Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 19th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
HYUNDAI MOTOR GROUP PLANS TO INVEST $16.5 BILLION IN S.KOREA EV BUSINESS
– Hyundai Motor Group said on Wednesday it plans to invest a total of 21 trillion won ($16.54 billion) through 2030 for the expansion of its electric vehicle (EV) business in South Korea. The South Korean auto group, which houses Hyundai Motor Co and Kia Corp, plans to annually build 1.44 million units of EVs in South Korea by 2030. The 1.44 million units of EV production volume in South Korea would account for about 45% of a combined global EV production capacity of 3.23 million EV units in 2030, the auto group said in a statement.
TESLA MODEL Y STANDARD RANGE WITH 4680 CELLS OFFERED TO CUSTOMERS NEAR GIGA TEXAS
– Tesla sent out emails to reservation holders near Giga Texas, giving them the option to change their order to the new Model Y All Wheel Drive. The Model Y AWD variant is the first to feature Tesla’s structural battery pack and 4680 cells.
– Tesla customer @mmsganesh shared a sample of the email reservation holders are receiving from the company. Tesla shared that deliveries for the latest Model Y configuration are weeks away in the email.
– The new Model Y AWD configuration with Tesla’s 4680 battery cells can go up to 279 on a single charge and accelerate 0-60 in 5.0 seconds.
TESLA CHARGING HUB IN BARSTOW TO HAVE 100 STATIONS, MOST IN US
– Electric car manufacturer Tesla Inc. is building the United States’ largest electric car charging hub in Barstow, a remote Mojave Desert town at the midpoint between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
– Mayor Paul Courtney revealed the world’s most valuable carmaker is already months into construction of Superchargers
– during a Barstow City Council meeting Monday while praising the city staff’s dealmaking skills.
– It will be the largest charging station in the United States, the mayor said. The current largest U.S. charging station is a 70-space location
– A fence currently obscures the early-stage Supercharger site confirmed by Courtney. It sits on roughly four acres of desert, which connects to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Barstow, spanning the area between the western end of the hotel’s parking lot and the eastern barrier of I-15.
– The Daily Press couldn’t identify references to the new Supercharger project in any news releases or financial disclosures from Tesla or from Edison, nor in any past public agendas of the Barstow City Council or of the Southern California Association of Governments, or SCAG, a broader entity Courtney cited as having behind-the-scenes involvement on the public-official side of the project.
BYD SECURES $593 MILLION WORTH OF LITHIUM SUPPLIES FROM LOCAL PRODUCER
– Locking in supply is critical for a new energy vehicle (NEV) maker at a time when raw material prices continue to rise.
– BYD (OTCMKTS: BYDDY, HKG: 1211) will buy and commission lithium products from local lithium producer Shenzhen Chengxin Lithium Group (SHE: 002240) for an estimated 4 billion yuan ($593 million) in 2022, according to an announcement today by the NEV maker.
– The company is one of China’s largest lithium producers, with first-quarter revenue of RMB 1.69 billion
– Previously, BYD’s lithium supply was mainly purchased from other companies according to market prices, without long-term stable supply cooperation with upstream lithium producers, BYD said on March 23, adding that last year the price of lithium rose sharply, bringing about a tight supply.
– This is the second consecutive month that BYD has sold more than 100,000 NEVs, another record high, after selling 104,878 units in March. It stopped production and sales of internal combustion engine vehicles from March.
In addition to producing NEVs, BYD is also China’s second-largest power battery supplier after Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd
JOLT TO ROLL OUT FREE EV CHARGING IN NEW ZEALAND, STARTING AT MITRE 10
– New South Wales-based global EV charging company Jolt will roll out a network of free and fast electric vehicle (EV) chargers around New Zealand.
– Jolt already boasts EV charging networks in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. On Wednesday, it said that it will start rolling out free EV chargers in New Zealand also. The roll out will start in July in a partnership with trade hardware store chain Mitre 10.
– EV owners in New Zealand, as in its other service areas, will have access to 7kWh of free charging per day using the Jolt app. Drivers can pay via the Jolt app, if after that, they need to charge for longer.
– Jolt installs its EV chargers with modern advertising screens that allows another revenue stream to pay for the cost of the charger and the electricity needed to power the charger.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2022/05/18/jolt-ev-charging-new-zealand/
VOLVO TRUCKS IS OPENING ITS VERY FIRST BATTERY ASSEMBLY PLANT IN BELGIUM
– Volvo Trucks is opening its very first battery assembly plant. Located in Ghent, Belgium, the plant will supply ready-to-install batteries for Volvo Trucks’ full electric heavy-duty trucks.
– In the new battery plant, cells and modules from Samsung SDI will be assembled into battery packs that are tailor-made for Volvo Trucks´ heavy-duty electric range: Volvo FH, Volvo FM and Volvo FMX. Series production starts in the third quarter of this year.
– Each battery pack has a capacity of 90 kWh and the customer can choose to have up to six battery packs (540 kWh) in a truck. The number of batteries depends on each customer’s specific range and load capacity demands.
– With production of three heavy-duty full electric models starting this year in Europe, Volvo Trucks will offer a total of six electric truck models globally, covering everything from city distribution and refuse handling to regional transport and construction work.
PRODUCTION IN GRÜNHEIDE STILL BEHIND SCHEDULE – RAMP-UP EXPECTED IN JULY
– Production at the German Tesla factory in Grünheide is apparently still running at a low level. According to a media report, only 86 Model Y Performance per day are currently coming off the production line.
– As Teslamag also reports, citing “two well-informed sources”, the work at the individual stations takes about twice as long instead of 90 seconds. In addition, the electric cars would have to be intensively reworked afterwards.
– it was reported in mid-April that around 30,000 vehicles would be built in Gigafactory 4 by the end of this year. By the end of April, production was even to be increased to 1,000 Model Y per week, as reported by Automobilwoche with reference to company circles. However, with the current 86 Model Y performance per day, Tesla is far from the target.
– At the moment, there would be a shortage of batteries because deliveries from China are not forthcoming. The drives also come from Shanghai. But here improvement seems to be in sight: local production of drives is to start in June. From the second half of July, a much faster pace is planned.
TOYOTA, NISSAN, HONDA ARE LEAST PREPARED FOR ZERO-EMISSION SHIFT, STUDY SHOWS
– Japanese automakers Toyota, Nissan and Honda are the least prepared for a zero-emission vehicle transition compared with their global competitors, according to research released from climate think tank InfluenceMap.
– By 2029, just 14 percent of Toyota’s worldwide production is forecast to be full-electric vehicles, rising to 18 percent for Honda and 22 percent for Nissan, according to the study, which is based on an examination of future production data from IHS Markit.
– Japanese automakers have lagged behind global peers in rolling out electric cars and the country’s EV penetration rate is barely 1 percent.
– Toyota, and the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, which is chaired by Toyota, meanwhile continue to promote hydrogen as one of the key solutions to carbon neutrality, along with EVs.
– Across all automakers, hydrogen-powered vehicles are forecast to account for just 0.1 percent of global production by 2029, the study found.
EXCLUSIVE CHINA IN TALKS WITH AUTOMAKERS ON EV SUBSIDY EXTENSION
– China is in talks with automakers about extending costly subsidies for electric vehicles (EV) that were set to expire in 2022, aiming to keep a key market growing as the broader economy slows, three people familiar with the matter said.
– Government departments including the Ministry of Information and Industrial Technology (MIIT) are considering a continuation of subsidies to EV buyers in 2023, said the people, who declined to be named as the discussions were private.
– Since the subsidies began in 2009, some 100 billion yuan ($14.8 billion) has been handed out to buyers including commercial fleet operators up to end-2021
– One specific measure under review would roll back a planned purchase tax increase for qualified electric and partly electric vehicles, two people briefed on the discussions told Reuters.
– For this year, there is no purchase tax for such vehicles, but the government had planned to raise the tax to 10% of the purchase price in 2023. Instead, the rate would be raised to just 5%, they said.
– In the highly developed China EV market, smaller battery-powered city cars, most of which don’t qualify for subsidies, make up 40% of EV sales, according to auto consultancy JATO, and cost on average just under $4,000.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to help educate your friends, family or colleagues about electric cars?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT