Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 18th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
CHRIS HARRIS DRIVES 1,000 HP EXPERIMENTAL ELECTRIC PORSCHE CAYMAN GT4 RACER
– Porsche has already announced that it will produce electric sports cars in the future and it just revealed a one-off electric racer based on the current Cayman. Called the 718 Cayman GT4 ePerformance, it has full competition aero and runs two upgraded motors that can give it a combined 986 hp horsepower and briefly even up to 1,073 horsepower.
– Chris Harris drove it for the Collecting Cars YouTube channel and he also had quite a long and interesting chat with Matthias Scholz, Porsche’s GT racing vehicle project manager
16 TESLA SUPERCHARGER SITES OPEN TO NON-TESLA VEHICLES IN THE UK
– Tesla has confirmed that, from today, certain Supercharger network locations will be available for non-Tesla electric vehicles, as part of an expansion of a Europe-wide pilot scheme to allow vehicles from other brands to charge using the network.
– Launched in November last year in the Netherlands, the expansion of the pilot scheme means selected stations in Spain, Belgium, Sweden, and Austria join 15 UK Supercharger stations being opened to electric cars of all brands, compatible with the Supercharger Type 2 CCS connector.
– The UK’s 15 stations contain 158 individual charging points
– 20 per cent of the UK’s Supercharger network
– Folkestone, Grays (East London/Thurrock), Uxbridge, Birmingham, Cardiff, Wokingham (near Reading), Thetford, Trumpington (near Cambridge), Banbury, Manchester and Flint Mountain (near Chester). Scottish locations include Adderstone, Dundee and Aviemore. Welsh coverage includes the superchargers at Aberystwyth.
SWEDISH BATTERY FACTORY NORTHVOLT BEGINS SHIPMENTS TO ELECTRIC-CAR MAKER
– orthvolt AB became the first European firm to start commercial shipments to a carmaker last week, giving shape to the continent’s five-year push to counter Asian dominance in supplying energy cells for electric vehicles.
– The first deliveries, which came from Northvolt’s plant in Skelleftea, Sweden, were made on schedule, a spokesman said. The company is hiring about 150 people per month at the plant, which currently employs about 1,000 workers, he added.
– Northvolt, which plans to scale up production over the rest of the year, recently said it had secured more than $50 billion in contracts from electric-car manufacturers
EUROPE’S FIRST HOMEGROWN BATTERY PLANT FROM NORTHVOLT BEGINS SHIPMENTS
– For years, China has fostered closer ties with mining companies in Africa and South America, potentially exposing manufacturers elsewhere to supply bottlenecks.
Northvolt, which plans to scale up production over the rest of the year, recently said it had secured more than $50 billion in contracts from automakers including BMW, Volkswagen Group, Volvo and Polestar.
EUROPE’S BIGGEST BATTERY RECYCLING HUB GOES LIVE
– Hydrovolt has opened the doors to what it claims is ‘the largest battery recycling plant in Europe’. The site is located in Fredrikstad, Norway, where it will process 25 000 electric vehicle batteries (EV) per year.
– The recycling hub is a joint venture between aluminium company Hydro and battery producer Northvolt. It will be able to handle 12 000 tonnes of material annually, which is said to be enough to cater to Norway’s entire battery waste stream.
– able to recover 95% of the materials used in EV batteries. This includes plastics, copper, aluminium as well as the black mass, containing nickel, cobalt, manganese and lithium. Hydro will have access to the extracted aluminium while Northvolt will acquire the battery metals so it can create new batteries.
2023 GENESIS GV60 ELECTRIC SUV PRICE AND AVAILABILITY ANNOUNCED
– The electric compact crossover SUV will start at $59,980 for the base Advanced model, while the premium Performance trim rings up at $68,980
– will square off against like the Audi Q4 E-Tron ($51,095 to $58,695), Tesla Model Y ($64,440 to $69,440) and Volvo XC40 Recharge ($52,795 to $59,245)
– Standard features include some industry-first technologies like Face Connect, which works with a door-mounted Near Infra-Red camera and fingerprint sensor to provide 100% keyless access and keyless start — that’s right, you don’t need a fob at all, just your face and your fingerprint, just like a phone
– The GV60 also includes Vehicle To Load as a standard feature.
– A full suite of advanced driver assist systems is standard, even on base models .Additionally, all models come with two-motor all-wheel-drive powertrains as standard. Advanced trims come with 314 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque, while Performance models crank out 429 hp and the same peak-torque output. That’s enough to hit 60 mph from a standstill in 4 seconds.
– GV60 should hit up to 248 miles to a charge in the Advanced trim
GENESIS GV60 THREE YEARS OF FREE CHARGING FROM ELECTRIFY AMERICA
– Electrify America has announced yet another agreement with an EV automaker, this time with Genesis Motor America. As part of the agreement, new 2023 Genesis GV60 owners will gain access to free 30-minute charging sessions for their first three years of EV ownership.
– Electrify America shared news of the agreement in a press release today, marking its seventeenth charging collaboration with an EV automaker.
– Genesis is currently advertising the GV60 as “coming in Spring 2022 with extremely limited availability,” but as we sit about a week away from Memorial Day Weekend – the unofficial kickoff of summer – we have yet to see any US deliveries.
USED MODEL 3 AND IONIQ 5 ARE NOW WORTH MORE THAN BRAND NEW
– Tesla Model 3 is Australia’s most popular EV and new data shows its resale prices are at an all time high. In April 2022, an average used 2021 Tesla Model 3 owner paid $68,437. These EVs had an average of 7,458 kms on them with over 73 cars analysed.
– For context, many owners in Australia paid around $65,000 driveaway for a base RWD (previously SR+) model before Tesla Model 3 prices increased in March 2022. As the wait times increase, so will the demand for used EVs and the prices being paid for them.
– The Hyundai Ioniq 5 has proven to be a very popular EV. However, buyers have found it extremely difficult to secure orders for new cars as limited tranches go on sale. (Another 65 will be offered on Wednesday).
– Recent sold prices data from carloop shows that three have recently been sold on the used car market so far in 2022. Buyers have paid an average of $91,768.
– These cars on average had 4,231 kms on the clock. That’s nearly $10,000 more for the AWD model than the driveaway price paid by their first owners in Australia.
– With supply of many new EVs dwindling in 2022 and the subsidies available in most states and territories, the demand for used EVs will only continue to grow.
ŠKODA AUTO LAUNCHES PRODUCTION OF MEB BATTERY SYSTEMS AT MLADÁ BOLESLAV HEADQUARTERS
– ŠKODA AUTO has started manufacturing battery systems for all-electric vehicles based on the Volkswagen Group’s Modular Electrification Toolkit (MEB) in Mladá Boleslav. This makes the car manufacturer’s main plant the only production facility for MEB battery systems in Europe outside Germany. Around 250 employees will soon be assembling more than 250,000 MEB battery systems a year on the newly constructed production line. In addition to ŠKODA vehicles, these will also be installed in MEB models made by Volkswagen, Audi and SEAT.
– The Czech car manufacturer’s headquarters is the only production site in Europe outside Germany where MEB battery systems are manufactured: The smallest version with eight modules has a capacity of 55 kWh and the medium version with nine modules stores 62 kWh. The largest battery with 12 modules boasts an 82-kWh capacity. In addition to the modules, each containing 24 cells, the components of an MEB battery system include a battery housing with integrated cooling system, a battery management system and the requisite electrical connections.
TEXAS GAINS NATION’S FIRST ELECTRIC VEHICLE TECH CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
– A Texas college is now home to the first electric vehicle (EV) automotive technician certification program. The Northeast Texas Community College educational pathway is the first of its kind in the nation offered by an accredited college.
– At the school, students “work on EV systems and conversions through a comprehensive curriculum and hands-on training” according to a press release.
– Certification will be part of the larger Carroll Shelby Automotive Program offered at the school. It has been shaped in partnership with Legacy EV, a provider of EV aftermarket applications and education programs.
– The certification program will include a five-part curriculum that examines EV history and technology, encompassing motors, batteries, chargers and converters.
MERCEDES-BENZ AND SILA ACHIEVE BREAKTHROUGH WITH HIGH SILICON AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY
– Mercedes-Benz takes another major step in building the world’s most desirable electric cars. The inventor of the automobile today announced that it will work with Sila, a next-generation battery materials company, to incorporate Sila’s silicon anode chemistry in batteries which are optionally available for the first time in the upcoming electric Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
– The innovative high-silicon anode material will increase the energy density of batteries without compromising safety or other performance parameters. Compared to today’s commercially available cells with a comparable format, Sila’s technology enables a 20-40% increase in energy density reaching more than 800 Wh/l at cell level. This major development enables Mercedes-Benz to store much more energy in the same space, thus increasing range of its future vehicles by a significant amount.
– The advanced silicon anode materials will be manufactured using 100% renewable energy in Sila’s new Washington state facility, making Mercedes-Benz the factory’s first publicly announced automotive customer. Both companies are targeting mid-decade for a range-extended-version of the electric G-Class to be equipped with the new battery technology option.
XCHARGE LAUNCHES BATTERY-INTEGRATED CHARGER IN COOPERATION WITH BYD
– The newly released Net Zero Series has a high-power output of 210kW, with the capacity to charge multiple vehicles in less than 30 minutes. Equipped with an industrial socket for easy installation, the integrated BYD liquid-cooled battery packs can store up to 466kWh of electricity and be set to different modes for smart energy management, including Battery2Grid functionality. XCHARGE is working to deploy units in Europe by year end, with a US market offering next year.
– perators only need to prepare a 30/60kW power plug to connect the charger with the grid and start the EV charging business immediately. Fast charging no longer needs construction heavy project, it’s all packed into one “plug-able” piece. Since it’s unnecessary to build foundation under the charger, relocation is also made easy. Just unplug and mount it at a new location with minimal headache.
- Original Source : https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/xcharge-launches-battery-integrated-charger-in-cooperation-with-byd-301548575.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to help educate your friends, family or colleagues about electric cars?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT