Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 1st June, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VW ID.BUZZ ELECTRIC MINIBUS IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN EXPECTED
– Volkswagen has released the starting price of the VW ID.Buzz electric minibus in Europe, and it is much more expensive than originally expected. It starts at £57,115 in the UK, equivalent to $72,000 USD.
– It comes with a decent size 82 kWh battery pack enabling over 200 miles of range with several different seat configurations.
– VW has launched “pre-booking” for the ID.Buzz in the UK and revealed that it starts at £57,115
– The first deliveries of the ID.Buzz are expected in Europe during the third quarter – deliveries in North America are going to have to wait until 2023.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/05/31/vw-id-buzz-electric-minibus-price/
2023 VW ID. BUZZ ENTERS PRODUCTION, STARTS AT £57,115
– Production of the ID. Buzz Cargo has already begun and now VW is doing the same for the passenger-oriented version. The electric vehicles join the Multivan (T7) as well as the Transporter (T6.1) at the revamped German plant.
– In the UK, the ID. Buzz kicks off at £57,115.00 (RRP inc VAT and OTR) for the Life model, £61,915.00 for the Style and up to £62,995 for the 1st Edition. Order books open in July but you pre-order from May 30 to June 30. A £2,000 pre-booking fee can be made between 30 May and 30 June to secure a priority slot.
– The US-spec version will be different in the sense it’ll have a longer wheelbase to accommodate three rows of seats. While VW currently only produces a rear-wheel-drive model with a single electric motor, the ID. Buzz is going to get a more potent AWD-equipped derivative with a dual-motor setup.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/589864/2023-vw-id-buzz-price-production-announced/
MG SURPASSES PREVIOUS ANNUAL CAR SALES IN FIRST FIVE MONTHS OF 2022
– MG Motor UK has reaffirmed its status as one of the fastest growing car brands in the UK with a record start to 2022, selling more new vehicles between January and May 2022 than in the entirety of 2020.
– New sales data has revealed the brand’s increasing popularity, with over 18,800 new vehicles registered in the first five months of this year – compared to 18,415 in 2020, and 30,579 in 2021.
– Over 6,900 examples of MG’s ZS compact SUV range have been sold so far in 2022, reflecting the continuing popularity of the affordable compact SUV. Available in petrol or pure-electric specification
Original Source : https://www.mg.co.uk/media-centre/mg-surpasses-previous-annual-car-sales-first-five-months-2022
TESLA (TSLA) MAKES PITCH TO TURN TEXAS HOMES INTO ‘VIRTUAL POWER PLANTS’
– Tesla Inc. is hoping to turn some Texas homes into “virtual power plants” after tests showed its home batteries can be quickly tapped to reduce stress on the state grid
– Tesla is making the push after trying a project that pooled together 64 northern Texas homes outfitted with rooftop solar and Powerwall batteries. The pilot project showed that the setup can tap spare battery capacity and provide grid services within seconds
– Tesla is advocating for rule changes with the main Texas grid operator to set terms on how owners of such residential batteries can participate in the power market and be compensated. Households received gift cards for their role in the pilot project.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-31/tesla-makes-pitch-to-turn-texas-homes-into-plants-to-power-grid
THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION EVS ON UK ROADS
– Figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) show that there are three quarters of a million electric vehicles on UK roads.
– By the end of 2021, there were 748,349 electric cars, vans buses, and trucks on the road, an increase of 71% on 2020, with growth in all areas.
– The SMMT has divided up the EV figures, with 720,053 cars, 26,990 vans, 993 buses, and 313 trucks able to be plugged in.
– This data looks at all vehicles registered as being road legal in the UK, rather than the more familiar SMMT stats of monthly new car registrations. As such, it gives a good indication as to how the number of electric vehicles is coming along in total, rather than simply new registrations.
– electric cars account for 2.06% of total cars, with just over 35 million cars registered.
– The statistics also don’t take into account the 77,064 pure-electric cars and 36,210 plug-in hybrid registrations until the end of April, which account for 21.1% of newly registered electric cars in 2022 to date.
Original Source : https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/9344/three-quarters-of-a-million-evs-on-uk-roads/
GENESIS DELIVERS FIRST GV60 ELECTRIC CROSSOVER IN THE U.S.
– On Thursday, May 26, Genesis delivered its first GV60 electric vehicle in the United States. This marks the first-ever electric vehicle delivery for the brand in the country. Patricia Wayne of Los Angeles purchased the Uyuni White GV60 at Genesis Santa Monica
– When asked what she was looking forward to doing first in her new GV60, Wayne responded, “Taking a ride up the Pacific Coast Highway for Memorial Day weekend. As a native Californian, there’s nothing I love more than road-tripping through our gorgeous state. I’m looking forward to heading to Sequoia National Park and driving the winding roads on the way to my favorite campsite, without leaving a trail of exhaust behind me.”
– Thanks to a collaboration with Electrify America, customers like Patricia Wayne will enjoy three years of 30-minute complimentary charging sessions
– Later this year, as part of Hyundai Motor Group’s $7.4B U.S. investment in future mobility solutions, Genesis will begin production of the Electrified GV70 SUV at its manufacturing facility in Montgomery, Ala.. This will mark the first Genesis production in the United States and the first time a Genesis model will be produced outside of South Korea.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2022/05/genesis-delivers-first-gv60-electric-crossover-in-the-u-s/
RUMOR: SAMSUNG SDI DEVELOPING VARIOUS 4680 CYLINDRICAL BATTERIES
– Samsung SDI potentially might become another supplier of the 4680-type cylindrical battery cells for Tesla, like Panasonic and LG Energy Solution (rumor).
– According to The Elec’s unofficial sources, Samsung SDI is developing various versions of the 4680-type batteries, or rather cylindrical cells with a diameter of 46 mm and different heights.
– Besides the base form factor of 4680 (46 mm in diameter and 80 mm tall), reportedly the company works also on a shorter version with a length between 40 mm to 60 mm.
– The Korea Herald reported about 4680-type battery cell development by South Korean Samsung SDI and LG Energy Solution in 2021. Actually, in February 2021, we heard a rumor that LGES is going to build a pilot production line.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/589164/samsung-sdi-develops-4680-batteries/
INEOS CONFIRMS PLANS FOR NEW SMALL ELECTRIC 4X4
– Ineos has confirmed it is to offer a second model – a fully-electric SUV that will sit beneath the retro-styled Grenadier in terms of footprint and using a new, bespoke all-electric platform.
– Ineos says the car will ‘retain the workhorse DNA and off-road capabilities’ of the Grenadier and we expect it won’t deviate too much from that car’s utilitarian design – especially as it’ll be built at the same Hambach plant in France as it’s larger sibling.
– Ineos CEO and Chairman, Sir Jim Ratcliffe is keen on hydrogen fuel cell technology too, his brand will leverage fuel cells developed by Hyundai for the FCEV version of the Grenadier.
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos/358118/ineos-confirms-plans-new-small-electric-4×4
HSBC’S NEW EMPLOYEE PERK LETS UK BANKERS LEASE TESLAS AND EVS
– HSBC’s new corporate perk allows 35,000 UK staff lease Teslas, and nearly 200 other models of electric vehicles.
– Workers will be able to lease EVs from the bank for up to 48 months and receive tax benefits. They will then have the option to buy the car in full at the end of the contract, per the report.
– HSBC UK’s green car program will help employees become more sustainable in their day-to-day lives, said its CEO, Ian Stuart.
– Under UK tax rules, employees have to pay tax on employee benefits like company cars. But they pay less for electric or hybrid vehicles, which are subject to “benefit-in-kind” tax breaks. The tax rate on EVs with a range of 130 miles is 2%.
– Many UK employers offer a similar cycle to work schemes, where they subsidize the purchase of a bike or let employees pay them back as part of their monthly paycheck — a practice known as salary sacrifice.
Original Source : https://www.businessinsider.com/hsbc-uk-bankers-tax-breaks-on-ev-cars-employee-perk-2022-6?op=1&r=US&IR=T
DRC NEEDS TO DIG DEEPER IN MINES FOR ELECTRIC CARS BATTERY MINERALS
– The DRC, which produces about 68 percent of the world’s cobalt annually, and over 1.8 million tonnes of copper (the fourth-largest in the world) will now have to dig deeper into its mines to meet the growing demand.
– With the prices of copper, cobalt, nickel and lithium surging in the aftermath of the Ukraine crisis, DRC now eyes massive gains, as these minerals constitute at least 91 percent of its exports and about 36 percent of its GDP.
– According to the IEA, the prices of lithium, of which DRC produces over 130 million tonnes annually, have risen over seven times since the start of 2021, and are set to rise further, along with copper, cobalt and nickel.
Original Source : https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/tea/business/drc-mines-for-electric-cars-battery-minerals-3829806
GIANT LAUNCHES NEW E-BIKE BRAND MOMENTUM IN UK – GEAR
– Giant has unveiled its latest development to the UK market, a new bike brand focussed specifically on e-bikes.
– Momentum, part of the Giant Group, is an electric bike specialist that aims to promote a life on two wheels to the wider public, offering four models of power-assisted bikes.
– Momentum’s Transcend and Vida models retail at £2,899
– Giant’s US subsidiary saw growth in e-bike sales, the company said, but in Europe, revenue declined about 10% as supply challenges affected e-bike sales.
Original Source : https://bikebiz.com/giant-launches-new-e-bike-brand-momentum-in-uk/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 6th June.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT