment that will partly be used to accelerate production of the E-Transit electric van:
$95 million investment and 1,100 union jobs for a third shift at Kansas City Assembly Plant to increase production of the Transit, America’s best-selling commercial van, and the all-new E-Transit electric van.
- Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/06/02/ford-invests-billion-building-all-new-commercial-electric-vehicle-ohio/
JEEP WILL ONLY SELL HYBRIDS, EVS IN EUROPE BY 2023
– By the end of 2022, the 80-year-old Jeep brand will cease the sales of purely internal-combustion-engine vehicles in Europe, global CEO Christian Meunier revealed. Following the launch of Jeep’s plugin-hybrid Wrangler 4xE in 2020, the company has experienced increased demand for EVs, especially in Europe. As 2022 ends, Jeep will focus on PHEVs and battery-electric vehicles for the European market.
– The Jeep Wrangler 4xE was the bestselling plug-in hybrid in North America in the first quarter of 2022. Still, North American markets are evolving slower than those across the Atlantic.
– Jeep has committed to selling 100% BEV in Europe by 2030, compared to a projected 50% BEV sales in North America at the same time.
STELLANTIS – LG ENERGY SOLUTION BATTERY JOINT VENTURE NAMED NEXTSTAR ENERGY
– Stellantis and LG Energy Solution announced NextStar Energy Inc. as the official name of its battery joint-venture company. Danies Lee has been appointed chief executive officer (CEO) of the new company. NextStar Energy will be Canada’s first large-scale lithium-ion battery production plant.
– Stellantis and LG Energy Solution committed to invest more than $5 billion CAD ($4.1 billion USD) to establish automotive battery operations in Windsor, Ontario, with support from the municipal, provincial and federal levels of the Canadian government.
– The manufacturing facility is targeted to have an annual production capacity in excess of 45 gigawatt hours (GWh) and will create an estimated 2,500 new jobs in Windsor and the surrounding areas. Plant construction activities are expected to begin later this year with production operations planned to launch in the first quarter of 2024.
TRIUMPH’S FIRST ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE PROTOTYPE COMPLETES TESTING PHASE
– Triumph announced some exciting news about its Project TE-1 electric prototype at the beginning of February, 2022. That’s when the House of Hinckley first showed off its working prototype demonstrator. The bike was built after months of careful collaboration with Williams Advanced Engineering, Integral Powertrain Limited, and Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) at the University of Warwick.
– It’s evident from the company catalog that Triumph cares deeply about details. Since this is the OEM’s first attempt at an electric motorcycle, for very obvious reasons, it of course wants to make sure that Project TE-1 succeeds. Does it? No one outside that group of collaborating companies will know for sure until July 12.
TESLA GERMANY WAIT TIMES RISING SHARPLY
– Piper Sandler analyst Alex Potter said Thursday that European wait times for Tesla’s (NASDAQ:TSLA) Model Y are rising sharply.
– The analyst explained that they started monitoring delivery wait times for Tesla vehicles in Germany, the U.S., and China a few months ago, with a previous rise in German wait times put down to a factory shutdown in Shanghai (Tesla’s export hub).
– Potter said they noticed “another sudden upward inflection” for German Model Y buyers, who now have to wait approximately 23.5 weeks (or ~5.5 months) before they receive their vehicle, up from 15.5 weeks (3.5 months) just a few days ago.
– 1) Tesla’s new factory in Berlin is taking longer than expected to ramp 2) Model Y orders in Europe have increased suddenly, leading to a bigger backlog 3) Exported vehicles (from China) may be taking longer than expected to reach Europe.
ELON MUSK MYSTIFIED THAT TESLA EMPLOYEES DON’T WANT TO SPEND ALL DAY WITH HIM
– AUSTIN (The Borowitz Report)—One day after demanding that Tesla employees who work from home return to the office, Elon Musk said that he was “totally mystified and baffled” that anyone would not want to spend all day with him.
– “Here you have a group of people who have been starved of any personal contact with me for months,” he said. “I thought they would jump at the chance to get a little Elon in their lives again.”
– Enumerating the benefits of spending time with him, Musk said, “For one thing, I’m incredibly charming and interesting. If you work in the office, you never know when I might drop by your desk and just start talking at you. Fifteen minutes later, you’ve basically heard a whole TED Talk. You don’t get that kind of quality content at home.”
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 6th June.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT