Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 21st May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN’S GLOBAL PRODUCTION NETWORK FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES GROWS
– Volkswagen is expanding its global production network for electric vehicles by starting to make the all-electric ID.4 in Emden. Emden is now the second site for electric vehicles in Germany following Zwickau and also joins the Chinese plants in Anting and Foshan.
– Chattanooga (ID.4) and Hanover will also commence production this year. As a result, Volkswagen is creating the conditions in 2022 for building 1.2 million all-electric vehicles a year based on the MEB in the future at its sites in Europe, the U.S. and China.
– Apart from the ID.4, Emden will make another model – the AERO B – next year. In addition, production of the iconic ID. Buzz will commence this year at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles in Hanover. It will be joined from 2023 on by the ID.3 made in Wolfsburg, while a further electric vehicle – the Trinity – will then roll off the assembly line at the location starting in 2026.
– The ID.4’s start-up is on schedule, despite the global challenges during the two-year conversion phase. Emden’s maximum production capacity at the end of 2022 will be 800 units per working day, depending on the supply situation.
– In the first quarter of 2022 alone, Volkswagen delivered more than 30,000 units – meaning every one-in-two all-electric vehicles from Volkswagen is an ID.4. 163,000 units have been delivered since its launch, making the ID.4 the Volkswagen brand’s and the Group’s best-selling e-vehicle. In many markets, the electric SUV jumped to the top of the sales charts in its very first year and was the best-selling all-electric vehicle in countries such as Denmark, Finland, Ireland or Sweden. There are currently around 73,000 orders on hand worldwide for the successful model
BYD’S SEAL MODEL TO UTILIZE INNOVATIVE CELL-TO-BODY TECHNOLOGY
– On Friday, Chinese automaker BYD unveiled its foremost technology called CTB (cell to body), which allows the battery to be integrated into the vehicle body itself. The first EV model to utilize the technology will be the Seal series of vehicles.
– Before the CTB solution, the most common method with which to manufacture batteries was with CTP (Cell To Pack), that is, the battery cell was directly integrated into the battery pack. The world’s first CTP battery pack from Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL) went offline in 2019, and was successively introduced on Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y, XPeng P7 and other models in the last two years. The blade battery released by BYD in March 2020 also used CTP technology.
– CTB solution allows the sandwich structure originally used for the battery pack to be used throughout the vehicle, with the top cover of the battery pack making up the vehicle body’s flooring. This design allows for a 100 percent increase in body torsional stiffness over conventional designs
– The standard-range rear-wheel-drive version is equipped with a 150kW motor, 61.4 kWh battery, and a CLTC cruising range of 550km. The four-wheel-drive performance version has an output power of 390kW, 82.5 kWh battery and a CLTC cruising range of 650km.
GM PATENT: ELECTRIC TRUCKS COULD CHARGE OTHER EVS DURING FAST-CHARGING, WITH DUAL PORTS
– Electric vehicles have the potential to become mobile power banks for our houses and worksites. But as more scenarios become viable, would two ports be better than one?
– That appears to be something GM has either pondered, or saved for the future, with a recent patent filing showing a setup that might get the most out of GM’s double-layer pack
– The proposed setup relies on a series of controllers and switches, in addition to the GM pack’s baked-in ability to operate as two different packs in series or in parallel, thus permitting the top and bottom to temporarily be wired in series. The latter allows 800-volt charging to take advantage of speedier 350-kw DC fast-charging hardware.
– GM outlines that one charging port could be configured to charge at 800V or 400V, while the other charge port would be connected to the other “pack” and only be 400V. It could connect them in series while charging both the upper and lower packs at the same time using 800V and the first port. Or it could use both ports to charge the upper and lower packs simultaneously at 400V, with the controller capable of selectively connecting them in parallel.
HONG KONG TO BEGIN SIX-MONTH TRIAL ON E-MOBILITY DEVICES NEXT WEEK
– A six-month pilot trial on the use of electric mobility devices will begin next week at Pak Shek Kok, the Transport Department announced on Friday.
– Two main types of electric mobility devices – motorized personal mobility devices and power-assisted pedal cycles, will be covered in the pilot trial, according to the department.
– The department said it aims to gather more operational experience on the use of e-mobility devices for short-distance commuting on a cycle track between a workplace and a transport hub.
PEUGEOT 308 AND 308 SW HYBRIDS LAUNCH IN THE UK
– PEUGEOT has launched the New PEUGEOT 308 and 308 SW in the UK.
– From launch, both the New 308 and 308 SW are available with a choice of two plug-in hybrid powertrains in HYBRID 180 or HYBRID 225 variants. Both feature PEUGEOT’s 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine and are powered by a 12.4kWh battery connected to an 81kW electric motor. Capable of up to 37 miles (WLTP) from a single charge
‘ELON MUSK’S CRASH COURSE’: 3 KEY ARGUMENTS FROM THE TESLA DOCUMENTARY
– Informed by the reporting of the New York Times’ Cade Metz and Neal Boudette, director Emma Schwartz’s “Elon Musk’s Crash Course” raises a skeptical eyebrow toward Tesla’s vaunted Autopilot feature
– Despite Tesla’s claims that its technology would revolutionize cars for the safer, its cars have sometimes failed to recognize certain safety threats while in Autopilot mode — and Tesla drivers have had fatal road accidents while using it.
– Some former engineers at Tesla privately harbored doubts about Musk’s promises to the public about the Tesla’s ability to self-drive.
– Tesla enjoys substantial public support anyway.
TESLA STRUCTURAL BATTERY PACK IS REMOVABLE, BUT IT’S QUITE AN ORDEAL
– Tesla’s latest service manual does reveal that Tesla’s structural battery pack is removable – something that was thought of as a problem due to the design.
– It’s actually doable, but it is quite an ordeal.
– They call it a “structural battery,” meaning that the battery is not just an energy device but an actual structural part of the vehicle.
– it did raise a few questions about what happens if you need a battery pack replacement since the pack is now part of the body.
– According to the service manual (hat tip to Brian Krause for spotting it), it takes a total of 143 steps just to remove the structural battery pack.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/05/20/tesla-structural-battery-pack-removable/
TESLA MODEL X SEES 71 PERCENT OF RANGE WHILE TOWING A LUXURY TRAVEL TRAILER
– the team at Bowlus, a luxury travel trailer manufacturer, strapped one of its trailers to a Tesla Model X to see how much of a range penalty customers would expect.
– Surprisingly, the Bowlus Terra Firma travel trailer only dinged the Model X’s range by about 100 miles. With the trailer in tow, the Model X traveled 235 miles according to Bowlus. This is, expectedly, down from the Tesla Model X’s 330-mile range, but considering the circumstances, this 29 percent drop in range isn’t as bad as might have been imagined.
TESLA WANTS STAFF TO STAY IN CHINA FACTORY UNTIL MID-JUNE
– Tesla Inc. plans to keep employees at its Shanghai factory working in a so-called closed loop system — where staff are ferried to and from work and tested for Covid-19 regularly — until mid-June, people familiar with the matter said, even as Chinese authorities move to ease wider lockdown restrictions in the city.
Tesla East Bay Club |Fremont| 🇺🇦🕊🦊 on Twitter: “BREAKING: @Tesla releases their Memorial Day Supercharging plans. Select chargers will be free off-peak. Find yours in your neck of the woods here: 👉🏼 https://t.co/pRtWyOgnqO https://t.co/XZhbpOCGpD” / Twitter
– BREAKING: @Tesla releases their Memorial Day Supercharging plans. Select chargers will be free off-peak.
Original Source : https://twitter.com/teslaownersebay/status/1527844679345405954
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to help educate your friends, family or colleagues about electric cars?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES