Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 30th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
NISSAN US DEALERS TOLD TO STOP TAKING NEW ORDERS FOR 2023 ARIYA
– Nissan has stopped taking orders for the 2023 Ariya in the US as production of the electric SUV in Japan is affected by supply chain issues.
– Nissan’s chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta said it is better to limit orders to what can realistically be delivered in a timely manner rather than making eager customers wait too long for their cars.
– It is not yet clear for how long Nissan plans to keep Ariya orders closed in the US. We checked the automaker’s US customer website and the Ariya page displays a “reservations are now closed” message
– “Every customer wants to have it, and we don’t want customers to wait. Ariya has been successfully accepted around the world. Even in the United States, we had to request our customers to stop the orders.”
– In its latest earnings announcement, Nissan said it had received 6,800 preorders in Japan, where it has already delivered 1,500 vehicles.
– one US dealer told Automotive News that Nissan has allotted about 6,000 vehicles to the United States market, adding that retailers were given a two-month window to order them.
SKODA COULD BUILD CZECH ‘GIGAFACTORY’ AND OTHER VW GROUP CARS
– Skoda’s main production facility in Mladá Boleslav is likely to build cars for other Volkswagen Group brands in the coming years as the company ramps up its electrification programme.
– Mladá Boleslav currently produces the Skoda Enyaq iV and the Skoda Octavia, and the Czech firm has just opened a new plant there to assemble battery systems for the MEB EV platform – the first such facility outside Germany.
– the new technology required for factories to produce EVs and the Volkswagen Group’s increased use of the shared MEB platform have “changed the way we look at production utilisation in the future”.
BMW, MINI CONSIDER AGENCY APPROACH IN EUROPE
– BMW and Mini are studying a plan to ditch franchised dealer retailing in Europe, letting retailers deliver and service vehicles sold by the factory.
– “We are currently talking with our European dealers about a move to a genuine agency model,” Nota told Automotive News Europe
– Autohaus magazine reported in March that BMW plans to end its authorized dealer system in Europe in 2024 for Mini and in 2026 for the core BMW brand, and to rely instead on agency sales for new vehicles.
– BMW’s premium competitors, Mercedes-Benz and Audi (E-tron electric cars only), are moving to the agency model. In the approach, automakers invoice customers directly and hold the inventory, while dealers receive a fixed fee for every vehicle sold.
COOL NEWS: WITH OTA UPDATE, TESLA NOW SHOWS WAITING TIME AT SUPERCHARGERS
– Tesla has just started rolling out its latest wireless update, 2022.16.0.2. It basically improves the prediction of energy consumption en-route, including new data related to the weather; it also adds an option to select combined braking and opens the option of multi-accounts in Spotify for each individual user.
– in addition, it incorporates relevant information that probably has a lot to do with the opening of Superchargers to electric cars of other brands: now it is possible to know the waiting time at each station for fast charging.
– Tesla has long been offering the occupancy rate of the Superchargers at each of its stations via its car navigator. However, this information is not enough since it was not possible to know, for instance, how long it would take to actually start charging if everyone were busy. Tesla now included this important information, at last.
TESLA’S LATEST APP UPDATE NOW SHOWS RECALLS FOR YOUR VEHICLE
– While the “service” menu previously showed appointments and information regarding upcoming services or appointments, now the company will be able to push a notification to owners that a recall is available for a specific vehicle.
– The change makes the Service menu inside the app capable of viewing webpages, and the company can push alerts and recall information there, rather than updating the app each time a recall happens.
– Tesla recalls are typically software-related, not hardware problems, meaning owners rarely need to go to a Tesla service center or do anything. Instead, the car gets a software update that fixes the problem.
YOUR PARKED TESLA WILL SOON AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE ITS WINDOWS WHEN IT STARTS TO RAIN
– Elon Musk has said yes to adding a new feature that would automatically close your Tesla’s windows if it starts raining while your car is parked.
– he request was made by Tesla owner and Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta tester Brandon (@brandonee916) this morning, with Musk replying “Sure.”
– However, there are several existing settings already in your car that allows you to basically do the same thing, even when its not raining.
– he first thing you need to do is to enable ‘Walk-Away Door Lock’ under the ‘Locks’ menu,
– Then you also want to enable ‘Close Windows on Lock.’ When the both settings are turned on, your car will automatically lock and close the windows when you walk away. If you park in a garage at home, you can also turn on the ‘Exclude Home’ setting.
TESLAS MAY SOON APPLY BRAKES FOR A CONSISTENT EXPERIENCE WHEN REGENERATIVE BRAKING IS LIMITED
– When regenerative braking is reduced and the driver lets off the accelerator pedal the car will automatically apply its regular brakes. This gives the driver a consistent driving experience whether regenerative braking is fully available or limited.
– one-foot driving style saves the use of brake pads and sends a charge back to the battery, creating additional energy. Tesla believes this is such an important feature it made the strongest regenerative braking mode standard in 2020.
– However, if the car is fully charged, the battery will not take more energy. This system has also been known to act differently in cold climates.
– In the release notes, Tesla stated, “Your car can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge.”
MAXUS PRESENTS NEW ELECTRIC VAN AND PICKUP
– SAIC brand Maxus has unveiled two new electric models. The new Mifa 9 van and the T90 EV pickup can be ordered in the UK from August 2022 and are scheduled for delivery from the first quarter of 2023.
– The first of the two model premieres at the Commercial Vehicle Show in Birmingham is the Mifa 9, which Maxus first showed at the Guangzhou Auto Show in China in November 2021. The electric seven-seater is 5.27 metres long, a smooth two metres wide and 1.84 metres high. With a 93 kWh battery with unspecified cells from CATL, an NEDC range of 520 kilometres should be possible.
– The Maxus T90 EV electric pickup is the electric version of the T90 available in China. The electric motor has an output of 150 kW, the battery has an energy content of 88.55 kWh. Despite the large battery, the range is given as only 320 kilometres in the WLTP City. In the combined WLTP, the range should therefore be significantly less.
APTERA HAS MORE THAN 22,000 RESERVATIONS
– Aptera announced that it has now received more than 22,000 reservations for its solar-powered electric car, which get to 1,000 miles of range, as it gets closer to production.
– In 2020, Aptera relaunched with the unveiling of a new updated battery- and solar-powered version of its super-efficient three-wheeler design. It claims a range of up to 1,000 miles and achieves that by making the vehicle extremely lightweight, with three wheels and a drag coefficient (Cd) of only 0.13.
– With that kind of efficiency, it can achieve 250 miles of range on a fairly small battery pack, resulting in a vehicle starting at just $25,900. Buyers can also configure the Aptera with a battery pack that extends the range to 400 miles for $29,800, 600 miles for $34,600, and 1,000 miles for $44,900.
– . Aptera is still aiming to bring its vehicle to production by the end of the year and recently announced that it has now over 22,000 reservations:
DALHOUSIE RESEARCHERS FIND LOW-VOLTAGE NMC532 CELLS HAVE HIGHER ENERGY DENSITY THAN LFP
– Researchers led by Professor Jeff Dahn at Dalhousie University in Canada report that low-voltage NMC cells—particularly those balanced and charged to 3.8V rather than ≥4.2V—show better coulombic efficiency, less capacity fade and higher energy density compared to LFP cells and are projected to yield lifetimes approaching a century at 25 °C. An open-access paper on their work is published in the Journal of The Electrochemical Society.
– Batteries containing NMC positive electrodes are typically high energy cells, owing to the high specific capacity of the materials and high average voltage. Higher voltage operation leads to more oxidizing conditions, can limit lifetime and can lead to stability and safety concerns in the charged state.
– LFP (LiFePO4) cells provide less energy, due to the material having both smaller specific and volumetric capacity, as well as lower average voltage, but have superior stability and safety characteristics compared to NMC.
– The NMC532 cells, when constructed with only sufficient graphite to be charged to 3.80 V, have an energy density that exceeds that of the LFP cells and a cycle-life that greatly exceeds that of the LFP cells at 40 °C, 55 °C and 70 °C.
– Applications that require immense cycle life, such as stationary energy storage, EV batteries serving as vehicle-to-grid storage or battery leasing services can benefit from such cell designs as cost per unit of lifetime energy throughput is definitely superior for low voltage NMC compared to LFP cells. The initial cost imbalance can possibly be alleviated as recycling efforts are improved and lower the economic pressure on certain resources, such as cobalt and nickel.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220530-nmc532.html
ZEEKR REACHES 20,000TH ZEEKR 001 DELIVERY MILESTONE
– Zeekr, Geely’s premium electric vehicle (EV) brand, announced today that it has reached 20,000 deliveries of its only model, the Zeekr 001
– Zeekr took 192 days from the brand’s announcement to the delivery of its first vehicle. Its first 10,000 units were delivered in 110 days and the second 10,000 units were delivered in 107 days, according to the company.
– The Zeekr 001 is currently available in three versions, two of which are priced at RMB 299,000 and the other at RMB 386,000. The fastest model can accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometers per hour in 3.8 seconds, and the longest-range version has an NEDC range of 712 kilometers.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 6th June.
Email your answers to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT