Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 14th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
HOW FAST DOES THE FORD F-150 LIGHTNING CHARGE?
– While I was at the F-150 Lightning First Drive event, both Darren Palmer, Ford’s vice president of Electric Vehicle Programs, and Linda Zhang, the F-150 Lightning’s Chief Engineer, presented me with charging data for the Lightning and told me they wanted me to be the first person to view it because we do such good charging analysis.
– It was a line chart that had that charging power in relation to the state of charge and also charging time, so it wasn’t something we could just publish without converting it to the type of charging curve that most people are used to viewing.
– We took the info provided by Ford and created our best guess at the full charging curve, along with time estimates for the entire 0 to 100% charging session
– we found the charging curve to be aggressive enough to recharge the Lightning in an acceptable time frame since the vehicle will maintain at least 100 kW of charging power right up to 80% state of charge.
– most owners will find the Lightning will charge quickly enough to allow for long-distance driving, provided they have access to 150 kW or 350 kW DC fast chargers along their route.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/585794/ford-f150-lightning-fast-charging/
NORTHVOLT GRANTED FUNDING FOR GERMAN PLANT
– Northvolt is to recieve European funding for its battery factory in Germany
– Northvolt Three will be built in the town of Heide, close to the border of Denmark, and is to go into operation in 2025, employing up to 3,000 people.
– Germany is supporting Northvolt with more than 155 million euros
– Back in January 2021, the second round of funding for Battery IPCEI was approved by the EU Commission. With the approval, the German Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Technology is expected to fund a total of eleven projects – initially Tesla was also included as a prominent name in the industry, but the American company later withdrew its application.
– After this second round, Northvolt withdrew from the VW project in Salzgitter, but plans for its own factory continued until Heide was announced as the location for Northvolt Three in mid-March 2022. The final production capacity there is to be 60 GWh.
– The entire project is estimated at more than four billion euros, of which Northvolt itself wants to raise about two billion euros
HARLEY’S MORE AFFORDABLE ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE: LIVEWIRE S2 DEL MAR
– The electric gearheads at Harley-Davidson are targeting younger, greener, budget-bound riders. How does it expect to woo them? With a faster, leaner, $15,000 e-motorcycle.
– Harley’s electric division, LiveWire, just unveiled its forthcoming S2 Del Mar electric motorcycle. The brand’s scalable ARROW architecture, built-in GPS, cell connectivity, a structural battery case, integrated components for charging and power, and a direct drive will come standard.
– the middleweight class at 420 pounds.
– the Del Mar can cover up to 100 miles in the city. It’s not exactly the king of longevity when you compare it to the 200-plus miles some of its competitors offer.
– The 80-horsepower motor won’t have as much oomph as the brand’s flagship bike, the LiveWire One.
– The bike’s reported 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds doesn’t sound too shabby.
– The first production round of S2 Del Mar motorcycles (MSRP $15,000) won’t drop until spring 2023.
HYUNDAI TO ANNOUNCE ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLANT IN GEORGIA, ACCORDING TO REPORT
– Hyundai Motor Group could announce a new $7.5 billion electric vehicle plant near Savannah, Ga., perhaps as early as next week, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
– The paper cited unnamed sources in reporting the plant will hire 8,500 to build battery-powered cars and SUVs for the company’s Hyundai and Kia brands, as well as electric batteries.
WHAT’S BEHIND HYUNDAI MOTOR’S $7B EV PLANT PLAN IN US?
– market experts said Friday that the carmaker appears to have done the math: lucrative state incentives, tax benefits, growing demand for electric vehicles and perhaps, proximity of battery supply from its fellow South Korean company SK Innovation.
– The world’s fifth-largest carmaker will unveil the plan to build an EV plant during US president Joe Biden’s state visit to Seoul from May 20-22, according to news outlets quoting multiple sources.
– Hyundai Motor Group has manufacturing lines for EV production in its plants in South Korea, Czech Republic, India, and Indonesia, but does not have an EV-dedicated manufacturing plant yet.In addition, Georgia offers large tax incentives, in line with the Biden administration’s EV-friendly policies.
– “Georgia, for instance, gave a total of $1 billion in state incentives and tax credits for the electric carmaker Rivian Automotive’s new EV assembly plant it plans to build in Georgia.
– In an interview with Korean reporters earlier in January, Hyundai Motor’s Global Chief Operating Officer Jose Munoz had said they are working on developing concrete plans to invest $7.4 billion through 2025, which include plans to produce EVs in the US.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220513000613
IKEA US PLANS TO SELL SOLAR PANELS STARTING FALL 2022
– Ikea U.S. recently announced a partnership with SunPower Corp. to provide residential solar solutions to customers. The initiative is called Home Solar with IKEA. It is expected to launch in Fall 2022 in select California markets.
– The move would make solar solutions more accessible to homeowners since IKEA is a popular store for their house needs.
– Business Insider suggested that Home Solar with IKEA in the United States will be a direct competitor of Tesla Energy and its residential solar solutions. Tesla has become increasingly dependent on subcontractors for solar installations, according to PV Magazine. It started transitioning from a top solar solution installer to a full-suite technology supplier.
– In IKEA’s case, SunPower will install its solar panels.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-competitor-ikea-solar-panels/
IT COSTS $20,000 TO RESERVE A TESLA SEMI TRUCK
– Finally, the order books are open for the upcoming Tesla Semi truck. On top of the ability to preorder, we now have information about performance, range, and pricing. Most notably, it costs $20,000 to reserve a Tesla Semi truck
– In July 2021, Tesla announced customers would begin taking delivery of the first Tesla Semi truck units by the end of the year. However, that never happened
– Tesla hasn’t provided details about when production will actually begin. Instead, they’ve just opened the order books and allowed customers to hand over their money. As a result, you can place a $20,000 deposit to secure an early spot if production begins.
– There are two different semi-trucks available for preorder from the electric vehicle titans. Firstly, the base model with an expected price of $150,000. Alternatively, the more expensive model, with more range and other features, is expected to start at $180,000. Furthermore, the base model has 300 miles of range per charge, while the more expensive model can drive 500 miles between charging stations.
– 0 to 60 mph in just 20 seconds, even with 80,000 pounds on board.
– claimed energy consumption is lower than 2 kWh per mile.
Original Source : https://www.motorbiscuit.com/costs-20000-reserve-tesla-semi-truck/
VOLKSWAGEN SAYS IT WILL BUILD 800,000 ELECTRIC VEHICLES THIS YEAR
– Volkswagen is looking to build 800,000 electric vehicles this year as it pushes to ultimately overtake Tesla as the world’s largest producer of EVs.
– While recently speaking with Reuters, VW sales chief Hildegard Wortmann said that beyond 2022, the German car manufacturer plans to build 1.3 million EVs in 2023 while working towards its goal of electric vehicles to account for 50 per cent of all its production by 2030.
– If VW does manage to build 800,000 EVs this year, that will place it second only to Tesla in terms of EV production. Tesla produced 930,422 vehicles in 2022 and made 936,172 deliveries. The EV leader reported its Q1 2022 results, confirming that it built more than 305,000 vehicles in the first three months of the year and delivered more than 310,000 units. Elon Musk claims it is “likely” Tesla will produce 1.5 million EVs by the end of 2022.
– Diess thinks VW can overtake Tesla because of its larger product offering with both volume brands and luxury/premium brands. In its bid to become the world’s largest EV maker, VW recently committed to invest $7.1 billion to produce electric vehicles in North America and will offer 25 new EVs to buyers in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico by 2030.
EV INTEREST IS ‘TRULY SURGING BECAUSE OF GAS PRICES’
– U.S. drivers seem to be giving electric vehicles another thought as gas prices put them off internal combustion engines (ICE) for the time being.For the third day in a row, the national gas price average has hit a new record high. As of Thursday, the average price for a gallon of gas was $4.41, according to AAA. It’s no wonder, then, why Google search interest for electric vehicles and where to find them has also surged.
– “The appetite is well and truly surging because of gas prices, in part, but also because there are so many new offerings,” EVgo (EVGO) CEO Cathy Zoi told Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “We’ve now got, in the next 24 months, 50 different models of EVs coming to market. So no matter whether you want to drive an SUV or a pickup truck or a compact car, you have a choice with EVs, and they’re coming in many manufacturers.”
CLOSING THE GAP ON RURAL EV ‘CHARGING DESERTS’
– To truly transition to electric transportation, however, EV charging networks must reach all communities no matter if there’s a population of 3 million or 3 thousand. With one in 5 Americans, or about 60 million people, living in rural America, consumers, states and municipalities must also build out adequate charging infrastructure. As they do this and encourage widespread EV adoption, they will need to consider unique barriers that their urban counterparts do not.
– The price tag of bringing the necessary power to a rural EV charging site can be cost-prohibitive for private companies looking to host charging stations, ultimately contributing to so-called “charging deserts” around the country. As a result, federal funds should be directed to rural communities to upgrade their electrical infrastructure.
RENAULT TO BRING MOBILIZE BRAND TO UK, INTRODUCE TWIZY SUCCESSOR
– Recently confirmed for launch in the UK in 2023, Mobilize will come to Britain with a tandem two-seater electric urban runabout, a spiritual successor to the Renault Twizy called the Duo.
– Renault already has the vehicle enrolled in its Zity car sharing scheme that currently operates in four major European cities including Paris. Renault’s end goal with Mobilize is not to offer ride sharing, but to get other entities to offer it using its vehicles so that it can turn a profit through offering services for those vehicles.
– Aside from the Duo, Mobilize also wants to introduce a small electric cargo vehicle that is built on the same underpinnings called the Bento. Both vehicles will be available in the UK through a scheme called Mobilize Share that will operate using Renault’s existing dealer network in the country.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/585708/renault-mobilize-duo-uk-2023/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS