Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 13th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN: EV’S MATCH PROFITABILITY OF ICE EARLIER THAN PLANNED
– Speaking at the Annual General Meeting, CEO Herbert Diess said the Volkswagen Group making good progress with its transformation into a sustainable, software-centric mobility provider.
– Herbert Diess noted: “We expect the e-mobility business to match the profitability of our combustion engine business earlier than planned. Because we are rolling out our e-mobility toolkits across the board, converting a growing number of production plants and selling our technology to competitors such as Ford.”
– The Volkswagen Group is making good progress with its transformation into a sustainable, software-centric mobility provider, despite a challenging environment. Speaking at the virtual Annual General Meeting, CEO Diess said: “
– The drive system shift from combustion engines to electric vehicles is a central element of the NEW AUTO strategy. Herbert Diess: “Today, our customers can buy an electric alternative to almost all models. This means our range of electric cars is larger than that of any other car manufacturer.”
– In Europe, every fourth pure electric vehicle (BEV) came from the Volkswagen Group in 2021. In the USA, the Group’s share of the BEV market was around eight percent last year, roughly double its market share for combustion engines. More than two thirds of the 17,000 ID.4 buyers were new customers. This year, the Group will already be offering eight BEV models in the USA. In China, its largest single market, the Group delivered some 93,000 pure electric vehicles last year
– It is planned to build over 40 million vehicles on the future electric SSP single platform (Scalable Systems Platform). Reducing complexity is a key issue in this context. Under a successful pilot project run in Kassel, one large casting replaces around 30 individual parts. Using this process for the Volkswagen Trinity is currently being investigated.
– In Battery & Charging, the Group recently announced plans to build its third gigafactory in Valencia, Spain, in addition to the two locations in Salzgitter and Skellefteå, Sweden. A total of six gigafactories are to be built by 2030. Furthermore, a fixed pricing model for the volume brands has been introduced at over 300,000 charging points.
Original Source : https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4750
EVS CAN BE CHEAPER ON A MONTHLY BASIS THAN GAS-POWERED CARS
– For the 85 percent of Americans who finance their purchases of new cars, it’s how their monthly costs add up that really matters. And if you’re focusing on your monthly loan payments, why not also consider how much it costs to fuel and maintain your car every month, and bundle that into your calculations?
– Robbie Orvis, senior director of energy policy design at think tank Energy Innovation, believes that making this math transparent to car buyers will be key to boosting sales of electric vehicles. That’s why his team compiled the data and wrote a new report that compares the monthly costs of financing and operating a set of EV models against their gasoline-fueled equivalents across all 50 states.
– It then ran a monthly financing comparison using average down payments and annual financing charges for a six-year loan term. It factored in federal tax credits, along with state-specific factors including state rebates and special fees assessed on EV sales
– EVs’ higher upfront prices translated into slightly higher monthly payments, although some automakers do offer far more attractive financing rates for EVs,
– Nissan, for example, offers 0.9 percent financing for its Leaf EV compared to 3.39 percent financing for the comparable gas-powered Versa.
– Energy Innovation used Department of Energy data on maintenance costs, EPA fuel-economy data, state-by-state gasoline price data from AAA, and average residential electricity rate data from DOE to compare EVs to gas-fueled cars on these measures.
– EV models of the Ford F-150 pickup truck and Hyundai Kona SEL SUV are cheaper to finance and own in every state, largely due to the higher fuel consumption of their gas-powered equivalents. The comparative savings add up to nearly $800 a year for the Hyundai Electric SEL and nearly $1,400 a year for the Ford F-150 Lightning Pro.
– On average, EVs can save their owners about $6,000 over their lifetimes
FOXCONN TO BUILD FISKER PEAR EV AT FORMER LORDSTOWN MOTORS PLANT IN OHIO
– Fisker Inc. and Foxconn said Thursday they will partner to build Fisker’s second all-electric model, the PEAR Urban Lifestyle EV, in Ohio now that Foxconn has purchased the former Lordstown Motors plant.
– Production of the PEAR, an acronym for “Personal Electric Automotive Revolution,” is slated to begin in 2024, eventually ramping up to 250,000 units annually.
– The announcement came hours after battery-electric truck company Lordstown completed a crucial $230 million deal to sell Foxconn the former GM Assembly Plant.
– Fisker said its first-ever EV, the $37,499 Ocean SUV, is on track to begin production in Europe in November.
GOOGLE UPDATES ANDROID AUTO
– Android Auto is getting another refresh, this time with a focus on the evolving nature of vehicle touchscreens.
– Google says the new split-screen display will be standard for all Android Auto users, allowing them to access key features like navigation, media player, and messages — all from one screen.
– Automakers are starting to get creative with the size of their infotainment display, installing everything from large portrait-style screens to long vertical ones shaped like surfboards. Google says that Android Auto will now conform seamlessly to all of those varieties.
– As the screens get bigger, the likelihood that drivers will get more distracted by their displays also grows. A recent study found that drivers selecting music with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto had slower reaction times than those who were high from smoking pot. Google has been trying to work its way through this problem for several years now, but they have yet to arrive at a definitive solution.
DUCATI URBAN E-MOBILITY LAUNCHES IN THE UK
– As the UK government has announced that they will soon expand the legal use of e-scooters and create a new low-speed zero-emission vehicle category, Ducati Urban e-Mobility line has launched in the UK.
– The legendary Italian motorcycle brand has invested heavily in its personal electric vehicle collection, with a range of on and off-road electric scooters, as well as an e-bike with cutting-edge magnesium design. Coming in with top quality design and innovation at mid-range prices, with e-scooters retailing from just £299.
– Stand out products from the range include Ducati’s latest and most technically advanced e-scooter, the Pro III, which retails for £799. The 350W brushless motor, capable of 515W of peak power, teamed with a 468Wh enhanced battery, gives riders over 30 miles of autonomy on a single charge.
Original Source : https://superbike-news.co.uk/ducati-urban-e-mobility-launches-in-the-uk/
DELAWARE EXTENDS ELECTRIC VEHICLE REBATE PROGRAM
– Delaware drivers switching to electric vehicles will continue to enjoy extra savings after the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control announced it is extending the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program through the end of the year.
NORWAY RAISES WEALTH TAX, SCRAPS EV SALES TAX EXEMPTION
– Norway’s coalition government is raising the wealth tax and cutting a sales tax exemption on electric vehicles as it seeks to stem spending from its wealth fund and prevent the economy from overheating.
– will phase out the value added tax exemption for electric cars from 2023, according to a website statement on the revised budget on Thursday. The exemption will be replaced by a subsidy for EV purchases of as much as 500,000 kroner ($50,700)
– “We will continue to support those who want to buy a regular electric car, but it isn’t the community’s job to finance the purchase of the most expensive and beautiful electric cars for those who can afford it,” Finance Minister Trygve Slagsvold Vedum said in the statement.
JAPAN’S SUBARU TO BUILD ITS FIRST ELECTRIC VEHICLE FACTORY
– Subaru aims to build a dedicated EV factory in Japan in the late 2020s as part of a $1.9 billion ramp-up to respond to surging demand for battery cars in its main North American market.
– It plans to launch a mixed-production line of gasoline and electric vehicles around 2025 before opening an EV-only production line in the new factory after 2027, it said. The move would be a first for Subaru. Other Japanese automakers have yet to formally announce plans to build a dedicated EV factory.
– “The market for EVs has been changing very rapidly over the past year,” said Subaru CEO Tomomi Nakamura.
– The vehicles produced in the new factory would be exported overseas, Nakamura said, declining to reveal specifics about production capability and whether it would make Toyota Motor Corp cars.
– The announcement came on the same day that Subaru began accepting orders for its first mass-produced EV, the Solterra, developed jointly with Toyota in Japan. Subaru, however, outsourced the car’s production to Toyota, which has also just rolled out its first battery electric car.
JAPAN’S AUTO MAKERS RACE TO MAKE UP LOST GROUND ON EVS
– As pressure to decarbonize causes the global transition to electric vehicles to gather pace, Japan’s auto manufacturers find themselves at a crossroads. With the rise of protectionism and more stringent environmental standards jeopardizing Japanese manufacturers’ competitive edge, government and industry must now come together to plot out a roadmap for the future of Japan’s automotive industry.
– compared with the likes of Tesla, which has spent the last 10 years investing heavily in proprietary semiconductors and batteries and ramped up global production capacity at its hubs in the United States (California and Texas), China (Shanghai), and Germany (greater Berlin) to over 1 million vehicles per year, China’s BYD, which sold 590,000 new energy vehicles in 2021, and Germany’s Volkswagen, which has responded to the Tesla onslaught by ramping up production in Germany and China, the action taken by Japan’s car manufacturers, who have long enjoyed a competitive advantage, may only be described as lagging, including with regard to the establishment of a domestic parts supply chain.
Original Source : https://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a08003/
TESLA TO ADD CCS CONNECTOR TO SUPERCHARGERS IN THE US
– Tesla already offers Superchargers with CCS connectors in several regions, but they will now begin adding CCS connectors to Superchargers in the United States.Tesla will add the CCS connector in addition to Tesla’s own connector. This will give non-Tesla owners access the extensive charging network, Elon Musk said.
– “It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US. We are trying as best as possible to do the right thing for the advancement of electrification, even if that diminishes our competitive advantage,” Musk said.
– The Supercharger stalls could end up having a dual-head, with Tesla’s own connector and a CSS1 connector. It’s also possible that we’ll see a special adapter from Tesla to CSS1.
– That’s a bit more complicated compared to Europe, where all new Tesla models are equipped with a CSS2-compatible charging inlet — the standard connector in the European market.
RANGE ROVER SPORT PHEV DEBUTS, EV COMING IN TWO YEARS’ TIME
– Land Rover has just revealed an all-new, third-generation Range Rover Sport, and as is the trend nowadays in the industry, it comes with a plethora of electrified powertrains
– It will be available as a plug-in hybrid from launch too, but two years from now a fully-electric variant of the Sport will be added to the range.
– This coincides with another piece of information shared by Land Rover, saying that an electric version of the big Range Rover will also debut during the same year. We currently have no information about their specs, though, as nothing official has yet been announced, but both larger Range Rover EV variants will be built on the same MLA Flex platform
– until then 2023 Range Rover Sport buyers will still be able to choose one of the two PHEV versions, one of which, the P510e, is new, although it won’t be available in the US. It pairs an inline-six with an electric motor that draws from a big 38.2 kWh battery pack (with 31.8 kWh usable capacity), delivering a claimed 48 miles (77 km) of pure-electric range.
- Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/585185/2023-range-rover-sport-phev-ev/
TRUCK OEM EXECS TALK EV CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE PAIN POINTS
– The tipping point for commercial battery-electric vehicles is projected to happen around 2030. As charging infrastructure challenges loom, however, the road to commercial fleet electrification will be a bumpy one.
– That was at least the sentiment heard around the Long Beach Convention Center during this year’s Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo.
– Mathias Carlbaum, president and CEO of Navistar, told FleetOwner.
– “We have to rethink the way we do business, the way a customer runs their fleet operation, and the role of all the different players in the value chain. It won’t look the same as it does today.” “Everyone is dipping their toes in the water,” he added. “How will I charge this? What happens to the battery at the end of the cycle? This [transition] is moving so fast, will [assets] be out of date in three or four years? All of these are concerns.”
– Volvo Group published insights gained during its three-year battery-electric freight movement project. One challenge cited in the guidebook is that public charging sites for heavy-duty trucks are especially difficult to plan. Existing state laws must first allow entities other than existing utilities to re-sell electricity to zero-emission truck owners
– once allowed, considerations ranging from site design, needed power expansion, and coordination with municipalities and planning authorities can be cumbersome.
CYLINDRICAL MODELS EXPECTED TO EMERGE AS MAINSTREAM IN EV BATTERY MARKET
– An increasing number of automakers are focusing on cylindrical electric vehicle (EV) batteries, and the examples include BMW. According to industry sources, the company is considering using cylindrical instead of prismatic batteries in its new platform starting from 2025 and this is for the purpose of battery cost reduction.
– Cylindrical batteries are small and standardized in size, high in energy density, and easy and inexpensive to produce in quantity. Although those are somewhat disadvantageous in terms of space utilization, the ongoing EV battery shortage is likely to last long and cylindrical batteries are emerging as an alternative.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=92613
EUROPE’S EV BATTERY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT NOT GOING AS PLANNED
– Northvolt is failing to reach an acceptable battery cell yield. According to industry sources, its ratio of defective battery cells is more than 60 percent. Under the circumstances, the company recently began to replace its Chinese manufacturing equipment with South Korean.
– Northvolt said that it would produce 300,000 EV batteries a year in Sweden starting from the second half of this year. However, the goal is unlikely to be met as the equipment replacement and stabilization will take time. This is also affecting Volkswagen Group, which is in partnership with Northvolt. The automaker recently asked LG Energy Solution and SK On to develop prismatic EV batteries, despite the fact that the two companies are currently producing pouch-type and cylindrical batteries without producing prismatic ones.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=92599
EV STARTUP CANOO IS BURNING THROUGH CASH BUT CLAIMS PRODUCTION IS STILL ON TRACK
– This was supposed to be the year that American startup Canoo would start building its podlike electric Lifestyle Vehicle, but it’s now looking like the project may never get fully off the ground. In its first-quarter earnings report, Canoo acknowledged that it is running out of cash, writing that “there is substantial doubt about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern.”
– Canoo was founded in 2017 under the name Evelozcity after former BMW executive Stefan Krause jumped ship from perennially troubled startup Faraday Future. Canoo unveiled the Lifestyle Vehicle in 2019.
– Canoo claims it built 17 production-intent prototypes in the first quarter, bringing the total prototype count to 39 vehicles, and completed more than 2000 miles of winter testing.
– CLARIFICATION 5/12/22: A Canoo representative, Pawel Zoneff, reached out to Car and Driver to clarify the company’s situation. Despite the gloomy financial numbers, Canoo claims that the $600 million in accessible capital that it recently raised will allow it to continue forward with its plans to begin production of its Lifestyle Vehicle this year in its Arkansas plant. The headline of this article has been updated to reflect this clarification.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT