Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 31st May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
NEW 2023 BMW IX1 ELECTRIC CROSSOVER ARRIVES WITH 272 MILES OF RANGE
– Alongside the reveal of its combustion-powered BMW X1, which also boasts more electrification than ever, the German firm has unveiled its fully electric iX1 compact crossover.
– badged iX1 xDrive30e – due to go on sale around the same time as the X1 plug-in hybrid models at the end of summer.
– The new iX1 EV features a pair of electric motors – one on each axle – which have a maximum combined output of 308bhp
– the iX1 is capable of 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds, and it can reach a top speed of 112mph.
– BMW claims the car will be able to deliver up to 272 miles of range on the WLTP test cycle from its 64.7kWh battery, and says it will support charging rates of up to 130kW for a 10 to 80 per cent top-up in 29 minutes – or enough to add 75 miles of range in just 10 minutes. The battery can also be pre-heated manually, allowing users to prepare their car and maximise the possible charging rates at public points.
NEW 2022 BMW IX1: 272-MILE EV JOINS THIRD-GEN X1 LINE-UP
– BMW’s crucial rival to the Audi Q3 and Volvo XC40 is its first “premium compact model based on a flexible vehicle architecture to feature an all-electric drive system”. It effectively replaces the decade-old BMW i3 as the entry point into the manufacturer’s growing EV family.
– The architecture in question is the FAAR, which underpins the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer MPV and will soon appear in the next-generation Mini Countryman crossover.
– BMW has yet to confirm prices for the plug-in hybrid and electric derivatives .
DELOREAN ALPHA5 PREVIEWS A NEW ELECTRIC SPORTS CAR
– More than four decades after the original DMC DeLorean went on sale, a new iteration of the gullwing-door-equipped sports car is due to hit the scene. Dubbed the Alpha5, the reborn sports car keeps its forebear’s trick door design but ditches its blocky styling.
– The company’s mum on specifics, but it is aiming for at least 300 miles of driving range courtesy of a battery pack with a more than 100-kWh capacity. The vehicle’s top speed is a claimed 155 mph.
– it looks as though the Alpha5’s cabin centers around a pair of big screens: one in the instrument panel, the other an infotainment system that appears to rise up from the center console and onto the dashboard.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40116931/delorean-evolved-concept/
WHAT IT’S LIKE TO DRIVE GM’S BRIGHTDROP ZEVO 600 ELECTRIC DELIVERY VAN
– While behind the wheel, the Zevo 600 impressed with the fit and finish and attention to detail of the delivery van made by GM-owned BrightDrop that boasts the same Ultium battery technology as the Hummer EV, Cadillac Lyriq and Chevrolet Silverado EV. BrightDrop notes that while designing the van, it interviewed not just fleet managers and companies, but also drivers.
– The result is a workhorse of a vehicle that includes features to reduce fatigue, an incredible amount of visibility thanks to huge windows, motion-sensor lighting, 250 miles of range and a very impressive one-pedal driving system.
– When it is filled, though, BrightDrop says its van can cover as many as 250 miles between charges based on a Society of Automotive Engineers’ (SAE) standard — there’s no EPA requirement for Class 2b and Class 3 vehicles.
– That 250 miles of range is double the offering from Ford’s electric E-Transit van. BrightDrop says hitting that larger figure was important in keeping the van in service in varying types of terrain, weather and driving habits.
– the usable capacity of each Ultium module is about 8.9 kWh. With 20 modules onboard, the Zevo 600 has an approximate usable capacity of 178 kWh, although it might be a little higher based on its charge rates. To keep it on the road, the van has onboard AC charging that supports 11.5 kW, and can support DC fast-charging up to 120 kW.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/05/30/brightdrop-zevo600-review
FIAT ANNOUNCES ITS FULL RANGE WILL BE ELECTRIFIED FROM JULY
– Fiat has confirmed that every car it sells in the UK will be either hybrid or electric from July 2022.
The Italian car brand has been slowly ramping up its range of hybrids and EVs, and is now set to remove all non-electrified models from its line-up.
– Fiat started introducing electrified models with mild-hybrid versions of its 500 and Panda city cars, before taking a big step in 2021 with the launch of a brand new electric 500, a model that has proven popular.
– Fiat has already said it will become an electric-only brand by 2030, with the next model in the pipeline set to be the long-awaited Panda replacement, previewed a few years ago by the Centoventi concept car.
HONDA THINKS EVS WILL KILL MEGA-DEALERSHIPS
– Honda is planning big changes at its dealerships as the release of the Honda Prologue looms. Honda wants more EV chargers, more flexible spaces and an updated buying process that’s more in line with what buyers expect when buying an electric car in 2022 and beyond. For Honda, that updated process involves less EV inventory, less dealer space and smaller dealerships overall.
– Honda plans to redesign dealerships into modern retail spaces that are basically terminals along the way to EV ownership, not destinations. The smaller dealerships Honda envisions would be where buyers pick up their new EV after completing the purchase online, or where EV owners go for infrequent service.
– Since we’re still in the early days of digitalization, Honda’s proposed redesigns for those sprawling dealerships are only suggestions for now. None of its dealers will be forced to adopt any changes.
NEW EU RULES TO INCREASE PLUG-IN HYBRIDS’ EMISSIONS RATINGS, PUSHING BUYERS TOWARDS EVS
– proposed change to how the emissions figures of plug-in hybrid vehicles are calculated in Europe could result in more buyers going fully-electric sooner, new reports claim.
– According to UK publication Autocar, new emissions laws in the European Union will effectively kill off any major advantage held by plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) over their solely internal combustion engine-powered (ICE) and electric vehicle (EV) counterparts.
– The utility factor of a PHEV is calculated by blending the CO2 output when driving in ICE-only mode with the energy used while in electric-only mode, resulting in a combined figure which is often well below real-world outputs.
– New EU6e regulations, which are slated to come into effect by 2027
– This not only leaves owners vulnerable to higher taxes and emissions charges in some regions, but it also affects the fleet emissions of manufacturers, forcing them to either develop cleaner and more efficient ICEs
CHINA ISSUES NEW STIMULUS MEASURES TO BOOST AUTO SALES
– Local Chinese governments are releasing economic stimulus packages to boost consumption, including measures targeted at boosting car sales, as Shanghai gradually emerges from a two-month Covid-19 lockdown.
– The latest government measures, ranging from voucher programs to new quotas, could be a sign of recovery in China’s auto sector, which has seen production halted and raw material prices surged amid a spate of recent Covid-19 outbreaks across the country.
– Many Chinese cities have released a host of measures to help boost demand for cars as part of their economic stimulus package. The Shanghai municipal government on May 29 unveiled (in Chinese) 50 stimulus measures, which included giving out 40,000 new car plates and handing out cash incentives for gas car owners trading in for EVs.
– Consumers will also receive rebates of RMB 10,000 ($1,503) per car for any trade-in of gasoline vehicles for new electric vehicles (EVs)
HOW A CHEAP COMPONENT COULD HELP KILL OFF COMBUSTION CARS
– The humble wire harness, a cheap component that bundles cables together, has become an unlikely scourge of the auto industry. Some predict it could hasten the downfall of combustion cars.
– Supplies of the auto part were choked by the war in Ukraine, which is home to a significant chunk of the world’s production, with wire harnesses made there fitted in hundreds of thousands of new vehicles every year.
– The supply crunch could accelerate the plans of some legacy auto firms to switch to a new generation of lighter, machine-made harnesses designed for electric vehicles, according to interviews with more than a dozen industry players and experts.
– Harnesses for fossil-fuel cars bundle together cables stretching up to 5 km (3.1 miles) in the average vehicle, connecting everything from seat heaters to windows. They are labour-intensive to make, and almost every model’s is unique, so shifting production is hard to do quickly.
– The new generation of wire harnesses, used by electric natives like Tesla, can be made in sections on automated production lines and are lighter, a key factor because reducing an EV’s weight is crucial for extending range.
– CelLink, a Californian-based startup, has developed an entirely automated, flat and easy-to-install “flex harness”
– CelLink’s harnesses had been installed in close to a million EVs.
– Coakley said CelLink’s new $125 million factory under construction in Texas will have 25 automated production lines
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 6th June.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT