Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 29th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
2022 RIVIAN R1T 70 MPH RANGE TEST
– The R1T has a combined EPA range rating of 314 miles per charge. However, that’s with the 21″ Road wheels. Rivian also offers 20″ All-Terrain and 22″ Sport tire & wheel packages, both of which will reduce the driving range.
– the 20″ All-Terrain wheels that we had on our R1T, will offer a 40-mile range penalty. Therefore, the R1T we tested would have a combined EPA-rated range of about 274 miles
– The weather conditions weren’t optimal for the range test. When we started out the temperature was 45° F (7° C) and there was a slight drizzle. The rain stopped pretty quickly and the temperature only rose up to about 49° F (9° C). However, the biggest problem was the wind. We experienced winds up to 16 mph that got progressively worse during the range test.
– We finished up covering 253.7 miles and using 125 kWh to do so. That works out to an average consumption rate of 2.03 miles per kWh (30.54 kWh/100km). Even though we only came up about 2 miles short of the estimated EPA highway range for an R1T with the 20″ All-Terrain tire & wheel combo, we’re pretty sure the R1T would have gone significantly further, perhaps 20 miles more, if we didn’t have such high winds and if the temperature was 30 degrees higher.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/reviews/588696/rivian-r1t-range-test-review/
RIVIAN ADDS SOFT SAND MODE WITH LOW REGEN AND HIGH POWER SETTINGS
– Multiple-time competitor Emme Hall and navigator Rebecca Donaghe piloted a new Rivian R1T last year at the Rebelle Rally, and Hall raved about her experience with the all-electric truck overall. However, there was one particular aspect she found challenging in the final stage tackling the dunes of Glamis: driving in the sand.
– Rivian just announced its answer to that problem by issuing an over-the-air software update that adds a new drive mode especially for soft sand. This is the ninth drive mode Rivian offers, the others split evenly between on-road and off-road options.
– A Rivian spokesperson told me that the analysis of the truck’s performance at the Rebelle Rally last year was a contributing factor to the update. With this revision, engineers loosened up traction control and goosed the torque while retaining the vehicle’s 50/50 power distribution.
REPORT: VOLKSWAGEN AERO B ESTATE TO BE NAMED “ID.7 TOURER”
– The long-awaited production versions of the Volkswagen ID.Vizzion (saloon) and ID.Space Vizzion (estate) concepts, shown respectively in 2018 and 2019, are expected to enter the market as ID.7 and ID.7 Tourer.
– The two models were known also under the codename of “Aero” or “Aero B”, but according to Auto Motor Und Sport, the European Patent Office has recently listed the name “ID.7 Tourer” (number 018703388 dated May 17, 2022), which combined with previously protected names from ID.1 up to ID.9, would make sense.
– So far, Volkswagen has used ID.3, ID.4 and ID.6 (in China) names, while the Volkswagen ID. Buzz went its non-numerical way. ID.7 saloon and ID.7 Tourer estate as all-electric counterparts of the Volkswagen Passat sound reasonable.
– The saloon most likely will be launched in 2023, while the estate probably will come in 2024.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/588449/volkswagen-aero-b-estate-id7-tourer/
BMW NEUE KLASSE ELECTRIC VEHICLES TO USE CATL CYLINDRICAL BATTERY CELLS
– BMW aims to slash battery costs for electric vehicles by 30 percent with the introduction of the Neue Klasse platform featuring cylindrical cells. The disclosure was made a few weeks ago when insiders assumed the supplier would be one of the existing partners: CATL, Eve Energy, Samsung SDI, or Northvolt. According to Automotive News, Chinese battery giant Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited has inked a deal with the automaker to provide the new batteries.
– With the new wave of electric vehicles on the Neue Klasse architecture, BMW believes it can achieve the same profit margins it enjoys for vehicles powered by combustion engines. The German luxury brand refrained from going into any details about its deal with CATL. The latter also did not elaborate on the matter, only saying it has reached an agreement with the automaker.
– Switching from prismatic cells to round ones will take place in 2025 when the first NE-based electric vehicle is scheduled to go on sale. It’ll compete in the 3 Series segment and is going to be assembled in Hungary
HOW MAHINDRA’S VW MEB-BASED EV MAY OPEN THE DOOR TO THE US MARKET
– The Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra is a huge player in its home market and is a multinational automotive giant that makes not only cars but also motorcycles, tractors, and commercial vehicles. Headquartered in Mumbai, India, they have been around since 1945. So it is safe to say they know a thing or two about being on top of the ever-evolving automotive market.
– Mahindra has partnered with another automotive giant, the biggest one in the world – Volkswagen.
– Mahindra has announced that it will introduce a slew of brand-new vehicles, some of which will be next-generation electric models for the global market. The partnership with Volkswagen suggests that these vehicles will be built on the proven VW’s Modular electric drive Matrix (MEB) platform.
– Volkswagen gets to work with a company with expertise in making cost-effective manufacturing processes and has access to manufacturing plants with huge manpower and an affordable workforce.
– Mahindra, they get access to the MEB open vehicle design platform. It will allow them to fast track the development of an electric vehicle portfolio.
SHOCKING NEXT-GEN NISSAN GT-R TO GO FULL-BLOWN ELECTRIC
– News that the legendary Nissan GT-R will return as a fully blown electric car is raising eyebrows in motoring circles.
– Expected to rival the likes of the Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron GT, or even the 1000-hp plus Tesla Model S Plaid and Lucid Air Dream, the all-new GT-R EV is rumored to employ a 1,000-kW battery pack that translates into 1,340-hp. And according to a report in Japan, development of the battery electric supercar is being led by Nissan North America.
– There were rumors of a hybrid version, but according to Japan’s biggest-selling car magazine Best Car, the only real answer was electric. Full electric.
– According to reports, Nissan R&D has bought a few Porsche Taycan Turbo S models and have taken them apart with a fine tooth comb as they endeavor to create a supercar to rival the German thoroughbred.
– Nissan wants to utilize its racing program to feedback its racing electric motor and battery technology to the new GT-R. Incorporating part of that Formula E team and knowhow in the next-gen GTR’s R&D schedule is a must as is picking apart the Taycan.
GWM ORA LAUNCHING IN THE UK IN AUTUMN 2022
– GWM ORA announces ‘Funky Cat’ as the name for its first UK model. The Funky Cat First Edition will start from £30,495 after PiCG. Additional trim levels to launch from 2023. Funky Cat First Edition is expected to be on sale in Autumn, with customer deliveries to follow soon after GWM ORA UK will launch a ‘Queue Jump’ scheme in June.
– ORA products will also be available to purchase through the ‘ORA Online’ sales platform, which is planned to launch in August. This hybrid approach will provide the ideal blend of physical and digital space to satisfy a broad range of customer requirements.
– 48kWh battery offering a WLTP range of 193 miles.
– Adaptive Cruise Control, 360 Degree Cameras, Reversing Camera, LED Headlights and 18” Alloy Wheels. Customers will also benefit from integrated Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as wireless phone charging and electric front seats. In addition, the vehicle features comprehensive charging capability with Type 2, 6.6kW single-phase AC and 11kW three-phase AC charging as standard. Funky Cat First Edition will also feature a maximum of 80kW DC rapid charging
Original Source : https://uk.ora-eu.com/gwm-ora-uk-launch-autumn-2022/
300-MILE ADVENTURE EBIKE GETS WIRED FOR EVEREST-LEVEL EPICS
– In 2017, Delfast set an official Guinness World Record for the farthest distance traveled via electric bike at an impressive 228 miles. Colorado’s Optibike is now offering a beefed-up ebike with enough battery power in its bulging frame to travel about 30 percent farther. The bike is called the R22 Everest because it’s the “only ebike able to climb Mt. Everest on a single charge … if there was a road.” Everest or not, 300 miles of on/off-road range per charge equates to some epic bikepacking adventure.
– . That oversized case is necessary to house the Everest’s 3,260-Wh 52-V lithium-ion battery pack, which is quite literally two of the standard R22’s 1,630-Wh packs housed in one case. That case can be quickly removed from the frame via three bolts.
– The 300-plus-mile (483-plus-km) range estimate is based on a 160-lb (72.5-kg) rider going 15 mph (24 km/h) using the pedal-assist set on low. Optibike uses that same rider weight to estimate ranges at higher speeds, which break down to 220 miles (354 km) at 20 mph (32 km/h), 100 miles (161 km) at 28 mph (45 km/h) and 55 miles (89 km) at the top speed of 36 mph (58 km/h).
All estimates assume that the rider is pedaling and not merely throttling forward solely on motor power.
– Optibike equips the R22 Everest with five electric modes and capitalizes on the split-battery nature of the Everest’s pack with an “Out and Back” feature. A manual switch lets the rider select one battery or the other so he or she can have a full second battery at the ready, ensuring enough juice to turn around and complete the journey back.
– At $17,900 to start, the R22 Everest is definitely not the bike for those looking to dabble with their first ebike
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/bicycles/300-mile-optibike-everest-adventure-ebike/
LONDON HOSTS FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC SCOOTER RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
– London was the first city in the world to host a new racing series involving electric scooters, where riders reached over 60mph and cornered at 60-degree angles on the high-performance battery vehicles.
– The eSkootr Championship (eSC), the world’s first micromobility racing series, is intended to pioneer advanced e-mobility technologies and encourage the adoption of low-emission personal transportation.
– Unlike the vast majority of commuter e-scooters, the S1-X uses dual hub motors in combination with a 1.33kWh battery. While a street scooter may have around 250W of power, the S1-X has a claimed combined 12000W.
– The 2022 eSC season will be spread across six rounds. The next round will be held in Switzerland later this month before the competition travels to Italy, France, Spain and, finally, the USA in October.
COST TO RAPIDLY CHARGE ELECTRIC CAR SOARS 20% IN EIGHT MONTHS
– The cost of rapidly charging an electric car has risen by a fifth in just eight months due to soaring energy prices, new data has shown.According to the RAC, the average price of using a public rapid charger in the UK increased from 36.7p per kilowatt hour (kWh) in September 2021 to 44.6p per kWh this month.
– This has added £4 to the typical cost of completing an 80% rapid charge of a family-sized electric vehicle (EV) with a 64kWh battery.The increase was driven by a 65% spike in the wholesale cost of electricity, which in turn was pushed up by surging gas prices, exacerbated by the Ukraine war.
– However, charging EVs still remained “excellent value” and a cheaper alternative to petrol and diesel, the RAC said.
– It currently costs around 10p per mile to use a rapid charger, up from 8p last September.Over the same period the per mile cost of filling a petrol car has soared from 15p to 19p, with the price for diesel models rising from 16p to 21p, the analysis revealed. Just this month diesel prices rose to a record high of more than £1.80 a litre.
NIO, TESLA SHOWROOMS IN SHANGHAI EXPECTED TO REOPEN SOON
– The Shanghai showrooms of automakers including NIO (NYSE: NIO, HKG: 9866, SGX: NIO) and Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), which have been closed since late March due to Covid controls, are expected to reopen soon.
– Starting June 1, Shanghai will eliminate a whitelist that companies must enter to resume work and production, local officials said today.
– Shanghai is home to Tesla’s factory in China and to the global headquarters of NIO, though NIO has its plant in Hefei, in central China’s Anhui province.
– The eastern Chinese city went into a phased lockdown on March 28, and Tesla’s production was suspended from then and resumed on April 19.
– As of May 19, Tesla’s Shanghai plant has seen a cumulative total of 26,000 vehicles roll off the line since production resumed, China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said in an article posted on its official WeChat account earlier this month.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s your dream driveway?
But there are some rules: 2 or 3 vehicles, budget is $150,000 USD or equivalent wherever you are.
Email your answers to Martyn: email@example.com
For the week that’s in it…catch me on Twitter
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT