Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 17th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
CADILLAC LYRIQ TOPS 300 MILES IN RANGE AS GM REVEALS NEW PRICING
– The Cadillac 2023 Lyriq SUV will top 300 miles in range and offer two new colors, but it is getting a price bump from initial estimates.
– The rear-wheel drive Lyriq will start at $62,990, a $3,000 price bump from the Lyriq Debut edition. The all-wheel drive model starts at $64,990. Initial deliveries of the all-wheel drive model will start early next year and the EPA-estimated range for that model will be announced closer to the start of production.
– Cadillac has 250,000 hand-raisers and “time will tell how many of those will convert into actual sales.” But of those interested in the Lyriq, 70% are new to Cadillac and 68% are of the younger generation, bringing down the average age of the brand’s customer.
– “With the launch of the 2023 Lyriq Debut Edition, we offered a special price for our first EV customers of $59,990,” Tatulli said. “As we move into the regular life cycle of the vehicle, we’ve adjusted pricing to reflect the content of the vehicle.”
– BMW iX is $85,000, according to Kelley Blue Book. The 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQC is expected to start at $70,000. The 2022 Jaguar I-Pace starts at $69,900. The 2023 Tesla Model Y subcompact SUV is expected to start at $61,000.
– either two years of unlimited public charging credits at EVgo charging stations or a credit of up to $1,500 toward home charger installation through Qmerit
AUDI TO RELEASE FULLY ELECTRIC A3
– According to media reports, Audi will only offer its compact A3 model in pure electric form for the next generation due in 2027, as part of its accelerated electric vehicle course.
– As reported by Auto Motor und Sport, the new A3 e-tron will be based on the Volkswagen Group’s Scalable Systems Platform (SSP) with unit battery cells. There will probably not be an e-model in the “classic” compact car layout based on the MEB from the Ingolstadt manufacturers.
– According to Auto Motor und Sport, the electric A3 will be based on the Scalable Systems Platform (SSP). VW presented this last year as part of its ‘New Auto’ strategy. VW gave only few key data on the SSP. As Audi boss Markus Duesmann, who also heads group research, stated, an “800 Volt Flex” system is to become standard for the mechatronic platform.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/05/16/audi-to-release-fully-electric-a3/
ABB AND SHELL TO LAUNCH FIRST NATIONWIDE NETWORK OF WORLD’S FASTEST EV CHARGER IN GERMANY
– Today, ABB E-mobility and Shell announce plans to launch the first nationwide network of Terra 360’s, the world’s fastest all-in-one electric car charger.
– With over 200 Terra 360 chargers to be launched across Germany in the next 12 months, ABB E-mobility and Shell will help to ensure greater charger availability and charging speed for more than 1.7 million German electric car drivers2.
– The Terra 360 is available in different configurations that can charge multiple vehicles simultaneously. Its modular design ensures peak utilization of the charging station with dynamic power distribution. The new charger also has a maximum output of 360 kW and is capable of fully charging3an electric car in 15 minutes or less.1
ELECTRIFY AMERICA ANNOUNCES PURCHASE AGREEMENT FOR 75 MEGAWATTS SOLAR GENERATION
– Electrify America announced today it has entered into a 15-year virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) with developer Terra-Gen to build a solar photovoltaic renewable energy generation project in San Bernardino County, California called Electrify America Solar Glow™ 1.
– The new solar project is expected to generate 75 Megawatts (MW) per hour at peak solar capacity or an estimated annual production of 225,000 Megawatt hours. It is projected to produce enough 100% renewable energy annually to more than offset the energy currently delivered on an annualized basis to Electrify America’s customers charging on its extensive network. The solar project is targeted to be operational by mid-2023.
– Electrify America’s first solar project in the Southern California Mojave Desert may also be expanded at the option of Terra-Gen to include a co-located battery energy storage system to further increase the delivery of renewable energy to the grid during times when more costly – and often more polluting – peaking power plants may be used to meet customer needs
Original Source : https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/184
MICHIGAN INSTALLING 30 ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS AT STATE PARKS THIS SUMMER
– Michigan state parks will get some shiny new toys this summer when electric vehicle charging stations are installed at several sites in the next few months.
– Beginning in Warren Dunes in the southwest section of the state, state parks that dot Lake Michigan’s coastline will be the first to receive an estimated 30 charging stations this year. The buildup of charging stations is widely seen as a key component to wide-scale adoption of electric cars and trucks.
– The implementation of state parks will happen in phases. Phase two, which includes state parks in the Upper Peninsula will take place next year.
SAMSUNG DROPS PLAN TO ENTER ELECTRIC VEHICLE MARKET
– Samsung, still Apple’s top rival in the smartphone segment, its proven “go-to-market strategy” won’t be applied in the finished EV segment, as the Korean tech behemoth decided recently not to manufacture its own brand of EVs, as two senior executives, both of whom are directly involved in the issue, told The Korea Times.
– The core reasons behind this decision are that it doesn’t believe its entry into the finished EV segment will see sustainable profits, and it holds the intention to continue avoiding any possible conflicts with its top clients, amid the focus on its contract-based semiconductor foundry business, according to them.
– Because of the unique nature of Samsung and Apple’s “frenemy” ties ― the former is also a major parts supplier to the latter ― investors’ focus was on Samsung’s position regarding the actual launch of a “Samsung EV.”
– Samsung Electronics is the world’s top manufacturer of televisions, home appliances and memory chips. Its battery affiliate Samsung SDI sells EV batteries to BMW and plans to broaden its battery customer base throughout its joint venture with Canada-based Stellantis. Its display affiliate Samsung Display supplies displays to carmakers, and its component unit Samsung Electro-Mechanics has Tesla as one of its clients.
Original Source : https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/05/129_329197.html
HELP TO BUY EVS IN ‘LANDMARK’ NEW ZEALAND NET ZERO CLIMATE PLAN
– New Zealand will help some people to buy electric vehicles, end its reliance on fossil fuels, lower agricultural emissions, and reduce waste going to landfill, the government has promised in the most significant announcement on climate change action in the country’s history.
– The emissions reduction plan sets the direction for climate action for the next 15 years, with a cap on the amount of greenhouse gas New Zealand can emit, in order to meet targets to limit the global average temperature rise to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.
– One of the most significant initiatives is the clean car upgrade programme, which will support lower and middle income families to transition to low-emission alternatives through a “scrap and replace” trial. That will allow eligible families to trade in their vehicles and receive support to buy electric or hybrid vehicles, which will in turn be cheaper to run.
THE NEXT GENERATION OF EV BATTERIES ARRIVE
– We seem to have been talking about the future of next-generation lithium-ion batteries forever. But now, while most of us have been preoccupied by the critical shortage of raw materials, one of those technologies—silicon anodes—has arrived for use at commercial scale in electric vehicles. As part of a two-part look at the next-gen surprise, we’ll dive this week into the factories that are promising high-concentration silicon for EVs starting next year. Next week, we’ll turn to another technology that had seemed much further away but now appears likely by the end of the decade—sodium-ion batteries.
– several companies are promising to deliver commercial-grade EV battery electrodes made of highly concentrated silicon, with increasing volumes to come over the rest of the decade. In the past month, startups Group14 Technologies and Sila Nanotechnologies each announced plans for large factories to build the electrodes, signaling the surprising arrival of the next generation of commercial EV batteries. At a time when driving range is a central show-stopper for ambivalent consumers, silicon has the potential to boost a battery’s capacity by about 20%.
UBER LAUNCHES NEW ‘COMFORT ELECTRIC’ PRODUCT TO GET TESLA AND POLESTAR VEHICLES
– Uber has launched a new product called “Comfort Electric” to get people to ride in electric vehicles, more specifically the Tesla and Polestar vehicles that the ride-sharing companies have been helping its drivers get.
– As part of Uber’s global commitment to becoming a zero-emissions mobility platform by 2040, we’re continuing to take steps to help you go electric. Last year, we announced a partnership with Hertz to make up to 50,000 Teslas available for drivers to rent by 2023. Now, with more electric vehicles on the road in the US than ever before, we’re excited to introduce Comfort Electric, our newest way for you to get around town in style and be a part of the climate solution. It’s as simple as tap a button and request a ride in a premium EV like a Tesla or Polestar. Comfort Electric is now available in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Dubai, with more cities to come soon.
– The product sits above Uber Green, which includes both electric vehicles and hybrids, and below Uber Black.It comes at a significant premium, according to first reports.
– Along with the new product for riders, Uber also launched a new EV Hub for drivers that includes everything they need to go electric.
TESLA LOSES SOME FOOTING AMONG LUXURY CAR SHOPPERS
– More luxury car shoppers considered a BMW than any brand during the first quarter of 2022. But Cadillac’s rise may be bigger news. Or perhaps Tesla’s big slip is the headline.
– Kelley Blue Book’s Brand Watch report — a consumer perception survey that also weaves in consumer shopping behavior to determine how a brand or model stacks up with its segment competitors on a dozen factors key to a consumer’s buying decision.
– BMW being the most-considered brand is nothing new. The brand held the top position for more than three years until the fourth quarter of last year. Lexus briefly took its title then. Lexus fell to third last quarter.
– Tesla, meanwhile, fell from third place at the end of 2021 to fifth at the start of 2022.
RIVIAN WARNS DISPUTE WITH SEAT SUPPLIER THREATENS PRODUCTION OF AMAZON DELIVERY VANS
– Electric-vehicle startup Rivian Automotive Inc. is suing a key supplier of seats, warning that a pricing dispute could impact production of an electric van ordered by Amazon.com Inc.Rivian in March sued the supplier, Ohio-based Commercial Vehicle Group Inc., CVGI -0.22%▼ accusing it of violating the supply contracts for seats by nearly doubling an initially agreed-upon price per unit, according to records filed with a Michigan court.
EUROPEAN COMMISSION’S PHASE-OUT OF DIESEL AND PETROL CARS BY 2035
– Last year the European Commission proposed a 2035 phase out date as part of the Fit for 55 Package. The adoption of this proposal will determine whether Europe is on track to meet net zero emissions by 2050 and fulfil its obligations under the Paris Agreement. It will also determine the future of one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases and air pollution – cars and vans.
– MEPs and EU governments are currently deciding new clean car rules, including a proposal by the EU commission that only zero-emission new cars and vans – and not hybrids – can be sold EU-wide from 2035. Leading businesses want to see that these proposals are translated into legislation, including three global car makers and some of the largest fleets in Europe.
– “At Ford in Europe, we believe that freedom of movement goes hand-in-hand with caring for our planet and each other. That’s why we are targeting all Ford vehicles to be zero emission by 2035 in line with this call, the COP26 RouteZero initiative and with our Paris Climate commitment. To successfully achieve this, EU policymakers must also establish mandatory national targets for a seamless electric charging infrastructure that lives up to the growing demand for electric vehicles, and will empower European consumers and businesses to take full advantage of living in a digital world.” – Stuart Rowley, Chair of Ford Europe
– “Volvo Cars plans to become a fully electric car company by 2030 and supports the end of fossil fuel vehicle sales in Europe by 2035. This would not only be in-line with the goals of the Paris Agreement, which require 100% zero tailpipe emission vehicle sales in Europe by 2035, but it’s just the right thing to do. The window for us to avoid the worst impacts of global warming is rapidly closing. At this critical moment, now is the time for the EU to reaffirm its leadership in climate action.” – Jim Rowan, CEO of Volvo Cars
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to help educate your friends, family or colleagues about electric cars?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT